Atlanta Georgia Private Clubs

I think a lot of great information has been shared in this thread, if you're unhappy with what we have returned I'd ask for you to provide more focused information. Things like general geographic information of where you live/work and how long a drive to the club would be acceptable as well as what features of the club are most important to you and what features would be nice but not required would aid us in giving you a more narrowed down list.

For most people, the initiation fee and monthly cost are the two biggest deciding factors, so many of the suggestions to you have been centered around providing you club suggestions based upon your $25k/$500 cap. Which has limited many of the features you would like and the quality of the feedback.

OP, the answers you've received are for you and others that may also be seeking similar information. Others may find the info shared in this thread very helpful, while others (like yourself) may be frustrated that people from Atlanta, that KNOW Atlanta, are telling you what you don't want to hear. Sorry if you're frustrated but as someone else said, if you're looking for the kind of exclusivity that very few experience, you should've asked your old club to set that up for you.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

I am not frustrated to the least. I am grateful for the replies. Thank you for submitting the info from the 2008 post 25k to 50k, 50k to 80k, etc. That is exactly what I was looking for. I was just hoping someone could have redefined a similiar list noting the modifications; Which ones should be deleted because of clubcorp buyouts etc? I did not ask about slope and rating in my post. That's why I tried to reign in the thread. I would advise the creation of a few more threads: the most challenging courses in ATL and/or another for the best Cannongate , clubcorp and best privately owned club. Maybe that would help keeping the thread on task. If my original requirements cannot be met at $25k initiation. What will I have to pay to have these needs met? 60K? So be it, let's start a list for the minimum that all requirements will be met. I mentioned in the original post "within" an hours drive of the city... I didn't ask for rush hour time etc. just the basic "map quest" hour drive time. I thought that was specific enough. I didn't think you needed my street address to offer relevant feedback.

Not scratch

You are probably not going to see a whole lot of members of the clubs with what you are looking for on Golfwrx. You are looking at the clubs where if you have to ask how much, you cannot afford it. If you still have contact with the management of your old club, I would recommend you call them to ask for help. They would probably be able to research, tell you what clubs most closely fit what you are looking for, and which you possibly have an opportunity to join. Also they might be able to get you an introduction to visit the club and meet the membership. That is probably the only way you will get a chance to join the level of the club you are looking for.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Thank you all. Looks like I am going to have to drop 60K for what I am looking for. Based on all of your feedback it looks like the field is limited to Ansley, Druid Hills, and Atlanta Athletic Club. All are within an hours drive of the city. I guess You get what you pay for. Looks like the numbers start at 60k for "a club".

Thanks,

Not scratch

Ansley has an executive option where you can join for three years and in effect pay a little more than double dues and then after three years you can either then pay the initiation fee to join or leave. Half of the extra annual you pay gets credited to the initiation fee. I may be a little off on the #s, but its something like that. It is intended for people who think they may have to move in a few years b/c they are in Atlanta on a temporary assignment. If cost is less of a concern, many people in Atlanta have 2nd homes that are in golf course communities or private clubs (e.g., Cashiers, NC, Reynolds Plantation). There main golf club may not be in the city. This may create another tangent for you. Welcome to Atlanta.

Mapquest drive time will vary greatly depending on when you route your trip. I think folks here are trying to give you a hint that if your "club" is 25 miles away it may take 25 minutes, an hour, or up to 4 hours to drive there depending on the time and day. Not to mention an hour from downtown is a lot different than an hour from "town" on the northside. I would say it takes at least a year to figure out how bad the traffic is in the ATL and it always at its worst when you "have to get somewhere." Good luck and I hope you found the information you were seeking.

[quote name='Notscratch' timestamp='1428948956' post='11349287']
Thank you all. Looks like I am going to have to drop 60K for what I am looking for. Based on all of your feedback it looks like the field is limited to Ansley, Druid Hills, and Atlanta Athletic Club. All are within an hours drive of the city. I guess You get what you pay for. Looks like the numbers start at 60k for "a club".

