2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Leadbetters A Swing

Hammerboy

Looks like Leadbetter may have a winer here.

There are actually a few videos out on Youtube, where the swing is described in pretty good detail.

Don;t know if I am doing it 100% right, don't have the book, but this is clearly a very easy and repeatable golf swing.

It took about 3 swings on the range, I was able to hit some pretty decent shots. Not sure if I am interested in a swing change, but this looks to be the real thing.

Very few moving parts and very few steps to make it work.

Anyone else try this yet?

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those hi profile teaching pros can keep all their marketing nonsense...

with respect, unless Leadbetter has invented a new set of physics laws or altered the earths gravitational pull I'll stick with those teachers that cut through all the bullsh*t and actually get to the root of golfers chronic problems, not sugar coating an idea to shift units.

[quote name='Hammerboy' timestamp='1430236567' post='11458415']
[quote name='MonteScheinblum' timestamp='1430234960' post='11458251']
There are no magic moves.
[/quote]

Where did anyone say there was a magic move?

Have you read the book or seen the video yet? If not, recommned before you offer your two cents.
[/quote]

Wow. Rough morning?

[quote name='ryan983' timestamp='1430236689' post='11458435']
[/quote]

Have you read the book or seen the video yet? If not, recommned before you offer your two cents.
[/quote]

Wow. Rough morning?
[/quote]

He's probably mad that his Joseph A. Bank clothing line tanked.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[color=#222222]Who pee'd in your Cheerios this morning?[/color]
[color=#222222][size="3"] [/size][/color]
[color=#222222]Monte is one of the most respected members/teachers on this site..... Hope you have your flame proof suit on OP cause there is a storm coming..... [/color]

TaylorMade R11
PING G20 15° 3 wood
PING Karsten 22° 4 hybrid
PING Karsten 5-PW UW
PING Glide 54°, 58°
Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 V-Line

[quote name='Hammy1808' timestamp='1430236943' post='11458463']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Who pee'd in your Cheerios this morning?

Monte is one of the most respected members/teachers on this site..... Hope you have your flame proof suit on OP cause there is a storm coming.....
[/quote]

I thought he had a good point. Monte is a great teacher and well respected. That doesn't mean you have to agree with everything he has to say or that everything he says is correct.

[quote name='thekru' timestamp='1430237719' post='11458555']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Who pee'd in your Cheerios this morning?

Monte is one of the most respected members/teachers on this site..... Hope you have your flame proof suit on OP cause there is a storm coming.....
[/quote]

I thought he had a good point. Monte is a great teacher and well respected. That doesn't mean you have to agree with everything he has to say or that everything he says is correct.
[/quote]

Sometimes it's not what you say but how you say it....

TaylorMade R11
PING G20 15° 3 wood
PING Karsten 5-PW UW
PING Glide 54°, 58°

[/quote]

[/quote]

[color=#222222]Monte is one of the most respected members/teachers on this site..... Hope you have your flame proof suit on OP cause there is a storm coming..... [/color]
[/quote]

A storm coming. Oh brother! Get out of your incubator dude, there are some real storms in this world, this will not be one of them. Do some of you need drama this bad in your lives? Beyond funny!

REPEAT.....Where did anyone say there was a magic move? Will one of your geniuses please site that, maybe it is me. Gotta be, yea its me!

All I said was that it seems that Leadbetter has come up with what seems to be an easy and repeatable swing. It just seems like good and repeatable mechanics, no magic. How could anything about golf be magic anyway? The only magic I see are some of the humerous responses here that seem to appear out of thin air.

