2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

On 2/23/2020 at 2:52 PM, bryanwmilburn said:

Played 18 holes today - 9 with the MTB Black (yellow) and 9 with the Bridgestone BX previous model. There’s just something I enjoy about playing a yellow ball. So easy to track, so easy to tell it’s yours. Not to mention this ball just flat out performs. Love the short game spin I get from this ball too. As good as any. Long off the tee, can control trajectory. Everything I want. I was considering moving into a Titleist or Bridgestone but for the price you can’t beat this ball!

How does the black compare to the BX? I am currently playing previous model of the BX.  Swing SS for driver around 105-107.  Does the black go higher? Longer? How is it in the wind? Thanks 

2 hours ago, Jlender21 said:

How does the black compare to the BX? I am currently playing previous model of the BX.  Swing SS for driver around 105-107.  Does the black go higher? Longer? How is it in the wind? Thanks 

Mtb black is my gamer. I have been playing the BX for the last couple of rounds. First off, the BX scuffs way easier than the black. I scuffed 3 in 12 holes again today. Second time I have done that.  Second, the BX spins more. Most noticeably green side and wedge.  More spin than I like. He BX is firmer

longer? Not sure. Seems shorter with irons due to spin 

wind? No idea. 

higher? I think the BX is lower

Gunga Galunga Golf - Golf Photography

38 minutes ago, Stanks said:

It definitely feels fuller but doesn’t it feel “fuller” or “more dense” to you? Hard time describing the feel them as they’re more solid feeling than most golf balls. 

I think that is a good description. More dense. 

Gunga Galunga Golf - Golf Photography

I've been playing the Bridgestone tour BX almost exclusively for the last two seasons. I've played and tested other balls but the BX is what I compare those to and always wins out. 

I played 18 holes with each Snell ball this weekend at my club, where I play 90% of my rounds so I know where I should be with driver. So I'll start there. I didn't see much difference between the Black vs. the MTB-X distance wise. Both were about as long as the Bstone. I know most say start from the green back to find their ball but if I don't like a ball with my driver, it's out. I could play either Snell based on driver performance. Not better than the tour BX but seemed to be similar. 

I was concerned about the iron spin/distance talk with the MTB-X. I didn't see it. What I did see was a ball the performed the way I would want it to with full irons shots. I had a perfect distance 9 iron today to a flat green that landed pin high, bounced forward a few feet and spun back pretty close to my ball mark. The greens were pretty firm but that's what I'm looking for. I hit the same club to a sloped green on a par 3 yesterday with the Black that landed in a location where I'd normally be in trouble and it sat. IMO the MTB-X plays similarly to the Tour BX, and the Black seemed to perform the way TM TP5X does with irons. I prefer the MTB-X and Tour BX.  I couldn't tell any distance difference between the two.   

Both balls were solid with wedge shots. The Black released a bit more but nothing I couldn't work with.    

The main difference I found was the sound. I'm not really a feel guy. I go after the ball and what something felt like a moment ago means nothing to me and I hardly notice. It's all about performance. But the MTB-X has a sound I'm not too fond of. Not a deal breaker by any means but noticeable for sure. 

For what it's worth, I had a better score with the Black. 

I was in a match both days so I couldn't really mess around much. I'll be going out on Wednesday morning alone and will do some side by side testing. But first impressions were very good. 

I gave a Black to a friend who typically plays Pro V1 X's. Big time feel guy. He said it played nearly identical and had one of his better rounds in recent memory.   

Edited by scottaz
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, scottaz said:

I've been playing the Bridgestone tour BX almost exclusively for the last two seasons. I've played and tested other balls but the BX is what I compare those to and always wins out. 

I played 18 holes with each Snell ball this weekend at my club, where I play 90% of my rounds so I know where I should be with driver. So I'll start there. I didn't see much difference between the Black vs. the MTB-X distance wise. Both were about as long as the Bstone. I know most say start from the green back to find their ball but if I don't like a ball with my driver, it's out. I could play either Snell based on driver performance. Not better than the tour BX but seemed to be similar. 

I was concerned about the iron spin/distance talk with the MTB-X. I didn't see it. What I did see was a ball the performed the way I would want it to with full irons shots. I had a perfect distance 9 iron today to a flat green that landed pin high, bounced forward a few feet and spun back pretty close to my ball mark. The greens were pretty firm but that's what I'm looking for. I hit the same club to a sloped green on a par 3 yesterday with the Black that landed in a location where I'd normally be in trouble and it sat. IMO the MTB-X plays similarly to the Tour BX, and the Black seemed to perform the way TM TP5X does with irons. I prefer the MTB-X and Tour BX.  I couldn't tell any distance difference between the two.   

