Why I play with vintage clubs!

• 4 months later...

If you could spend a day with me, this is what you would come away with. I'm comfortable anywhere, but the golf course is the place I prefer to be.

I play vintage clubs for one reason...

THEY MAKE ME FEEL GOOD!!

And that is what I prefer most.

Well said ! Everyone has a comfort zone in their mind, staying there as long as we could afford without being interrupted is a luxury. Your Sir, had found the secret in life.

Albert Einstein , and Dalai Lama had similar statement in the past, a simple uneventful life is the best one could achieve.

Congratulation to your reckoning, maybe one of these days I could enjoy the same state of mind.

• 8 months later...

When I get a birdie using new clubs..or wait., that doesn’t happen because I can’t afford new clubs! It’s ridiculous what people pay for these things and they still can’t hit a decent shot!! Anyway, I couldn’t agree more! Love the apex’s and take much pride in kickin a** with them as well, nobody likes to lose but people really hate losing to a guy with 40 year old irons in his bag, I guess if I played more for money I could acquire a set of new clubs but given the choice I’d rather take that money and buy 2 or three more sets of Hogan’s. So maybe it’s a bit of a stretch to say this but in a way every one of us who games these classic clubs is defending the honor of generations passed, in particular generations that believed in quality and craftsmanship, two things that are seriously lacking in the newer clubs I think. People now think they’re technology is so special but nobody understood the game like Hogan and the models crafted back then were like you said “perfection”. That’s what I want in my bag.

New boy here, though I've been reading the classic section of the forum for several years. I play classic clubs because I grew up watching golf in the 1970s and 80s, and those early influences remain the strongest. Somewhere in my mother's stash of photographs is one of me aged about four, swinging one of those toy golf clubs at a plastic ball in the back garden. I think I always wanted to play golf, but my parents thought it meant joining an expensive club and buying more expensive equipment, and wouldn't entertain the concept. I became an angler instead. I still am. Once or twice I remember holidays where there was a putting green and you could hire a putter and a ball (invariably a Bullet putter and a Penfold, or maybe a Commando ball) but that was as far as it went until, a few months before my eighteenth birthday, I landed a job as an assistant greenkeeper at a local private members course and country club. Staff could play on Friday afternoons after 4pm, and we did.

My first clubs were a mixed bunch picked out of a large bin in one of the machine sheds - all clubs found on the course and unclaimed. Some were ladies' clubs, some mens. Nothing matched, but it got me started. I eventually bought a brand new set of Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge irons and a George Nicholl White Heather putter from a golf shop in North London, plus a second hand Mizuno Hot metal 3 wood and a new red Wilson PVC golf bag. I still have the putter and the 3 wood. The bag finally fell apart a couple of years ago. The irons were awful however, or so they seemed at the time. (I recently found an SS Blue Ridge 5 iron in the rack at a local driving range, and took it out for a hit to see if they were as bad as I remembered. They were). I traded the Wilsons fairly quickly in at the same shop for a second hand set of early 1970s Titleist Acushnet irons, which were much better, though rather tatty. I used those for about six months, and then traded them in against a brand new set of John Letters Trilogy irons (the first version) from a local pro-shop. I still have those irons, though I don't use them any more. In hindsight I should have kept the Titleists, but at the time I didn't know the difference.

I used the Trilogy's for the next few years, though having been laid off from the golf club my opportunities to play were severely limited. I had no golfing friends and in those days single players had no standing on the course, and there were only two full-sized courses within walking distance or a bus ride that were pay and play, and both were very busy so I'd be forever giving way to groups of two, three or four players. In the end I gave up. I sold a couple of persimmon Joe Powell woods I'd acquired (that really WAS dumb) though I kept the rest. I moved away from London to Hampshire in 2000, put the clubs in the back of the shed and left them there for twelve years.

One Saturday afternoon in August 2012 I was doing nothing in particular, and decided to visit a driving range that had just opened a mile or two from home. I fished the clubs out from behind all the other stuff in the shed, checked they hadn't gone rusty (they hadn't) and headed off. I bought a bucket of balls, found a free spot and pulled out a five iron. The moment of truth - could I still hit a ball? I'd developed a curious swing when I last played, which involved a very weak right hand grip, a short backswing and a controlled punch. I rehearsed it a couple of times and it seemd to still be there, buried deep in the memory. I put a ball down, and hit it dead straight, about 150 yards. From there on things went rapidly downhill, with twenty years' worth of thins, tops, slices and shanks all pouring out of me and blinking in the daylight. It was enough. I had a big blister on my left hand and sore ribs, but the bug had bitten again...

Following up from my previous post...