Leadbetter has at his disposal some of the best facilities and research equipment and data. He has credibility in my book and maybe this will be the capstone of an amazing career. The videos and book are worth a look. He might be on to something. I tried the swing as I understood it for about 50 balls, and it was very easy and repeatable. Can't say I got a lot more distance out of it, but for reasons unknown was striping my fairways and hybrids, that is where I struggle sometimes

[quote name='Jacob Mac' timestamp='1430238373' post='11458655']
Have you seen this thread?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1127351-leadbetters-new-book-the-a-swing/page__hl__%20leadbetter"]http://www.golfwrx.c...hl__ leadbetter[/url]

It was a 100 times more entertaining before it was cleaned up. But it still has some good discussion, albeit incomplete because the book was not out.
[/quote]

Until one has read the book, or at least taken a few minutes to watch the video and give the swing a try, you are in a defenseless postion. This would be true for any instructor or techniuque.

It is easy to be a nayayer. No problem, if you have data or experience to back it up. Sadly, a lot of naysaying on the internet is just for the sake of it and attention seeking behavior.

I liked what Justin Rose said following his win last weekend.....something along the lines of he found some feels at the Masters that were working virtually 100%......lost some of those feels and is re-finding them each day....and is not fully back to owning them but got it done for a win.........that's golf in its essence. Hammerboy seems to have found something and wanted to yack about it. Enjoy the time you have with "it".....but inevitably you will have to "sleep" on this new feel and it will become unfamiliar.. I think what some are expressing here is DL is in charge of large marketing presence in the game like a Haney and they tend to abuse that privilege during the process of rolling dollars to their business model. Why? Because they can and it makes money. Sure there are a lots of folks who subscribe to DL .....but many will see him for his business model and past junk that he foisted upon the golfing public and be turned off.

King LTD Black CK Tensei Blue S 44”
Titleist 915f 15deg 3w Diamana 70g blue
Cobra King Forged CB ‘19 5-PW UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4i Project X Catalyst 80
Cobra F6 Baffler Rogue Black 70
Ping Glide 2.0  Stealth 50, 54, 58 SS
Kenny Giannini G6

[quote name='Hammerboy' timestamp='1430237900' post='11458587']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

A storm coming. Oh brother! Get out of your incubator dude, there are some real storms in this world, this will not be one of them. Do some of you need drama this bad in your lives? Beyond funny!

REPEAT.....Where did anyone say there was a magic move? Will one of your geniuses please site that, maybe it is me. Gotta be, yea its me!

All I said was that it seems that Leadbetter has come up with what seems to be an easy and repeatable swing. It just seems like good and repeatable mechanics, no magic. How could anything about golf be magic anyway? The only magic I see are some of the humerous responses here that seem to appear out of thin air.

Leadbetter has at his disposal some of the best facilities and research equipment and data. He has credibility in my book and maybe this will be the capstone of an amazing career. The videos and book are worth a look. He might be on to something. I tried the swing as I understood it for about 50 balls, and it was very easy and repeatable. Can't say I got a lot more distance out of it, but for reasons unknown was striping my fairways and hybrids, that is where I struggle sometimes
[/quote]

[color=#222222]You just keep looking like a real winner "dude"[/color]
[color=#222222]If you spent any time around here you would have probably safely assumed Monte knows what the "A" move entails and that's why he was giving you his "2 cents". As you see above there was a large discussion about this topic.[/color]
[color=#222222]I am all for a meaningful debate and you are allowed to have your opinion. If you think this is the greatest things since sliced bread, good for you! Just don't act like a jerk while doing it........ Like I said sometimes it's not what you are saying but how you say it......[/color]

TaylorMade R11
PING G20 15° 3 wood
PING Karsten 5-PW UW
PING Glide 54°, 58°

[quote name='firstbatch' timestamp='1430238967' post='11458747']
I liked what Justin Rose said following his win last weekend.....something along the lines of he found some feels at the Masters that were working virtually 100%......lost some of those feels and is re-finding them each day....and is not fully back to owning them but got it done for a win.........that's golf in its essence. Hammerboy seems to have found something and wanted to yack about it. Enjoy the time you have with "it".....but inevitably you will have to "sleep" on this new feel and it will become unfamiliar.. I think what some are expressing here is DL is in charge of large marketing presence in the game like a Haney and they tend to abuse that privilege during the process of rolling dollars to their business model. Why? Because they can and it makes money. Sure there are a lots of folks who subscribe to DL .....but many will see him for his business model and past junk that he foisted upon the golfing public and be turned off.
[/quote]

And what makes him any worse than these internet instructors that come and go? . They have their niche and do niche marketing just as the high profile instructors do. You identify your niche, you market to that niche, Nothing wrong with that, it is called free enterprise.

