SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi.. sorry for the delayed response.. was on the road the last three weeks... as for the BLACK (white color or Yellow color), they are the same ball with the same launch and spin.  The USGA has a typo

when you make it to the PGA tour, we have a deal... even willing to make it a case of IPA... haha... 

Switched from X to Black two weeks ago and I got my first ace last Saturday with it. Man...great ball for me. If I were a PGA pro I'd play the MTB Black and all Dean would have to do is buy me a six-p

Posted Images

Played another round with the MTB-X, this time in very windy conditions. Really impressive performance in the wind. Hit a few drives pretty far into a straight 10-15 mph wind, and had a nice boring trajectory that still managed to go around 250 yards. A couple of guys we teamed up with never heard of Snell, so I explained who Dean is, etc. The wind calmed down on the back nine later, and I hit an absolute bomb around 320 yards, hit half a sand wedge to about 6 inches away, hopped and stopped right next to the hole. The guys were like, "I have to try those balls" When the round was over I gave each one a ball to try next time they played. What a great ball!!!

• Like 4

Driver: PING G425 LST
3 wood: Callaway Epic Flash sub zero
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Ping 54, Taylor made Hi toe wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport
Kirkland Tour ball/Snell MTB-X

6 hours ago, gioreeko said:

Played another round with the MTB-X, this time in very windy conditions. Really impressive performance in the wind. Hit a few drives pretty far into a straight 10-15 mph wind, and had a nice boring trajectory that still managed to go around 250 yards. A couple of guys we teamed up with never heard of Snell, so I explained who Dean is, etc. The wind calmed down on the back nine later, and I hit an absolute bomb around 320 yards, hit half a sand wedge to about 6 inches away, hopped and stopped right next to the hole. The guys were like, "I have to try those balls" When the round was over I gave each one a ball to try next time they played. What a great ball!!!

Yep. the X is really good in the wind. I actually lost a couple Xs when I was playing windy links golf and launched them out over the nether-lands off the tee thinking the wind would push them back over the fairway. Nope. They just bored right though the wind where I had aimed them - haha. 

Edited by BeerPerHole
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, BeerPerHole said:

Yep. the X is really good in the wind. I actually lost a couple Xs when I was playing windy links golf and launched them out over the nether-lands off the tee thinking the wind would push them back over the fairway. Nope. They just bored right though the wind where I had aimed them - haha. 

I found the same thing! I was in some really swirly sideways winds on some holes, and aimed way to the side to let the wind work it back, and they just bored through and didn't move nearly as much as I thought. Can't wait to play these when it's a little warmer and I'm not wearing a bunch of layers to stay warm. 

• Like 1

Scotty Cameron Newport

On 12/25/2020 at 7:06 PM, BeerPerHole said:

170 or so and in (I have a high ball launch angle), and high wedges, I've had crosswinds pull/push the blacks a bit, but not much maybe 1/2 the distance other balls. 200ish (+/-) and longer? Pretty damn straight in crosswinds. Took a little getting used to, but don't have to aim into the wind and expect them to come around.... because they won't. Just going at the target is the best feeling when standing on the tee, knowing not having to get into calculus. 

• Like 1

Callaway Fusion 9* / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, Callaway, 64*, Balls by Snell.

Both the X and the Black feel nice, with the X feeling a little more firm, they just really remind me of the PV1 and 1x... just better.  Wife bought me 5 dozen X for Christmas when I already have a dozen and a half here waiting as well as a couple sleeves of the Blacks.  Any other balls I have, they have just taken a back seat for now.  Such a good ball all around.

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST 10.5* PX HZRDUS Smoke yellow 6.0 60g

Ping G425 Max 14.5* Alta CB 65x

Ping G425 19* Aldila Rogue black 95ts

Bridgestone J15 CB 4-P PX LZ 6.5

Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 52, 56, 60 AWT 

Ping Anser Milled 2

MGS had a chart put up on driver speed swing speed (115) vs. spin. BOTH the X and Black are clearly visible on the chart. X=farthest, clear at the top, Black=least spin, clearly to the right. Complete standout balls. And that's why I like the Black, spin is my enemy for *my* swing.

Callaway Fusion 9* / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, Callaway, 64*, Balls by Snell.

19 hours ago, scottaz said:

Played in a pretty steady 20+mph wind today. The X is as good in the wind as I’ve played. 

