Bridgestone B330-S. Any good?

MMB1500

Looking for some feedback from users of the B330-S. My ball of choice is the Z-Star and I also dabble with the ProV1x, which I like, though its durability is horrible. I'm thinking of trying out a Bridgestone ball this season and would like to get some input from people currently using this ball. How does it compare to other premium balls in terms of overall performance, in particular the two mentioned?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have played it the last 3 years or so. Great ball. Spins enough but not too much with the longer clubs, spins really good with short shorts and actually really good in the wind. Played it in Scotland winds and no problem. I am giving the new 2015 Pro V1x a try and like what I see there. Durability of the new ball is really good. I am sure this could cause a lot of debate but to me the B330S and Pro V1x play pretty similar (at least the latest models).

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

If you're looking at the ProV1x...you'd need to start with the B330.

The S version is even softer, closer to the normal ProV1.

But either Bridgestone ball is great. I like them. If I had to pay money for balls and it had to be a premium model, I'd be buying those over a ProV1. Partly due to price, and partly due to the fact I don't feel like I lose anything with them.

This will be my 3rd season with it. I still have about 200 in the 5 gallon bucket. (2012 model, I haven't even tried the new ones). It's a great ball, I have tried just about every ball out there and I developed a preference for this one.

There's a good testing thread around here somewhere .. search this section for threads started by 'backtees'

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

It is an excellent ball but I found a few odd things when hitting some putts and approaches, which honestly could be as someone noted it is closer to the V1 ... not the V1x. I play the V1x typically. Nothing bad, would just need to practice with it more.

Below is a link as I tested the B330s / Pro V1x / Snell ball this weekend as a single playing 9 holes. [i]** New V1x is softer than last years and I play it so why I tested it VS the other two[/i]

[i][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1130047-snell-golf-balls-anyone/page__st__90"]http://www.golfwrx.c...ne/page__st__90[/url][/i]

2014 Hydro-Core model (B330) is the longest, most consistent (distance wise) ball that I've hit. It's soft (to me) with "one hop and stop" performance on approach shots with 7i down and just a little run-out with 4i - 6i. Green side I like to use different clubs for different shots; SW-PW for higher soft landing shots with only a little run-out, and 9i - 7i+ for bump and run shots. The new B330 is easier for me to gauge my shots, and they are consistent with what I put into them. Compared to my former Srixon XV's the new B330 putts a LOT better in terms of holding its line while distance is easier to control and more consistent as well for me. Durability isn't a problem. Price isn't as inexpensive as I wish it were. I normally buy 2-3 dozen new of whatever ball I am gaming and then I get another 2-4 dozen used of that ball. The 2014 Hydro-Core versions are very hard to get recycled (never get refurbished) so I am having to buy all of these at full market price (yikes) and these don't seem to be any cheaper than any other premium ball, including the ProV series. With that said, I have found that Walmart is selling them for roughly 23% less than just about everyone else, and that makes it easier to game this ball. I haven't tried the 2015 ProV series but at this point I'm not interested...especially since the consensus seems to be that the new ProV1X goes about the same distance as the new B330S, and the B330S doesn't fly as far as the B330 model does for me.

[quote name='darnoldil' timestamp='1428300672' post='11292673']
2014 Hydro-Core model (B330) is the longest, most consistent (distance wise) ball that I've hit. It's soft (to me) with "one hop and stop" performance on approach shots with 7i down and just a little run-out with 4i - 6i. Green side I like to use different clubs for different shots; SW-PW for higher soft landing shots with only a little run-out, and 9i - 7i+ for bump and run shots. The new B330 is easier for me to gauge my shots, and they are consistent with what I put into them. Compared to my former Srixon XV's the new B330 putts a LOT better in terms of holding its line while distance is easier to control and more consistent as well for me. Durability isn't a problem. Price isn't as inexpensive as I wish it were. I normally buy 2-3 dozen new of whatever ball I am gaming and then I get another 2-4 dozen used of that ball. The 2014 Hydro-Core versions are very hard to get recycled (never get refurbished) so I am having to buy all of these at full market price (yikes) and these don't seem to be any cheaper than any other premium ball, including the ProV series. With that said, I have found that Walmart is selling them for roughly 23% less than just about everyone else, and that makes it easier to game this ball. I haven't tried the 2015 ProV series but at this point I'm not interested...especially since the consensus seems to be that the new ProV1X goes about the same distance as the new B330S, and the B330S doesn't fly as far as the B330 model does for me.
[/quote]

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far. Good stuff!

This is some excellent info. I'm like you and use a variety of clubs and shots around the green. I'll always try and run the ball in where I can, so need something that's going to perform consistently for those shots, but that's also going to spin and check when required.

How do you find it off the tee in terms of distance and spin?

[quote name='abel88' timestamp='1428298449' post='11292609']
b330 s great ball switched this year to the new model from z star and have not looked back
[/quote]

What do you like about it over the Z-Star? I've played the Z on and off since it came out and find it performs very, very well.

I have kept going back to the 330-s now for the last year. Couple years ago, I was using the Lethal. Loved the overall performance of it. When the TPx came out, I switched. Long, good short game control. Putted great. Still have some laying around. Gave the TP a shot, and was just to spinny off the driver. I ended up losing distance off the tee, which I can't afford. I was searching for something that would give me a little more stopping power off the long irons on approach shots.

Picked up some 330-s. Wow. Just as long as the TPx. More spin. Just as predictable short game wise as the TPx.

But that wasn't enough. I tried the '13 Prov1x. Felt like a rock, which just turned me off of it. Back to the 330-s.

Bought the '15 Prov1x. Better than the '13, but the 330-s still beat it.

Tinkered with the SR-2 that I found. Felt great off the irons and short game (par 3 course), but got chewed up after nine holes. Back to the 330-s.

My only complaint now is that my new J15 wedges chew them up 95yards and in. But I can deal with that.

The B330S is my ball of choice. I stocked up last year on previous years models and thus haven't tried the 2014 model yet. I love this ball. Has all the playability of a performance ball but doesn't feel like it has the sacrifices those do. To me it plays like a combo of the ProV1 and ProV1X. You won't get the super soft feel and spin of a ProV1, but it doesn't necessarily run out as much as a ProV1x. Fantastic distance off the tee, always ahead of the ProVs in my testing, and doesn't get as squirrely off the tee as those either. Durability is good, not awesome, but it's certainly better than the ProV in my experience. Feel is a bit more on the firm and clicky side, can be one of the main drawbacks for those into super soft feel.

Great ball, if you look in the right spots you can find previous years models on the cheap. I'd start with those and see how it works.

[quote name='WolfWRX' timestamp='1428319450' post='11293037']
[quote name='darnoldil' timestamp='1428300672' post='11292673']
[/quote]

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far. Good stuff!

This is some excellent info. I'm like you and use a variety of clubs and shots around the green. I'll always try and run the ball in where I can, so need something that's going to perform consistently for those shots, but that's also going to spin and check when required.

How do you find it off the tee in terms of distance and spin?

[quote name='abel88' timestamp='1428298449' post='11292609']
b330 s great ball switched this year to the new model from z star and have not looked back
[/quote]

What do you like about it over the Z-Star? I've played the Z on and off since it came out and find it performs very, very well.
[/quote]

Distance for me on the 2014 B330 is the longest ball I've hit thus far. That is with the caveat of having not hit an SR3, RZN Black or new 2015 ProV1X.
Spin off of the driver of the 2014 B330 is the lowest I've hit thus far as well. This is/was very important to my driving game because I have problems with spin-loft so I need low spin off of the driver to minimize my peak height and to level out my decent angle in order to give me some roll out. My peak height can average as high as 130-150ft and I needed that to come down more around 100ft. The 2014 B330 helps me to be more consistent with my peak height, while my 9deg SLDR turned down to 8deg helped me to get the peak height down in the first place.
Again, I haven't hit the SR3, RZN Black or 2015 ProV1X, but I've hit a number of other balls and the 2014 B330 has them beat...for me, my swing and my equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2012 ball of the B330 and B330s are great products! With the hydrocore technology the spin numbers on both B330 and 330s are about the same on full swing shots but the B330s spins a ton more around the green from what I've seen. I play the B330s all the time and love everything about it. The B330 is about a full club longer from what I've seen but just doesn't have the control I want for spin shots.

Another great ball for cool weather golf (anything below 60 degrees) is the B330RXS. Spins like the 330s but a bit softer to compress a bit more for cold days.

I love everything about Bridgestone's golf balls and I don't think I'll be switching to another company any time soon.

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

I can't "Like" these last 2 posts enough. I wish B-Stone would go back to the 2012 formula, whatever that is. The newest iteration is good, but not "as" good. I have long since converted away from other brands since testing them.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I bagged the ZStar XV until the spin skin versions came out and then went looking for a different ball. I thought that ball was perfect with it's spin, distance and phenomenal durability along with it's running mate the ZStar.

I picked up some B330S balls and played them for a dozen and they reminded me of the ProV1. Next dozen was the B330 and they felt like what I was looking for in many ways. They remind me a lot of the ProV1X which was a ball I would return to after trying out other balls and always going back to the ProV1X. Then came the ZStar XV and then the B330 my current ball.

In my game the ZStarXV in yellow was the perfect ball, pre spin skin, but alas it is no longer available. If Srixon ever were to drop the spin skin cover I would go back to the ZStarXV but until then the B330 is a whisper better than the ProV1X for me.

[quote name='Tex1986' timestamp='1429314664' post='11384129']
I'm a big fan of the ProV1x and was interested in trying one of the bstone balls. Bstone's online deal put me in the b330s category. Is this ball more comparable to the V1X or is another b330 ball a better fit?
[/quote]
My experience is that the B330S is more like the regular ProV1, and the B330 is closer to the ProV1X.

[quote name='Tex1986' timestamp='1429314664' post='11384129']
I'm a big fan of the ProV1x and was interested in trying one of the bstone balls. Bstone's online deal put me in the b330s category. Is this ball more comparable to the V1X or is another b330 ball a better fit?
[/quote]
My experience is that the B330S is more like the regular ProV1, and the B330 is closer to the ProV1X.

• 2 years later...

It's a golf ball like the rest of them. I ran out of balls one day and found some random balls in the woods and used them, no difference in my game.

Although I use Bridgestone mostly, they are just shag balls I find in the woods during my round, I think the golf industry has gone a bit too crazy w/ equipment including golf balls...