Both balls were solid with wedge shots. The Black released a bit more but nothing I couldn't work with.    

The main difference I found was the sound. I'm not really a feel guy. I go after the ball and what something felt like a moment ago means nothing to me and I hardly notice. It's all about performance. But the MTB-X has a sound I'm not too fond of. Not a deal breaker by any means but noticeable for sure. 

For what it's worth, I had a better score with the Black. 

I was in a match both days so I couldn't really mess around much. I'll be going out on Wednesday morning alone and will do some side by side testing. But first impressions were very good. 

I gave a Black to a friend who typically plays Pro V1 X's. Big time feel guy. He said it played nearly identical and had one of his better rounds in recent memory.   

looking forward to the review. 

Interesting to hear the MTB Black compared to the V1X.  Is it not slotted more towards the regular V1 category of ball?

I played the "X" version of whatever ball I was into at the time, for many years, up until last year.  I switched into the '19 Pro V1, and haven't looked back.  I tried the TP5X when somebody gave me a dozen as a gift, but did not like it.

How are former V1 players liking the Snell Black?  For $15+/dozen savings, I'll definitely consider switching when I run out of my stock of the V1.  But the performance has to be right.  I really like the durability, flight, feel, and spin characteristics I get from the V1.

On 10/3/2020 at 12:31 PM, scott_Donald said:

Can anyone compare the wind performance between the MTB-X and the Bridgestone Tour BX as so far I can't find a better ball in the wind than that?

I have been playing the BXS, and recently got a dozen MTB-X (maybe prior generation).  The MTB-X reminds me of a better feeling Srixon XV.  That has been the longest, straightest ball in the wind for me.  I love the BXS and maybe because of the spin it's not quite as good in the wind, but the MTB-X is LONG and straight.  I was shocked at how good it was out on the course.  I love that ball and really want to get my hands on more.  I think the MTB-X flies a touch lower for me.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

All three of my best rounds ever have been with Snell balls. 2 with the Get Sum and one with the MTB. I decided to experiment a little after playing the MTB-X for a while and acquired some Get Sum and tee'd them up for yesterday's round. I found that I was often hitting the X higher and sometimes wilder than I wanted - but it goes a long way off the driver. I'm an 11.something now, FWIW. Well, I shot the lights out with the Get Sum yesterday. And, I know these balls aren't supposed to be as good around the green as urethane balls. But, for me that's just not the case. Greens were somewhat receptive and in one instance I hit a 4-iron on a long, uphill par 3 and stuck it 2 feet from the cup. The ball moved maybe 6 inches from where it hit. No problems chipping unless I chimp-fisted it. Putted like butter. I sunk several 8 to 12 foot par putts yesterday (I'm not proud...I'm an 11). I'm very impressed with this ball. The past few weeks I goofed around with the TM Distance+ before my Get Sum's came in and there is no comparison in terms of short game performance. Shot a personal best 78 yesterday on a legit, hilly desert course. And, I was hitting fairways or first-cuts off the tee almost all day. I think this Get Sum ball is way, way underrated. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeerPerHole said:

All three of my best rounds ever have been with Snell balls. 2 with the Get Sum and one with the MTB. I decided to experiment a little after playing the MTB-X for a while and acquired some Get Sum and tee'd them up for yesterday's round. I found that I was often hitting the X higher and sometimes wilder than I wanted - but it goes a long way off the driver. I'm an 11.something now, FWIW. Well, I shot the lights out with the Get Sum yesterday. And, I know these balls aren't supposed to be as good around the green as urethane balls. But, for me that's just not the case. Greens were somewhat receptive and in one instance I hit a 4-iron on a long, uphill par 3 and stuck it 2 feet from the cup. The ball moved maybe 6 inches from where it hit. No problems chipping unless I chimp-fisted it. Putted like butter. I sunk several 8 to 12 foot par putts yesterday (I'm not proud...I'm an 11). I'm very impressed with this ball. The past few weeks I goofed around with the TM Distance+ before my Get Sum's came in and there is no comparison in terms of short game performance. Shot a personal best 78 yesterday on a legit, hilly desert course. And, I was hitting fairways or first-cuts off the tee almost all day. I think this Get Sum ball is way, way underrated. 

Do you know the compression of the Get Sum? How does it compare to other balls in this category?

On 10/3/2020 at 3:31 PM, scott_Donald said:

Can anyone compare the wind performance between the MTB-X and the Bridgestone Tour BX as so far I can't find a better ball in the wind than that?

