2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Leadbetters A Swing

Hammerboy

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bought the book also. Will see where it leads. Have tried this before with the stack & tilt, swing surgeon, etc. swing surgeon only one that was easy to implement. Still a sceptic but what the h3ll...

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Love the A Swing grip. It keeps me from overpowering my top hand

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

Well I intended to give 'The A Swing' a go once I finished with June's club events. Now
I am kind of wondering, reading the forums comments gives me pause for concern.

I have read the articles, viewed the various videos and spent some time on Leadbetter's
A Swing site. Also I am now on my second reading of the book.

I find that a number of the traits of The A Swing are something I already do. I do think
that The A Swing being defined as an approach and that variations for individuals is
expected along with that absolute positions/alignments are limited only to impact makes
this a viable option for me to consider.

I have tried a few swing attempting to mimic the entire describe approach, the short and mid
irons seems to be easy to adapt too, the hybrids, fairway woods, and driver have not enjoyed
the success. But then this is probably a total of 21 balls on the range.

I hoping to hear more from those who are making The A Swing journey...

Keep the posts coming.

Question about the A Swing Grip?

I'm still plugging away with the A Swing, still loving it.

I don't seem to be sore at all after a round of golf, not like I was with a traditional swing. I do notice however, that my right hand will be sore after playing. The middle (larger) knuckles on my right hand of my middle and ring finger, will be sore when I finish playing. Similar to if I jammed them playing basketball, or they feel like they need to pop, but won't.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any tips?

I notice the grip promotes more of a right hand finger grip, but it sure does put the hurting on those 2 fingers for me.

Thanks for any tips.

What's In The Bag 

Driver:  Cobra LTDx 9*  ||  FWs:  Cleveland 3 Hy-wood 18*

Hybrid:  Titleist TS2 23*  ||  Irons:  Srixon Z565 6-PW

Wedges*:  Cleveland 588 RTX CB 50*/10* & 58*/12* Black Pearl  ||  PutterΨPing Anser 

Ball: Pro V1x, Srixon Q-star tour, & Kirkland    ||  Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite white/royal

[quote name='bph7' timestamp='1432524817' post='11621214']
[quote name='mattwood' timestamp='1432524522' post='11621188']
Why do I have a hard time believing that you are really interested and not looking for another opportunity to be negative. Must be a personality trait. The book has been out, what, a couple of weeks? Does your handicap drop significantly in that amount of time? Do your swing changes bring big of a change to your scores in that time? It seems that it just chides you that some people are really having some success with this since it seems to be your personal mission to denounce it.
[/quote]

You are reading way too much into this bro. Just asking a question. Multiple instructors on here lower handicaps by multiple strokes after a couple lessons, so based on some of the responses in this thread, I'd expect similar results. I'm just asking, I'd expect that many people have reduced their caps by a couple strokes, wouldn't you based on some of the responses? I hope people are getting better, I'd doesn't bother me at all, I'm just curious about what levels of succes we are talking about.
[/quote]

If david leadbetter showed up on these forums people like you would s*** your pants. The only reason instructors post of these forums is because they aren't successful not to be, they need the exposure.

[quote name='TMTGolf7' timestamp='1435012714' post='11813606']
[quote name='bph7' timestamp='1432524817' post='11621214']
[quote name='mattwood' timestamp='1432524522' post='11621188']
Why do I have a hard time believing that you are really interested and not looking for another opportunity to be negative. Must be a personality trait. The book has been out, what, a couple of weeks? Does your handicap drop significantly in that amount of time? Do your swing changes bring big of a change to your scores in that time? It seems that it just chides you that some people are really having some success with this since it seems to be your personal mission to denounce it.
[/quote]

You are reading way too much into this bro. Just asking a question. Multiple instructors on here lower handicaps by multiple strokes after a couple lessons, so based on some of the responses in this thread, I'd expect similar results. I'm just asking, I'd expect that many people have reduced their caps by a couple strokes, wouldn't you based on some of the responses? I hope people are getting better, I'd doesn't bother me at all, I'm just curious about what levels of succes we are talking about.
[/quote]

If david leadbetter showed up on these forums people like you would s*** your pants. The only reason instructors post of these forums is because they aren't successful not to be, they need the exposure.
[/quote]

Wow welcome. If those "unsuccessful" WRX instructors post in this thread will you S*** your pants?

Bridgestone J33R speeder 652X
Titleist 910f 15 diamana kai'li s
Ping G30 5 wood S tour spec
Ping G30 7 wood S tour spec
Mizuno MP 37 s300 P-3
Wishon 575 mmc cavity P-4 Aerotech I95 moi'd
Callaway Mac Daddy 2 tg 54° 60°
Scotty Cameron black studio design I 2001 (stolen haven't found replacement)

Introducing the A Putt by David Leadbetter (sorry I was watching an lpga event and couldn't resist)

Titleist TSR2 8.25* w/Mitsubishi Diamana GT 60S
Titleist TSR2 15* w/VA Composites Nemesys 75S
Taylormade Stealth 2 Hybrid 19* w/VA Composites Nemesys 90S
Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-PW w/Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist SM9 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/Project X LZ 6.0
Edel EAS 2.0 Putter
Vice Pro

Just read book and tinkered with the swing at range....really puts me in a good position at top.

With my old swing I was always a little quick and often stuck to inside.

So far this new move is working. Slower backswing and transition.

Taking it to the course today to see if it holds up!!!

[quote name='hdcp0' timestamp='1435413074' post='11844180']
Just read book and tinkered with the swing at range....really puts me in a good position at top.

[/quote]

Curious, how easy was it to implement on the course?

[quote name='Jersey golfer' timestamp='1435444151' post='11846326']

[/quote]

[/quote]
It feels a little funky at first. Takes a while to get it smoothed out. But this is the most fun i have had playing golf .. ever. Have not hit a slice in a month. Was 1 under on back nine earlier on in the week. Consistently breaking 80. If you are looking for simplicity and consistency I would say go for it. I am a convert. Its not a gimmick even if some of the trolls on this website beat up on it. It works !!

[quote name='dodger' timestamp='1430239613' post='11458863']
Before this gets out of hand, look at the facts. 1. Monte is correct, he said there is no magic move and there is'nt one. 2. David Leadbetter pioneered modern teaching and has a lot of responsibility for golf instructors making the money they make. 3. The A swing is a marketing concept, but the pattern is a valid one. 4. He works with Lydia Ko, who is arguably the best golfer on the planet. In her last fifty tournaments, she has won seven, had 29 top tens and made the cut in all 50. Finally, any pattern that is different in some respects deserves attention. It likely won't work for everyone but there are a lot of crappy golfers out there that would do better trying anything different than what they are doing now. Interested in hearing how this pattern helped the author of the topic. Author of the topic, Monte said absolutely nothing that was untrue, nor did he criticize Lead. Back to original programming?
[/quote]

She didnt use the A-swing in all those tournaments.

I must say that I am genuinely taken aback by the vitriole directed at David Leadbetter in this, and companion threads! Here's my own two cents! I had the great privilege of having a 3 hour session with David Leadbetter (part of a charity auction package won by my spouse and given to me as an anniversary gift), about five years ago; then only having played golf for a very short time. My swing and my swing thoughts were a mess. On the day of that session, I was a nervous wreck, thinking that I was in over my head, and doubting that the folks at the Leadbetter Academy would provide much empathy. Instead, when I arrived early morning for my 3 hour session, I was warmly greeted by Sean Hogan who put me through a series of warm-ups and an evaluation. About a half hour later, I was introduced to David. David patiently covered the fundamentals with me, grip, alignment, etc, moving to basic swing sequence. At all times during that sesson I was of the opinion that David Leadbetter (and Sean) were genuinely interested in making even this beginner into a better golfer - and they did! My 3 hour session with David lasted over 4 hours; and my golf game permanently improved - supplemented by the Leadbetter swing setter, instructional books and dvd's, all of value!

Now, along comes the "A swing." I do find the grip and backswing different from that which I was taught at Championsgate. And, I do remember David telling me that I had to settle on just one swing, and to stop the "paralysis, through analysis", spawned by watching, listening, and reading The Four Magic Moves, Jim Hardy, Shawn Clement, Michael Breed, [i]et al.[/i]

Nevertheless, I am now tempted to give the A swing a try; this, because I know David to be genuinely concerned with advancing the skills of [u]every[/u] golfer, not just tour pros!

One final anecdote from my session with Leadbetter! As you stroll through his practice complex, there appears on the wall of the entranceway, the Sharpie signatures of just about every major name in golf over the past 40 years, wtih Greg Norman's at the top, Nick Faldo, Nick Price, Ernie Els - and on and on. Looking at David, I remarked that I had a Sharpie with me and would be happy to sign on my way out - that was the only trepidation I saw in David that whole session!

Clearly, I'm a believer!

[quote name='lyate' timestamp='1435923771' post='11881036']
I must say that I am genuinely taken aback by the vitriole directed at David Leadbetter in this, and companion threads! ...
[/quote]

The internet breeds the anonymous nature of this contempt. You can't hold anyone accountable for their statements. Reminds me of the old cartoon that showed two dogs at the computer, one saying to the other..."on the internet, no one knows you are a dog."

DRIVER - Callaway Epic Max SL, 9*, Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green (50gm, 5.5 tipped 1" @44.5"); Tensei CK Orange 60 Regular tipped 1" @ 44".

3 WOOD - Taylormade M5 Titanium 15*, Tensei CK Orange 70 regular; Tour Edge C722 15* Ventus Blue 6s 
5 WOOD - Tour Edge C721 19* Ventus Red 6s
HYBRID - Callaway Super Hybrid 20*, Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
IRONS - Srixon ZX5 (ver 1) 5-AW, Mercury Tour Pro-Kevlar firm; Tour Edge C722 5-AW, KBS TGI 80 Stiff
WEDGES - Ping Glide 4.0 54W, Glide 60T, both Ping ZZ115
PUTTERS - Yes! Rachel Tour, Bobby Grace Ollie HSM, Bobby Grace Smart Fit (KBS CT tour shaft), Bettinardi BB-1, Toulon Long Island, all at 34.5"

[quote name='barryw710' timestamp='1435446663' post='11846526']
[quote name='Jersey golfer' timestamp='1435444151' post='11846326']

[/quote]

[/quote]
It feels a little funky at first. Takes a while to get it smoothed out. But this is the most fun i have had playing golf .. ever. Have not hit a slice in a month. Was 1 under on back nine earlier on in the week. Consistently breaking 80. If you are looking for simplicity and consistency I would say go for it. I am a convert. Its not a gimmick even if some of the trolls on this website beat up on it. It works !!
[/quote]

It has been a couple of weeks. How is the A Swing holding up? Any difficulties utilizing it with woods?

Still love the grip.

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

I bought the book a month or so ago. Reading through it I was struck by how much of the "A" swing was actually part of Leadbetter's teaching method from the 90's.

For about five years years in the mid-late 90's I was coached on-off by Dennis Sheehy who was Lead's European Director of Instruction at Sand Moor GC in Leeds, Wyke Ridge and Garforth Driving Range before he moved Stateside. He worked extensively with Lead as Faldo remodelled his swing.

I certainly recall (and have video of) being taught to start the swing by pushing the left shoulder down, an early wrist set taking the club back fairly vertically, and to feel the shallowing out of the the plane at the start of the downswing. It was pretty much the Nick Price move. A short backswing with very connected arms worked well on the range but I always fought a disconnect at the top and an overswing based upon the desire to hit the ball as far as I could.

The other thing was the release of the club and shaft angle through the ball was the same angle as the backswing of the A Swing is now, i.e / not \.

It certainly worked as I came down from 15 to 8 pretty rapidly before I started to get the chipping yips which caused me to quit the game for nearly 12 years.

Back to the present and I started again and purely by chance my backswing featured club head outside the hands, clubface echoing the spine angle, more vertical backswing plane. No overswing as I am now 53 not 37.
My ball striking improved before I got in my own way and started scooping and bottoming out behind the ball.

Using the A swing model I am back to hitting my irons well, higher, longer and with better control. I like the feeling of being very connected and a short, compact swing.

Time will tell. I don't like all of it as I like a more conventional top of the backswing position, don't want to mess with my neutral grip and I go to see my club pro.

Thjat said, certainly with irons it seems to work. My GC2 numbers have improved, I am hitting the ball further with less sidespin, more ballspeed and better launch angles. I now have a soft draw rather than a push fade.

For chipping/pitching I prefer to ignore the A swing and be a bit more natural and less forced.

I also incorporate some of the A swing for the driver but not all of it because I worry I might come in a bit steeply.It also strikes me that there is an element of stack and tilt about it.

Just my experience.

For all the Leadbetter haters, I also like the philosophy of Monte Scheinblum, he talks a lot of sense about synchronisation and arm swing. His short game video is excellent.

[/quote]

You were already scratch with your old swing, maybe all you needed was the intention to slow down your backswing and transition to get a little more synched up. Best of luck to becoming an even better player than you already are.

Cobra LTDx LS Diamana B 70
TEE CB4 Tour 15° Attas T2
SLDR 3H Speeder HB 9.8

Honma TW 737 P 4 iron
Honma TR 20V 5-PW PX LS
Vokey SM7 52° & 58°
Tour Issue Toulon Austin

I went through what Monte was describing in terms of the right shoulder and EE not with the A swing but simply trying to shallow more and come from the inside. It took me about six months to develop a bad move and about a year and several lessons with a local pro to get my shoulders working properly again. The thing I hated is that it would show up in pressure situations like a tight driving hole. I bounced many balls off rooftops until I finally got it fixed.

I say do whatever makes the game more fun for you.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X