Bridgestone J15 CB & DF VS. Srixon 745

FairwaysToHeaven

I'm looking for any comparisons or thoughts between these three sets of irons. I've read pretty much everything i can on these sets but haven't seen any direct comparisons.

The Srixon 745 have been getting great reviews, but the only thing that might hold me back and push me to j15 is that I’m really sold on the Nippon Modus 120 shafts.

Anyone playing the 745, which set would best compare in the Bridgestone lineup. Would the df’s be more forgiving? I’m guessing the 745 would have a better feel over the df.

As far as the grinds, I take a decent sized divot so like to avoid irons that dig too much. Srixon grind looks great, but the j15 DF and cb not all that bad either.

Price going to play a factor too. Srixon may cost too much compared to J15 in the end especially if I would plan to pull DG’s and buy modus shafts to install in 745 where Bridgestone offer at a free upgrade.

So any comparisons, opinions on which will be the better set long term, and I’m a ho, so irons holding their value matters too. I was confident that I was going DF, but I’m already second guessing myself with the 745 reviews along with Bridgestone delays in orders and the average reviews for DF’s so far.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my 745 from japan with nippon modus 120x it was stock option in japan no upcharge also got the gap wedge, they are great irons and i expect the bridestones to be also. Probably gonna come down to personal preference there are so many good irons out right now, just ask wobgon im lovin my 745

I got the 715 DF's with Modus 120x's through Fairway Golf at no up charge. Haven't arrived yet so I can't compare the two.

AI Smoke Max Ventus Velocore +
Callaway GBB Fuji 757 vi 

Cobra LTDX max 5w HZRDUS Blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58v PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

[quote name='HoosierMizuno' timestamp='1424097178' post='10962749']I'm looking for any comparisons or thoughts between these three sets of irons. I've read pretty much everything i can on these sets but haven't seen any direct comparisons.

The Srixon 745 have been getting great reviews, but the only thing that might hold me back and push me to j15 is that I’m really sold on the Nippon Modus 120 shafts.

Anyone playing the 745, which set would best compare in the Bridgestone lineup. Would the df’s be more forgiving? I’m guessing the 745 would have a better feel over the df.

As far as the grinds, I take a decent sized divot so like to avoid irons that dig too much. Srixon grind looks great, but the j15 DF and cb not all that bad either.

Price going to play a factor too. Srixon may cost too much compared to J15 in the end especially if I would plan to pull DG’s and buy modus shafts to install in 745 where Bridgestone offer at a free upgrade.

So any comparisons, opinions on which will be the better set long term, and I’m a ho, so irons holding their value matters too. I was confident that I was going DF, but I’m already second guessing myself with the 745 reviews along with Bridgestone delays in orders and the average reviews for DF’s so far.[/quote]
Currently have the 745's but have the j15 cb's on the way. I'll do some comparison pics when I get them.

I had the 745 and the DF. Sold them both. Why? I found them not as forgiving as my J40 PC. The feel on the 745s is great, I was a little concerned with the sole, was not quite sure how it would react under different turf conditions. plus for me I did not find them as easy to hit as my J40 PC so they were sold. The DF did not feel as good as the the 745, but not bad, once again Not as forgiving as my j40s. For me as a bridgestone nut I see no reason to release the DFs. Just play the J15 CBs. probably feel better due to the forging, and I really dont see how they could be less forgiving than the DF considering they are almost the exactly the same size. Maybe they launch higher. Considering they come with the same shaft (CB and DF) seems like a no brainer to just hit the CB. However they are all good clubs. The most interesting club is the 745 and probably my choice would be the 545s except the lofts are jacked up and would have left me with weird gap in my bag in the wedge dept. Plus I dont really care if I hit a 8 iron 145 or 155. If the 545 came in a more traditional loft set up I would be itching to try them. I have been buying too much stuff sight unseen this winter and none of it has turned out good so I am done with hoing!!! Plus I just bought some J38 PC for cheap for my back up set!!LOL.

