Club Championship Stories

jcsewell1

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1426692206' post='11166369']
[quote name='Mitchell' timestamp='1426645551' post='11164017'] The year after I won my first club championship at a former club, the course went from private to semi-private due to sale to a management group. The new director of golf was a former Nationwide tour player who had just gotten amateur status reinstated and he continually chirped that he would easily win next Club Championship due to his "tour experience" to anyone within earshot. Needless to say, this behavior did not endear him to membership. I met him in match-play semis and barely managed an 8 and 7 win. :) In finals, I made an Eagle from 85 yards out on a par 5 to win 1 up over a very good player and friend that has subsequently passed away from ALS. Led by my friend, 7 of the "elite eight" chose not to attend banquet and went out to a nice dinner at restauant owned by another member together, leaving D. of G. to attempt to explain absence to President of management group, who had driven from Fla.to NC to meet members. After this experience, new D. of G. was assigned and I retired from playing in club championships. [/quote]

The baddest man I know. Well played, Sensei.
[/quote]

That may have been the greatest golf short story I've read. I felt all emotional and enjoyed every second. Love the ending!

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a cart attendant at a nice club in N. FL, our club champion was a guy that split his time living with his mom (he was about 42) and a hole in the ground (underground fort) on a friend's land north of town. Said friend was a PGA Tour member. This club champ had a fake leg, and it was hollow. He stored his pot in it. Great player. Drove a dilapitated Gremlin with epoxy holding parts of the hood together and his pet pit bull inside, with a water bowl/food dish and the resultant output laying here and there in the car. He was on disability, didn't really work. Good player.

Signed his name CXXXX McXXXXXXX, C.C. The "C.C." was for you-know-what.

The blue-blood upstanding members (think Smails) COULD NOT STAND IT.
Us cart attendants loved it. He was a lot of fun.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

I feel kinda stupid telling this story because, the stories above are all about actual club championships... but, I'll tell it anyway.

I played primarily at a local county course in New Jersey. It was 2009 and I had never played in a club championship tournament before. Coming into the tournament, I had been shooting about 103 on average, and my handicap was somewhere around a 26 at the time. There were 4 flights... Champ, A, B and C. I think that C Flight was for anybody with a handicap of 16.1 or more. I went into the qualifier figuring I'd just play for fun and to get a little more tournament experience.

I ended up playing one of the best rounds of my life (to that point) and posting a 91. This qualified me in 4th place heading into the match play portion. Because C Flight was so small, there were a few players who earned a bye in the first round, I was one of them.

Second round, I ended up facing off against one of the guys I had played with earlier that year in the Men's Amateur Tournament and in the qualifying round of the Club Championship. I jumped out to a 3 up lead through 3 holes... then I slowly started to give it away. By the 11th tee, we were all square, and by the 13th tee, I was 2 down. I worked hard and I was able to square the match again by the 15th tee. I gave away that hole by leaving my tee shot short of the green in a deep bunker. I got that hole back on the 16th with a nice par. Then, the worst hole on the course ate me up. I put 2 balls into the woods off the tee and he was on the green in 2, so I gave him the hole heading to the 18th down a hole. I was just right of the green in regulation and he was deep on the back of the green in 3. My chip was ugly and I left it on the fringe. He lagged his par putt to tap-in range, so I had to make the 12 footer from the fringe. I buried it and we went to extra holes. I made a par on the 1st hole and he couldn't get up and down, so I advanced. I was extremely happy with how I played and I started to feel a little more confident. I posted a 97 on that round and still managed to win 1 up.

I ended up having to face the number 1 seed in the next round (semi-finals). He was a popular guy around the club and I was relatively unknown. I had a bunch of people essentially tell me there's no way I'd win. I played what, to this day, is the best nine holes of my life. I posted a 40 (+4) and I was 3 up heading to the back side. I closed out the match on the 15th green, winning 5 & 3. The back side wasn't as good for me, but he was rattled by how well I had played on the front and he just had nothing left in him to try and come back. So, I was on to the finals.

My opponent ended up showing up to the tee about 10 seconds before the tee time. He literally ran from his car right to the tee. It was a 36 hole final, so I knew it was going to be a long day. I felt like I had an advantage since he showed up so late... but I was also nervous because his handicap was 16.3 and I was still in the 25.2 range at that point. I started well, getting to 2 up through 7 holes, but then things went south in a hurry. I hit some really poor shots towards the end of the first 18 holes and I was 2 down heading into the second 18 holes. I never got it closer from that point. The break between rounds, I went and grabbed a bite to eat and then putted a little bit (there was no range on this course). He ended up trouncing me 6 & 4.