I’m gonna have to try this ball, I’ve been pretty much playing BX and TP5X, should be interesting to see how it stacks up. 

Ping G425 LST 9* Fujikura Ventus Black 7X 
Ping G425 LST 14.5* Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Ping G425 19* Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX 
Srixon Z Forged 4-GW Steelfiber i95  
Cleveland ZipCore 54/58 DG TI Spinner 
PXG Gen 2 Operator Stability Tour 
ProV1X Left Dash / Tour BX

I switched to the “X”. Great ball and like OP’s stated, the ball is very durable and plays as good as the Pro v1 or TP5 which are both great balls in my opinion. 

I recently purchased 5 doz in August and my neighbor just got me 4 dozen for Christmas.  I’m sitting with almost 8 dozen in my closet right now. 

these are the best balls on the market

On 12/27/2020 at 7:43 PM, Imp said:

170 or so and in (I have a high ball launch angle), and high wedges, I've had crosswinds pull/push the blacks a bit, but not much maybe 1/2 the distance other balls. 200ish (+/-) and longer? Pretty damn straight in crosswinds. Took a little getting used to, but don't have to aim into the wind and expect them to come around.... because they won't. Just going at the target is the best feeling when standing on the tee, knowing not having to get into calculus. 

Yep.  I have found that all this year I don't have to aim as far left or right of the target with the MTB-X.  Of course that also has to do with the equipment change, but these balls just don't move as much in the wind as the other brand name balls I have tried.  It's a bit clicky off the putter and around the green, but that's fine as it performs well for me. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

After playing the MTB-X for a few rounds and really loving it, I went ahead and ordered some MTB Blacks to compare. Have to say there isn't a huge difference, I was a bit longer with the Black, but yesterday was probably the best round driving I've ever had. Missed only one fairway, and hit the longest drives of the year. My best drive in the last few weeks was around 315 with the X, and yesterday hit multiple drives around that distance, and one went around 330 yards. It was a little crowded, and I had planned on trying both balls on the tee box, but with a group watching and waiting, I didn't feel comfortable doing that, so maybe next time. The Black bit hard and spun back a little, seemed about the same as the X for me, and feel off the putter was pretty similar. Both are such good balls!!!!

• Like 3

Scotty Cameron Newport

• 2 weeks later...

I must repeat. The Get Sum is probably the most overlooked ball I've seen. How's that for an oxymoron? In this cold wintertime play I occasionally pull a sleeve of them and toss in my bag on the way out to the course and, man, these balls really perform well. I normally play the MTB-Black. For me, the Get Sum is a touch shorter off the driver. But, the MTB line is a long ball. Other than that, it keeps right up. I'm an 11 now and getting better - occasionally showing single-digit play when out practicing lately. It certainly doesn't seem like the ball's not good enough for me. This sucker stops very well on the approach shots, doesn't spin up and balloon. Feels soft. Dean really knows his shite, IMO. If, like me, you like to stop cork sniffing and play a non-urethane ball once in a while get a dozen of these gems - at this price it's a no-brainer. 

Edited by BeerPerHole
  • Like 2
On 1/26/2021 at 11:49 AM, BeerPerHole said:

I must repeat. The Get Sum is probably the most overlooked ball I've seen. How's that for an oxymoron? In this cold wintertime play I occasionally pull a sleeve of them and toss in my bag on the way out to the course and, man, these balls really perform well. I normally play the MTB-Black. For me, the Get Sum is a touch shorter off the driver. But, the MTB line is a long ball. Other than that, it keeps right up. I'm an 11 now and getting better - occasionally showing single-digit play when out practicing lately. It certainly doesn't seem like the ball's not good enough for me. This sucker stops very well on the approach shots, doesn't spin up and balloon. Feels soft. Dean really knows his shite, IMO. If, like me, you like to stop cork sniffing and play a non-urethane ball once in a while get a dozen of these gems - at this price it's a no-brainer. 

I’ll agree with this. While I haven’t played the Get Sum in a couple years, when my Srixon QSTAR Tour stash dwindles, I’ll likely go there again. Great ball in any weather.

On 1/2/2021 at 5:03 PM, scottaz said:

Played in a pretty steady 20+mph wind today. The X is as good in the wind as I’ve played. 

I agree 100 %

Played in a strong wind this week and the ball really cut threw the wind.

