2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

What Did You Shoot Today? (Continuation)

1t2golf

after a crappy first hole - it ended up very well. hot as a mother f*%$er yesterday, temps up to 106* and was slooooow out there - almost a 5hr round for a relatively short course. still managed to shot +3 and go even on the back nine which usually eats my lunch if the wind is blowing - not yesterday. short game needs work again.

round.png

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Played at tricky course just outside of London that I've not visited before. Greens in great condition which made for a nice day. Shot 88 on the par 72, which is a fair reflection of where I'm at currently. Sadly I was +10 through the first 6, then only dropped 6 further shots! Really need to build in some time to hit 20 balls on the range before going out.

Highlights were the Par 5 13th (468) where I hit driver and a nice 5 iron to 20ft, missed the eagle putt but still a welcome birdie, plus the 18th where i hit a great 7 iron to about 12 ft over water, again missed the birdie putt!

Low lights include a complete miscalculation of the wind strength, leading to a 7 iron going over the back of the green and out of the course on one of the par 3's and getting greedy on a par 5 in trying to get tight to the hazard to leave an easy 3rd, leading to my second getting wet.

Thanks. It was frustrating for awhile because it didn't feel like from 2015 through 2016 that I was getting a whole lot better. Keeping statistics helped me realize that I was getting better, but I think that in my mind 105-110 or 100-105 was about the same, but it isn't, just like 95-100 is not the same as 100-105. I feel like I'm really playing golf now and not just hitting a ball around gradually towards the hole. I can think about strategy, course management and I have an arsenal of shots for a number of situations.

I'm well on my way already to the 2017 goals of a sub 90s round and a sub 20 handicap. I'll be pretty happy if I can reset those goals, before 2018. I also want my yearly scoring average to be under 100, but that looks like it's going to happen, so I'll have to set another one soon. I'm at 101.36 now after 22 rounds. I'd also like to get that first eagle this year too.

The stats are interesting and a good way to measure yourself against others and your past self, but I would caution against thinking too much about them while you're playing. Do you analyze while you play? Or just go play and see where it falls after the round?

Another thing I've noticed is there are physical (skill) barriers/milestones, and there are mental barriers/milestones. In other words, as I've approached a barrier, say breaking 90 or breaking 80, it's a mental barrier that I need to pass. Once it's passed, it's time to focus again on the physical parts, improving mechanics and lots of practice. I've found that you can achieve a skill milestone without knowing it, and it's the mental barrier that keeps you from achieving success on the golf course.

I don't really analyze too much while I play, I keep track of score and typically know where I'm at, but not always. I'm definitely not thinking about how many pars, bogeys, etc I have and don't really know until the round is over.

83 with an 8 on the easiest par 5s on my home course.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Another scrambling gem today in the wind for a 79. It was my second longest driving day of the year due to the hard fast fairways. I also had my first 300 yard drive of the year on #6, but failed to hit the par 5 in two when my second went over the green. Sadly, I've still never gotten home in two on a par 5. I only had five GIRS, but got up and down seven times including the last three holes. I would like my third shot on #15 back as it failed to bounce across the lake.

Disappointing round this evening that actually turned into a pleasant surprise.

Shot a 9 over 43 on Ridgeview at Boone Links (my home course) and was somewhat annoyed. I play this 9 a lot during the summer because the leagues have the two "main" 9's tied up in the evenings. I usually play multiple balls, practice from 125 out, etc. Tonight I played it down and shot the aforementioned 9 over including a 2 stroke penalty (stroke and distance) when I push-faded my tee shot into the woods on #7.

I was fairly irritated until I got home and pulled up the course rating and slope (35/140) and realized that my score this evening translates to a 12.4 index. 9.3 if I hadn't hit the ball into the woods on #7 (if I'm doing the calcs correctly).

Considering my tournament index is currently 23 and I've been playing the main 9's to around a 15, this revelation made my evening.

71 1-under par

first round under par in about a year and a half. Stokedddd!