Still... I was happy to have made the finals. I still regret a few decisions I made throughout the rounds... but I held my head high. The next year, I joined a club that played throughout the state. Each week, in addition to playing a stroke play format, there was a match play format against an opponent in your group. I ended up going 9-3-2 that season in match play. It's still one of my favorite formats and, in tournament play, I've amassed a record of 15-7-4 since my first match play tournament in 2009.

Again... I realize you all probably wanted true Club Championship stories, as in Championship Flights, but... I'm nowhere near that level.

:D

CY

[quote name='cyoung2ty' timestamp='1426867198' post='11180123']
I feel kinda stupid telling this story because, the stories above are all about actual club championships... but, I'll tell it anyway.

I played primarily at a local county course in New Jersey. It was 2009 and I had never played in a club championship tournament before. Coming into the tournament, I had been shooting about 103 on average, and my handicap was somewhere around a 26 at the time. There were 4 flights... Champ, A, B and C. I think that C Flight was for anybody with a handicap of 16.1 or more. I went into the qualifier figuring I'd just play for fun and to get a little more tournament experience.

I ended up playing one of the best rounds of my life (to that point) and posting a 91. This qualified me in 4th place heading into the match play portion. Because C Flight was so small, there were a few players who earned a bye in the first round, I was one of them.

Second round, I ended up facing off against one of the guys I had played with earlier that year in the Men's Amateur Tournament and in the qualifying round of the Club Championship. I jumped out to a 3 up lead through 3 holes... then I slowly started to give it away. By the 11th tee, we were all square, and by the 13th tee, I was 2 down. I worked hard and I was able to square the match again by the 15th tee. I gave away that hole by leaving my tee shot short of the green in a deep bunker. I got that hole back on the 16th with a nice par. Then, the worst hole on the course ate me up. I put 2 balls into the woods off the tee and he was on the green in 2, so I gave him the hole heading to the 18th down a hole. I was just right of the green in regulation and he was deep on the back of the green in 3. My chip was ugly and I left it on the fringe. He lagged his par putt to tap-in range, so I had to make the 12 footer from the fringe. I buried it and we went to extra holes. I made a par on the 1st hole and he couldn't get up and down, so I advanced. I was extremely happy with how I played and I started to feel a little more confident. I posted a 97 on that round and still managed to win 1 up.

I ended up having to face the number 1 seed in the next round (semi-finals). He was a popular guy around the club and I was relatively unknown. I had a bunch of people essentially tell me there's no way I'd win. I played what, to this day, is the best nine holes of my life. I posted a 40 (+4) and I was 3 up heading to the back side. I closed out the match on the 15th green, winning 5 & 3. The back side wasn't as good for me, but he was rattled by how well I had played on the front and he just had nothing left in him to try and come back. So, I was on to the finals.

My opponent ended up showing up to the tee about 10 seconds before the tee time. He literally ran from his car right to the tee. It was a 36 hole final, so I knew it was going to be a long day. I felt like I had an advantage since he showed up so late... but I was also nervous because his handicap was 16.3 and I was still in the 25.2 range at that point. I started well, getting to 2 up through 7 holes, but then things went south in a hurry. I hit some really poor shots towards the end of the first 18 holes and I was 2 down heading into the second 18 holes. I never got it closer from that point. The break between rounds, I went and grabbed a bite to eat and then putted a little bit (there was no range on this course). He ended up trouncing me 6 & 4.

Still... I was happy to have made the finals. I still regret a few decisions I made throughout the rounds... but I held my head high. The next year, I joined a club that played throughout the state. Each week, in addition to playing a stroke play format, there was a match play format against an opponent in your group. I ended up going 9-3-2 that season in match play. It's still one of my favorite formats and, in tournament play, I've amassed a record of 15-7-4 since my first match play tournament in 2009.

Again... I realize you all probably wanted true Club Championship stories, as in Championship Flights, but... I'm nowhere near that level.