Having established that I could still hit a ball reasonably straight more often than not, and concluded it might not be a criminal offence to set foot on a golf course, I started playing around a local pay-and-play half-course. After a few rounds I managed to shoot level bogeys which, from memory, was about the standard I'd reached before I quit. (I'd never had an official handicap but played off nominal 18 for scoring purposes). It was around this point that I stumbled across a set of old clubs in a local house clearance shop - George Nicholl Pinsplitters. 3-8 irons, Howitzer wedge and 1-3 woods - all with original leather grips.. Cost a pound per club. I discovered that I could hit them almost as far as my Letters irons, and more accurately. The discrepancy in yardage was more to do with shaft length than anything else - the lofts were about the same. The woods were laminates, but functional.

I then tried another course a little further away, and subsequently joined the club. Having put in the required three cards I was duly allocated an 18 handicap, but over the next few years I got that down to 9. The Pinsplitters served their purpose in that they taught me to forget all the nonsense about forgiveness and focus on precision, not raw distance. After all, if my seven iron only went a consistent 130 yards, why try to force it to 150? I had a five iron for that. I even had a local club fitter flatten the lie angles a shade as I had a tendency to catch the ball low on the face, and this did improve matters. However, there was a bit of a gap at the sharp end of the set, with the eight iron measuring about 44 degrees of loft, and the Howitzer 56 degrees. I began to look around for something similarly blade-like and got lucky fairly quickly with a set of Mizuno TP9 irons (3-SW) for fifty quid. Initially they were much too long and too upright, but the former situation was resolved when I re-gripped them and found each club had a shaft extension of about 2 inches. I removed these, re-gripped them and found they came out exactly the same length and lie as my old Letters irons. They were still too upright though, and every shot was either a solid draw or a thin fade, depending on where on the face I hit the ball. I went back to the club fitter and asked to have them flattened four degrees.

'Are you sure? That's a lot'

'I'm sure'

'OK - let's see what they are at now, and then do the eight iron first and test it'

'Fine with me'

Having tested the eight iron, she adjusted it to where I got a centred hit each time, and then did the others to half degree steps. When we'd finished it turned out they were four degrees flatter than standard. I must have an eye for these things. They remain my gaming set, though I have others. One set in particular are worth mentioning, as I came by them quite serendipitously.

I spoke before of the Wilson bag I'd had since I started, and which had finally fallen apart. I looked at what was on offer and nothing seemed quite right; it seemed to be a choice between a garishly decorated, over-sized trolley bag, a similarly lurid stand bag, or a tiddly, cheap-looking pencil bag. I wanted a small, lightweight carry bag with a single strap, a direct replacement for the old Wilson. As no-one seems to make them anymore I searched second-hand and found a vintage leather and canvas job for sale locally. The deal was clinched for ten quid and I picked it up. It came with some old clubs which, on examination, proved to be a half-set of Gradidge Demon irons, driver and putter, plus a second driver of no fixed manufacturer. They all had Pyratone-covered Apollo shafts. There was a number 3 iron, a number 5 mashie, a number 8 niblick and a number 9 putter. For a laugh, I took them to the local range to see if they worked. They did - remarkably well in fact, apart from the Demon driver, which turned out to have a crack in the head; luckily the other one is perfectly sound. I have since added a similarly vintage number 7 mashie-niblick and a Tom Stewart number 2 cleek, and most recently a nice number 3 spoon, which this winter will have the original, rather whippy shaft replaced with the one from the broken driver. I have used these clubs frequently, whenever I feel like a leisurely round. Curiously, I shot my best ever score with them - 72, round a par 68 course.

If I could only save one set from the flames, it would be these; I have more invested in the Mizunos, but they could be replaced. One day I will give hickory a try - there is something appealing about manufacturing shots with the old clubs, as opposed to the rather mechanical yardage-driven approach that a full set of numbered irons seems to encourage.

Nice write up gloucesteroldspot, sounds like you're a natural for this part of GolfWRX, have you had a look through the UK Classic Club thread? Lots of clubs on there that you're likely to find in the UK, you could post a picture of your Gradidge Demons!

There are also occasional small get-togethers of UK classic players.

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

• 3 weeks later...

For a change I took the Mizunos out of the bag yesterday and put a set of Gradidge Greensite 2-8 irons in, along with the recently acquired MacGregor W25MT 4 wood which I am rapidly growing very fond of, and a Golden Goose. The chosen course is a short one; 300 yard par fours and 120-150 yard par threes, so no driver required. I've had these Greensite irons for a few years but for some reason have only once taken them out on a course. I must be going soft in the head, because they performed remarkably well. I had joined up with another lone player and dropped a ball three feet from the hole on the short 120 yard par three second. He asked whether I'd used a wedge or a nine iron. 'Seven iron' I replied. He looked baffled.

