Never had a hybrid... is it time?

crater_divots

Long irons have always been my strength, and I can't hit a fairway wood off the deck to save my life...

There's a severe distance gap from 3 iron to driver (obviously) that needs filled. I just got a Callaway FT-Tour 3-wood with 83g X-stiff Whiteboard. This thing is intended for hitting fairways off of the tee and nothing else, BUT it's turned into a hook machine. I don't care for the shaft (I play PX 7.0 in driver and love that frickin thing) and feel like the whiteboard is much more loose.

I see a few options here...

a) get the 2-iron that matches my iron set, but the distance gap will still exist

b) try to learn to hit fairway woods, my weakest aspect

c) dive into the hybrid game

I think that a hybrid should be hotter than my irons, filling the distance gap. I also think that as a big divot taker (see username) the hybrid should fit my swing better. I'm a right-to-left player by nature and the few hybrids I've demoed were hook machines (and also had poor shafts for my game)

Wondering who else has gone through this and what you've found...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='crater_divots' timestamp='1429571406' post='11401807']
Long irons have always been my strength, and I can't hit a fairway wood off the deck to save my life...

There's a severe distance gap from 3 iron to driver (obviously) that needs filled. I just got a Callaway FT-Tour 3-wood with 83g X-stiff Whiteboard. This thing is intended for hitting fairways off of the tee and nothing else, BUT it's turned into a hook machine. I don't care for the shaft (I play PX 7.0 in driver and love that frickin thing) and feel like the whiteboard is much more loose.

a) get the 2-iron that matches my iron set, but the distance gap will still exist

I think that a hybrid should be hotter than my irons, filling the distance gap. I also think that as a big divot taker (see username) the hybrid should fit my swing better. I'm a right-to-left player by nature and the few hybrids I've demoed were hook machines (and also had poor shafts for my game)

[/quote]

What hybrids have you tried? There are a lot available and if you struggle with hooking them (common problem) and struggle hitting woods then I would look for a smaller profile hybrid that is more iron-like. Look at the Titleist 915HD, Callaway 815 BB Alpha, Callaway XR pro, and Nike Vapor Flex. If you can find a Mizuno mp 650 hybrid those sit pretty open with very minimal offset.

I never really liked the idea of using a hybrid. Just seemed like something people who absolutely cannot hit long irons turned to in order to fill gaps and give themselves a shot at making a GIR or two on longer holes.

But....

Every now and then my 4 iron would betray me. I could hit each and every other club in the bag with confidence and competence. When my 4 iron was "on" it was one of my favorite clubs. When it was off I felt like it was taking up (and wasting) space in my bag. I found a Rbz Stage 2 Tour 4 iron (adjustable) for a song on eBay from a known and reputable seller - pulled the trigger figuring I can't go wrong for $60. I took it to the range and dialed it in and can not hit it 190 with a nice draw almost every single time I pull it out of the bag. I can shape it and I can take a little off when necessary.

Bottom line - I was hesitant to pull my 4 iron and replace it with a hybrid. Now I don't even look back. And I even replaced my older 5W with an Rbz Stage 2 19* that I hit equally well.

If the hybrids weren't worthwhile the guys who make their living playing this game would not bag them. I would urge that you go out and sniff around a bit. Hit some of them. The TM line of hybrids over the past two years has been both amazing as well as enormously popular. And, with falling prices, worst case you spend $50 or so to really test one out.

Hope this helps. Good luck in any case!

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='BigHook25' timestamp='1429572321' post='11401931']

What hybrids have you tried? There are a lot available and if you struggle with hooking them (common problem) and struggle hitting woods then I would look for a smaller profile hybrid that is more iron-like. Look at the Titleist 915HD, Callaway 815 BB Alpha, Callaway XR pro, and Nike Vapor Flex. If you can find a Mizuno mp 650 hybrid those sit pretty open with very minimal offset.
[/quote]

The only one that I recall was the Adams Idea Pro Black a few years back. I hit it indoors but really liked it. All of the others I've held were severe offset or just too goofy for my tastes.

I've been looking on Callaway Pre Owned for a used hybrid to give a shot at. I'm in a very rural area so demo days don't come around here...

I found a few Callaway X2 pro hybrids. Looking at 18 degree (2 iron replacements) One had a 105g X-flex RIP in it that intriqued me. Another had an Aldila Tour Green that I don't know anything about.