CY
[/quote]

Damn this sounds fun. I am around the same skill level

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

First round heroics ... final round heartaches.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

[quote name='3jacker' timestamp='1426866095' post='11179967']
When I was a cart attendant at a nice club in N. FL, our club champion was a guy that split his time living with his mom (he was about 42) and a hole in the ground (underground fort) on a friend's land north of town. Said friend was a PGA Tour member. This club champ had a fake leg, and it was hollow. He stored his pot in it. Great player. Drove a dilapitated Gremlin with epoxy holding parts of the hood together and his pet pit bull inside, with a water bowl/food dish and the resultant output laying here and there in the car. He was on disability, didn't really work. Good player.

Signed his name CXXXX McXXXXXXX, C.C. The "C.C." was for you-know-what.

The blue-blood upstanding members (think Smails) COULD NOT STAND IT.
Us cart attendants loved it. He was a lot of fun.
[/quote]

bahahahahaah! He stored his pot in his fake leg????? That is amazing.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

CY
[/quote]Not at all CY-

GREAT Story!!

First, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting!

Your experience is what this game is all about and why I think that it's the greatest game/sport on earth.

Your experience and record in Match Play is excellent, and as has often been said, "Medal play will tell You who's the better golfer, Match Play, the better man."

Continued success my Friend, and enjoy the board, a lot of excellent Guys & Gals :)

My Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Sorry Guys, I was in the wrong thread with my "boss" story, LMAO.

Have a nice weekend :)

Fairways & Greens My Friends,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I changed clubs last year. At my previous club, I had won one club championship and two senior club championships. The depth and breadth of players at the new club is far greater and the new course is far more difficult from the tips. Too much course for me (74.5, 142) in the regular club championship but a good test (72.7, 137) in the tees that are played in the Senior Club Championship.

I was playing well going into the Sr. Club Championship but didnt think I had enough tournament experience on the course to beat out any of 10 guys who were good enough to win. I played with the former club pro the first day and hit the ball as good as I could but a silly mistake and a cold putter turned a 69 into a 73. I had a 2-shot lead going into the final round on Sunday.

I started out Sunday with a few stray shots but I started making everything on or near the green. Four birdies in the first 6 holes, which included a 15-footer, 20-footer, 35-footer, and a difficult flop shot. Suddenly I had a 5-shot lead but it didnt last. I made a couple of bogeys and my nearest competitor was heating up. The lead was down to 1 as I stood on the 14th tee. I then played the most perfect five holes I've ever played in those circumstances. I didn't miss a shot and made four pars and one birdie to shoot 71. 73-71-144 and I had fought off a guy who threw a 71 at me. Easily the best golf I've ever played in the final round of a stroke play tournament.

The golf gods had looked after me on that front nine and somehow I found a way to hit some difficult shots on the back nine. I would have been OK with a Top 5 so you can imagine how I felt.

There's a guy who also came over from my previous club who is a very good player and he likes to say stuff. When he saw me on Sunday pre-round, he didnt say "Nice round yesterday". He said "You probably didnt sleep much last night having to sleep on the lead". I thought that was pretty rude, especially considering that I've won more stuff than him. He ended up shooting 82-79 so I only beat him by 17 shots. I bit my lip and just said "Thanks" when he congratulated me after the final round. I'm a great believer in positive thinking and would never say anything like he said pre-round.

I have a few club championship memories. Of all the clubs I have been a member, the Club champs have been 2 rounds strokeplay qualifying and then matchplay, either 16 or 8, knockout. In my first junior champ final, I was 14 playing a 17 year old (now the pro at Loch Lomond). The weather was atrocious and I got a 15&14 doing! Fortunately I bounced back and won the next two years. I then played the same guy in the adult championship a few years later (before he turned pro). I had shot 65 in the quarter final to win a tough match but was beaten 8&7 in the semis - I was only 2 over par when I lost!!

I then moved to the East coast of Scotland. I won my first adult club champ at a course called Glenisla, played great in the final and won 8&7 over 2 rounds.

I then joined Carnoustie. There are 5 different clubs at Carnoustie, I am a carnoustie mercantile member - a club that had over 1000 members in the 1979s but now has less than a hundred. There are some seriously Impressive trophies, it's just a shame the club membership numbers are so low and alot of the trophies are not played for. I have won the championship the last 3 years. I am not a classic links player by any means but there is something about that course that brings out the best in me

Cheers for reading

Pedro

ec710f324a1c4256f4810bee1c6581bf.jpg

Ok. I'm going to brag on a relative.