I carried on hitting some of the straightest shots I've played for a while. I must go out in a field or practice ground and sort out the yardages though; I came up a little short with the five iron on the sixth and dropped into a bunker that guards the green, and then on the ninth I over-compensated from 150 yards by firing a four iron straight over the flag and through the green. I think they are roughly two clubs weaker than a 'traditional' set based around a 45 degree nine iron, and the loftiest club (eight) is around 55 degrees. The two iron goes about 180 yards off a tee. They are quite heavy - no idea of swingweight but would guess mid-high 'D' range. I think the shafts are stiff - they are the dark brown ones with a rather curious stepping pattern of six closely spaced steps just below the grip, then parallel all the way to the hosel. You can just make out the remains of red and white 'True Temper' transfers between the top two steps, but even the best preserved one is incomplete, so all I can see is an S followed by what may or may not be four more letters. Could be the word 'stiff', or I suppose it could be 'steel'. If I get chance I'll take some photos.

Anyway, these may or may not stay in the bag for a while. I should really stick to one set, but I can't help but mess around with different clubs, to see what happens.

I'm not sure how to characterize the attraction of playing with older equipment. I lean towards using stix from the 1980 1995 era, which isn't very old, but by OEM standards is considered obsolete. I think my attraction stems from the feel and flight that the older PING irons yield. I also like proving to the OEM advertisers that they are full of shite. Playing well against bags of the latest and greatest is very satisfying.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

I'm not sure how to characterize the attraction of playing with older equipment. I lean towards using stix from the 1980 1995 era, which isn't very old, but by OEM standards is considered obsolete. I think my attraction stems from the feel and flight that the older PING irons yield. I also like proving to the OEM advertisers that they are full of shite. Playing well against bags of the latest and greatest is very satisfying.

That is the era that I favour as well as it more-or-less coincides with when I first was introduced to the game by a former brother-in-law. I rarely played back then as I didn't have the time and my BIL wasn't much fun to play with as he had no patience for a beginner. He even went so far as to tell me that golf wasn't my game and I needed to find something else to do, which I did for a number of years until my wife decided that golf was a game we could play together.

When you think about it the 80's sort of signifies the start of the modern era where cavity back designs became more wide spread (and popular) and we started to see the first metal woods as well as oversize laminates that were easier to hit. Graphite shafts became more common as well.

As I look through my modest stash, I'm going to downsize to a single set of modern players and a single set from the 80's era for when the mood strikes and the body co-operates.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

As I look through my modest stash, I'm going to downsize to a single set of modern players and a single set from the 80's era for when the mood strikes and the body co-operates.

Me too, except I'll have 2 minimalist sets of moderns / mixed vintage, one pure vintage, and one hickory. Plus, my lovely wife has noticed that I have 12 golf bags, so...... The thrift stores are going to get some loads starting next week.

Me too, except I'll have 2 minimalist sets of moderns / mixed vintage, one pure vintage, and one hickory. Plus, my lovely wife has noticed that I have 12 golf bags, so...... The thrift stores are going to get some loads starting next week.

I should point your post out to my wife as I currently have six bags of clubs in the closet, one of which is hers, plus a couple of shipping boxes of random clubs. Things aren't quite as bad as she thinks! ;)

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I should point your post out to my wife as I currently have six bags of clubs in the closet, one of which is hers, plus a couple of shipping boxes of random clubs. Things aren't quite as bad as she thinks! ;)

Yeah, I know. If I count her coats and shoes / boots you would swear that 47 people live at our house...

Yeah, I know. If I count her coats and shoes / boots you would swear that 47 people live at our house...

Women can be peculiar creatures. When it comes to fashion they never seem to have enough and yet when it comes to the men in their lives spending, that can often earn a derisive glare to suggest that it might be frivolous. It doesn't matter whether you need it or not, I just think that they like to be in control of the purse strings and then they can get it for you as a gift.