Before this gets out of hand, look at the facts. 1. Monte is correct, he said there is no magic move and there is'nt one. 2. David Leadbetter pioneered modern teaching and has a lot of responsibility for golf instructors making the money they make. 3. The A swing is a marketing concept, but the pattern is a valid one. 4. He works with Lydia Ko, who is arguably the best golfer on the planet. In her last fifty tournaments, she has won seven, had 29 top tens and made the cut in all 50. Finally, any pattern that is different in some respects deserves attention. It likely won't work for everyone but there are a lot of crappy golfers out there that would do better trying anything different than what they are doing now. Interested in hearing how this pattern helped the author of the topic. Author of the topic, Monte said absolutely nothing that was untrue, nor did he criticize Lead. Back to original programming?

[quote name='dodger' timestamp='1430239613' post='11458863']
Before this gets out of hand, look at the facts. 1. Monte is correct, he said there is no magic move and there is'nt one. 2. David Leadbetter pioneered modern teaching and has a lot of responsibility for golf instructors making the money they make. 3. The A swing is a marketing concept, but the pattern is a valid one. 4. He works with Lydia Ko, who is arguably the best golfer on the planet. In her last fifty tournaments, she has won seven, had 29 top tens and made the cut in all 50. Finally, any pattern that is different in some respects deserves attention. It likely won't work for everyone but there are a lot of crappy golfers out there that would do better trying anything different than what they are doing now. Interested in hearing how this pattern helped the author of the topic. Author of the topic, Monte said absolutely nothing that was untrue, nor did he criticize Lead. Back to original programming?
[/quote]

We all know there is no magic move, so what was added to the conversation by saying it.

IF you don't like the swing or feel it has deficiencies, I am all for discussion and learning. Someone please have at it. Merely repeating that there are no magic moves, that tells me nothing.

I have yet to read the book, and am not even sure I will change my swing, not playing all that bad these days! But, there has been a lot of anticipation on this book, and Leadbetter has produced winners. So , he has some credibility in my book and for less than the price of a good meal, the book is worth a look,

After implementing Leadbetter changes, Lydia KO is now dipping in the back swing with way too much flex in her left knee. Her hands get so deep and as a result of all of this, she has moved into a stuck position in the downswing. This was not the case with her old coach, whose tutelage and swing work got her to where she is. Natural athleticism trumps poor instruction, but only for so long...

[quote name='Hammerboy' timestamp='1430240332' post='11458957']
[quote name='dodger' timestamp='1430239613' post='11458863']
[/quote]

We all know there is no magic move, so what was added to the conversation by saying it.

IF you don't like the swing or feel it has deficiencies, I am all for discussion and learning. Someone please have at it. Merely repeating that there are no magic moves, that tells me nothing.

I have yet to read the book, and am not even sure I will change my swing, not playing all that bad these days! But, there has been a lot of anticipation on this book, and Leadbetter has produced winners. So , he has some credibility in my book and for less than the price of a good meal, the book is worth a look,
[/quote]

Calm down David. I'm sure your new publication will sell just fine.

If you watch his presentation at the PGA Show which is posted above, you'll see that all he does is put together a few long-standing swing philosophies. Married together nothing new just refined together into this new "concept" and marketed extremely well.

I'm all for helping people and if this concept helps people, I'm all for it. Like Monte says: it's no magic move.

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

[quote name='Hammerboy' timestamp='1430232788' post='11458033']

There are actually a few videos out on Youtube, where the swing is described in pretty good detail.