My Great Aunt won the Ladies Club Championship at my home club every year from the mid 1950s until 1970. The finally cancelled the Tournamet for about 10 years because it wasnt competitive.

Fast forward to 1980 and someone started Club Championship again. She didn't play that first year but after seeing the winning score from all of the new/young players she came out of retirement and won it in 81. She won it for the final time while I was in college in the early 90s.

200 yards of the tee. 3w or 5w from 150-160 yds....and I don't think she ever missed a putt.

I was playing with her the first time she shot her age. 66.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

I have a few club championship memories. Of all the clubs I have been a member, the Club champs have been 2 rounds strokeplay qualifying and then matchplay, either 16 or 8, knockout. In my first junior champ final, I was 14 playing a 17 year old (now the pro at Loch Lomond). The weather was atrocious and I got a 15&14 doing! Fortunately I bounced back and won the next two years. I then played the same guy in the adult championship a few years later (before he turned pro). I had shot 65 in the quarter final to win a tough match but was beaten 8&7 in the semis - I was only 2 over par when I lost!!

I then moved to the East coast of Scotland. I won my first adult club champ at a course called Glenisla, played great in the final and won 8&7 over 2 rounds.

I then joined Carnoustie. There are 5 different clubs at Carnoustie, I am a carnoustie mercantile member - a club that had over 1000 members in the 1979s but now has less than a hundred. There are some seriously Impressive trophies, it's just a shame the club membership numbers are so low and alot of the trophies are not played for. I have won the championship the last 3 years. I am not a classic links player by any means but there is something about that course that brings out the best in me

Cheers for reading

Pedro

Now THAT'S a frickin trophy!!!

Hats Off & Thanks for sharing!!

Continued success and welcome to the board :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

Richard

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1426777982' post='11173113']
[quote name='El Santo' timestamp='1426771587' post='11172357']
What prize would you rather play for than the coveted parking spot?
[/quote]That parking spot was THE most coveted prize, lol. We have a "Men's lot" that is right next to the locker room, the clubhouse & Pro shop and the practice tee. The spot is the third spot from the clubhouse, next to the Pro's & 1st Asst(which I was instrumental in getting for him as originally they had to park in the lot furthest from the clubhouse back behind the tennis courts-They don't get paid dirt, the least we can do is give em a nice spot!).

So I show up the week after my first one, either a Weds or Thursday late afternoon, to play in the Inter-Club swat, the "Moonlighters," and I roll down to the Men's lot and my spot is taken......

By my Father!!

So, he plays earlier in the day in the general swat and I knew that he'd be hitting balls on the practice tee, as he lived on the practice tee. For an Am, he dug more dirt than anyone I've ever seen, lol.

So I walk down and ask him about Parkin in MY spot-

He didn't even look up and rolled another ball into place and replied, though I am paraphrasing, "The only reason that you had clubs to hit or a place to hit them is because of me. This doesn't begin to repay me, but it's a start."

I turned and walked up to my locker to get ready for the swat.

My Father always has had a way of keepin my ego in check ;)

Richard
[/quote]

Funny story- And this was within a few days of the vomiting incident? Your dad sounds a lot like mine.. 'I gave you life, I can take it away.'

Last year, I won our A Flight (6-10 hdcp) for the second time in three years. I shot 70-[color=#ff0000][b]79[/b][/color] as my putter went south in the second round. Anyway, to do this twice at ages 65 and 67, I am quite pleased and hope to successfully defend this year.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1426893548' post='11182581']

CY
[/quote]Not at all CY-

GREAT Story!!

First, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting!

Your experience is what this game is all about and why I think that it's the greatest game/sport on earth.

Your experience and record in Match Play is excellent, and as has often been said, "Medal play will tell You who's the better golfer, Match Play, the better man."

Continued success my Friend, and enjoy the board, a lot of excellent Guys & Gals :)

My Best,
Richard
[/quote]

Thanks Richard! I appreciate the kind words!

CY

[quote name='swoll cracker' timestamp='1426913305' post='11184417']
I changed clubs last year. At my previous club, I had won one club championship and two senior club championships. The depth and breadth of players at the new club is far greater and the new course is far more difficult from the tips. Too much course for me (74.5, 142) in the regular club championship but a good test (72.7, 137) in the tees that are played in the Senior Club Championship.