Case in point; today I had an eye examination and upon completion decided to order a new pair of glasses. I had two women picking frames for me, taking pictures of me with them on (so I could actually see what i looked like) and then explaining what they liked about one versus another. I think it took me all of about 10 minutes to decide and narrow it down to two pair, after which it came down to cost and the non-designer brand was 2/3 the price of the designer frames, so that sealed the deal. I was quite proud of what I had done on my own while spending less on glasses than I had in many years and that was met with: Well you were brave! I think she was taken aback that I didn't seek out her opinion first. Do you know how many times I was asked for an opinion on new glasses for her? Zero in 33 years of marriage! At least I was smart enough not to point out the inconsistency. :stop:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

For a change I took the Mizunos out of the bag yesterday and put a set of Gradidge Greensite 2-8 irons in, along with the recently acquired MacGregor W25MT 4 wood which I am rapidly growing very fond of, and a Golden Goose. The chosen course is a short one; 300 yard par fours and 120-150 yard par threes, so no driver required. I've had these Greensite irons for a few years but for some reason have only once taken them out on a course. I must be going soft in the head, because they performed remarkably well. I had joined up with another lone player and dropped a ball three feet from the hole on the short 120 yard par three second. He asked whether I'd used a wedge or a nine iron. 'Seven iron' I replied. He looked baffled.

I carried on hitting some of the straightest shots I've played for a while. I must go out in a field or practice ground and sort out the yardages though; I came up a little short with the five iron on the sixth and dropped into a bunker that guards the green, and then on the ninth I over-compensated from 150 yards by firing a four iron straight over the flag and through the green. I think they are roughly two clubs weaker than a 'traditional' set based around a 45 degree nine iron, and the loftiest club (eight) is around 55 degrees. The two iron goes about 180 yards off a tee. They are quite heavy - no idea of swingweight but would guess mid-high 'D' range. I think the shafts are stiff - they are the dark brown ones with a rather curious stepping pattern of six closely spaced steps just below the grip, then parallel all the way to the hosel. You can just make out the remains of red and white 'True Temper' transfers between the top two steps, but even the best preserved one is incomplete, so all I can see is an S followed by what may or may not be four more letters. Could be the word 'stiff', or I suppose it could be 'steel'. If I get chance I'll take some photos.

Anyway, these may or may not stay in the bag for a while. I should really stick to one set, but I can't help but mess around with different clubs, to see what happens.

I'd guess that your Gradidige Greensites are around the 1950s so at least two clubs shorter than a modern set.

One of my first sets of vintage irons were Gradidge, I must get them out for a round before the winter arrives.

I've given up on trying to be consistent and play a different set every week, or sometimes several in one week...

I go on 1950s/1960s irons being two clubs less than modern, 1970s/1980s irons being one club less than modern, although in the last couple of years some modern sets have strengthened another club or two.

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

Kinda where I am. The PING Eye 2 irons are the permanent go-to when I get the vintage urge. The G400 lead the modern game.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

I'd guess that your Gradidige Greensites are around the 1950s so at least two clubs shorter than a modern set.

One of my first sets of vintage irons were Gradidge, I must get them out for a round before the winter arrives.

I've given up on trying to be consistent and play a different set every week, or sometimes several in one week...

I go on 1950s/1960s irons being two clubs less than modern, 1970s/1980s irons being one club less than modern, although in the last couple of years some modern sets have strengthened another club or two.

I would say they are not later than very early 1950s, and may be rather earlier. The shafts are dark brown True Temper steel with six close steps quite high up the shaft. I'm not sure when they first appeared but I assume they must be post-war. The lofts are about 55 degrees for the 8 iron, 50 for the 7.5, 45 for the 7 and so on in five degree increments down to 20 degrees for the 2 iron. This is fairly typical of 1930s sets, which makes me question their true age. They are two clubs weaker than my Mizuno TP9s (which are themselves at least one club weaker than 'modern' specs) and because there's a 7.5 iron the 8 is actually three clubs weaker - equivalent to a sand wedge. I can't get it to carry much more than 75 yards. The 7 iron goes 100-110, the 4 iron about 145-155 and the 2 about 170-180.

Having played most of my golf with sets based around a 45 degree nine iron I am fairly good at picking a club for distance without thinking about it, but these do require a momentary pause to work out what to use. I got it wrong a couple of times at the weekend! It feels really odd pulling a 6 iron to play a 115 yard approach and I have to convince myself to hit it full and not quit on it, but when I do they go very straight and the yardages are consistent. It's only an arbitrary number after all.

Because I miss the time when we all wow at Jack NIcklaus's one iron carried 227 yards. Now some tour players could do that with a 5 iron.

I miss the days when things were a little bit simple and naive !

Try a 6 iron... Something is awfully rotten in Denmark when I'm seeing guys like Jon Rahm hitting an 8 iron into a green from 200 yards out! They may as well stop saying what club the player is using because it's so far off the charts from "normal" as to render the information useless. Sorta reminds me of baseball where we are now awash in data that has led to shifts, openers and all sorts of oddball strategies that work or don't...