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1429575869' post='11402461']
I never really liked the idea of using a hybrid. Just seemed like something people who absolutely cannot hit long irons turned to in order to fill gaps and give themselves a shot at making a GIR or two on longer holes.

But....

Every now and then my 4 iron would betray me. I could hit each and every other club in the bag with confidence and competence. When my 4 iron was "on" it was one of my favorite clubs. When it was off I felt like it was taking up (and wasting) space in my bag. I found a Rbz Stage 2 Tour 4 iron (adjustable) for a song on eBay from a known and reputable seller - pulled the trigger figuring I can't go wrong for $60. I took it to the range and dialed it in and can not hit it 190 with a nice draw almost every single time I pull it out of the bag. I can shape it and I can take a little off when necessary.

Bottom line - I was hesitant to pull my 4 iron and replace it with a hybrid. Now I don't even look back. And I even replaced my older 5W with an Rbz Stage 2 19* that I hit equally well.

If the hybrids weren't worthwhile the guys who make their living playing this game would not bag them. I would urge that you go out and sniff around a bit. Hit some of them. The TM line of hybrids over the past two years has been both amazing as well as enormously popular. And, with falling prices, worst case you spend $50 or so to really test one out.

Hope this helps. Good luck in any case!
[/quote]

Thanks for your reply! You actually bring up my major reason for NOT having one so far...

My long irons are my strength. My first club as a 6 year old was a 1-iron and I hit that thing for years before I ever got another. It's a weird way to learn, but it did make me a ball striker!

Most people who game hybrids (in my experience) do so for the reasons you mentioned. But I'd be doing it for the opposite. Not because I struggle with the long irons, but because I hit them well (and therefor think that a hybrid swing would fit me better than the fairway wood swing).

I certainly appreciate the feedback.

... Absolutely take a look at the Wilson FG Tour V4 Utility iron. Carpenter steel face makes it much longer than a corresponding long iron,but just as accurate. I use my 3 (21*) off the tee on short par 4s and it is outstanding from the fairway. Nice high, flat ball flight. Looks great at address and I love the Kuro Kage 90gm shaft. Perfect transition from heavier iron shafts to lighter wood shafts. I hit all the Utility irons on Demo Day at the show this year and expected to like the Srixon or the Taylor Made but was most impressed by the Wilson.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

... I played a 21* DHY all of last season and agree it is an exceptional utility hybrid. However I like the V4 Utility a little better. Performance is very similar so it is just more of a personal preference.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

This is the first season I have actively used a 3 wood and I love it, but before I found the right head/shaft combo, the old one took up space and I used a my old 19* hybrid in it's place. They are definitely hotter than long irons, and depending on you ss and all that (I'm guessing it's pretty high judging by the shafts you noted) you shouldn't have much trouble finding something that you get 240-250 out of. You'll still be missing out on longer Par 5's, but your moving into lower percentage shots at that point anyways, and a nice 250 yard shot beats a potentially wild 270 3 wood in my book.

As someone else noted above, you can negate the hooks with a small "pro" style head. My x2hot pro is fantastic for me, and a hook only really happens when it's a big mis-hit, vs my old rbz, where I'd swear a hook was a stock shot. Find a small head and heafty shaft, after that, they're pretty dang easy to hit.

I always felt like hybrids were easier to hit and control your accuracy on. Although I am a big newbie and I suck at hitting 4 irons :D

Cobra King F9 Driver 8Project X HZRDUS RDX Blue 60G X

Cobra King Radspeed 3w 15.5Fujikura Motore X F1 70G X

Cobra King Radspeed 5w 18.5Fujikura Motore X F1 70G X

Cobra King Forged Utility 3i 18.5Project X Catalyst 80G X

Cobra King Tec 4 Hybrid 22.5Mitsubishi MMT 80G X

Callaway Apex Pro 21 Irons 5i-PW Project X 6.5 IO 115G X

Titleist Vokey SM8 50o, 54o, 58o Wedges Project X 6.0 120G S

Titleist Scotty Cameron Futura X5R Putter 

What shafts are in your irons?

Like you, I used to hate hybrids, my best clubs relative to my college competitors were the 2 thru 4 irons. (this goes back 22 years). I too used to hook hybrids. I too used to not be able to hit a fairway wood off the deck.