I was playing well going into the Sr. Club Championship but didnt think I had enough tournament experience on the course to beat out any of 10 guys who were good enough to win. I played with the former club pro the first day and hit the ball as good as I could but a silly mistake and a cold putter turned a 69 into a 73. I had a 2-shot lead going into the final round on Sunday.

I started out Sunday with a few stray shots but I started making everything on or near the green. Four birdies in the first 6 holes, which included a 15-footer, 20-footer, 35-footer, and a difficult flop shot. Suddenly I had a 5-shot lead but it didnt last. I made a couple of bogeys and my nearest competitor was heating up. The lead was down to 1 as I stood on the 14th tee. I then played the most perfect five holes I've ever played in those circumstances. I didn't miss a shot and made four pars and one birdie to shoot 71. 73-71-144 and I had fought off a guy who threw a 71 at me. Easily the best golf I've ever played in the final round of a stroke play tournament.

The golf gods had looked after me on that front nine and somehow I found a way to hit some difficult shots on the back nine. I would have been OK with a Top 5 so you can imagine how I felt.

There's a guy who also came over from my previous club who is a very good player and he likes to say stuff. When he saw me on Sunday pre-round, he didnt say "Nice round yesterday". He said "You probably didnt sleep much last night having to sleep on the lead". I thought that was pretty rude, especially considering that I've won more stuff than him. He ended up shooting 82-79 so I only beat him by 17 shots. I bit my lip and just said "Thanks" when he congratulated me after the final round. I'm a great believer in positive thinking and would never say anything like he said pre-round.
[/quote]

I hate the digs, last year I took 3rd in mine. A few day after the champions I was playing 18 and blocked a tee shot on the right and had to hit a high cut to carve a ball out of the woods. I managed to put the ball on the green but it released to the back leaving me a downhill 50 footer. I pull my cart up and there is the guy that lost in a playoff. He looks at me all cocky like and goes "you really have to stay below the hole out here". This is obvious for the course but from where I was I didn't exactly have options. I don't think he even knows I took third in the thing (and played rather poorly honestly). I simply said, thanks buddy but I stored it in my head and plan on whooping the course and his sorry butt next year. It's also funny because when I was younger I was recording this guys kids crappy emo band. His bandmates didn't like him much either so. So we leave the studio and TP his house. He doesn't know that was me either. Hopefully i'll get paired with him in the final round and can make some digs about get tp'd or something. Funny how things come full circle like that.

[quote name='BJG718' timestamp='1426945517' post='11185469']
[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1426777982' post='11173113']
[quote name='El Santo' timestamp='1426771587' post='11172357']
What prize would you rather play for than the coveted parking spot?
[/quote]That parking spot was THE most coveted prize, lol. We have a "Men's lot" that is right next to the locker room, the clubhouse & Pro shop and the practice tee. The spot is the third spot from the clubhouse, next to the Pro's & 1st Asst(which I was instrumental in getting for him as originally they had to park in the lot furthest from the clubhouse back behind the tennis courts-They don't get paid dirt, the least we can do is give em a nice spot!).

So I show up the week after my first one, either a Weds or Thursday late afternoon, to play in the Inter-Club swat, the "Moonlighters," and I roll down to the Men's lot and my spot is taken......

By my Father!!

So, he plays earlier in the day in the general swat and I knew that he'd be hitting balls on the practice tee, as he lived on the practice tee. For an Am, he dug more dirt than anyone I've ever seen, lol.

So I walk down and ask him about Parkin in MY spot-

He didn't even look up and rolled another ball into place and replied, though I am paraphrasing, "The only reason that you had clubs to hit or a place to hit them is because of me. This doesn't begin to repay me, but it's a start."

I turned and walked up to my locker to get ready for the swat.

My Father always has had a way of keepin my ego in check ;)

Richard
[/quote]

Funny story- And this was within a few days of the vomiting incident? Your dad sounds a lot like mine.. 'I gave you life, I can take it away.'
[/quote]You've met my Father?

LMAO, I actually heard that quote as a teenager, as you obviously did too, because that is not one that most would use, lol

They are unique, are they not?

Kidding aside, his "way," has been of immense help to me as I have gone through life, though I'm thankful that I've had my Mother & Grandmother to balance it out and show me when I was younger that there is always a few ways to say something :)

Have a great season Bro!!

