How far south of Boston to find an open course?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='rcain1us' timestamp='1426874462' post='11180861']
So I get a check this week from the insurance company for water damage from last month's ice dam.

I am complaining to my wife how tomorrow's tee time in Newport isn't looking too good.

Wife: "Just take the check and go play golf somewhere"

Wow, didn't see that coming.

So I check a few flights.

Me: "I can't justify it, there are no cheap flights. It's Spring Break - It's peak season, it would cost a bundle short notice, it's not worth it......"

Wife: "Oh well, we tried. So can I have it then?"

And we're back
[/quote]That is ****ing priceless. :lol:

Southwest, ~$320 from BOS to Charleston... Tomorrow to Tues. (more expenisve ret Monday). Short drive to Hilton Head.

http://www.weather.com/weather/today/l/USSC0155:1:US (Ugh, Rain Sun/Mon) :lol:

--kC

Callaway Fusion 9* / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, Callaway, 64*, Balls by Snell.

[quote name='rcain1us' timestamp='1426876187' post='11181051']
The way this winter has gone, the minute I booked the flight the temperature of wherever I was going would immediately drop.
[/quote]

Ha! Too funny.

Some of us were talking today, and thinking that even when the snow melts, a lot of courses will be quite "soupy". We were trying to think of courses that drain well.

I'm in SW CT (border of Fairfield and Westchester counties). The munis near me that are aggressive about opening as early as possible aren't predicting until April1. The storm that hit us Friday, while not much by way of accumulation, still covered up a lot of the ice pack and low-lying or shady areas that were in need of today's sunlight to thaw.

For what it's worth, Trump's new Ferry Point course is taking times for it's opening on April 1. The Donald needs to start making money and weather won't stop him!

Ping G410LST 9* - Graphite Design AD-MT 6s
Taylormade Original One Mini Driver 11.5* - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green PVD 70 6.0
Taylormade M5 16.3* - Project X Hzrdus Red HC 75 6.0
PXG 0317x 19* - Project X Hzrdus Smoke 80g 6.0
Ping Rapture DI 18* - Project X Hzdus 85g 8.0
Titleist 712U 5i - Steelfiber 110 stiff
Ping i210 6i-7i - Steelfiber 115fc f4
Ping iBlade 8i-9i - Steelfiber 115fc f4
Titleist Vokey SM7 raw 48* - Accra Spt Wedge 125g
Titleist Vokey SM8 54* - Accra Spt Wedge 125g
Taylormade Hi-Toe 60* - Steelfiber 125cw stiff
Scotty Cameron Newport Button Back - BGT Stability
Srixon Z-Star Yellow (2019)

[quote name='Fellow Competitor' timestamp='1427235414' post='11208239']
Played Newport National sunday morning. Pretty cold and brutally windy but the only game around for 100 miles so why not? Thanks to you folks here for brining it up.
[/quote]There was no way I was going to NN last weekend. I'm not that much of a golf sadist. :lol:

So where is there snow on the course? In the bunkers still?

Callaway Fusion 9* / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, Callaway, 64*, Balls by Snell.

[quote name='rcain1us' timestamp='1427219674' post='11206181']
Brewster is still snow covered, I am heading to Newport to lose a few balls and get my clubs dirty tomorrow afternoon so I can report back on Thursday.

For those who don't like Google.

[attachment=2677785:captains.jpg]
[/quote]

Haha thats the webcam i was going by my homecourse too!

[quote name='rcain1us' timestamp='1427323130' post='11215913']
Newport National today:

[attachment=2679665:20150325_150202.jpg][attachment=2679667:20150325_150154.jpg][attachment=2679669:20150325_144601.jpg][attachment=2679671:20150325_131713.jpg][attachment=2679673:20150325_124309.jpg]
[/quote]How crowded off tomorrow thinking of going headed to Bandon next week need a tuneup

called Newport National just before 5pm - SOLD OUT FOR THE WEEKEND!

Cranberry Valley (on the Cape) rumored to be opening soon

Plymouth courses not close (yet) - but things could change quickly given 5-day forecast

Ping G710 4-PW

PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*-54*-60*

G400 19* PWR 80
G400 14.5* PWR. 75

G400 10.5 PWR 65
Snell MTB

I played with an older gentleman from Amherst (yes, he drove 100+ miles to play) behind a threesome. Teed off at 1:00, only took 1 1/2 hours to play the front. Slowed down on the back. Still got back to the car by 5:00.

Greens are ugly but rolled pretty good.

Fairways weren't bad (surprisingly I hit 10 of them)

Most of the snow was in the bunkers or on the cart path (probably be gone after the rain coming tomorrow).

Other then the bunkers, the majority of the snow was on the cart path and on the sides of the elevated tees (which was a pain in the a** trying to drag my pushcart through).

Playing Wanu on the other side of town Sunday assuming it is warm enough.

Unfortunately next weeks forecast doens't seem like it is going to get out of the 40's which is going to drag out the melt north of 195

[quote name='rcain1us' timestamp='1427458634' post='11226211']
Other then the bunkers, the majority of the snow was on the cart path and on the sides of the elevated tees (which was a pain in the a** trying to drag my pushcart through).

Playing Wanu on the other side of town Sunday assuming it is warm enough.

Unfortunately next weeks forecast doens't seem like it is going to get out of the 40's which is going to drag out the melt north of 195
[/quote]As of this morning, Wanu (If it's Wanu-monotony) is still on temp greens and goose coverings all by the water... 15th?.

--kC

We Played Newport National this morning. 36 degree with freezing rain and good winds. It was very wet and played pretty long. My try to sneak in as single and get 9 or 18 in the afternoon. Snow isn't much of factor near greens but bunkers have good amount still. Next weekend should be prime after much better weather coming

Played Newport national yesterday.

First time there, really enjoyed that type of layout. It's a little different than what I'm used to up near the MA/NH border. Greens were very small, undulated and some were guarded very well, maybe a little to well.

Conditions were cold/wind/periods of cold rain. Played the Golds and that was more than enough length for me. Wet conditions made it play even longer.

Was walking only -FYI, if your a cart only kind of guy

Callaway BB Alpha Hybrid
Callaway Apex Irons 4-PW w/ Recoils
Scratch 50° Wedge
Yururi Gekka Raw 45°,49°,53° w/KBS Tour
TM Rossa
Wedges Custom built by Spargo Golf