2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Scotty Cameron great putters or bag bling?

freeze1617

Can't deny that scotty makes some amazing putters. I believe most buy into the hype and bling factor. Not to mention for a club ho you pretty much have unlimited options with all the differant products focused around scotty merch. For golf collectors there is some great products to collect that hold or go up in value.
For me I rolled many putters before making my last purchase. Scotty's indeed felt great , rolled nice , looked nice and would have got the job done as good or better than others I tried. I decided I save a few hundred and get a odessey that performed as good or better than any of the Scottys I rolled.

Ya there GI irons ... but I keep em clean .

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a Scotty Cameron in every market.

It's corporate. It's all about selling the brand and making the $$$.

Morally, I'd say they reside somewhere around the argument that says, "if you're willing to hand me your money I deserve it more than you."

They convince people that it's not only okay but that it's downright important that everyone carry around these ridiculous preferences about every little line on a club. If a little bevel on the side of the putter "makes it for you," I can say with supreme confidence that you have been bought and sold by the marketing.

There will come a day when I buy a SC, but I can promise that a little piece of me will die in that moment.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

heres the thing with a scotty putter, you don't throw it away the next year like a taylormade, yes, ping, or any other big box manufacture. They are kind of like time pieces and people hang on to them regardless of condition.

TM M1 460 9.5* Matrix BT 6M3 X
TM M1 15* Aldila Rogue Black X
Cobra King Pro MB 2-Pw C-taper 130 X
Callaway MD3 52* S Grind
Callaway MD3 58* S Grind
Odyssey MXM Versa #1

Hang around the practice green at a top amateur tournament where nobody is getting paid to play anything; you'll get your answer.

I turned an old Ping belly putter into a counterbalanced 38" putter to see if I liked it as much as I thought I would. I did, and hit EVERY counterbalanced putter in the PGA Superstore hoping to find something that I liked better than the Camerons; there simply wasn't anything that compared. You can call it bling if you want to, and for some players it might be only that. But Camerons are legitimately a better product, and THAT is the reason that so many good players pony up the bucks for them.

I bought my first Scotty as soon as I could afford one. It was a brand new Catalina, couldn't putt for toffee with it though so I went back to my old Anser. I have since acquired quite a collection and to be honest the only one I actually like gaming is a studio stainless Newport Beach. Plain and simple with a beached head set at two degrees loft and with all paintfill removed. I had that for several years in my bag until I switched to a heavier and shorter c&l. Imo the new lines from Scotty aren't great. I prefer the classic putters they used to produce.

I suppose if you see someone with a scotty they will probably have a nice watch and car to go with it. It's just a premium priced product that does exactly the same job as a £50 ping Anser.

I have 3 Camerons, a few Bettinardi, a few Cleveland, and odyssey. They all feel a little different and play a little different. I'm trying to narrow it down but it looks like the Futura X5 is going to start the season in the bag. Is it because it's a Scotty? No, because it's putting the best role on the ball in my basement.

Callaway Rogue ST LS ***  Fujikura Rombax Type X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Callaway Rogue ST LS 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Callaway TCB 4-GW w/Project X 6.0
Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

[quote name='finchi5' timestamp='1422307241' post='10822759']
I bought my first Scotty as soon as I could afford one. It was a brand new Catalina, couldn't putt for toffee with it though so I went back to my old Anser. I have since acquired quite a collection and to be honest the only one I actually like gaming is a studio stainless Newport Beach. Plain and simple with a beached head set at two degrees loft and with all paintfill removed. I had that for several years in my bag until I switched to a heavier and shorter c&l. Imo the new lines from Scotty aren't great. I prefer the classic putters they used to produce.

I suppose if you see someone with a scotty they will probably have a nice watch and car to go with it. It's just a premium priced product that does exactly the same job as a £50 ping Anser.
[/quote]Believe it or not I spent more on my last putter than I did on my last 3 cars combined. I catch hell from buddies when it comes to watches and vehicles. True Story. (2002 Trailbazer $1400, 2007 Corolla with rollup windows and no power doors $6,000, 95 shortbus $1500) I stopped caring about cars after kid #3. When I was single I had a Tahoe, Boxter, and a RX400H ..... Ohh how times have changed.