Edited by bopper53

Ping G 425, 10.5, Tensi Blue
Sub 70, 4 Wood  Even Flow Riptide
Ping G410, 7 wood, Tensi Orange 
Ping G425 Hybrid 22
Ping G425, 6-GW, KBS Tour 105
Odyssey OG #7S
Vokey SM8  Wedges, 56 / 58 DG s400 Wedge shafts

The yellow MTBs are still out of stock, been like this since early December... hope Dean gets them restocked soon. Please.

Cobra Pars & Stripes Speedzone, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-S Velocore, Top Golf All-Fit adapters
Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft

Taylormade M4 HL 16.5* 3 wood with UST Elements Chrome 7F4
Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid

Cobra Speedzone irons 4 - PW Recoil ESX F4 shafts
Cleveland CBX2 48* wedge & Cleveland FullFace 56* wedge with Catalyst 100 shafts
Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with BGT Stability shaft
#1 Snell MTB-X / Black, #2 Srixon XV 5/6

Graves One Plane swing

5 hours ago, mycale said:

I really appreciate this video, I prefer yellow balls now, and good to hear the reasoning behind the shortage. 

I'm gonna test the MTB-X vs my current Vice Pros this spring. Interested in the potential for a bit more iron spin and the increased driver distance. Only concern is dispersion, which on the 2019 MGS ball test Vice was significantly better

Thought I would add my two cents to the thread.  I've played the last 4 rounds with the Snell MTB-X and couldn't be more satisfied.  Others have commented on how it performed in the wind and I have to admit it is impressive.  I had a drive with a cross wind of about 25 miles per hour, with a lake on the left.  I aimed over the right side of the lake, expecting the wind to bring the ball back to the fairway...nope, it flew straight and landed wet, my mistake.  The ball really does handle to wind well.  I can't really comment on the distance or spin factor since it is winter here in Colorado and tough to assess with the frozen ground.  The ball does sound a feel great off the driver and the irons.   I will say I have played the last 3 1/2 rounds with the same ball and it has held up extremely well.  Snell has definitely found a convert.

I took advantage of the great deal around Christmas and stocked up buying 5 dozen of the MTB Black. I've only put the ball in play here and there as I work through my remaining 202 Chrome Softs but it seems shorter off the driver than the Chrome Soft I usually play. I don't seem to notice a distance loss with other clubs. Granted, we typically have been playing with temps starting in the 30's getting into the mid 40s by the end of the round. Could it be that the MTB Black is just not as good for me in colder weather than a softer Chrome Soft or did I make a mistake and deciding to switch going into this year?

I swapped my 5 dozen X for the Black and it seems for me that the X is longer off the driver and maybe even a tad more straight.  But the feel of the Black is nice and seems more controllable around the greens for sure.  I really can't see buying any other ball for the price and quality of the Snells, both are so good.  

I found a "Get Sum" while playing and while I haven't played it yet, just putting it around it feels really soft.  I am sure it's great for lower swing speed players or cold weather golf.

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10.5* PX HZRDUS Smoke yellow 6.0 60g

Ping G425 Max 14.5* Alta CB 65x

Ping G425 19* Aldila Rogue black 95ts

Bridgestone J15 CB 4-P PX LZ 6.5

Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 52, 56, 60 AWT 

Ping Anser Milled 2

On 2/7/2021 at 6:42 AM, phil75070 said:

Could it be that the MTB Black is just not as good for me in colder weather than a softer Chrome Soft or did I make a mistake and deciding to switch going into this year?

The various ball test data would suggest you should hit the MTB Black slightly further than your Chrome Soft, so your results would not necessarily be typical.  However, your swing with your driver, may certainly carry a chrome soft further than an MTB. FWIW MTB Black carries as far as anything I've hit, but ymmv.  If you can, hit two balls off some tee boxes and see how they compare distance and ball flight wise, would be interested to hear your results.

Callaway Fusion 9* - Tensei Blue 65S / Callaway GBB 3 Wood - Kuro Kage TiNi S / Callaway Rogue X 18 - Synergy 60 S / Callaway Rogue 4, 6-PW - TT XP95 S / Callaway MD2 47,52,56 - DG S300 / Odyssey Rossie Metal X Milled / Snell MTB Black

14 hours ago, c50sooner said:

The various ball test data would suggest you should hit the MTB Black slightly further than your Chrome Soft, so your results would not necessarily be typical. 

I totally agree. However, ball tests are not typically done across a variety of temperatures. Most anecdotal evidence suggests that softer balls are better in cold temperatures.