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Because I miss the time when we all wow at Jack NIcklaus's one iron carried 227 yards. Now some tour players could do that with a 5 iron.

Try a 6 iron... Something is awfully rotten in Denmark when I'm seeing guys like Jon Rahm hitting an 8 iron into a green from 200 yards out! They may as well stop saying what club the player is using because it's so far off the charts from "normal" as to render the information useless. Sorta reminds me of baseball where we are now awash in data that has led to shifts, openers and all sorts of oddball strategies that work or don't...

It disgust me when player hit 7 -8 irons into the greens with their second shot on any long par 4. I understand the golfers today are taller and stronger but, that's not golf.

It's like going to bed immediately after eyeballing a beautiful woman you'd never met before, taken out all the fun from the chase. Or, maybe that's the scene of today's dating game ?

It disgust me when player hit 7 -8 irons into the greens with their second shot on any long par 4. I understand the golfers today are taller and stronger but, that's not golf.

It's like going to bed immediately after eyeballing a beautiful woman you'd never met before, taken out all the fun from the chase. Or, maybe that's the scene of today's dating game ?

Don't knock it. It's what sells golf clubs. balls and all the other stuff.

Without the arena that is the PGA Tour (not so much elsewhere), the made for purpose homogenous golf layouts (not golf courses anymore) every inch of which are designed to showcase all that stuff you're knocking....well, there would be no Tour or hoopla.

And then where would you be...no Golfwrx either?

Without the arena that is the PGA Tour (not so much elsewhere), the made for purpose homogenous golf layouts (not golf courses anymore) every inch of which are designed to showcase all that stuff you're knocking....well, there would be no Tour or hoopla.

We'd be in the late 40's or early 50's. We'd all go out and enjoy our round for what it was without the specter of this carrot that is being continually dangled before us suggesting we could be just like them if only we spent on what they're being paid to use.

Karsten Solheim and Barney Adams made the game easier for the masses, but that's not what's on offer here. It's like an aphrodisiac for your ego where you too could aspire to be the ordinary looking guy with the sweet ride and the trophy wife as you bomb and gouge your way through life!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

You are right,

BUT, I sort of enjoy the time when the golf is golf.

I like it much better in my father's time when golf is a game to enjoy, not rushed with power cart.

It is supposed to be a pass time, not today's way of hustle and bustle.

If I get to chose between the internet and books, Personally I'd enjoy the books a lot more with my favorite beverage than internet.

I also enjoy receiving a hand written letter/ thank you note from my dear friends. Thankfully, my kids kept that tradition of sending a thank you note to their friends. I enjoyed it very much when receiving a hand made birthday card from my kids, I kept all of them..

I do realize that once the cat is out of the bag can not be taken back.

I was taught as a youngster, my mind should be at the forefront of the new ways, but my action should be carefully planned and tested.

Today is the opposite, people can't wait to get the tomorrow's food on today's plate, whether it's ready or not.

We'd be in the late 40's or early 50's. We'd all go out and enjoy our round for what it was without the specter of this carrot that is being continually dangled before us suggesting we could be just like them if only we spent on what they're being paid to use.

Karsten Solheim and Barney Adams made the game easier for the masses, but that's not what's on offer here. It's like an aphrodisiac for your ego where you too could aspire to be the ordinary looking guy with the sweet ride and the trophy wife as you bomb and gouge your way through life!

I think, the ceiling of physical limitation for human body had been tested in the last few decades, and soon, we'll have seen more golf related injury much sooner at a younger age.

What that told me was, golfing at the highest competitive level is reaching it's limit on the golfer's side for physical ability.

Perhaps, the game will revert back to what it used to be.

Were the old days really more simple and innocent or was it just us, in our carefree youth, that made it seem simple?

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Were the old days really more simple and innocent or was it just us, in our carefree youth, that made it seem simple?

Oh I don't know about that. When I was young I was all about maximizing performance. I looked to make things more complicated looking for an edge. I didn't figure out the folly in those ways until recently. Now it's all about KISS or keep it simple stupid! It's not so much about how you perform, it's about getting out there and playing the game and enjoying yourself. I've wasted far too much time worrying about performing at the expense of enjoying myself. In fact, I equated one with the other. The sooner you figure out that they are independent pursuits the better!

I'd like to think that I've finally discovered the way back to the carefree ways of childhood and the fun and friendships that entailed. Oh sure, we have serious business to contend with in our elder years, but you had better take advantage of those good times when they're on offer and embrace them to the fullest!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

If I'm thinking of the same shot you are, wasn't it into the wind?

I seem to remember Jack saying he could hit his 8 iron 175 instead of 145, but he didnt see the need to do so...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors