Panama City Beach

mrh64

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windswept is in fine shape, just be sure you allow for the sea level air when selecting a tee to play from.

I think Holiday recently re-grassed their greens, so they will likely be quite firm.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Your or your pro should make some calls and try to get on Camp Creek and Shark's Tooth, both outstanding

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

[quote name='mrh64' timestamp='1427295007' post='11212473']
Will be there first week in August. We usually play Hombre and Bay Point Nicklaus, and last year played Windswept Dunes. Looking to mix it up this year. Anyone have opinions on Signal Hill or Holiday? Thanks
[/quote]Holiday put in new greens last summer and they were in excellent condition in late fall and going into the winter. They will probably be better heading into the spring/summer, probably a little softer. I used to only play Hombre, but I really like Holiday after the new greens were put in place.

[quote name='mrh64' timestamp='1427313253' post='11214855']
We usually play twice, so if CC works out we'll need something a little less expensive for our second round, hence the interest in Holiday or Signal Hill.
[/quote]Go with Holiday !!!!

[quote name='mrh64' timestamp='1427313089' post='11214841']
We liked Windswept a lot, might play it again this year. Agree with bcfly about tee choice. We hope to find a way onto Camp Creek, we'll see what happens.
[/quote]Camp Creek is an excellent golf course. Several years ago, anyone could play it for around $75, but they went total private and it's a ghost town out there, especially in the summer.

[quote name='crazy8golfer' timestamp='1427329011' post='11216505']
Will be there first week in August. We usually play Hombre and Bay Point Nicklaus, and last year played Windswept Dunes. Looking to mix it up this year. Anyone have opinions on Signal Hill or Holiday? Thanks
[/quote]Holiday put in new greens last summer and they were in excellent condition in late fall and going into the winter. They will probably be better heading into the spring/summer, probably a little softer. I used to only play Hombre, but I really like Holiday after the new greens were put in place.

We usually play twice, so if CC works out we'll need something a little less expensive for our second round, hence the interest in Holiday or Signal Hill.
[/quote]How does Holiday compare to Bay Point Meadows?

[quote name='mrh64' timestamp='1427333110' post='11217035']
[quote name='crazy8golfer' timestamp='1427329011' post='11216505']

[/quote]How does Holiday compare to Bay Point Meadows?
[/quote]I have never played the Meadows, but I will guarantee you the greens at Holiday are probably the best around.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='crazy8golfer' timestamp='1435277617' post='11835902']
Play either Bay Point Nicklaus or Holiday Golf Club.
[/quote]
That's what I am thinking based on reading around. If you were to choose one over the other which would you do. What will be in better shape in mid-July? Better routing of holes? Reviews seem like Holidays greens great and Nicklaus layout better.

[quote name='basketballthreeball' timestamp='1435363480' post='11841930']
[quote name='crazy8golfer' timestamp='1435277617' post='11835902']
Play either Bay Point Nicklaus or Holiday Golf Club.
[/quote]
That's what I am thinking based on reading around. If you were to choose one over the other which would you do. What will be in better shape in mid-July? Better routing of holes? Reviews seem like Holidays greens great and Nicklaus layout better.
[/quote]Back in May, Holiday's green were better. Not a lot better, but better. I like both layouts, Holiday is a tighter course. I don't think you will go wrong with either, just check the prices to make your decision. I would suggest playing as early as possible in mid-July, it will be hot and humid !!

DON'T PLAY HOMBRE... Why? I just played it a week and a half ago. Their greens are as crusty as Chambers Bay and have more dead spots. Their super quit and they're trying to get them back playable and The Ugly is closed until at least August because they're redoing those greens entirely. I love that course and this year I paid $55 to play it, I'd have rather played Signal Hill twice for that coin, it was THAT bad. Sad thing is, I called and asked about the course's shape before going and they said we've got 5 greens that are bad... No, 17 are bad and the remaining one is a temporary.

If, and it's a big IF, you can get on Shark's Tooth, that's where I'd go, personally.

If you're looking for a cheap option, Signal Hill is where I'd go. They don't take tee times until 7:00 but the course opens at 6:00 for walk-ons. I've been first out several times and played in an hour and a half as a single. It's a shorter course with 4 drivable par 4's if you know the layout, but it's fun and the greens are always about the same shape. They're not terribly fast, but they're not shag carpet either.

[/quote]

My golf group just got back from our annual trip yesterday to that area. We did not play the Hombre, but it is supposedly in horrible shape with 8 temporary greens. We played Windswept a few years ago, and it was a lot of fun. We played Holiday yesterday. The greens are newly redone - very firm and fast but rolled smoothly. Good course. We play Signal Hill every year the first day, and it is ok, but very short (5900 from the tips). We are probably going to take it out of the rotation next year. We played Baypoint Nicklaus last Friday, and it was challenging with fast greens (buy a yardage book because trouble lurks that you cannot see). We Played Baypoint Meadows on Saturday, the cart guy gave us all a "bounce back" coupon, so the round was only $25 each since we played the other course the day before. Meadows is tight, and the greens are considerably slower than Nicklaus, and you need to club down on every hole because the grass in the aprons is like glue. The Destin courses such as Regatta Bay, Kelly Plantation, The Raven, etc. are all gorgeous and challenging in their own ways. Kelly has super fast greens, Regatta is target golf, and The Raven is just hard. Shark's Tooth and Camp Creek are private, and we have not been able to get on there. Blackstone in Defuniak Springs is our yearly practice round on the way down. It is inexpensive and a lot of fun.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from PCB last week. I played Windswept Dunes twice that week. The course was in awesome shape. It's only 30 minutes from PCB. IMO, it's the best course in the area and cheaper than them too.

Cobra F6 w/ Whiteboard
XR16 5 wood
TaylorMade Jetspeed 3, 4, 5 hybrid
Steelhead XR 6-PW
Ping Glide 50* and 55*
Mack Daddy3 58*
Scotty Cameron Monterey

• 1 month later...

Have any of you fine folks familiar with the PC area taken lessons or worked extensively with any of the Pros down that way? I am relocating to that part of the world and trying to scout out where I will do most of my work. I have been playing for about three years, but in a northern tier state where I can only play for 5 months out of the year, so getting settled into a place where year round golf is possible is very exciting.

Thanks ahead of time!

• 8 months later...

Camp Creek is my favorite in the area. Played Holiday last year and their greens are excellent.

Has anyone had success in having their pro call camp creek and getting on?

Wondering the same thing.

Just put in a request to our club pro to see what he could do.

Apparently the staff at Camp Creek is very cool.

I'm thinking its possible but its probably gonna be a $200 round

Usually around $100-125

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Camp Creek is a must if you can hit it, then I'd say The Raven & Burnt Pines at Sandestin (played all three and they're great). If you can con your way onto Shark's Tooth that'd be a helluva foursome.

I've heard some good things about Kelly Plantation, but didn't play it myself. The Nicklaus Course at Bay Point is a nice track too.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

Cotton, I'm glad you were able to play Camp Creek, it's a wonderful track!

I'm partial to Kelly, that's where I work, but we love the guys over there at Camp and they are very good at what they do.

I just wanted to say thank you to all the posters in this thread. It is very nice to see such good reviews about the golf in my area.

And to PapaMike, I'd be happy to give you lessons, if you like, or I can recommend other instructors in the local area. PM me if you are interested.

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Just played Hombre today as a birthday gift from my kids. Don't waste you money ! The ugly 9 is closed until August/September, the bad 9 greens were redone last year and are in bad shape. A lot of bare spots and a lot of areas where they have just put big patches of sod down on the greens. The good 9 has always been terrible and remains that way. I cannot believe they charged my daughter $60 for me to play this dump. They want to continue to advertise that the bad and ugly nines used to hold the PGA Q School and it did about 5 to 6 years ago, but a high school event should not be held on the course now.

Played Camp Creek yesterday. Awesome course. Great layout, conditions were perfect.

Ended up being $208. Tee time was at 11:30am

I was sportin a pretty good hangover so that wasn't ideal.

It's worth it though.

Camp Creek is a very nice golf course, but not worth $200. 3 to 4 years back, you could play it for $75 and nothing has changed in my opinion, just owned by St.Joe and they don't care if it gets played or not.

Played Camp Creek yesterday. Awesome course. Great layout, conditions were perfect.

Ended up being $208. Tee time was at 11:30am

I was sportin a pretty good hangover so that wasn't ideal.

It's worth it though.

Camp Creek is a very nice golf course, but not worth $200. 3 to 4 years back, you could play it for $75 and nothing has changed in my opinion, just owned by St.Joe and they don't care if it gets played or not.

Ya $200 is high for sure. I'd say its "worth" is relative to the individuals situation.

And its probably seasonal to some degree.

I played Memorial Day weekend so im sure thats at the peak.

I'll be in PCB next week. I'm hoping I will get a day to sneak away and play a round of golf. Looks like Signal Hill is the closest course for me. Don't really care where I play as long as I get to go.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

I have been in the Panama City Beach area for the last 10 days and have played Holiday, Bat Point Nicklaus, Hombre and Windswept Dunes. Windswept Dunes is by far the best conditioned course of these four. The entire course is in excellent condition, it's a little off the beaten path, but well worth the 20 minute drive. Stay away from Hombre !