2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Affordable golf Simulator?

Greasegun

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want an optishot either but have been considering the used vector pro launch monitors for sale on ebay. I've seen some go for less than an optishot and I'm guessing you'd get more accurate info.

Also, I'm holding out hope that someone who makes the personal launch monitors (ES14 and similar) will eventually make one that hooks up to computer/projector/something to make it like an optishot but better... but I'll just keep holding my breath on that one.

[quote name='displayname' timestamp='1421635446' post='10773809']If you're not into the optishot, and not into $5k (more like $10+), you're not into owning a golf simulator.

Hopefully tech advances change that soon.[/quote]

I agree. Unfortunately Optishot is about the only decent simulator for us peasants who cannot afford to build a wing in our house for the same $10,000 simulators that the big box stores have. I think technology will be able to bring a cheap trackman type sim to the masses sooner than later.

I was curious why the OP is against Optishot? I always thought it was pretty good for the price paid.

Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana D+
Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

[quote name='Armypilot84' timestamp='1421639791' post='10774267']
Yea Crossfield uses Gc2. I believe it's the Trackman's biggest competitor
[/quote]

Yup, and just the gc2 unit will set you back over $5k. Plus you'd still have to invest in SIM software and projector or display of some type.

I've been spending a lot of time on [url="http://forum.ottawagolf.com/forumdisplay.php?101-Home-Simulators-General."]http://forum.ottawag...lators-General.[/url]

Here is the super fast version. Optishot is your answer , i'm not sure why you are against it but when you combine the words affordable and simulator that is your answer. Best club data for the price.

Next up imo is Skytrak, which as a simulator is pretty lacking. Great ball data but no club data. Mainly the software is behind. I think in the next 2years Skytrak is going to be the best sub 5k thing out there. Especially as they roll out software and some type of club sensor tracking.

Then you have GC2 w/ HMT and maybe with ProTee 2.0 is going to run you 10-15k depending on new/used etc. But will be very accurate , great indoors, good club and ball data.

There are quite a few options but I think those are the some of the best in their respective price points.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

I have had the optishot for 2 years. Its true its not a trackman but I still enjoy using it. It recently went online so now I can play matches with other people. Its not terrible once you get it dialed in. Winter months in Minnesota are very long so for me its any port in a storm kind of thing. Between that and hitting balls into a net and regripping my clubs I make it through the winter.

Handicap 7.7

Another vote for the Optishot here. Once you input your club data, the software does a good job. The software courses are entertaining as well.

Rather than just randomly banging balls into a net in the shop with no feedback, the Optishot at least gives some guidance as to what is happening during the ball-strike. You still need to go to a range (if available at this time of year) to get the "real" story.

If you have a rangefinder then you can chart your shots at the range and input the distances into the Optishot software to get more accurate read outs.

Just recently, Optishot had a software update if that is what is keeping it off your "to buy" list.

Is it perfect?...far from it. Is it $5K?...far from it.

Bottom line...it encourages you to hit more balls. That is never a bad thing in this sport.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

I am not sure this is cheap, but I saw the Optishot for 50% off at Dicks Sporting Goods. 200 bucks.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9 degrees - Ventus Blue 5S
Sim Max 3HL 16.5 - Ventus Red 6S

Callaway Apex UW @21 - Ventus Red 7s
Titleist TS2 4H @23 - Ventus blue 8s
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G- Nippon 950GH
Titleist SM8 54, 60
Bettinardi Queen Bee 6 - Stability Shaft

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 - Stability Tour

Anyone know how accurate Optishot is? I mainly care about the ball flight, spin, and launch angle. Distance is less important to me. I really want something that will let me know if I am hitting a hook, draw or slice, when I feel like I am.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1421683065' post='10776113']
Anyone know how accurate Optishot is? I mainly care about the ball flight, spin, and launch angle. Distance is less important to me. I really want something that will let me know if I am hitting a hook, draw or slice, when I feel like I am.
[/quote]

If you are looking for accurate indoor ball data I think that SkyTrak is the most accurate (for the money) right now. Optishot only "sees" club data and derives everything from that afaik. So the 3 things you listed as being important won't be that great. But a Skytrak doesn't have any simulator software currently.

Though E6(software) is apparently in the works for SkyTrak and also WGT though I"m not sure how that is going to work. Oh and the SkyTrak only works with certain versions of Ipad....

Have I mentioned that the home simulator market is pretty terrible?

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

BTW, the ES14 communicates with iPad which can be connected to projector with Lightening to HDMI adapter. It only measures CHS and BS and calculates the rest, but you CAN get it on a big screen.

Just saying.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

[quote name='Greasegun' timestamp='1421635321' post='10773797']
Is there a golf simulator out there that is affordable and actually works? Not interested in the Optishot. And not interested in spending 5g either.
[/quote]If you are not wanting a projector system where you project the ball flight and the background onto a large screen then a used Vector Pro is your best bet. You can easily purchase one with all the software for under 1K used. You will also need a net and a good mat which will run you another 750 or so for quality parts. Don't skimp on the mat or you will spend what you saved at the doctor trying to rehab your wrists and elbows.

If interested send me a PM. I have a Vector pro with all the software and a computer to run it.

I used it for five or so years but now have a GC2 and the software, cage, projector and computer to have a full on, play a lot of different courses system.