Driver-TM Sim 9 GD- Tour ADDI 6x

Fairway- Nike VR Pro 15- Fubuki Alpha 70x

Irons- Mizuno MP20 6-PW MMC-4,5- PJX LZ 6.5

Wedges- RTX4  50,56,60- DG s400 

Putter- Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 w/Hula Girl 2006 cover

81. I know some will roll their eyes but it could've been a 71. I hit it so flush. Just kept short siding myself leaving tough chips and since I teed off at 645am the golf course changed as the round progressed. Made 3 birdies and just have to work on squaring the face better. Wedges and short irons were coming off left of the intended line but the strikes were solid. Also I had almost no course knowledge as the last time I played it was in a scramble 2 years ago.

Instagram account

Titleist TSi4 8.25* / Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7-X
TaylorMade Aero Burner TP 15° / Matrix White Tie 70-X
Taylormade SIM UDI 2i / Diamana THUMP 100X

Taylormade P770 3i (at 22°) / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MC 5-7, P7MB 8, 9 / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MB P / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 50° (at 52°) / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 TW 56° and 60° / DG S400

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH 34"

Played my first tournament in probably 25 years. My buddy is a member at Bear Creek. For those of you who dont remember this was the home of the original Skins game( the scoreboard is still i the grill room). Unfortunately no matter how many balls you beat and how many equipment changes you make there is no substitute for simply playing. My short game was atrocious and my game management matched. I played to a 7 and shot 80,86,81. Sad part is i dont really feel like i played all that bad. I can easily come up with 10 shots a day that were wasted. Really bad part is my buddy played just as bad. It seems we pull each other down instead of pulling each other up. Good news is for the first time in a long time after playing bad i dont feel like hanging them up for a while but want to get back out there. Looking to play some competitive amateur events now that i am closing in on that.

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

Shot a birdie-free 74 yesterday morning at Brighton Dale Links in Wisconsin and followed it up with a 4 birdie 73 in the afternoon at Thunderhawk in the northern Chicago burbs. For round two, I moved up from the tips (7031 yards) to the Brass (6631 yards) because of the 30 mph winds that were right in my face for the first four holes. That ended up being a good idea. I've gone lower than 73 on some courses but never at a course as tough as Thunderhawk, which is a Robert Trent Jones, Jr. design that's given me nightmares in the past.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

48+48 (69.9, 128) My best round there. HCP app tells me it's my 8th best round. 7 doubles and 1 triple, plus one skull. Trying to record where I'm making the doubles and triples the past two rounds. Hit all but one fairway. One issue is GIR. I must have had 5 holes where I was 10 to 20 yards short. I am not a long hitter. Gonna start taking an extra club for approach shots.

So I think my game is to the point this shouldn't still happen, but apparently does. On Saturday I played a different course than normal but comparable rating/slope as my home course. I couldn't do anything right and dropped an f-ing 98 on a par 71. Took off to play my home course this morning and shot 76 on a par 72. 22 strokes less from one round to the next!!!! I'm some kind of special.

So I think my game is to the point this shouldn't still happen, but apparently does. On Saturday I played a different course than normal but comparable rating/slope as my home course. I couldn't do anything right and dropped an f-ing 98 on a par 71. Took off to play my home course this morning and shot 76 on a par 72. 22 strokes less from one round to the next!!!! I'm some kind of special.

Some things just can't be explained, this is one of them. I feel your pain.

76 for my first time breaking 80 from the back tees. Teed off at 6:30 this morning. 1st drive of the day went a whopping 60 yards. So tight I could barely swing. Struggled with a low weak fade off the tee all day but my iron play was great. Dropped a ton of putts with my new Taylormade spider black. Love that putter

44+46 on a shorter par 68.

4, 3 putts

3 times over clubbed and found myself on the back fringe

3 times short on par 3's

3 times two chipped. Last couple of deeper grass chips, I used hybrid and stopped it 2 -3 ft from the cup.

Trying to concentrate on next biggest miss. Bunker practice paying off. (found my 52 gets me out) Driver, wood and long iron practice paying off. (flattened my swing) Moving to deeper grass chipping next. Gonna spend a few buckets that gets me a club I'm most comfortable with.

Regardless of score tho...gotta remember my happy place, the golf course.