2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ping G30 LS Tec Driver

aussiegolferer

I have not found a driver that performs better for me than my G30 LS 10.5° with Tour AD BB 6x tipped 1/2". I have compared numbers on it compared to the stock Tour 65 shafts in stiff and xstiff:

Tour AD DI BB 6x (tipped 1/2") is 45" playing length, D3.5 swing weight, 267 CPM's

Tour 65s is 45.25" playing length, D3 swing weight, 254 CPM's

Tour 65x is 45.25" playing length, D3 swing weight, 279 CPM's.

I've never been a Ping guy, but I tried a G30, G30 SF Tec, and then the G30 LS, and I think the LS version fits me swing the best.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm absolutely amazed at how well the LS TEC performed for me today.

I've been keeping a 12 SLDR Mini driver in my bag since late in the 2014 season simply because I completely trust it.

Today's round, my third with this head, gave me the exact same feeling. I only had one poor drive --- which was totally an awfully bad swing but otherwise all drives were significantly more accurate for me. I had complete trust with my driver --- and that is a fantastic feeling.

The Aldila Phenom NL appears to be the perfect shaft for me with this head. A Phenom NL pairing to say the least.

I sure wish I had bought one of these mid-summer. It's gonna be a long mid-November to mid-April. Lol.

[quote name='ws6' timestamp='1447653962' post='12604318']
What shaft did you play before the Phenom NL? I really like the feel of Whiteboards and the TS 7.3 shafts, and I imagine the Phenom NL would be good for me to.
[/quote]

[quote name='ws6' timestamp='1447653962' post='12604318']
What shaft did you play before the Phenom NL? I really like the feel of Whiteboards and the TS 7.3 shafts, and I imagine the Phenom NL would be good for me to.
[/quote]

The NL was in my R1 in '13, a 460 SLDR IN '14 and then this past summer I went to a Motore Speeder 7.3 TS in a 430 SLDR after a few rounds of using the NL in it.

The interesting part for me is that I had to tip the NL a tiny bit due to my inability to pull the shaft correctly from the TM tip. I was fitted for the NL in '13 and it was not tipped (as per manufacturer specs).

But the approximately 3/8" or so I inadvertently tipped it could very well possibly be the reason I'm now preferring it. I'd suspect that it's a combination of that, plus how much weight I added to the LS head.

I had put the Speeder 7.3 TS in the LS TEC and it's good but the NL in it is fantastic IMO.

Who knows what will happen next spring though. Lol.

Fwiw, I have a driver swing speed of 100 mph (+/- a couple), a relatively short backswing with a strong transition at the top.

First round in the book. Had one bad drive all day straight pull dead left bomb. Hit some huge drives with this club , definitely going to yarn the s*** outta this thing as the sound is atrocious but performance was outstanding miss was a baby fade!

Ping G30 LS 9* tour 65X
Ping Rapture D.I. 18
Ping G25 3-PW CFS X
Ping Glide (50,54,58) CFS Wedge
Ping Anser TR 5

I have tried the G30 LS tec multiple times now, with multiple shafts. It is a fantastic driver, but for some reason it's not the best fit for me. I was very close to buying one with the Tour 65 shaft with a store credit I had. Actually had one in hand, but changed my mind at the last minute. What I did instead was ordered a custom i25 9.5 with a Tour 80 stiff shaft. I've had it out twice now and it is awesome. I absolutely love the set-up with the Tour 80.

[quote name='Jojodimaggio' timestamp='1448258564' post='12633910']It's loud but consistent. I've always had high spin numbers 28-3300 with titleist 913 but with this ping and fuel ts 70x I'm getting avg2200 ball speed 160 avg. I just purchased an M1 and will be selling it this week. Can't beat the g30.

Any other shafts that pair well with the LS head?[/quote]

Rip Phenom
Phenom NL
Any low spin shaft that's what seems to be echoed through this discussion

The 65 tour x is awesome too really like the shaft . First time I bought a driver and not bring out a tour van to find the combo of head shaft (sounds terrible) that I liked. As always ping makes fantastic products Ping golfer for life

Ping G30 LS 9* tour 65X
Ping Rapture D.I. 18
Ping G25 3-PW CFS X
Ping Glide (50,54,58) CFS Wedge
Ping Anser TR 5

I just got a used G30 SF Tec 10*... Love it!!! It is replacing my Amp Cell Offset 11.5 which was the best driver I ever hit as a begineer. Now as a 11 hcp I ballon the Cobra. I tried several drivers... nothing worked until the G30 SF Tec 10* set in neutral. Funny thing is I hit the G30 last spring and it did nothing for me, for some reason now It does. Better swing with lessons I guess.

Sound of both drivers don't bother me... but I heard yarn stuffed in the head would dampen the sound. Think I'm gonna stuff the G30 with yarn, tie a knot and use double sided tape just in case I want to pull it out. Also, the head feels lighter than the Cobra.