I contacted Golfzon who have some really good simulators and make the ones the that play during the winter. For a good quality setup your looking at 20K+, and depending on how fancy you want it to be you could spend up to 50k.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Greasegun' timestamp='1421703993' post='10778451']
Ronsc, I can get a net and mat for free from a friend, and dont need the projection. Can the vector pro be hooked up to a moniter or tv or does it just give data? I think Ideally it would be nice to at least have something that allows you to quickly get some visual feedback on ball flight.
[/quote]Yes you can hook it up to a monitor through the computer you are using. In fact that is exactly the setup I had. All you are really doing is mirroring the computer display to a larger screen. If you want you could send it to a larger display like a flat panel LCD TV that has a HDMI input port which most all have had for quite a few years.

The Vector Pro has various display outputs one of which is a ball track in both the horizontal and vertical plane. It also has a range view which is just hitting down a range with a view from where you hit it from.

I bought a [url="http://www.p3proswing.com/"]p3proswing[/url] a little while ago for like $450 on ebay. It's got more sensors than Optishot so it's supposed to be more accurate. I haven't had a chance to set it up yet, but slowly working on it. I set the actual piece into a nice mat recently so it will be like hitting off a standard mat at a driving range. Even though it doesn't show you all of the stats, I think it should still be useable and enjoyable as a simulator and being able to play courses and practice. Knowing path at impact and if the face is open or closed is really good and useable information. You won't be able to fit anyone on it, but it'll be several years before those type of simulators are affordable.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1421683065' post='10776113']
[/quote]

The ball flight is simulated by measuring the clubhead angle, toe/heel strikes, and clubhead path over the infrared sensors. Spin is calculated from those inputs.

Launch angle is not measured, nor is ball spin. In fact, a topped shot or a skyed shot is measured as a center hit if it occurs in the y-plane of the center of the clubhead. That is a definite negative.

MOST of my shots reflect what I see in the reality of the golf course range. But there are some real doozies once in a great while. 148 mph clubhead speed on very poorly hit shots when trying something new for example. Of course, nobody on WRX hits "very poor shots".

A fat shot will slow down the clubhead so it does register that on the machine.

[quote name='Greasegun' timestamp='1421691936' post='10777105']
Thanks for all of the input. Only reason im against the optishot is because of all the bad reviews I have read. Some say if you hit down on it with an iron it breaks it. What say you?
[/quote]

Yes, it can be broken if you are a "digger". The company has sent me a couple of replacement plastic stations for broken ones. They have very good customer service in my experience. They were refirbished, of course.

The best solution is to buy a thicker mat from eBay. $54 if I remember correctly. Problem solved....but at a price.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

Here's what I did for the mat for the p3proswing. As you can see the mat has a lot more laser holes than the opiswing. I'll do a full post once I get everything up and going, but figured I'd post this here to give you an idea of what I did.

[attachment=2578821:simulatormat1.jpg]

TM Spider X

The p3pro is maybe a step above optishot. The ball data varies from about right to not really, and there are of course some anomalies with it every now and then. The new version allows you to tweak each club's yardage etc ... which is great but I've yet to get it right.

Overall though when playing 18 on it, it feels fairly realistic to me and friends. "Yeah this is about where you'd be playing from." "Yep we've seen that shot from you before." :)

It's not a LM though. So you can't really expect the ball data to be what you need.

For the club head data though it's fairly accurate. And this is quite useful to get better. If you have a beginner starting out they can see they're OTT and hitting on the toe .. every time. I've been able to groove a good in-out-in path with it and have got the face angle fairly square. It certainly has helped my game and is great for the winter. I usually just play Doral with a 4 iron and a sand wedge.

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

[quote name='JimNewton' timestamp='1421781164' post='10784617']
The p3pro is maybe a step above optishot. The ball data varies from about right to not really, and there are of course some anomalies with it every now and then. The new version allows you to tweak each club's yardage etc ... which is great but I've yet to get it right.

Overall though when playing 18 on it, it feels fairly realistic to me and friends. "Yeah this is about where you'd be playing from." "Yep we've seen that shot from you before." :)

It's not a LM though. So you can't really expect the ball data to be what you need.

For the club head data though it's fairly accurate. And this is quite useful to get better. If you have a beginner starting out they can see they're OTT and hitting on the toe .. every time. I've been able to groove a good in-out-in path with it and have got the face angle fairly square. It certainly has helped my game and is great for the winter. I usually just play Doral with a 4 iron and a sand wedge.
[/quote]

Yeah, I would agree with this. I don't see it in anyway being a launch monitor and precise. More of just having fun and playing a simulator and using it for what it is. It will give me the opportunity to play golf and stay somewhat fresh during the winter and give me some semblance of where my game is. I'll take that right now. At least until the full combo of Launch Monitor/Simulator becomes a reasonable price.

TM Spider X

[quote name='IHFN' timestamp='1421770590' post='10783289']
Here's what I did for the mat for the p3proswing. As you can see the mat has a lot more laser holes than the opiswing. I'll do a full post once I get everything up and going, but figured I'd post this here to give you an idea of what I did.

[attachment=2578821:simulatormat1.jpg]
[/quote]

How is that going to work out if you hit those holes with an iron? Looks like the leading edge of the club could grab that. Are you supposed to hit off a tee?

[quote name='trumb1mj1' timestamp='1421778974' post='10784299']
I think for ball data, the [color=#282828]Skytrak is going to be the next big thing... I love the GC2 but cannot justify that sorta cash. Skytrak does what the GC2 does but costs significantly less.[/color]
[/quote]

I haven't heard of the skytrak before. I just checked out their webpage and it actually looks pretty cool (and you're right, 2k is slightly less painful). Plus, after a little time, I'm sure they'll pop up used and you'll be able to get one a little cheaper. I'm going to keep my eye on those. Thanks for the heads up.