F9 driver
king LTD 3 wood
F6 hybrid. vts silver
Z565. recoil 95
Pur wedges
Piretti Matera

[quote name='vwgolfer' timestamp='1424105267' post='10963739']
I had the 745 and the DF. Sold them both. Why? I found them not as forgiving as my J40 PC. The feel on the 745s is great, I was a little concerned with the sole, was not quite sure how it would react under different turf conditions. plus for me I did not find them as easy to hit as my J40 PC so they were sold. The DF did not feel as good as the the 745, but not bad, once again Not as forgiving as my j40s. For me as a bridgestone nut I see no reason to release the DFs. Just play the J15 CBs. probably feel better due to the forging, and I really dont see how they could be less forgiving than the DF considering they are almost the exactly the same size. Maybe they launch higher. Considering they come with the same shaft (CB and DF) seems like a no brainer to just hit the CB. However they are all good clubs. The most interesting club is the 745 and probably my choice would be the 545s except the lofts are jacked up and would have left me with weird gap in my bag in the wedge dept. Plus I dont really care if I hit a 8 iron 145 or 155. If the 545 came in a more traditional loft set up I would be itching to try them. I have been buying too much stuff sight unseen this winter and none of it has turned out good so I am done with hoing!!! Plus I just bought some J38 PC for cheap for my back up set!!LOL.
[/quote]
Any opinion on the j40 cb.

I have the J40 CB's and they will not leave the bag anytime soon. I have tried the J15CB's and while good, they are not as good as the J40. I tried Titleist, NIke, TM and a few others up against the J40 and nothing for me was even close except the J15CB's were close.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

[quote name='driveandputtmachine' timestamp='1424112636' post='10964639']
I have the J40 CB's and they will not leave the bag anytime soon. I have tried the J15CB's and while good, they are not as good as the J40. I tried Titleist, NIke, TM and a few others up against the J40 and nothing for me was even close except the J15CB's were close.
[/quote]

Your like me, I just dont think the new BStone line is as good as the J40 line. The 715 driver is a big let down in my book, yea its long but the sound is frickin awful compared to the j40

F9 driver
king LTD 3 wood
F6 hybrid. vts silver
Z565. recoil 95
Pur wedges
Piretti Matera

The DF is more like the forged covert 2.0 and apex than the 745's , j15cb and j40cb. They are two pice forging and feel quite different than the other three.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping G30 LS Tec 10.5*, Tour 65[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping Anser 14.5* fairway [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping Anser 17*, 20* Hybrids[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping G30 4-SW, CFS [/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=3]Mack Daddy PM grind 58*[/size][/color][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=3]Ping CTR Tomcat C heavy 34"[/size][/color][/font]

[quote name='vwgolfer' timestamp='1424112801' post='10964661']
[quote name='driveandputtmachine' timestamp='1424112636' post='10964639']
[/quote]

Your like me, I just dont think the new BStone line is as good as the J40 line. The 715 driver is a big let down in my book, yea its long but the sound is frickin awful compared to the j40
[/quote]

I have not hit the 715 driver line yet. I have a buddy that is hooking me up with the R15, plus I am waiting on a Grenade Driver as well. I will try the 715 Driver at some point and possibly the hybrid. However based upon my findings with the 15 line vs 40 line in the irons I have a feeling I will still be playing the woods and hybrids I have now.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

[quote name='lordemsworth' timestamp='1424111125' post='10964463']
I have just hit the J15 CB, DF, and CB.

Preferred the CB for feel. Preferred them to Srixons, too.

Mind you, I'm a 12 handicap hack, and probably have no reason to be playing these players clubs.
[/quote]

The cb have a very large cavity and are the most forgiving players cb's I have played. No reason you can't handle them , easier than ap2, apex pro , vpc, etc...

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

I have the J40's CB and the Srixon 745's. It would not be fair to compare the two because the J40's have the PXI 6.0 shafts. My Srixon's have the KBS Tours. Thanks to Russ757, I will be installing some Super Peening Blues. What I can say is I dig the J40's more than I do the Srixon's. I have had way too many times when I am 140 yds out and just dig my 9 iron , oops I meant 60* wedge, into the ground. I haven't had that happen to me with the Srixon's. They seem to glide through the turf better. Could be the shaft???? Could be the indian???? But the results still stinks.

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
Mizuno MP A303 putter

appreciate all the comments so far...

right now i'd go 745s if they offered the modus 120x as no upcharge. i could look into buying online from ratkuten but that would get pricey i assume and i've never gone that route.