Thanks,

Not scratch
[/quote]

Depending on your age, some of the area Atlanta clubs were offering "junior" memberships. No difference in club privledges just lower initiation fee and quarterly dues. It was an effort to get some younger members at some of the clubs. That's how I joined my clubs.

As a person who grew up in Atlanta, I found the information on this thread interesting and informative. While there may have been some information provided that you weren't asking for, it is helpful to have this information so you get a feel for all the issues you will face. Life is about compromises. Living in Atlanta is about compromises. Great city, but horrible traffic that will affect your life on a daily basis. Ideally, you really want to live close to a club so you can enjoy it appropriately. An hour drive each way isn't going to be a viable long term solution. Good luck, hope it works out. I am coming down in June with a friend to visit our families (we both grew up there, but both live elsewhere now), and going to play East Lake, Settingdown, and TBA while there. TBA will either be: PGC, AAC, or Cherokee; not sure yet. Looking forward to playing all these courses being talked about on this thread.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Notscratch' timestamp='1428720019' post='11331797']
Thank you all for the replies. I think the thread is losing its way. One of my main requirements is "a true private club". No Cannongate. No Clubcorp. No sole proprietor clubs. I am looking for a true private club.

Thanks,
Notscatch
[/quote]

Well the thread probably lost its way a bit because people don't usually specify a 25k limit, then change their mind and go up to 50-60k in the same way that if someone asked me what car they should get, I wouldn't tell them something that was at least double their original max price in order to accommodate features they wanted.

Since you at least implied that you're willing to shell out for the three you mentioned, here's some general info to get you started. And FYI, I've actively inquired about membership at both PDC, Druid Hills, and AAC because I'm looking to join a top tier club sometime in the next few years. Also, I'm under 30, so I didn't really ask about what the full initiation fee would be because it's not relevant to my decision.

[i]Piedmont Driving Club[/i]: initiation fee is 35k for junior membership (below 30), think it goes up to 75k for full membership. The course is ok--well maintained but kinda boring from the tips IMO. Also, I think the membership is completely stuck up its own a**. Thought everyone was pretentious as hell, seems like the entire membership is comprised of a few dozen families. Every old members stared me down like who the hell are you--not welcoming. They have a really restrictive guest policy on Sundays (no guests before 2 or 3).

The other downside is that it'll be a MINIMUM of 1.5 years before you join. You need 20 reccs from members, which is just stupid, and there's a mandatory minimum of a one-year holding period. It gets strung out because legacies get preference, so the 19th member of the Jones family is getting his membership before you.

[i]Atlanta Athletic Club[/i]: Surprisingly reasonable, 35k initiation for junior memberships. The practice facility is the best I've ever seen, and the courses have a lot of replay value. I love the sheer amount of golf available; makes it easy to score a tee time when you want it. My sense is that they either don't have a wait list or don't have a very long one because it seemed like you could turn an app into a membership fairly quickly.

The downside is that it would be a hellish commute for you. Going out to John's Creek from downtown or midtown is arduous enough. Going from south Atlanta to John's Creek sounds like the most deplorable thing in the world. Also, the fairways are zoysia and some people don't like that. I have a very fast and somewhat steep swing but I could barely take divots from the fairways. It feels markedly different from bent or bermuda.

[i]Ansley[/i]: never played it, no comment.

[i]Druid Hills[/i]: I think it's a little tricked out--some goofy holes. Well maintained and a friendly membership. The popcorn machine in the men's grill is the truth. Decent range, though long hitters can run out of room. Short game area is adequate. Initiation is 35k for juniors, and dues are about $550 a month. One note, a good chunk of the dues is paying off some land acquisition or something, so the dues price should go down a good $150 or $200 a month when that obligation is paid off. That's supposed to occur in the next year or two.

Also, IMO Druid Hills doesn't have the same draw as the truly top tier Atlanta courses. I think you'd have better value by getting something closer to where you live, even if it's not quite up to Druid Hills. I imagine there are courses that represent better value propositions than Druid Hills in the area around you.

