2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

I just placed another order with them as well. Think this may be my third 6 pack of MTBs.

Anyway, I did notice the smart post option on my shipping(and chose that). However, they haven't always used SmartPost have they. Seems like I got my last order pretty quickly, but I know smart post is pretty slow. I don't need these quick or anything. Still have six sleeves, but just seemed odd to me.

I just placed another order with them as well. Think this may be my third 6 pack of MTBs.

Anyway, I did notice the smart post option on my shipping(and chose that). However, they haven't always used SmartPost have they. Seems like I got my last order pretty quickly, but I know smart post is pretty slow. I don't need these quick or anything. Still have six sleeves, but just seemed odd to me.

SmartPost is sloooooow. At least to the West Coast it is. Hopefully you have some stock to hold you over before your Christmas present arrives.

I tried the MTB and was not a fan. i will have to give them another try. i felt the flight was too high, and i felt it didnt do well in the wind. I also was not happy with the durability.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. . . . . . I find that it flies lower, does better in the wind and is just as durable - maybe a bit more.

So, I have been lurking in the Balls sub-forum (and other areas on WRX), especially the threads on Snell and Kirkland, for quite some time and finally decided to make this my first post. I'm one who likes to play yellow balls because I can see them better and just like the look. Plus, it's easier to distinguish my ball from the others, as a large majority of golfers still play white. Regardless, I have purchased a six-pack of Snells and a box (2 dozen) of the Kirkland and like them both and am about to run out. I have decided that I want to go back to yellow and am writing to further implore Mr. Snell to make a yellow MTB. I have read Mr. Snell's posts which detail the production issues with doing a cast urethane covered colored ball and still believe that it would be worthwhile for him to consider giving it a try, as I believe a lot of golfers would buy them (hopefully, enough to warrant the production costs). I will also state that I have looked into buying the Vice lime green balls, but it concerns me that, even though they're cast urethane, they're pretty much off-the-shelf balls manufactured by Foremost. I guess I trust that Mr. Snell isn't doing that too. Until I can purchase a yellow (or green) MTB, I'm likely going to go with the yellow Srixon Z Star. I pay more money for them and they're not cast urethane, but they're good enough for me. Just FYI, I'm 62 y/o and presently have a 7.4 index.

So, I have been lurking in the Balls sub-forum (and other areas on WRX), especially the threads on Snell and Kirkland, for quite some time and finally decided to make this my first post. I'm one who likes to play yellow balls because I can see them better and just like the look. Plus, it's easier to distinguish my ball from the others, as a large majority of golfers still play white. Regardless, I have purchased a six-pack of Snells and a box (2 dozen) of the Kirkland and like them both and am about to run out. I have decided that I want to go back to yellow and am writing to further implore Mr. Snell to make a yellow MTB. I have read Mr. Snell's posts which detail the production issues with doing a cast urethane covered colored ball and still believe that it would be worthwhile for him to consider giving it a try, as I believe a lot of golfers would buy them (hopefully, enough to warrant the production costs). I will also state that I have looked into buying the Vice lime green balls, but it concerns me that, even though they're cast urethane, they're pretty much off-the-shelf balls manufactured by Foremost. I guess I trust that Mr. Snell isn't doing that too. Until I can purchase a yellow (or green) MTB, I'm likely going to go with the yellow Srixon Z Star. I pay more money for them and they're not cast urethane, but they're good enough for me. Just FYI, I'm 62 y/o and presently have a 7.4 index.

If you haven't already, try the Volvik Vivid. Nice, soft feel, good distance, checks nicely.

You've been lurking for 12 years?

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Apparently a HOF lurker!

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Another one that cracked me up. lololol. Thank you.

If you haven't already, try the Volvik Vivid. Nice, soft feel, good distance, checks nicely.

The vivid is the best looking ball out there. The white is the coolest color ever, but it is a completely different type of ball.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I got to play with my MTB's for the first time last night on my league. Admittedly it wasn't a great test. The back nine is the shorter of the 2 with only 4 driver holes. And on the trouble tee shots I used a different ball on that hole so I didn't lose a snell. But when I did use it, it seemed very solid and seemed alot like the prov1 that was the other ball I used last night. But I left the course last night looking forward to playing this weekend. Great ball so far.

