2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Eye dominance

beary

Funny thing I've been playing with. I'm a sort of mix of right and left handedness (swing club right handed, write left handed etc etc). When I swing using my left eye to watch the ball I am more consistent, stay down through the ball much better, whereas if I use right eye to fix the opposite. Is this because of eye dominance, or is it simply that left eye helps stay behind the ball better? I know its sort of weird, but is there any logic??

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's part of a putter fitting. Besides that I've never heard about it for a normal swing but I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

I have wondered the same thing. I am right handed and throw, write, swing, eat.. pretty much everything right handed and I am also right eye dominant and have an issue with my left eye where my vision is much worse compared to my right. I have done the same thing, close my left eye and found that i made better contact. I have even borrowed a left handed iron and found after a little practice I can make very good center face contact, no real power though. Now I am not planning on making a switch to lefty but I do wonder if it has to do with eye dominance and not losing sight of the ball or switching eyes in the backswing. So many variables in the golf swing and I just added another...damn... :swoon:

Eye dominance has little impact on the swing and you can train yourself to aim better despite your eye dominance and natural tendencies.

It has little impact on the swing because of your peripheral and fovial vision. Also, we don't 'take our eye off the ball' or 'look up' at impact. The eyes have a built in reflex called vestibular ocular reflex which means that if you're looking at an object and your head moves one way, there is a reflex in the eyes that will move them automatically the other way so you can still see what you're looking at. You would be amazed if you video tape swings of all sorts of golfers that claim they 'looked up' and when you freeze the video as they are at impact they are looking right at the ball.

Where eye dominance in the swing plays a factors is if you're right eye dominant and right handed, you're probably not going to be able to make as big of a move off the ball and turn as much as say John Daly. Conversely, if you're cross dominant (left eye and right handed), you're probably not going to have that impact position that Duval, Sorenstam and Allenby have where they appear to be 'looking up' at impact. But, those are extreme examples.

With putting, if you're cross dominant, you're more likely to use the front part of the putter to aim and that will cause you to aim right of the target. Right eye dominant and you're likely to use more of the back end of the putter to aim and that may cause you to aim left. But you can be trained to become better at aiming.

RH

[quote name='RichieHunt' timestamp='1423923719' post='10951549']
Eye dominance has little impact on the swing and you can train yourself to aim better despite your eye dominance and natural tendencies.

It has little impact on the swing because of your peripheral and fovial vision. Also, we don't 'take our eye off the ball' or 'look up' at impact. The eyes have a built in reflex called vestibular ocular reflex which means that if you're looking at an object and your head moves one way, there is a reflex in the eyes that will move them automatically the other way so you can still see what you're looking at. You would be amazed if you video tape swings of all sorts of golfers that claim they 'looked up' and when you freeze the video as they are at impact they are looking right at the ball.

Where eye dominance in the swing plays a factors is if you're right eye dominant and right handed, you're probably not going to be able to make as big of a move off the ball and turn as much as say John Daly. Conversely, if you're cross dominant (left eye and right handed), you're probably not going to have that impact position that Duval, Sorenstam and Allenby have where they appear to be 'looking up' at impact. But, those are extreme examples.

With putting, if you're cross dominant, you're more likely to use the front part of the putter to aim and that will cause you to aim right of the target. Right eye dominant and you're likely to use more of the back end of the putter to aim and that may cause you to aim left. But you can be trained to become better at aiming.

Well there goes that excuse... solid info, thanks.

RH
[/quote]

I'm right/right. Mainly because I have an astigmatism in my left eye and even corrected, it's only 20/60 or so. And I do tend to aim my putterface a tad right. I have a feeling that getting fit for the right putter head style & alignment aids would make a huge difference. Putter with a straight back edge and alignment aids more on the flange, like Ritchie said.

On full swings, there is difficulty as well. Perhaps not due to dominance so much, but perhaps the weakness of my left eye. On good shots, the VOR kicks in right at impact and I lose sight of the ball. But on the shots that are awful, that happens just after transition. I have no idea why.

Figuring that one issue out would drop me from a 3 to a 0 almost immediately. Those shots are that prevalent in my game.

AI Smoke TD 8° w/shaft TBD

Big Bertha 815 Alpha 14° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 
'24 Apex CB 5-7; '24 Apex MB 8-11 w/DG

MD2 55° + PM 1.0 58° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Cross dominant here, as well. Lefty with right eye dominance.

The cross dominance causes me to do a lot of things right handed - shoot a rifle or bow, play guitar, play pool, etc. I was never able to switch hit in baseball, but I could kick equally well with both feet in soccer. I can't hit a golf ball right handed to save my life, but I can putt right handed fairly well. I can also write legibly with my right hand.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

it may have already been mentioned, but is not the head turn of Jack Nicklaus owing to his wanting to use his left eye? I have a different problem in that if my eyes are not on a level plane, I see double images. I think it is called an upper right hyper or something. Whenever I tilt my head to the right, the images separate. I can intentionally separate or close them at will.