Ping G400 Max 10.5 Accra Z55 LS
Callaway Rogue 4 wood
Callaway Epic 19* Accra FX1000
Srixon Z565 4-AW
Vokey Indigo 54
Vokey Indigo 60
Camico Newport 2

For the life of me, I can't figure out why people complain about Cameron's and their pricing. First of all, if you don't like the price don't buy one. Just don't tell other people how to spend THEIR money.
Secondly, Cameron's are milled putters. Look what milled Odyssey's, Pings, Betti's, and others cost. They are all close in price and some are even more than a Scotty. Are other manufacturer's that offer milled putters just offering their customers "bling"? Why don't people complain about THOSE manufacturer's and their prices?

When are we going to start complaining about the cost of drivers and run those companies under the bus? People will drop 400.00-500.00 on a new driver, hit it less times during the course of a round of golf than they do their putter, but dropping that kind of coin on a driver seems to be ok with people.
I just don't get this argument, or the constant Cameron bashing that goes on here. Sad.
If you don't like Scotty Cameron putters, don't buy one. But you can't compare a $80.00 cast putter with a $300.00 milled putter as apples and oranges.

[quote name='T-MAC' timestamp='1422325407' post='10824787']
For the life of me, I can't figure out why people complain about Cameron's and their pricing. First of all, if you don't like the price don't buy one. Just don't tell other people how to spend THEIR money.
Secondly, Cameron's are milled putters. Look what milled Odyssey's, Pings, Betti's, and others cost. They are all close in price and some are even more than a Scotty. Are other manufacturer's that offer milled putters just offering their customers "bling"? Why don't people complain about THOSE manufacturer's and their prices?

When are we going to start complaining about the cost of drivers and run those companies under the bus? People will drop 400.00-500.00 on a new driver, hit it less times during the course of a round of golf than they do their putter, but dropping that kind of coin on a driver seems to be ok with people.
I just don't get this argument, or the constant Cameron bashing that goes on here. Sad.
If you don't like Scotty Cameron putters, don't buy one. But you can't compare a $80.00 cast putter with a $300.00 milled putter as apples and oranges.
[/quote]i don't think anyone complained about pricing. Your post makes no sense and doesn't refer to the subject at all. Why not start a subject about driver pricing and stop whining. And BTW you can compare apples to oranges, they both grow on a tree, both are fruit have seeds. Open your mind. You can compare anything to anything.

cally dbd 9*
TEE CB Pro 14.5 & 17.5
Callaway x utility graphite 21*
Fourteen FH1000 4-p
Fourteen rm12 52/10, 58/8
Odyssey black series tour design #4
WITB Link

I putted with the same Ping Anser 2 for years and years, since I started playing. When I graduated from college and had a little money I started upgrading my equipment. Finally got an SC and gamed it for awhile. Went through many other brands (and made miles of putts with them) but ultimately came back to gaming SC's. Currently a Circa 62. I like a milled carbon steel putter (odessey makes some amazing ones). I don't like inserts. So why a Scotty? In part because it's a good putter that I play well with and in part, honestly, just because it's a Scotty and it makes me feel good.

Titleist TS
Titleist 915F 5W and TSi 7W

Srixon ZX5 w/ Recoil 95
Bettinardi - 56 & 60
Piretti Forza
Titleist AVX

The Cameron marketing is in everyone's head. You like them, you own a few. You hate them, you own something else.

I really think their product is just as good as everything else out there. I am a bigger fan of the SC classic designs (ie...his original copies of all karsten's designs).

The newer lines with the weights, three dots, and all the ridiculous engravings are walking the line of "screaming for your attention on the shelf" ugly. And the 2015 mallets are clearly designed to get your attention.

I hope to see a re-introduction of some of the lighter head weight designs with finer face milling.

[quote name='freeze1617' timestamp='1422326834' post='10824969']

[/quote]i don't think anyone complained about pricing. Your post makes no sense and doesn't refer to the subject at all. Why not start a subject about driver pricing and stop whining. And BTW you can compare apples to oranges, they both grow on a tree, both are fruit have seeds. Open your mind. You can compare anything to anything.
[/quote]

Who's whining? Sounds like you are to me. You, along with all the other Cameron bashers here that take every opportunity they can to complain about Cameron, his products, and his pricing.
Referencing Cameron putters as "bling" IS complaining about the price. Talk about "opening up your mind", you may want to give it a try and look around.
Sure you can compare a cheap, cast putter to a milled stick. Both put the ball in the hole. But that's where it ends, especially when comparing how each one is made and WHY pricing is what it is.
But why is a milled Cameron considered "bling" but a milled putter by another manufacturer not? Why insinuate that Cameron's are overpriced but milled sticks from someone else aren't? In fact, I would argue just the opposite. Buy a Scotty Cameron and a milled putter from another manufacturer, game them both for 6 months, and see which one you can sell for more money.
I collect putters. I've bought and sold hundreds over the past 10+ years and currently have about 60 or so in my collection. I have several Cameron's, not because they are "bling" or I drank the Cameron Kool-aid but because he's made some very good putters over the years.
I've paid more money for several Betti's, Byron's, Mills, etc. than I have for Scotty's, but I don't hear them referred to as "bling" or hear people insinuate that you over pay for those putters because any $80.00 cast putter can get the job done.