Don;t know if I am doing it 100% right, don't have the book, but this is clearly a very easy and repeatable golf swing.

It took about 3 swings on the range, I was able to hit some pretty decent shots. Not sure if I am interested in a swing change, but this looks to be the real thing.

[/quote]

So you took 3 swings on the range and you think you've found the real thing? Come on bro...

Please understand that David Leadbetter is perhaps the most famous and iconic golf instructor of all time. His hay-days were back in the 80's when he instructed Nick Faldo who went on to win The Masters three times and The Open Championship three times. Keep in mind though, that all of that instruction was done long before the new ball flight laws were even discovered. So it can be argued that his success came without even fully understanding what causes a ball to fly the way it does.

Coming to this forum and starting a thread about David Leadbetters swing is actually pretty funny. Yes, we know who he is and most of us are familiar with his teaching principals. It's nothing new. Starting this thread is similar to someone going to an all Republican forum and starting a thread asking if anyone has heard of a guy named Ronald Reagan.

Anyway....I hope the Leadbetter swing works out for ya. Go to the range and hit a few more balls though. If you can take it past the honeymoon stage then congrats.

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

[quote name='Steve Ryan' timestamp='1430244243' post='11459469']

[/quote]

So you took 3 swings on the range and you think you've found the real thing? Come on bro...

Please understand that David Leadbetter is perhaps the most famous and iconic golf instructor of all time. His hay-days were back in the 80's when he instructed Nick Faldo who went on to win The Masters three times and The Open Championship three times. Keep in mind though, that all of that instruction was done long before the new ball flight laws were even discovered. So it can be argued that his success came without even fully understanding what causes a ball to fly the way it does.

Coming to this forum and starting a thread about David Leadbetters swing is actually pretty funny. Yes, we know who he is and most of us are familiar with his teaching principals. It's nothing new. Starting this thread is similar to someone going to an all Republican forum and starting a thread asking if anyone has heard of a guy named Ronald Reagan.

Anyway....I hope the Leadbetter swing works out for ya. Go to the range and hit a few more balls though. If you can take it past the honeymoon stage then congrats.
[/quote]

Where does the OP say anything about knowing who Leadbetter is and his reputation ? And he's not asking about what he taught in the 90s - he's asking about his new publications on the 'A' swing. You did read the thread title ? A little condescending are ya ?

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

[quote name='lefty57' timestamp='1430245045' post='11459623']
[quote name='Steve Ryan' timestamp='1430244243' post='11459469']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Where does the OP say anything about knowing who Leadbetter is and his reputation ? And he's not asking about what he taught in the 90s - he's asking about his new publications on the 'A' swing. You did read the thread title ? A little condescending are ya ?
[/quote]

OP wasn't very clear about that.

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

[quote name='martynbirch' timestamp='1430247604' post='11459933']
I tried this new swing of Leadbetters and look what happened to me!!! Asking for my money back...
[/quote]

LMAO

IMO the A swing will produce lots of EE and eventual hooks. I understand the concept. It's basically to back people into a corner physically so they are forced to shallow the shaft and come from the inside.

Very good initial results, poor long term.

Marty, this is for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtVWZKEuKH0&sns=em

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

[quote name='MonteScheinblum' timestamp='1430248528' post='11460049']
[quote name='martynbirch' timestamp='1430247604' post='11459933']
I tried this new swing of Leadbetters and look what happened to me!!! Asking for my money back...
[/quote]

LMAO

IMO the A swing will produce lots of EE and eventual hooks. I understand the concept. It's basically to back people into a corner physically so they are forced to shallow the shaft and come from the inside.

Very good initial results, poor long term.

Marty, this is for you.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtVWZKEuKH0&sns=em[/media]
[/quote]

Honestly interested from your perspective as to how this will produce lots of early extension and eventual hooks. Could you please provide some specifics ?

If this is the case, what can someone who reads the book or gets A swing lessons and decides to commit to this swing do to prevent these issues.?