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

I agree with eight. I believe that Eye dominance has a huge effect on the backswing. I am right eye dominant and right handed. It is very difficult to make a complete backswing being strongly right side dominant because Right Eye glued to the ball really limits the ability for the right side to make a full turn away from the ball.

It's unconscious or subconscious, but has a huge effect on swing and backswing when I began to notice it.

Seems like most people Who never noticed it are cross eye dominant.

[quote name='Module Mahoney' timestamp='1423949327' post='10953655']
So if we are extreme right eye and right hand dominant we should quit the game?
[/quote]

I would love to hear Martin Chuck chime in on this. I think he has some interesting insights into teaching people while taking eye dominance into account.

And yes, I think those of us who are R/R or L/L are at a disadvantage.

AI Smoke TD 8° w/shaft TBD

Big Bertha 815 Alpha 14° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 
'24 Apex CB 5-7; '24 Apex MB 8-11 w/DG

MD2 55° + PM 1.0 58° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

I think my eye dominance affects my alignment on longer shots. If I tee a golf ball up between two alignment rods, it doesn't "LOOK" like I'm on target if I line up square to the ball and the rods. I've found that I'm accurate if my left shoulder feels like it's at or to the right of my target. If I line up and feel like I'm "open" to the target, I usually do miss wide left.

Of course - this is based on me.. YMMV.

Thanks guys for some really great discussion. I found

http://www.golfwrx.com/132361/how-eye-dominance-effects-your-golf-technique/

on WRX, and this explains a lot, fits in with the comments above. I agree especially that this becomes an issue when people have mixed dominance, like me.

I tried the tests in the article, and what's weird is that I have a mix.- so if I fix on the ball and close one eye, there is no clear result to which eye I use, ie both are dominant. So, what I think is that for me I have to force one eye to be dominant, and then I can make the appropriate positions for that dominance - in my case left eye dominant is best.

Does this make sense?

[quote name='fjk' timestamp='1423948598' post='10953573']
I agree with eight. I believe that Eye dominance has a huge effect on the backswing. I am right eye dominant and right handed. It is very difficult to make a complete backswing being strongly right side dominant because Right Eye glued to the ball really limits the ability for the right side to make a full turn away from the ball.

It's unconscious or subconscious, but has a huge effect on swing and backswing when I began to notice it.

[/quote]

Eight who? Don't see a post from "eight"? I would agree with your thoughts...

[quote name='oikos1' timestamp='1424005527' post='10956517']
[quote name='fjk' timestamp='1423948598' post='10953573']

[/quote]

Eight who? Don't see a post from "eight"? I would agree with your thoughts...
[/quote]

More sensorship from the Gestapo. But now they delete legit comments

[quote name='Michael C.' timestamp='1423925235' post='10951657']
Richie - if I'm cross dominant, what is the training to aim better? Do I consciously focus on
the back of the putter to aim or would that throw tings way off? My misses on short putts are
usually pushes.
[/quote]

Has to do with a lot of things such as neck tilts, how far you stand away from the ball, how you use your own head to aim your putter. Geoff Mangum has a lot of good stuff on it. One of the things I like to do is get a metal 48" yard stick and place the putter against the end of it and then figure out how to get that to look like my aim is square.

For me, I'm cross dominant. So when I put the putter on the yard stick it looks like the putter is aiming way left (because I have a right aim bias). I'll then adjust my body and my own head positioning until it starts to look correct.

RH

[quote name='Module Mahoney' timestamp='1423949327' post='10953655']
So if we are extreme right eye and right hand dominant we should quit the game?
[/quote]

That describes me. I'm not quitting.

Maybe just sheds some light for some that are struggling on things to work on.
I.e. Making a more concerted effort to turn away during practice swings.

See if Theres a difference in shoulder turn with head turned off the ball vs looking at if during practice. For me it's a lot harder to make that full turn off the ball during a normal swing (where you're pretty focused on the ball and shot) so it's something I work on.

Yeesh.

play RH and right eye dominant (while being extremely strong left handed in all daily activities and other sports)

have always struggled with alignment on full swings - understanding right eye dominance was a factor

never knew that right eye dominance contributed to restricted right hip turn - wish I knew that 25yrs ago

better yet - wish I had watched monte's deep right hip video 25yrs ago

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

[quote name='RichieHunt' timestamp='1424013085' post='10956921']
[quote name='Michael C.' timestamp='1423925235' post='10951657']
Richie - if I'm cross dominant, what is the training to aim better? Do I consciously focus on
the back of the putter to aim or would that throw tings way off? My misses on short putts are
usually pushes.
[/quote]

Has to do with a lot of things such as neck tilts, how far you stand away from the ball, how you use your own head to aim your putter. Geoff Mangum has a lot of good stuff on it. One of the things I like to do is get a metal 48" yard stick and place the putter against the end of it and then figure out how to get that to look like my aim is square.

For me, I'm cross dominant. So when I put the putter on the yard stick it looks like the putter is aiming way left (because I have a right aim bias). I'll then adjust my body and my own head positioning until it starts to look correct.

RH
[/quote]

Good info, sir. Thank you for the reply