They’re calling for 20 to 30 mile an hour winds in my area on Wednesday, so I’ll let you know what I see. We had no wind either day this past weekend.

I agree, the BX is a great wind ball. 

Edited by scottaz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, scottaz said:

They’re calling for 20 to 30 mile an hour winds in my area on Wednesday, so I’ll let you know what I see. We had no wind either day this past weekend.

I agree, the BX is a great wind ball. 

Thank you. looking forward to seeing what you think. 

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

On 10/3/2020 at 10:25 PM, Stanks said:

Yeah I'm a fan of both Black and X. I still don't know which would I'd rather buy. The sample pack I have is half way gone but, I need to get rid of of my TP5x prior to buy more balls. 

Which ball is closest to the tp5x? I love the height and distance I get with that ball. 

1 hour ago, Jlender21 said:

Which ball is closest to the tp5x? I love the height and distance I get with that ball. 

Feel wise: neither. If you had to pick one, maybe the X because of the spin and compression etc.

TP5x I think went noticeably higher for me but MTBX went a shade higher than Black. I don’t know if I could really even tell the difference between the two. 
MTBX is the most like TP5x but it’s not super comparable

4 hours ago, monks66 said:

the MTB Black is comparable to Pro v1

the MTB-X is comparable to Pro v1x

I agree. I'm not sure why somebody earlier compared the Pro VI to the MTB-X. I've found the Black to compare much more closely to the Pro VI (and the X compare to the Pro VIx). 

Granted that is from working "green out" where I think the main thing is that the compression (and thus a large part of feel) on the X balls is similar compared to the "standard" balls of each of them. 

We all have different games and how a ball works for our swings can be unique. 

I know there's a lot of love for the TP5X. I hear others say it's great in the wind because it's low spin. But for me it fly's too high, and I don't care how low the spin is, if it's higher, the wind just has more of an opportunity to mess with it. Down wind I can't control it. Into, it balloons on me.  

I do agree the MTB-X is more similar with driver to the TP5X, but with all other clubs I found the Black more like the TP5X. Not exactly the same, just closer in comparison. The TP5X feels a little jumpy off wedges and putting and doesn't have the right spin around the greens for me.  The Black was a little better for me than the TP5X on and around the greens. The MTB-X was more like the Tour BX with everything but sound.    

When I compare the Tour BX to the TP5X, the BX is lower, more penetrating, has just the right amount of spin on full shots and wedges. Feels just right off the putter.      

• Like 1

I played in a pretty steady wind today. It got heavier as the round went on. But warm and dry. 

I thought both Snell balls held up well. I hit both into the wind on an uphill par 5 and was pleasantly suspired to be about where I normally am with less wind. I had a pretty nasty cross wind on a long par 3 and both handled it well. I'd have no issues playing either on a windy day. Neither stood out better or worse to me. I hit a few BX's on some of those holes. I really didn't see much difference in performance. 

With driver I like them both a lot. Both are as long as anything, with the edge going to the MTB-X. It was a bit longer and moved a bit less. But besides the sound, they're very similar to me.

With all other clubs, I like the MTB-X more. The Black has more of a jumpy feel to me. I just felt like I had better control with the MTB-X. Especially with wedges and the putter.  On one hole I hit 3 partial sw shots with each from 75 yards out off a tight lie. The Black went a little further than I would expect and released a few feet longer as well. I hit a few around the same distance from the rough and the difference was greater. Much better control with the MTB-X. 

I saw the same off my putter. Missed putts with the Black were a bit longer than I'd like. I hit a bunch of putts from the same spot with both and the Black was consistently a little longer with the same stroke. But this is a me issue and why I like firmer balls.     

I think the Black could be a good ball for me in wet conditions, with slower greens.  

• Like 2

Just wondering if anybody using MTB Blacks or Xs switches to a different ball in colder temperatures? Around what temperature do you switch, and what do you switch to? 

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

25 minutes ago, eric61 said:

Just wondering if anybody using MTB Blacks or Xs switches to a different ball in colder temperatures? Around what temperature do you switch, and what do you switch to? 

for me, when my balls start feeling cold, I switch to soft surlyn balls like Pinnacle Soft.  Otherwise, I keep them warm next to mine in pocket.  

I've got just about 4 dozen of the 2020 Chrome Soft with TT I got with reward points so they cost me nothing. I've played the original Snell MTB in the past and really liked it. A golfing buddy gave me a MTB Black to pay with when they first came out. I really liked that ball!. When I have to start buying balls again it will be the Snell MTB Black.

• Like 1