I live less than 2 miles from Druid Hills and still wouldn't join there. I'd rather drive up to ACC or AAC (25ish miles) because those clubs are similarly priced and offer more interesting, challenging tracks. I wouldn't say Druid Hills is a bad course--just that it's not exceptional enough for me to justify dropping that much dough on the equivalent of the better Canongate/Clubcorp courses.

Judging by your original post, I'd recommend PDC. Seems like you'd fit in well there.

I have played and have friends at all the major clubs/courses around Atlanta. I find most of the above postings fairly accurate. W[size=4]hat you want doesn't exist on the south side of town......except perhaps for PDC. Once they find out you reside south of I-20, however, you will not get in. You might as well tell them that your parents were on HeeHaw, and that you met your wife on Springer. [/size]

If you join one of the clubs that has what you want, you will either kill yourself from the commute or move.

At this point, your best strategy is to live in Atlanta for a while, try to get a better feel for the clubs. Except for Peachtree and PDC, you can get in with one or two references and a big check to just about anywhere. Join the one you like, shoot the realtor that put you southside, then move

[quote name='Mcaesq' timestamp='1430505416' post='11480865']
[i]Piedmont Driving Club[/i]: initiation fee is 35k for junior membership (below 30), think it goes up to 75k for full membership. The course is ok--well maintained but kinda boring from the tips IMO. Also, I think the membership is completely stuck up its own a**. Thought everyone was pretentious as hell, seems like the entire membership is comprised of a few dozen families. Every old members stared me down like who the hell are you--not welcoming. They have a really restrictive guest policy on Sundays (no guests before 2 or 3).

Judging by your original post, I'd recommend PDC. Seems like you'd fit in well there.
[/quote]

Post of the month here. Excellent!

Here is some input from a 15+ year, recently departed former ATL resident.

1. OP, why do you live on the south side? If you work there, fine, you are stuck there, and you're not going to have convenient access to any club that has what you are looking for because of simple geography + traffic. Period. If you don't work on the south side, I have to question how you made such a massive error on an investment that dwarfs even the highest end CC in Atlanta. Oops. If golf proximity is a priority, and it sounds like it is, you are going to need to move.

2. Mapquest? Does that still exist?

3. PDC: I've played it, and the above comments are spot on. The course is okay -- it's fine, but it's not a course that I'd be thrilled to play every week. Rivermont is better, GC of GA is much better, AAC is much better, ACC is better. PDC is a highly social club and there is a lot going on besides golf up at the Midtown location. The trouble is that I found the atmosphere (other than my host) less than welcoming, let's just leave it at that.

4. Rivermont: May be my favorite course for GOLF and only golf in the metro area. It's a great layout, but lacks the whole practice facility, pool, clubhouse, tennis, country club experience.

5. Peachtree: I know several more people who have played Augusta National than I know who have played Peachtree.

6. AAC: Fantastic all around, 36 holes of golf and an incredible practice facility. It might as well be on Mars if you live on the south side of Atlanta, as there is simply NOT a direct way to drive there.

7. CC of Roswell: The golf course is short and not terribly exciting, but the conditioning was good as I recall and the club has all of the typical country club amenities, great family programs, and friendly members. I think it is a bit over priced for what it is in terms of golf, but if you have kids, this is a fine option indeed.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Interesting topic, have lived in Atlanta for almost 20 years and already knew pretty much everything in this thread but it is convenient to have it all in one place. To the OP, I can't stress enough that being "an hour away" on mapquest is basically meaningless when you're talking about crossing the city.

If you live south of I-20 but still inside the Perimeter, Druid Hills would probably be your best bet, it has everything you want except maybe the caddie program. If you live outside the perimeter, even Druid Hills would be a stretch in my opinion. It is a shame but the kind of club you describe are basically all on the north side of town.

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

[quote name='Zjurich' timestamp='1427830935' post='11254935']
Pinetree country club is going to be south of what you're wanting to pay, there's no caddies but it's a great golf course with CHEAP iniation fees.
[/quote]

This is true, and there are some very solid players at Pinetree! Same with Berkeley Hills -- not an "elite" feel, but an elite course and greens for sure. Pity they sold that third nine over there.