Really getting into a groove with this thing. At first I was pushing everything to the right when my natural ballflight is a draw. I was losing distance and fluttering the ball out. Well, I figured out I wasn't moving my hips fast enough through the ball and I was hanging back. I fixed that swing flaw. I'm hitting straight, high bombs. I can't hit hit huge draws and I know my miss is just a little push. And when I do want to hit a cut, it's a nice boring cut and I've never double-crossed it either. I would say this club reduced my spin 500 RPMs over my previous G25 and I got 10 yards total distance over it too. Average drive 270-275 with my G25 and 280-285 with my G30 LST. 111 mph SS, 12.5* launch, great feel after it was hotmelted.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Last two rounds with the LST have been solid driving rounds for me. These two come after shortening the driver a 1/2" and it has made a world of difference. I really loved my 915D3 but the LST is longer for me by about 10 yards, must just be a better fit. Still trying to turn it over into a draw but for now, straight, or light fades will work. I will be honest, I did not think this driver would stick, but I am happy with just about everything about it.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

[quote name='Nixhex524' timestamp='1448665679' post='12653632']Last two rounds with the LST have been solid driving rounds for me. These two come after shortening the driver a 1/2" and it has made a world of difference. I really loved my 915D3 but the LST is longer for me by about 10 yards, must just be a better fit. Still trying to turn it over into a draw but for now, straight, or light fades will work. I will be honest, I did not think this driver would stick, but I am happy with just about everything about it.[/quote]

What length are you at now?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

[quote name='Holy Moses' timestamp='1448669097' post='12653822']
[quote name='Nixhex524' timestamp='1448665679' post='12653632']Last two rounds with the LST have been solid driving rounds for me. These two come after shortening the driver a 1/2" and it has made a world of difference. I really loved my 915D3 but the LST is longer for me by about 10 yards, must just be a better fit. Still trying to turn it over into a draw but for now, straight, or light fades will work. I will be honest, I did not think this driver would stick, but I am happy with just about everything about it.[/quote]

What length are you at now?
[/quote]

Right around 44 1/2-3/4" on the Tour 65s. I am coming to grips with the fact that I am losing distance as I get older but the LST has helped me pick a few back up for sure now that I am finding the center of the face more consistently.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I've been toying around with my LS for a while now with different shafts to get my ball flight, I have a very low attack angle so I've tried a lot of different shafts including a White tie 60x and a diamana read board 63x as well. Booth known for having a higher ball flight shafts, but both couldn't perform distance wise! Granted my swing speed is between 110-115 I settled a month ago on a Speeder 661 tour spec stiff and it's great! Launch angle is up in the 11s and spin rate is down to the 3000! I love this driver and it will be in the bag for a long long time!

[quote name='ascdga' timestamp='1449076960' post='12671848']
Do the aftermarket weights include the weight of the screw? Meaning if it is an 8g weight, is that total with the screw or just the weight itself?
[/quote]

No. Bolt is ~ 1 - 1.5gr

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1449094671' post='12673006']
[quote name='psapitch13' timestamp='1449092149' post='12672860']
I tried the LS and found it to be well short of the Reg G30 for my swing. No idea why...
[/quote]
Probably because it is lower spin.
[/quote]

Pardon my ignorance, but why would less spin result in a shorter distance? I've not heard that before, feel free PM me or whatever, don't want to thread crap.

[quote name='psapitch13' timestamp='1449774447' post='12703948']
I tried the LS and found it to be well short of the Reg G30 for my swing. No idea why...
[/quote]
[/quote]

Pardon my ignorance, but why would less spin result in a shorter distance? I've not heard that before, feel free PM me or whatever, don't want to thread crap.
[/quote]

If you aren't producing tons of spin to begin with, the regular G30 is probably giving you close to an optimal amount of spin for your swing already.

Once you switch to the LS, the spin goes down and the ball doesn't carry as far, resulting in less distance.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]what you want in a driver is optimal carry distance where the ball still rolls forward when it lands. If it spins too much, the ball will upshoot and carry less, and won't roll far. Whereas, not enough spin and the the ball will not carry enough, it will roll, but it will fall like a dying bird. The ball needs spin to carry, but not too much or too little.

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

depending on your swing speed and angle of attack, not enough swing speed on a low spin driver will send out a knuckle ball that does not have enough spin to keep it in the air. there is an optimal spin rate for everyone and thus different spin rate drivers. Perhaps a shallow angle of attack also but probably a swing speed issue with the low spin. There is a reason golf balls have dimples, to create spin which in turn creates lift. The key is to optimize spin via shaft and head to get max carry with max roll.

• 3 weeks later...

Best driver I've had in years. Probably since the orininal PING Rapture. I had the LSTec, sold it to try some others, then got it back and sold all the others. I just tested it at the range against the D4 and there was no contest. The PING carried a bit further but it was the roll out that was significantly better.

I just replaced my tour 65 shafts (S and X) with an Aldila rogue 60 S. I really like the feel of it and dispersion on my simulator seems more controlled so far. Wanted a 70 S shaft but found a deal I couldn't pass up (I would trade it for a 70 S still though if anyone offered :)).

[s]If anyone's looking for a tour 65 pm me. I will probably list them next week if I dont sell locally.[/s]

Edit-Shafts now listed in the Classifieds forum.

• 4 months later...

Looking for some help here with my G30 LS Tec 9* driver. A few months back, my local shop put their G30 demo clubs up for sale in the used rack. I picked up the demo G30 LS Tec with the stock Tour 65 stiff shaft and have been hitting it well for a couple months. Earlier this week, I went into my shop and a guy had traded in a G30 LS Tec with a limited edition Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Tour Stiff 125 msi shaft. It's the etched Made in USA version with the Aldila R&D Lab stamping. The shop owner let me swap out the Tour 65 shaft for the Rouge and I've been playing it for the last week or so.

With the Rogue, the playing length of my G30 LST is 44.75" and I've noticed the swingweight is really light. I had the SW measured and it came out to C4!! Crazy light! I then measured my head only on a digital scale and it came out to 192g. I checked the specs on PING's website, and stock length is 45.75" and the Head Weight should be 206g. I know the 1" shorter length shaft will drop overall SW, but a 14g lighter head seems like a lot.

Does anyone know why the head could be that much lighter than standard?