I'm no pal of Scotty Cameron. In fact, I don't really care for his new line of mallets, the deep milling on his newer putters, and I don't like some of the business decisions he's made in the past. But I know a good putter maker when I see one and the bashing here just gets old and boring IMHO.

So "compare" putters, apples and oranges, or crap and ice cream all you want, but one thing is for sure.
- Scotty Cameron is laughing all the way to the bank.

They're great putters, period. I was in doubt before I purchased one. They also look great, but it's also nice how you buy a Scotty for $300 and years later used it's still worth $150-$200. Take a $300 odyssey for example a set it in your closet brand new for 6 months and you're lucky to get a Benjamin out of it.

Titleist TSR2 10* Ventus Black 6X
Ping 430 LST 15* Ventus Black 7X

Ping G430 Max 5w ADIZ 8X 
Titleist U500 4 DG TI X100
Titleist T100 5-Pw DG TI S400
Titleist SM9 Raw 50.08F, 54.08M, 60.04T DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X7
WITB

[quote name='T-MAC' timestamp='1422329724' post='10825287']

[/quote]

Who's whining? Sounds like you are to me. You, along with all the other Cameron bashers here that take every opportunity they can to complain about Cameron, his products, and his pricing.
Referencing Cameron putters as "bling" IS complaining about the price. Talk about "opening up your mind", you may want to give it a try and look around.
Sure you can compare a cheap, cast putter to a milled stick. Both put the ball in the hole. But that's where it ends, especially when comparing how each one is made and WHY pricing is what it is.
But why is a milled Cameron considered "bling" but a milled putter by another manufacturer not? Why insinuate that Cameron's are overpriced but milled sticks from someone else aren't? In fact, I would argue just the opposite. Buy a Scotty Cameron and a milled putter from another manufacturer, game them both for 6 months, and see which one you can sell for more money.
I collect putters. I've bought and sold hundreds over the past 10+ years and currently have about 60 or so in my collection. I have several Cameron's, not because they are "bling" or I drank the Cameron Kool-aid but because he's made some very good putters over the years.
I've paid more money for several Betti's, Byron's, Mills, etc. than I have for Scotty's, but I don't hear them referred to as "bling" or hear people insinuate that you over pay for those putters because any $80.00 cast putter can get the job done.

I'm no pal of Scotty Cameron. In fact, I don't really care for his new line of mallets, the deep milling on his newer putters, and I don't like some of the business decisions he's made in the past. But I know a good putter maker when I see one and the bashing here just gets old and boring IMHO.

So "compare" putters, apples and oranges, or crap and ice cream all you want, but one thing is for sure.
[/quote]

Look, every putter maker should send Scotty a gift every year for his birthday for showing the world that there was a market for $350 retail putters.

His marketing strategy has been nothing short of solid for many years. He convinced a lot of us that his milled putters had a higher perceived value than a cast putter.

[/quote]saying something

[/quote]saying something is bling is complaining about the price? Really? I never thought bling was a reference to complaining about a high price. I still don't but good try trying to spin it. You have 60 putters and sold hundreds, your the greatest. You have to stick with your argument and not change it. First you post you can't compare them, now you say you can. Who ever stated they were overpriced? I stated they were bought for bag bling then performance. Great putters play everything form high end to cast to insert. It is obvious that you are the stereotype for buying high end putters to impress not to perform.

cally dbd 9*
TEE CB Pro 14.5 & 17.5
Fourteen FH1000 4-p
WITB Link

[quote name='freeze1617' timestamp='1422331197' post='10825471']
saying something is bling is complaining about the price? Really? I never thought bling was a reference to complaining about a high price. I still don't but good try trying to spin it. You have 60 putters and sold hundreds, your the greatest. You have to stick with your argument and not change it. First you post you can't compare them, now you say you can. Who ever stated they were overpriced? I stated they were bought for bag bling then performance. Great putters play everything form high end to cast to insert. It is obvious that you are the stereotype for buying high end putters to impress not to perform.
[/quote]

Where did you get your special insight into the motivation of Cameron buyers? Perhaps you have access to some research on the matter?