Again, to do the "Southside Steve" thing and belong to either of these clubs is going to mean missing out on a LOT that the clubs have to offer.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I grew up playing Ansley (apologies if any of this info is out of date). Definitely a solid little 9 hole track considering its location, but it's not somewhere a serious player would want to call home. The range plays across the 2nd fairway with yellow balls, you ring a bell and the range stops hitting. Can't hit any woods. Short course, narrow, the scorecard might make it look like a normal length layout but it doesn't feel like it when you play. They've doubled up some tees and greens so you can play it twice and get some different looks to simulate a real 18 holes of golf, but it gets old pretty quick.

Settindown, however, is a different story. That's a great track, hosted multiple events when I lived in Atlanta and was very well regarded. Tough, long, has plenty of space, and the original members were just pure golf enthusiasts.

It's a great setup to live in Ansley, hit up the little course for post-work weekdays, then trek down to Settindown on weekends or for more legit rounds. For someone living south of the area, I don't think it'd be ideal.

I grew up playing Raleigh Country Club the last course Donald Ross designed, it was a Private club and there were a few pretentious folks but for the most part the membership there was great. There was no caddie programs but the club was run by the members. There was no caddie program, but being a Donald Ross course if you couldn't walk it yourself you had bigger issues. I understand what the OP is wanting, I have lived in Atlanta for 4 years now and through connections in the Golf Industry and from when I played college golf I have played about every private course in the town.

Yes I even played Peachtree, in a two man best ball tournament, but I played it.

On the South Side there is no equivalent of what I grew up with, let alone one with caddies that the OP can get into.

PDC - The conditions were amazing. The people we met were the worst sort of people with money. My host was a great guy and he even commented before we went out about how bad it is there. Plus like another poster said, if your house is south of I-20, no matter who you are they are not going to let you join. That is how bad the folks there are.

Next closest would be Eagle's Landing - I will be honest when I went to play I was not expecting much because I have played tons of Club Corp facilities across the US and they are generally horrible. This still had the same feel as the club I grew up on. The Manor and Atlanta National (Both Club corp now) are the same way.

Being south of I-20 there are few courses you will reach that meet your requirements. NONE on the north side of town can you reach in under an hour(unless you are playing night golf), Based on my guesstimation of where you live, you are looking at being over an hour to the north clubs 9 out of 10 times you go. The ones you can reach in under an hour are either....

A> You cannot get in, pretty much no one can get in(Peachtree).
B> Druid HIlls (probably make it in under an hour except during the week)
C> East Lake - Mainly corporate memberships there these days and not the feel you are looking for.
D> Capital City Club - This is one I have never played, so I am not sure about the caddies or fees.

If the hour is not an issue or you are planning on renting there are many courses up north that fit your bill. Some have caddies, some do not. Most will require you to start working towards joinng the club now with recommendations from at least two existing members and could take up to 18 months to finalize.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

[quote name='heiman5' timestamp='1427657917' post='11240611']
Beyond the financial hurdle - is it even possible to join Peachtree or Piedmont without prior contacts there? Will they help you meet members etc? Are the waiting lists crazy?
[/quote][quote name='Mob' timestamp='1427665236' post='11241133']
[quote name='CC Dreamer' timestamp='1427658025' post='11240621']
I'm not sure about Piedmont, but I would say there is no chance at Peachtree.
[/quote]

You can network over time, and likely meet enough Piedmont members for it to be a possibility, but that takes years. No chance of ever becoming a member at Peachtree.
[/quote] +1. Even a chance to play there will be incredible.

