2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

18 hours ago, cardigan said:

The Yellow MTB Black and yellow MTB X balls are both made the same as the white.  The only difference is that we have to pigment the cover yellow, and also paint the covers with yellow paint versus white paint.  So in the production, the lines need to be completely shut down, cleaned up and replaced with yellow pigment, as well as all the paint lines need to have the same thing done as well.   This takes a lot of time and effort in the factory.  This is why as soon as we are able to get anything made, we take what we can get with the white covers and paint.  This issue will be solved eventually when production levels get back to normal, and we are able to order both models in both white and yellow.  I understand there is a demand for yellow, and we are not going to cancel them.  This is just something that we do not have any control over at this time..    When some other companies use injection molding processes, this is much easier to make as the yellow color pigments is just added to the plastic in the machine.   And then painted with clear coats of paint.  So much easier to do and no machine time shutdown is needed.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2022 at 12:44 PM, Stanks said:

I called them a while ago and it doesn't seem like accumulation lift will happen until the new year. I've tried all of Deans offerings minus the Get Sum models. I tried the original black, the V2 that was released with the Red, and the most current version that was released with the X. I really enjoyed all of them. It's a real crime that some of the companies are getting the materials for their product but lack the durability or centeredness of the cores (Kirkland...Titleist Prov1X). 

FYI, there has only been one version of the MTB Black.

MTB - 2015

MTB Black - 2018

MTB Red - 2018

MTB X - 2019

4 hours ago, storm319 said:

FYI, there has only been one version of the MTB Black.

MTB - 2015

MTB Black - 2018

MTB Red - 2018

MTB X - 2019

Totally stand corrected. Thought I recalled Dean making a small update from the Black released at the time of Red and a minor change but, I was mistaken. They just added Yellow which was huge news for a lot people. 

On 10/24/2022 at 11:37 AM, Snell Golf said:

Hello everyone.. I know its been a while, and trust me I have been working several different angles to get things moving.  As you may or may not know, Covid created some major issues for the supply chain of golf balls.   The mantle material (Dow/dupont/exxon) is an ionomer blend.  They were having some major issues getting some of the raw materials to make the ionomers from their suppliers.   Thus, they were not able to make any material for almost all of 2021 and just started some of the blends back up late in 2022.   The big companies carried a surplus in their factories, and with the demand for golf and golf balls increasing, this created the perfect storm.   Big demand, and a material shortage.   Once they get this solved, of course the big guys will come first and get the orders first, thus pushing us smaller companies back.   I was working on new protos and we were ready to launch these in 2022... but this all got shut down due the shortage and production limitations.   I have continued to work in new golf balls and am finally getting some sent in to us for testing.   I understand the frustration of the value packs not being offered, and trust me, those are our number one seller.   But I tried to hold on to the limited inventory as long as we can and allow our customers to be able to buy some for most of this year.   My plan is to offer these value packs for all products in the future.   I hope to have some good news on deliveries in the next month or so.   I will try to check in here and keep everyone updated.   We are working hard to get things done, and it has been a challenge for sure.  But we are not going away, and will be back to full offerings (maybe even a few new ones) as soon as we can.  Thanks for all your comments and patience... much appreciated.   

Thanks for the update Dean and keep up the good work. I've been playing the MTB and MTBX since the beginning and have always enjoyed the quality and consistency of the products.  They compare with any premium ball available and frankly are better than a few of them.  Can't wait for the new offerings.  Also like the Get Sum balls in yellow for fall golf - they're a little softer and very visible against all the leaves in New England. Plus getting deliveries in a few days doesn't hurt either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, booshi said:

And now, MTB Blacks are just out of stock. Probably just going to finish my last dozen and find a new ball.

Try the Vice pro, very comparable

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

On 11/17/2022 at 10:57 AM, booshi said:

And now, MTB Blacks are just out of stock. Probably just going to finish my last dozen and find a new ball.

13 hours ago, gioreeko said:

Try the Vice pro, very comparable

The MaxFli Tour are also a comparable ball.  

If the prices of the Maxfli continue to increase, I'll go with the Vice Pro.

Played yesterday with mtb x

Still a great ball after 3 years. 

In every new iteration of ProV1z I find myself thinking very hard to find the difference from previous ver. It feels similar and that says Prov1 is already a great ball.

On some ocasion, I don't ikke the feel of the new gen prov1. But I can't keep a big stack because I don't like it when old supplys cover dries out.

I rather have a new supply of mtb x over 'new' generation of any other balls now.

Edited by larciel
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 4:53 PM, booshi said:

I can't put my finger on why, but something about the whole vibe of Vice just isn't for me.

I saw Srixon Z Stars were $40 on Amazon, so I grabbed a dozen to try.

odd, they're great balls. the Pro plus is pretty much the same as the MTB X to me, and the orange/yellow fade is awesome looking, as is the lime green to my aging eyes that I'm out driving. 

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

On 11/17/2022 at 3:57 PM, booshi said:

Same for me. I normally buy 2 years worth at a time once I settle on a ball and I’m almost out. 

Shame as I’d happily continue playing this but won’t be returning now for a few years. Hopefully there’s a more stable stock position by then. 

I will be back to the Snell Black when supply is back on track

Right now it is the Wilson Triad

Closest to the Snell Black I could find at a somewhat reasonable price

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

Just received a couple of dozen of the new Get Sum ball, in optic yellow, and looking forward to playing this weekend.  I switch from the MTB/ MTB X to the Get Sum ball in the fall/ winter while playing in New England as they're softer and easier to see over the white balls. Great ball overall too, but I prefer the MTB and urethane cover in the summer months.  One comment though - the text isn't as nice looking and the yellow color isn't as 'optic' as the older model ball - hope it doesn't matter though.