Or perhaps not.

[quote name='longleft' timestamp='1422330180' post='10825359']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Look, every putter maker should send Scotty a gift every year for his birthday for showing the world that there was a market for $350 retail putters.

His marketing strategy has been nothing short of solid for many years. He convinced a lot of us that his milled putters had a higher perceived value than a cast putter.
[/quote]without a doubt, he created a market

cally dbd 9*
TEE CB Pro 14.5 & 17.5
Fourteen FH1000 4-p
WITB Link

I think they are as good as anything else. When I see someone with a totally new Cameron in the bag, though, I tend to think poser unless they have game to go with it. Compared to Bettinardi, where I think, "Bless their heart...they're trying."

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='Marand' timestamp='1422331474' post='10825495']
saying something is bling is complaining about the price? Really? I never thought bling was a reference to complaining about a high price. I still don't but good try trying to spin it. You have 60 putters and sold hundreds, your the greatest. You have to stick with your argument and not change it. First you post you can't compare them, now you say you can. Who ever stated they were overpriced? I stated they were bought for bag bling then performance. Great putters play everything form high end to cast to insert. It is obvious that you are the stereotype for buying high end putters to impress not to perform.
[/quote]

Where did you get your special insight into the motivation of Cameron buyers? Perhaps you have access to some research on the matter?

Or perhaps not.
[/quote]too boring

cally dbd 9*
TEE CB Pro 14.5 & 17.5
Fourteen FH1000 4-p
WITB Link

[quote name='Luke7' timestamp='1422329904' post='10825311']
They're great putters, period. I was in doubt before I purchased one. They also look great, but it's also nice how you buy a Scotty for $300 and years later used it's still worth $150-$200. Take a $300 odyssey for example a set it in your closet brand new for 6 months and you're lucky to get a Benjamin out of it.
[/quote]totally true, why? Performance? Or I always wanted a Scotty? Performance or bag bling?

cally dbd 9*
TEE CB Pro 14.5 & 17.5
Fourteen FH1000 4-p
WITB Link

[/quote]saying something

[/quote]saying something is bling is complaining about the price? Really? I never thought bling was a reference to complaining about a high price. I still don't but good try trying to spin it. You have 60 putters and sold hundreds, your the greatest. You have to stick with your argument and not change it. First you post you can't compare them, now you say you can. Who ever stated they were overpriced? I stated they were bought for bag bling then performance. Great putters play everything form high end to cast to insert. It is obvious that you are the stereotype for buying high end putters to impress not to perform.
[/quote]

Ahh yes...............I buy high end putters to "impress", not for their performance.
Actually, it's called a HOBBY. I don't try, nor do I need, to impress anybody.

Maybe YOU should try a hobby? I mean, instead of Cameron bashing and/or trying to guess why other people spend THEIR money on certain products.
Because you aren't very good at either one.

Scotty makes some nice stuff but there are many other good designs and brands out there.

Brand snobbery does drive sales however.

TaylorMade 2017 M2 10.5* driver
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 3 wood
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 5 wood
TaylorMade M2 2016 3-4-5 hybrids
TaylorMade 7-AW Burner 2010 black irons
Scratch 53* DD and 60*SS wedges
Newport Buttonback putter with custom welded 1.5 neck (or any of another dozen I've built for myself)
2009 Presidents' Cup staff bag with assorted USA theme headcovers
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1158231-torreyrats-2015-bag/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='T-MAC' timestamp='1422332126' post='10825565']

[/quote]saying something

[/quote]

Ahh yes...............I buy high end putters to "impress", not for their performance.
Actually, it's called a HOBBY. I don't try, nor do I need, to impress anybody.

Maybe YOU should try a hobby? I mean, instead of Cameron bashing and/or trying to guess why other people spend THEIR money on certain products.
Because you aren't very good at either one.
[/quote]why do you post some words in capitol letters? I don't know if you realize this but this is a golf website. And we are golfers, for most of us it is a hobby. Show me one post where I bashed Cameron putters? I agree you are not impressing anyone. You make little sense you say you buy putters to impress, not for performance. In the next sentence you say you don't need to impress anyone.

cally dbd 9*
TEE CB Pro 14.5 & 17.5
Fourteen FH1000 4-p
WITB Link