All the Best,
Richard

I have a few club championship memories. Of all the clubs I have been a member, the Club champs have been 2 rounds strokeplay qualifying and then matchplay, either 16 or 8, knockout. In my first junior champ final, I was 14 playing a 17 year old (now the pro at Loch Lomond). The weather was atrocious and I got a 15&amp;14 doing! Fortunately I bounced back and won the next two years. I then played the same guy in the adult championship a few years later (before he turned pro). I had shot 65 in the quarter final to win a tough match but was beaten 8&amp;7 in the semis - I was only 2 over par when I lost!!

I then moved to the East coast of Scotland. I won my first adult club champ at a course called Glenisla, played great in the final and won 8&amp;7 over 2 rounds.

Cheers for reading

Pedro

Now THAT'S a frickin trophy!!!

Hats Off & Thanks for sharing!!

Continued success and welcome to the board :)

Richard

Cheers buddy. Yeah it's a great trophy, fingers crossed for this year

Pedro

My story is my dads back in 2004
Our club champs at the time were 36 hole qualifying and top 8 match play. My dad was not very liked by the comity due to a ruling being overturned by saga that saw the captains team finish in second for a team event. This happened a couple of years prior to the champs. Dad made top spot qualifying with sub 75 rounds in monsoon like conditions. He won his first match and went on to the semi where he come up against a member of the runner up team from years prior. It was all square on the 6th hole when he hit his second in the bunker. When we arrived we saw the ball a good 6" bellow the sand sitting on dirt in wash out from the rain. He notified his partner that he was going to take a drop when his partner said I'm sorry you don't get relief from that play it as is. I was caddying for him after winning the junior champs as it was 36 holes stroke over the qualifying. I've thought I'll sort this out while dad protests his drop. I pulled the official rule book out given to me by the club. In the mean time dad's opponent has called for a ruling. I found the ruling and was more then happy to let them know all about it. I was getting a little pumped. Dad's opponent and caddy still disputed it and along arrives the rules official who happens to be another member of the bitter loosing side from years before. The ruling from the official was play it as it lies. I'm jumping up and down waving my rule book everywhere now. Dad now takes two to get out of the bunker and conceded the hole. It was probably the best thing that could have happened to dad as it fired him up and drive him to absolute determination that he was going to win the match. He was 1 down at 16 and stiffed one to a few feet to make birdie and square the match. We over heard his opponent say to his caddy that don't worry dad can't putt and he will choke. 17 a long par 5 both are on in 3 sitting about 15 ft. His partner missus his putt and the tap in is told to pick it up. I help dad with the read at the right edge. And the ball hits the back of the cup and drops. Now 1 up down the last dad steers a bunt drive 30m short of what he is capable of but it's in the middle. His partner misses the fairway into the rough and misses his approach. I hand dad one more than he needs and tell him just to knock it down any where on is a win. He hits the back of the green. His partner chips up to 6ft and has a good look at par but requires dad to 3 put to take him down the 19th. We get to dad's putt and it's a solid 35ft down hill with 4 ft of break. To stop it within 6ft of the hole would be an effort. Dad hits the putt and from the moment it leaves the face it doesn't look like missing. Drops in the hole at perfect dying pace. Dad races over to shake his hand and kindly let him know that he can't putt. Best golfing moment I've ever witnessed and this was just the semi. On to the final and dad's last opponent is a little bitter about the loss and is on the bag of the guy dad has to play in the final. 17th hole and dad is one up. He hits one left hand rough witch is a good spot to be. His partner tee's off massive push cut right heading oob. We hear the crash of ball on corrugated iron. He asks his caddy if he should hit another who replies unless you can stand on a roof. Not another word is spoken and the guy plays his third. We get down the fairway and there are two balls in the middle and dads on the edge. He says hey my first is in. I smile and reply that's good now hit your 4th from your second ball. We were quick to let them know that you didn't call provisional so it's not in play. Dad makes a play safe bogey 6 to win 2 and 1. A couple of weeks later they drag me in to the club house after my round to tell me that I will be receiving the junior club Champ trophy but they won't be putting my name on the board next to my dads because we had 8 starters for our juniors( min required to hold junior champs at our course) because 2 disqualified on the last round due to poor weather and knowing they weren't within ten shots of me.
It's now 2015 and I've just returned to competitive golf after 10 years off and I'm lobbying the comity to change the board. If you made it to hear thanks for your time and I hope you enjoyed my best and worst club champ experience.

I have been lucky enough to win two different club championships at two different courses. The first win was quite fun and I will try and explain it as best I can.