On 11/25/2022 at 12:22 PM, jimb6golf said:

Just received a couple of dozen of the new Get Sum ball, in optic yellow, and looking forward to playing this weekend.  I switch from the MTB/ MTB X to the Get Sum ball in the fall/ winter while playing in New England as they're softer and easier to see over the white balls. Great ball overall too, but I prefer the MTB and urethane cover in the summer months.  One comment though - the text isn't as nice looking and the yellow color isn't as 'optic' as the older model ball - hope it doesn't matter though.

Can you get us a review of the new GetSum?  I'm interested in how they feel and play.

MTB X guy here.  I just went to buy some and after shipping costs it's over $40 for a dozen.  I tried the Vice and Maxfli-Tour and neither were for me.  For whatever reason, both were a lot shorter off my clubs.

Hopefully they get back on track asap.  I'll be waiting. 

*edit-  How's the green side spin with the Get Sum ball?  Maybe I'll buy the 5 pack for winter play?  

Edited by St Jimmy

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

31 minutes ago, St Jimmy said:

MTB X guy here.  I just went to buy some and after shipping costs it's over $40 for a dozen.  I tried the Vice and Maxfli-Tour and neither were for me.  For whatever reason, both were a lot shorter off my clubs.

Hopefully they get back on track asap.  I'll be waiting. 

*edit-  How's the green side spin with the Get Sum ball?  Maybe I'll buy the 5 pack for winter play?  

I just watched a few reviews and it looks like they were getting similar distance and spin for the Get Sum as the Black.

Why not?  I just bought 10 dozen, lol. 

Maybe the softer feel will help in the Illinois winters. 

Edited by St Jimmy

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Dean sent out an email indicating they are working on new premium balls and hope to launch those in the spring.  He confirmed the MTB Black out of stock, and the implication I took from his email was that they were gone until Spring?  I am looking for alternatives, playing the new Mizuno ball currently, and will certainly come back to Snell when they have that ball--or the new version--when they are avaialble.

I read Dean’s email and really appreciate the transparency that he is providing to us as customers. 

My takeaway (which could be wrong) is that they are shifting their limited production capacity to updated ball models that are launching in the “2023 spring season”. I’m assuming this will

be around March 2023. While I’m sure this is a tough decision for Dean and his team, I am excited about the potential improvements with the new line and will be ready to buy 5 boxes as soon as they are available. I also noted that Dean mentioned their continued goal to “make high performance golf balls at a lower price”, which gives me confidence that they intend to stay competitive in pricing compared to the big brands. 

Fortunately for me, I have accumulated enough balls to get me through the winter (I think). Either way, I think it’s in our long-term interest as customers to get the best balls that Snell can offer, even if it means finding another option for a few months. 

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* |  Ventus Blue Velo 6S

TaylorMade Stealth+ 3W   | Ventus Blue Velo 7S

Titleist TSR3 5W | Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist TSR2 4H  |  Graphite Design AD-DI 85S

Titleist T150 5 - GW | Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105X

TaylorMade MG3 54*  58* | Dynamic Gold S400

TaylorMade Spider GT Notchback

Titleist Pro V1 | Srixon Z-Star Diamond

I have been a Snell Black player for the past 2 years

I am down to my last sleeve of balls of Blacks

I have been playing the Triad from Wilson along with the Snell Black.

In my experience, I find it to be close to the Snell Black distance wise but it does have a little more spin into the greens

I also ordered some Vice balls on the Black Friday sale and will be trying those out on the near future

I have a dozen of the Vice Pro and The Vice Zero on the way.

If you need a Snell Black replacement, I would recommend the Wilson Triad

That is if you don't want to spend the money on ProV1 because the Snell Black is a ProV1 clone IMO

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

I don't really get how people talk about Dean's "transparency", while he takes weeks to actually make a statement about something like a product out of stock, and I now have 3 different emails I have sent throughout the year to Snell's CS that have just been completely ignored. Not to mention it seems arbitrary who got the email - I didn't after 2 years of ordering there.

I played Snell for many years up until last 2 years. With companies and DTC introducing new balls left and right I have been playing other balls the last few seasons while awaiting an update. I look forward to some new products but fear they will be difficult for many to obtain as many will be jumping on these next year.  I am hoping the release go on time and are available even if in limited quantities. 

Maybe it's me but i've come to trust the Snell product and I don't mind waiting for the new line and supply to return to what we have come to expect in terms of availability.

I still have a supply of the Blacks that I have been using with other balls and still expect to remain a Snell ball player.  They have been a really good ball for me and I expect them to continue to do so.

Patience is key but I expect living in Chicago I have to be.

• Like 2

Driver: PXG Black Ops Tour-1 10.5deg - Tour AD TP 6S

Fairway Wood: PXG Black Ops 0311 15deg - Tour AD VR 7S
Hybrid: PXG Black Ops 0311 19deg - Tour AD DI Hyb 85S
Irons: PXG Gen6 0311P 4-GW - DG Mid 115
Wedges: Mizuno T24 54 & 58 S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Never Compromise Dinero Prototype 

Ball: Srixon ZStar Diamond (Other testing in progress)

On 11/25/2022 at 9:22 AM, jimb6golf said:

On 11/8/2022 at 6:04 PM, Imp said:

Just saw an ad that Snell has new versions of the Get Sum balls. Went to the site, both white and yellow in stock, and available in (5) bulk (like ya'll been askin for). Go GET SUM!  🙂

Any feedback on the new Get Sum ball?  Specifically how it compares to the MTB or Callaway Super Soft or anything you guys have experience with? 

I'm thinking that less than $20 a dozen in bulk isn't a bad price for a good winter ball that might end up plugged in the fairway or under leaves.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter