What Did You Shoot Today? (Continuation)

1t2golf

78. Fighting the 2 way miss all day. Frustrating.

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

I shot a 74 yesterday at Stonewall Orchard and a 75 today at Highlands of Elgin. Conditions yesterday were pretty decent, since temps were only in the mid-50's but there was very little wind and the sun started to come out. My driver was hot and cold but ball striking with my irons and fairway woods was crisp. Stonewall has all of Arthur Hills' tricks (bunkers in the middle of fairways, multi-leveled fairways, false-front greens, etc.) but hitting greens neutralizes those gimmicks. Conditions today were brutal. Temps were in the low-40's with 30+ mph winds. The balls were oscillating on the greens, which I almost never see. I hit the ball really well and on a normal day I would have been able to go very low. After all the rain the Chicago area got and is projected to get tomorrow, I was just happy to get in two rounds.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

No golf today or tomorrow. Have to love Springtime in Colorado!!! Maybe a round on Monday (I think I am taking the week off).

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

another good round that helped my HDC get under 9. stuck a little less greens than my 74 round a few weeks ago but the chipping was on point a few times to help.

newround1.png

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

My last two rounds out (yesterday and then last Monday) I've had a really hard time "starting on time". The two rounds ended up in scores of 71 and 73, but I walked away feeling like I left sub-70 rounds on the table easy. Now, to be fair, I didn't have any range time for either (long story on the Monday round, last-minute walkup yesterday), but I really think the ball I play has a ton to do with it. For both front 9s, I played the KSig. I wasn't playing that badly with it, but it just didn't fit my game the way I need a ball to. For both back 9s, I played the TM TP5. Both rounds, I scored at least 3 shots better on the back than front.

Now, you could certainly chalk those 3 shots up to the no range time, but I really feel like the arrow was more influential than the archer, so to speak. I didn't feel like I was swinging THAT much better on the back than the front. Am I delusional? Overthinking this? An idiot?

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

Well, got my 2nd official round in (just joined a men's club and posting scores for the 1st time). It was a pretty good day overall (+2 73), but I easily cost myself 4 strokes by just not making good decisions. I drove the ball very well and I am feeling incredibly confident off the tee since I put the Epic SZ in play. My irons and wedges were pretty good but I did have a few shots that I'd love to have back.

The good - I put the ball in good spots most of the day. I drove the ball pretty straight and misses weren't terrible at all. My ball striking was pretty consistent and aside from 2 not great swings (both missed 15y+ left), I felt really good about my iron/wedge game. I drove the green on a 322y par 4 and nearly got the eagle putt to drop (love tap in birdies) and I made 2 really nice par saves from 15+ feet.

The bad - I got into trouble on the #1 handicap hole and tried to hit a hero shot from a fairway bunker which didn't really go well (caught the lip) and led to a double. On the #2 handicap hole, I hit a great drive and had 250 to carry the bunker to get home in 2... Instead, I buried in the lip of the bunker and led to a really ugly bogey. Laying up there probably gives me a 30% chance at birdie and takes bogey out of play really. That one hurts.

Stats

11/14 fairways hit (8/11 with driver)

13/18 greens in regulation

33 putts

40% scrambling

3 birdies, 3 bogeys, 1 double

I hit a lot of good putts in the round, and there were at least 4 that I thought were going in right up until the last foot. On the other hand, I made a couple long ones so that probably evens out a bit.

2 of the missed greens were on good swings, but maybe questionable decisions to go right at flags. One was a 6i from 189y to a very back hole location... I struck perfectly and ended up flying right over the flag but long. The other was a very front pin and I had a 9i that landed about a foot short of where it needed to be and ended up rolling back down the hill. I need to be a little less aggressive on those hole locations and err on the side of middle and I probably have 2 more looks at birdie instead of trying to scramble for par.

I had zero expectations going in because I haven't had much time to practice lately.

WITB
D - Taylormade SIM 2, Kuro Kage 60x
5w - Taylormade SIM 2 Max, HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70g 6.5

4h - Taylormade SIM Max, Speeder Tour Spec 9.3x

2i - Callaway XForged UT, Recoil ES 780 F5

5i-PW - Mizuno 921 HMP, Project X LZ 6.0

Wedges - Mizuno T20 49*, Taylormade TP EF 54*, Vokey 60* M Grind
Putter - Mizuno M-Craft V

Ball - Mizuno RB Tour X

Shot a 100 on the nose. Way too many putts (41), but hit the sand 4 times, put one in the water and dropped once. Even with all of that I still shot a 100. Testament to my improving game. That 100 moves my trending HC down .3 to a 23.8 when I started the season at 28. I know for many here this is a disaster round, but when I can have that many penalties and way more than average putts, but still shoot a score which brings down my handi cap is just a tremendous difference for me and a really positive thing.

9index. Shot 78 at Manistee National (Cutters Ridge) from tips. First time playing the course for our group, 2nd 18 of the day and 2nd day of 36 holes in a row. Sustained swirling 20mph winds gusting to 40 and never got over 43 degrees. Double bogey on 3 and 17 or it coulda been REALLY good.

Then I went to Arcadia Bluffs today and it was amazingly beautiful in the way a great white shark is. The greens were glass, pins were placed by someone who had a terrible Saturday night and the wind coming off Lake Michigan was over 45mph at some points, sustained over 25mph all day. Hit the best 3w (260 club) of my life from 203 out and stuck it to 12 feet into an easy 40mph straight wind. Cutting the rest of the adventure short, I shot an exhausted 98 and didn't play that poorly for the majority of the round. It was brutal!

95 today. Par 71. Made one birdie.

156 yards against the wind. Choke 7 iron to 8-10 feet. Uphill right to left putt to birdie.

Not really a good round since I topped my 3 wood a bunch of times. But it was good off the tee. Hopefully next time I play, I can fix it and won't happen as much.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

Played in our eclectic tournament this weekend. Shot a lackluster 73 yesterday and our team shot 69 (eclectic is two person best ball over two days where the 2nd day's scores are used only if they improve on the day one scores, i.e. make a par on a hole on day one you need a birdie on day two to lower your score). Could not get any putts to fall.

Day two I shot a reasonable 70. Needed an eagle (made birdie on Saturday so only an eagle would improve our team score) on the par-5 18th to either tie or win (turns out it was for the win). Hole is a short par-5 (409 yards), but plays uphill on the tee shot into a prevailing breeze with a 2nd shot all carry over a pond. I hit a bullet drive under the wind down the left side. Left me 193 into a breeze quartering into from the left to a back left hole position. I smoked a 3h that landed pin high right and curled in behind and above the pin. I made the 25' downhill right to left putt for the eagle and the win. Best I have ever played under that kind of pressure. It felt great to close the deal.

Intended to go to the range at Orange County National yesterday evening but decided last minute to play 9 at Crooked Cat (Orange Tees).

I managed to hit only one fairway and only one GIR while having two 3-putts....

Still managed to shoot 38. I had 6 FREAKING ONE PUTTS for a total of 14 putts on the 9. I was getting up and down from everywhere.

*FWIW, I'm a 6.5 handicap. One of those 3-putts was a 3-putt Par after I what I believe is the best 3 Wood I've ever hit in my life. Second shot on Par 5, 246 yd pin and downwind. Hit it directly online with the flag and ended up 25 feet past the hole on the green. THREE JACKED. :(

I've always thought this, but it's easy to think back about all of the strokes you should have back BUT if you do that, you should also take back the unlikely strokes you actually saved. Golf has a way of balancing itself out.

Ping G425 Max Driver
Ping G430 Max 3 and 5 Wood

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 - 50, 55, 60
Odyssey 2Ball TEN Tour-Lined, White Hot insert

3 Over par 74 yesterday. I was even through 14 then the cold weather got even colder and my hands went basically numb and I fumbled pretty hard making 3 bogeys over the last 4 holes.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 @11.25 Ventus TR Red 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 wood 15 @15.75 Ventus TR Red 8X

Taylormade Stealth 2+ 2 Rescue @18.5* LAGP AXS RED 85HX
Titleist T200 4-6 T150 7-PW Modus 105X 4 iron 120X 5-PW

Taylormade My MG4 50 Modus 120X
Taylormade My MG4 56 TI DG S400

Taylormade My High Toe 3 60 TI DG S400

Taylormade Spider Tour V Stability Tour

Taylormade TP5X 2024

79 yesterday at Goat Hill in Oceanside, CA. Its got to be one of the hardest short courses i have ever seen and it was windy on top of that. Its Johns Ashworth's project and a cool little track. Greens were good but slow. According to the Aple health app i climber 52 flights of stairs going up and down the hills!

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

Shot a 91 yesterday. My first official round of the year. Was supposed to play last week, but it snowed here in CO.

Hit my new Epic driver, well it was Epic. Nutted a few drives around 270. But my short game was absolutely horrible. couldn't chip or putt for my life. Need more practice/playetime.

Driver: Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X LZ 5.5
FWY: Callaway BB 3WD / BB H4 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
Wedges: Mizuno T7 52*, 58*
Putter: Odyssey MXM Versa 1

Finally shot a good round this year. I have been shooting in the 90s and my iron striking has been horrendous. But yesterday it came together and I was hitting my irons well. Still erratic off the tee ( I think I am going to bench my driver), but I managed to shoot 82. It felt good proving to myself that I can break 90 still.

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

Shot a 46 on the front 9 of an unfamiliar course. Took a beating on a slopey par 5 where the white tee box was closed, so played the back tees and paid dearly for it...drive that would have ended up right side of the fairway from the whites ended up in the woods 30ft above the fairway. Scored 9 in that one and didn't recover well. Was +3 thru 5...ended up +11 for the 9. God i hate slope!

Showed up at my us open local qualifying fhis week only having played 9 holes all season . Btween hAving g my 2nd boy And being short handed At work i have hd no time for golf

I thought about t taking a WD but i decided fo play anyways. . Everything felt wrong. But i grinded out a 78 in tough conditions . 5 bogeys 1 triple and 2 birdies . All things considered it could d have been worse

86 at a course I've never played. For the first time ever, I had three make able eagle putts. One I drove a 290 par 4, other two were par 5's I made in two. All three putts were within 20 feet and very make able. Of course I made birdie on one and three put pars on the other two.

Lots of bogeys, one birdie and one double bogey. Overall, I can't complain.

Had one of those good & bad days Saturday. Shot an 86 with 7 penalties strokes (3 stroke and distance lost balls and 1 drop) and think I only hit like 4 fairways and 3 greens. On paper it doesn't look good, but keeping it at 86 despite the penalties and horrible stats was the only silver lining. Played 15 holes at +5 but was +9 on the other three.