I had been playing really good golf leading into the club championship in 2005. My HDCP was +1. I hadn't shot over 71 in a couple weeks. Our club championship was 54 holes. I was feeling really good about the club championship. I managed to go out the first day and shoot a 79 and was totally demoralized and actually went home and almost was in tears. I was fairly young and had a lot to learn yet.

Well as I was at home (I lived on the golf course) the assistant pro pulled up to my back yard in a cart and asked my wife to get me to come out. Well I came outside and he was awesome. He told me that the tournament was mine and the wind was going to pick up the next two days and to just stay focused. It was super good of him to do that. Gave me all the confidence I needed.

I managed to go out the next day and shoot 68. Was one shot off the lead after the second day. It was a super windy day and I was -5 thru 7 holes. My heart was racing and I felt on top of the world. I leaked a little oil coming in but the conditions were tough.

Final day was fairly windy and I felt totally in control of my game. I managed to shoot 69 and won the club championship by 10 strokes. I still remember every shot I hit the final round. Was an amazing day and will definitely go down as one of the best days of my life. Great experience.

I have just won my second one last year. There is a young guy at our course that is attempting to go pro and he has won our club championship for the last few years. I didnt think I had a chance. I have been playing super consistent, shooting between 68 and 74 every round. I shot 70 the first day and he shot 76. The door was opened for me to win.

On the way to the course I knew it was my tournament to lose. If I played well he would have to shoot -5 or -6 to catch me. I was -1 thru 14 holes and it started to get windy. Our hole 16 & 17 are two challenging holes when the wind picks up. I think I was choking a bit and bogied both 16 & 17. The young guy was in with a 68 (-4). He was even par for the club championship. I was -1 for the tournament.

Standing on the 18th hold I hit the best drive of the day. 18 is a short par five, easily hit in two. I managed to hit my four iron over the back of the green and had the worst lie ever. It took my two to get it on the green. I made my par and won.

I did tear up a bit, mainly because I am 42 years old and not to sure how many more club championships I will be contending in. Another great experience.

Thanks for reading. Hit em straight. Cheers

[quote name='rgk5' timestamp='1426946069' post='11185503']
Last year, I won our A Flight (6-10 hdcp) for the second time in three years. I shot 70-[color=#ff0000][b]79[/b][/color] as my putter went south in the second round. Anyway, to do this twice at ages 65 and 67, I am quite pleased and hope to successfully defend this year.
[/quote]Hats Off RG!!

That is Incredible and You have much to be proud of!!

You obviously have a Timeless swing and game!!

Very Well Played my Friend :)

Have a nice Weekend,
Richard

[quote name='Jones01' timestamp='1427519019' post='11232761']
I have been lucky enough to win two different club championships at two different courses. The first win was quite fun and I will try and explain it as best I can.

I had been playing really good golf leading into the club championship in 2005. My HDCP was +1. I hadn't shot over 71 in a couple weeks. Our club championship was 54 holes. I was feeling really good about the club championship. I managed to go out the first day and shoot a 79 and was totally demoralized and actually went home and almost was in tears. I was fairly young and had a lot to learn yet.

Well as I was at home (I lived on the golf course) the assistant pro pulled up to my back yard in a cart and asked my wife to get me to come out. Well I came outside and he was awesome. He told me that the tournament was mine and the wind was going to pick up the next two days and to just stay focused. It was super good of him to do that. Gave me all the confidence I needed.

I managed to go out the next day and shoot 68. Was one shot off the lead after the second day. It was a super windy day and I was -5 thru 7 holes. My heart was racing and I felt on top of the world. I leaked a little oil coming in but the conditions were tough.

Final day was fairly windy and I felt totally in control of my game. I managed to shoot 69 and won the club championship by 10 strokes. I still remember every shot I hit the final round. Was an amazing day and will definitely go down as one of the best days of my life. Great experience.

I have just won my second one last year. There is a young guy at our course that is attempting to go pro and he has won our club championship for the last few years. I didnt think I had a chance. I have been playing super consistent, shooting between 68 and 74 every round. I shot 70 the first day and he shot 76. The door was opened for me to win.

On the way to the course I knew it was my tournament to lose. If I played well he would have to shoot -5 or -6 to catch me. I was -1 thru 14 holes and it started to get windy. Our hole 16 & 17 are two challenging holes when the wind picks up. I think I was choking a bit and bogied both 16 & 17. The young guy was in with a 68 (-4). He was even par for the club championship. I was -1 for the tournament.