Old pro told me to put steel in a hybrid and that helped somewhat. But like me I think you are too steep and that is causing problems for your 3w and it will also haunt your search for a hybrid

I've learned to be [u][b]shallower[/b][/u] with my 4h (and 4w) and you couldn't pry it out of my cold dead hands now. I can hit high draws over trees from 205 and stop it. Shots that are NOT possible with a 4i for me

Might I humbly suggest an Adams XTD Ti 2h .. you can alter loft on it ,., in a Red Tie X ... cheap nowadays for a great club

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I grew up playing long irons. In fact I used to carry 1-SW with a driver and 3 wood. Never had problems with the long irons that most folks had but once in awhile I'd really miss hit them plus they were a no go from deeper rough. I always had high ball flight and my old irons (early 80's) were 1* strong for that reason.

Just returned to the game really after not playing much for years. Tried a hybrid for the first time and I was like why do folks even make long irons any more? (Pro responded he did not think he had sold a long iron all last year.) Anyhow the right one is SO much easier to hit than a long iron and the club goes through long grass so much better it's crazy. Try looking around and I bet you can find one you like. Might also help to work with a pro a bit to get fit and learn how to hit it. (Mine told me hit it like a 5 iron and it works well for me BUT that may not be the case for others.) Also note you may what to try different shafts to find whats right for you. Sounds like you need a certain shaft to swing well and getting the right one could be the key, (I also need the right shaft or my swing goes bonkers!)

I do wonder how much of the problems some have with hybirds is the wrong shaft and/or trying to hit them wrong. :shurg:

[quote name='THenman' timestamp='1429645533' post='11409441']
I grew up playing long irons. In fact I used to carry 1-SW with a driver and 3 wood. Never had problems with the long irons that most folks had but once in awhile I'd really miss hit them plus they were a no go from deeper rough. I always had high ball flight and my old irons (early 80's) were 1* strong for that reason.

Just returned to the game really after not playing much for years. Tried a hybrid for the first time and I was like why do folks even make long irons any more? (Pro responded he did not think he had sold a long iron all last year.) Anyhow the right one is SO much easier to hit than a long iron and the club goes through long grass so much better it's crazy. Try looking around and I bet you can find one you like. Might also help to work with a pro a bit to get fit and learn how to hit it. (Mine told me hit it like a 5 iron and it works well for me BUT that may not be the case for others.) Also note you may what to try different shafts to find whats right for you. Sounds like you need a certain shaft to swing well and getting the right one could be the key, (I also need the right shaft or my swing goes bonkers!)

I do wonder how much of the problems some have with hybirds is the wrong shaft and/or trying to hit them wrong. :shurg:
[/quote]

I was told to hit my hybrid like a 5 iron as well and that seemed to straighten things out for me.

Cobra King F9 Driver 8Project X HZRDUS RDX Blue 60G X

Cobra King Radspeed 3w 15.5Fujikura Motore X F1 70G X

Cobra King Radspeed 5w 18.5Fujikura Motore X F1 70G X

Cobra King Forged Utility 3i 18.5Project X Catalyst 80G X

Cobra King Tec 4 Hybrid 22.5Mitsubishi MMT 80G X

Callaway Apex Pro 21 Irons 5i-PW Project X 6.5 IO 115G X

Titleist Vokey SM8 50o, 54o, 58o Wedges Project X 6.0 120G S

Titleist Scotty Cameron Futura X5R Putter 

[quote name='cardoustie' timestamp='1429642094' post='11408979'] What shafts are in your irons? [/quote]

DG X100 in irons and wedges
PX 7.0 in driver

I think you are correct with me being too steep. I've noticed the same thing in the early season and I'm working on it.

I've always been a steep swinger/high spin guy.

[quote name='THenman' timestamp='1429645533' post='11409441'] Sounds like you need a certain shaft to swing well and getting the right one could be the key, (I also need the right shaft or my swing goes bonkers!) I do wonder how much of the problems some have with hybirds is the wrong shaft and/or trying to hit them wrong. :shurg: [/quote]

I've been playing golf since I was 6 and in that time, the biggest equipment need that has an impact on my game isn't clubheads, balls, or anything else... it's shafts. But I've had a heckuva time finding the right shafts...

I'm about 6'4" and a fitness trainer by trade. My SS was in the 130's with a driver a few years back. I'm just getting back into the game, but judging by distance I'd guess it's in the 120's and increasing...