I was in our local Big 5 sporting goods store today and saw MTB on the shelf. Had to do a double take. They were next to the Taylormade Distance +

What is Big 5 sporting goods? Is it like a Dicks Sporting Goods?

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Finally got to do some side by side testing tonight of the MTB vs the Vice Pro Soft and Plus. It was just on a practice green with my 2 year old daughter, but I put my first pitch/chip in the hole from about 20 yards with the MTB. Off to a good start!

From there, I would say the MTB spins just a hair better on these type of shots for me. For my game, though, I could easily get accustomed to either one. Hoping to do a full on course shot to shot showdown this weekend.

It's awesome that Dean is still signing the invoices. That alone really makes me want to give the MTB a serious look.

I was in our local Big 5 sporting goods store today and saw MTB on the shelf. Had to do a double take. They were next to the Taylormade Distance +

What is Big 5 sporting goods? Is it like a Dicks Sporting Goods?

It's a sporting goods chain that we've had out here in Cali for many decades. I was in there to buy my boy a new basketball. Great place for that. Each of their stores are fairly small and they deal in all kinds of stuff - ping pong, camping, guns, shoes... For whatever reason there are a few of them in our area but I think they are dying on the vine elsewhere...

I listen to the guys at ESPN1000 in Chicago a lot during the day and Carmen and Jurko were plugging the Snell balls for the second time now. Jurko a 10 yr NFL vet said he plays them during league play and recommended them to Carmen who now ordered some for himself. Nice free plug lol.

G400 LST
917F2
913H
'16 JPX EZ Forged
T7 54/58
Bettinardi Tour SS3 DASS BEE KOOL
Snell MTB Black

Nese mund te lexoni kete, me dergoni nje mezazh.

Found a Snell mtb today on the course during a scramble. Definitely a quality ball and if it came in yellow I would probably play it full time.

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

Just a quick note for the European GolfWRX members, the Snell balls are now available in Europe. (snellgolf.co.uk)

I have just received a dozen MTB's so I am looking forward to putting them to the test against my two current gamers Titleist 2015 Pro V1, Callaway Chrome Soft.

The UK price £26.67 (6 dozen for £160) is not that significant a bargain vs the Chrome soft at ~£30 (2 dozen for £54) and I can still get 2 dozen 2015 pro v1's for £60.

I will post my thoughts on the ball after some on course testing this week.

I just completed a 18 hole test of the MTB and I am disappointed to report that I didn't like any aspect of the ball's performance. I will preface my thoughts by saying I am a (exceptionally) low swing speed player by GolfWRX standards, as a consequence of this I rely heavily on the feel and short game performance of a ball to help with my scoring.

I played and very much liked the Taylormade TP Red LDP, which I believe was one of Dean Snell's designs. The majority of Tour category golf balls have become much softer feeling since the days of the TP Red. IMO the MTB falls very much into the harder, brighter, clickier feeling tour balls. I would assess the feel to be 75% 2013 Pro V 1 X, 25% 2013 Pro V 1.

Performance characteristics are very much 2013 Pro V1 X, higher launch of the driver, with perhaps a touch more spin than my current 2015 Pro V1, distance is comparable. Iron launch is a touch lower and mid iron spin is down as well, carry distance is down a couple of yards. Pitching, chipping and putting performance was dominated by the firm crisp feel, wedge spin was down on my current ball.

I know my thoughts fly in the face of the majority of the comments in this thread and the headline reviews. I was hoping to find a new long term ball, unfortunately the Snell MTB is not the ball for me, perhaps I don't have the ballspeed to compress the MTB, which is exaggerating the hard feel I experienced. I personally think it is more a Pro V1 X competitor, unsurprisingly I have never been a Pro V1 X lover.

Hope my comments help some of our UK members considering trying this newly available ball.

Hi... I have gotten a lot of email and messages asking about the new protos... so quick update... The proto work is just abut complete. I wasnt happy with a couple of results, so made another minor change to the design. .. last series of performance testing going on this month, and packaging design also almost completed....appreciate you patience..

Hi... I have gotten a lot of email and messages asking about the new protos... so quick update... The proto work is just abut complete. I wasnt happy with a couple of results, so made another minor change to the design. .. last series of performance testing going on this month, and packaging design also almost completed....appreciate you patience..

Thanks any more info you can provide? what is the performance characteristics of this ball? similar to the MTB?

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X