Standing on the 18th hold I hit the best drive of the day. 18 is a short par five, easily hit in two. I managed to hit my four iron over the back of the green and had the worst lie ever. It took my two to get it on the green. I made my par and won.

I did tear up a bit, mainly because I am 42 years old and not to sure how many more club championships I will be contending in. Another great experience.

Thanks for reading. Hit em straight. Cheers
[/quote]Great Stories and Better Victories Jonesy!!

Very Well Played!

You have many more in the tank!!

Many more :)

Stay Well My Friend,
Richard

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1427546038' post='11233587']
[/quote]Hats Off RG!!

Have a nice Weekend,
Richard
[/quote]

Thanks, Richard. As for my swing well, lets just say it is functional.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

[quote name='rgk5' timestamp='1427555688' post='11234331']
[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1427546038' post='11233587']
[/quote]Hats Off RG!!

Have a nice Weekend,
Richard
[/quote]

Thanks, Richard. As for my swing well, lets just say it is FUNCTIONAL.
[/quote]Contrary to what is said in the Instruction Section ;) , THAT is all that it takes.

Simple, Functional & Repeatable under Pressure!!

Continued Success My Friend :)

Have a Great Season,
Richard

GREAT thread JC!!

Welcome to the board :)

Have a great season!!

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Playing in my first ever CC two years ago off of a 21 hc, after the second round I was lying in 11th place in the net comp (we have Gross and Net comps running concurrently). I was playing fairly solidly and happy to even be in the top 30, let alone 11th!

Anyway, I get to the 17th hole. Par 3.

Took 10.

I don't think I need to say any more...

[size=1](last year I didn't even make the cut, so even less to say about that!)[/size]

[size=2][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][b]Fly-Z 9.5deg[/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][b]G20 5W 18deg[/b]
[b]Z U65 3/20deg[/b]
[b]Z 765 4-PW[/b]
[b]RTX-3 52/10[/b]
[b]RTX-3 58/12[/b]
[b]Karsten 1959 Anser 2[/b][/font][/size]

• 2 weeks later...

there's an old municipal 36-hole track out away from town almost in the country, that I learned to play golf on with my dad. He and his buddies played every saturday and sunday in a money game, that started 30+ years ago and persists to this day. It's not a great course, they don't even water the fairways, the greens are shaggy and roll about a 4, people's dogs follow them around on the course, and people play music. Still, it has lots of sentimental value to me.

Fast forward, I am 31 and have not been to this course in years but feeling good about my game. I am feeling the urge to compete again so my dad tells me to go out to this course and play in the money game and get the juices flowing again. I pull up saturday morning and there is an open parking spot right up front. Great! As soon as I pull in, an older guy around 75 start banging on the trunk of my car and yelling. I roll down the window and whip my head around and he says "this parking space is for club champions only! you can't park here!". There was no sign or designation, I didn't know the protocol, but this wasn't going to satisfy him, he continues to berate me as I back my car out and park in the back of the lot.

I was officially steamed. It was not my intention to regularly play at this course, but for the next 5-6 weeks, I played every weekend at that course until the championship, where I led after day 1 and despite leaking oil the 2nd day which resulted in a playoff, I won. I took 2 pictures with the guy from the newspaper and got my $100 in pro shop gift card, but the sweetest moment came a week later after they had made the metal sign with my name on it and put it over the C.C. parking spot. As I was pulling in, fate dealt me a great hand... the guy who originally jumped all over me for parking illegally was walking towards the clubhouse from his car. I pulled in to my spot, hopped out, and couldn't resist the urge to casually ask him, "is it cool if I park here now?" He mumbled something and kept walking. I wasn't proud of my little jab, but I simply couldn't resist.

My "spot" was open parking for the rest of the year, since I knew I wasn't going to come back and play there very often. I made sure to let all the regulars know they could park there anytime they wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

[size=3][background=transparent] [/background][/size][background=transparent][size=3]I don't think I can top any of these stories, but two years ago but I came into the 36th and final hole in the Net division in the lead. All day I have been using the Texas Wedge to perfection. I am 3 yards off the green in a closely mown area and a front pin position I whiff the Texas Wedge. :swoon: I just lost it from there three putting from there and losing by 1 stroke. [/size][/background]

[background=transparent][size=3]I did recover and won it last year.[/size][/background]