[quote name='golfheaven69' timestamp='1430963897' post='11514087']
With all the options Club Corp provides in Atlanta seems like a good idea to check out a club nearby and enjoy the options.
[/quote]+1. I don't know where OP get the idea that no interests in Clubcorp. If you really spend time to check the new membership clubcorp provide in Atlanta area ( called O.N.E. ), how can you refuse the deal with over 20 private golf courses ( and a lot of other so so courses ), 50% discount on all meals and a lot of travel benefits. Plus, their initial fee should around 10K I guess. Due is $350 monthly. You then spend basically 19-25 bucks to play all their private clubs.
Atlanta and Houston have the best benefit and advantage for Clubcorp members among this organization.
Yes. I am enjoying these very much now.

[quote name='driveandputtmachine' timestamp='1431436876' post='11544206']
C> East Lake - Mainly corporate memberships there these days and not the feel you are looking for.

[/quote]

East Lake doesn't do individual memberships anymore. Sure, you could form the EastLake Membership LLC and join, but I'm pretty sure the corp membership is ridiculously expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting enjoyment out of a club membership has far more to do with the people who constitute the club than the course, the clubhouse, or anything else. Affordability is vital, but in the end, if the club is filled with people you don't want to be around, it's useless.

My opinion reflects the fact that over the years, I have played practically all the top courses in Atlanta; I'm still waiting on the invite to Augusta, but I've hit Peachtree, AAC, East Lake, GClub of GA, Atlanta National, Frog, Hawk's Ridge, Cateechee, Sea Island, Chateau Elan, ACC...(not bragging; I'm old and play a lot of golf.)

I've also played extensively around the country and throughout Europe. And, where do I proudly call home? Peachtree City. Hands down, the best golf community I've ever found. Good courses, good conditioning overall, improving clubhouses (thanks ClubCorp) but most importantly, friendly people motivated to play golf...a lot of golf.

There are four courses, all connected by golf cart paths, and all within 10 minutes of each other by car. Each course has its quirks, but as a package, nowhere is more fun. And I dare say that Planterra Ridge is the most visually beautiful course in all of Atlanta.

And PTC is a great community; great schools, beautiful homes, and it's not in Atlanta.

Come visit. While many think 'southside' is a vulgar word, and many who live in PTC want to keep it that way, pay a visit. You'll be stunned.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I am curious where the OP joined???

With the economy rebound, most all of the in-town private clubs have raised their initiations and the wait lists are getting LONG.

Titleist TSR2 - 8* Ventus Red TR 6X
Titleist TSi2 - 15* - Ventus Red TR 7X
Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid
Titleist U500 - 4 iron DG TI X-100
Titleist T100 5-9 DG TI X-100
Titleist Vokey SM9 (46*, 52*, 56*, 60*) raw 
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

Thank you all. Based upon all your feedback.

I think I may be most interested in this category. Do these four clubs fit all the specs from my original post?

Ansley -Established 1912 - Established 1912- I like it because it fills the categories of older, traditional, pool. Does it have a caddy program? My only concern is: Only a nine hole course? Question to those who have played or belong. Loop it twice. Boring? Beautiful 9 holes...But... how tough to grab a tee time? Swing by the club for a quick nine. Impossible or get right out?

Druid Hills- 18 Holes- Established 1912- I like it because it fills the categories of older, traditional, pool. Does it have a caddy program?

Dunwoody - Established 1969- I dont know much about it.

River Club - Subdivison Club? Even though Million dollar homes... Still a Subdivision?

Subdivision clubs scare me. Golf courses require a lot of money. It seems to me that "Community developers" tend to build courses only to sell later..when the going and costs get tough. I don't want to pay a high initiation fee now; only for it to be $500 or less later to join. ie: CCorp CGate.

Does anyone know the exact current inition cost? For each of the four. Anyone play.. the courses above?

Thanks

Not Scratch

Ansley has the 9 hole in town club and the 18 hole Settindown course on the north side of town. The club has over 900 golf members.

Druid Hills is a nice club but the renovation of the course took away most of the older charm. now it just feels like modern course.

Dunwoody maybe the most underrated club in town.

Unrelated to topic at hand, but @Hollabachgt, what is the logo of your avatar? Some kind of Georgia golf association? Where can I find a hat with that logo?