Shaft choice will probably be the biggest decider on whether a hybrid works for me or not. Unfortnantly, that's an area I know almost nothing about.

[quote name='crater_divots' timestamp='1429646274' post='11409537']

I've been playing golf since I was 6 and in that time, the biggest equipment need that has an impact on my game isn't clubheads, balls, or anything else... it's shafts. But I've had a heckuva time finding the right shafts...

I'm about 6'4" and a fitness trainer by trade. My SS was in the 130's with a driver a few years back. I'm just getting back into the game, but judging by distance I'd guess it's in the 120's and increasing...

Shaft choice will probably be the biggest decider on whether a hybrid works for me or not. Unfortnantly, that's an area I know almost nothing about.
[/quote]

Best advice I can give then is get with a good fitter. One that has a ton of options to go to. Even better if he/she happens to be a good teaching pro you can work with.

If that is not an option some here might be able to help point you in the right direction. Or if you need to find a fitter lots of folks here who could help point you to one.

I didn't like hybrids for a long time but then I pick up a hybrid that was more of a players model. I now play the Titleist 915H. It does a really good job getting the ball up and online. Just make sure when you set it down the hybrid doesn't look really closed. Also try putting a heavy shaft in it and it will feel more like an iron.

Titlsist 915 D3 9.5
Titleist 915 F 15
Titleist 915 H 16.5
Titleist AP2 w/ C-Taper
Titleist SM5 50, 55, 60
Scotty Cameron Select NP2

I just started using a 19* hybrid for the first time last year and at first it was a pain and I hated the club, only used it out of the rough on long holes really. All the angle of attack and treat it like an iron mumbo jumbo was NOT registering with me because it just visually looked wrong. Late last season I started moving the ball up in my stance and taking very single plane swing and it works for me. Granted there's a lot going through my head now with that club but the way I see it is, like any other swing change I've ever made, it will be natural in no time.

[quote name='crater_divots' timestamp='1429571406' post='11401807']

[/quote]

Hybrids have come quite a ways in the last few years - till then I preferred FWs and long irons. Sounds like you should look for the shallower front to back hybrids that are more iron like and you'd be more comfortable with.

That said if your FT Tour is a hook machine, I'm not sure that you aren't going to get the same with a hybrid. I've heard a lot of things about that club, but hook machine has never been one of them. And hybrids are generally more upright than the FW they replace.

[quote name='THenman' timestamp='1429646866' post='11409599'] Best advice I can give then is get with a good fitter. One that has a ton of options to go to. Even better if he/she happens to be a good teaching pro you can work with. If that is not an option some here might be able to help point you in the right direction. Or if you need to find a fitter lots of folks here who could help point you to one. [/quote]
That would be the smart thing for me to do... In the past, I've relied heavily on the expert advice of the forum. For example, I had always played a stock stiff shaft in my driver (with horrendous results). Reading through this forum lead me to the PX shaft, and torn between the 6.5 and 7.0 I went with 7.0 for dispersion.

I'm moving the Washington state very soon, from the east coast. I'm hoping that while I'm there I will be able to locate a good club with good fitters. I haven't been able to do that locally.
[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1429647849' post='11409729'] Hybrids have come quite a ways in the last few years - till then I preferred FWs and long irons. Sounds like you should look for the shallower front to back hybrids that are more iron like and you'd be more comfortable with. That said if your FT Tour is a hook machine, I'm not sure that you aren't going to get the same with a hybrid. I've heard a lot of things about that club, but hook machine has never been one of them. And hybrids are generally more upright than the FW they replace. [/quote]

I blame the shaft (perhaps not rightfully). My early season swing hasn't hit full stride yet, but I really have to dial it down to hit a straight ball, whereas the PX can handle me really going after it. I think that the 83g whiteboard just isn't stout enough.

I play 4h and 5h this year. I'm not a long hitter. Off day my 3i-5i go the same distance. I spent last winter learn to hit hybrid. Now I build my bag around it. Score better already. My 5h(26*) still going too far at times, but I'm way more confident with it than my long irons.

Titleist TSR2 10 

Titleist 917 F2 5W

Ping 4h 5h

Vega 6-PW
Vega Alcor 50
Titleist SM 8 54
Fourteen RM4 58
Odyssey Eleven Tour Line S 

I started using 3/4 hybrids last year. I wasn't hitting 3/4 irons very well anymore. They instantly became 2 of my favorite clubs in my bag.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11