I'm sold on the modus 120 whether i should be or not. this is pushing me towards bridgestone. I've actually considered buying the shafts and putting them in the j40dpc but i'd rather go with the new line if they are similar.

i keep seeing reviews stating the j15df are that forgiving and basically the CB's with less feel. do i give up a touch of 'softness' for little more forgiveness....

would the j15cb play closer to titleist ap2 or cb, i25 or s55, mp15 or mp54?

would the feel of the j15df be closer to ap2 or srixon745?

i think i'm a perfect example of why i wish OEM's would do a better job offering multiple shaft options even is small upgrade costs. i think I'll wait for a few more reviews on forgiveness difference in j15 CB vs DF.

I also agree that the Srixon 545 looked great but the jacked lofts were a huge turnoff. not only in a full set, but would've been great in a combo set because the 745 and 545 look so much alike, yet the lofts are stupid strong in 545.

Finally, i'm hoping to have a set in my hands a month from now. Is that even possible. I've heard bridgestone is way behind on orders.

Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P

I believe buying from Ratkuten (sp?) with the Modus Tour 120 shafts would 1) Be cheaper than what you could buy here with stock shafts and 2) Give you the Fujiman seal of approval. That is priceless.

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
Mizuno MP A303 putter

can someone at least tell me the the j15DF are softer and have a better feel than the j15DPF.

I received an email from DD. if i ordered tomorrow, they estimate a march 20 ship date, but could be longer.

i have a golf trip planned end of Mar, so i'm thinking about going j40 dpc in whatever shaft and wait until late spring. hopefully by then i'll be able to Test Drive all bridgestone models. They also quoted $710 DF and $639 CB 4-pw. For some reason I feel the CB will hold value and end up being the better choice

Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P

I like the look of the bridgestones especially the j40 I think they are the closest to the srixon 745. I never thought the ap2 would leave my bag but the 745 really didnt give me a choice they are that much better. And to get the nippon modus 120x at no upcharge was a huge plus and also the 51 degree gap wedge

[quote name='pullfade' timestamp='1424127662' post='10966361']
Are the j15 cb satin chrome finish? I know J.W. And Golfjunki say they are easier to play than s55.....true?
[/quote]

Yes I agree with Golfjunki. I keep saying this, but significant cavity on j15, much more than 714cb. Makes the j15 more forgiving , definitely more forgiving than s55, not even close.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1424130013' post='10966643']
Are the j15 cb satin chrome finish? I know J.W. And Golfjunki say they are easier to play than s55.....true?
[/quote]

Yes I agree with Golfjunki. I keep saying this, but significant cavity on j15, much more than 714cb. Makes the j15 more forgiving , definitely more forgiving than s55, not even close.
[/quote]
Satin???

[quote name='pullfade' timestamp='1424135601' post='10967331']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Satin???
[/quote]

No not really. Outline of back is chrome. Face and soles have a somewhat muted looking but still chrome.

Any comparison between the J15 CBs and Mizuno's MP-53? I could use a little more forgiveness sometimesthen my MP-53s. But I haven't found a softer, more workable iron with forgiveness so far.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1424141017' post='10968149']
[quote name='pullfade' timestamp='1424135601' post='10967331']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Satin???
[/quote]

No not really. Outline of back is chrome. Face and soles have a somewhat muted looking but still chrome.
[/quote]

Pretty darn sexy!

how similar in forgiveness and feel are the j15cb and srixon745? i have the ability to go test or demo the 745, so can i assume that if they feel and perform well that the j15cb are more or less forgiving.

also, of the three models, which would benefit someone with slightly steeper angle of attack. i like iron with little blunted edge so that it doesn't dig. looks like srixon would be great for someone that likes a divot, but any thoughts on bridgestones.

any low handicaps even looking at or considering the j15dpf. seems the j40dpc were very playable by better players so wondering if dpf are their replacement. i like long irons being easy to hit so i think i need to just hit the srixon 745 4-5 iron and see how forgiving. if they are comparable to df and cb then i should be good.

Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P

Looks like I should get to answer my questions and decide if I want any of bridgestone models or go with another oem. Bridgestone test drive program is now taking orders. Only py shipping, just have them back within 21 days

http://testdrive.bridgestonegolf.com

Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P