Hilts,

I bought the kindle book and went for a lesson in Leeds UK where I live, best thing for me is keeping the club head outside the hands but the pivot is the key.

Struck it well this year and even won a trophy to boot, coincidence maybe but hey a trophy is a trophy

Lots of range work and little drills, but hitting a little longer so will carry on through the winter.

Cheers hope it helps

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='millerman' timestamp='1448402043' post='12641934']
Hilts,

I bought the kindle book and went for a lesson in Leeds UK where I live, best thing for me is keeping the club head outside the hands but the pivot is the key.

Struck it well this year and even won a trophy to boot, coincidence maybe but hey a trophy is a trophy

Lots of range work and little drills, but hitting a little longer so will carry on through the winter.

Cheers hope it helps
[/quote]

Millerman,

Thanks for your feedback. Did you find that the lesson helped or do you think that if you read the book and put work in on the 7min practice routines/range is enough? I'm going to be in Orlando in March and thinking about booking a lesson at champions gate LGA. I had some success with the A-swing early in the year and moved away from it but after thinking about my season my iron play was definitely better utilizing the A-swing and want to commit to it this winter.

Thanks,

Dbogey

Ping G400 Tour S
Ping G400 14.5
Ping G 19*
Ping G 22*
Ping I200 5-P (PXLZ 5.5)
Power spec
Vokey 50,54,58

Odyssey 3T P2 GP Tour Snsr Stright

[quote name='bph7' timestamp='1448144759' post='12629014']
[quote name='rossonero' timestamp='1448144166' post='12628972']
Can not really understand all the fuzz, and that people think Leadbetter is trying to make a marketing stunt on a swing that not works. Yes - it has been promoted the book, just a lot of other stuff in the golf world like new drivers that are hitting longer or training aids that give you more yards. For all it is the same - for some it will work for other it will be waste of time and complete BS. It is just like religion what you believe and what you think is the best way of doing it.
[/quote]

Well perhaps the lack of any posts on this topic for three months means the ppl have spoken?
[/quote]

Yes, only the members of GolfWRX matter.

[quote name='Dbogey' timestamp='1448426482' post='12643774']
[quote name='millerman' timestamp='1448402043' post='12641934']
Hilts,

Cheers hope it helps
[/quote]

Millerman,

Thanks for your feedback. Did you find that the lesson helped or do you think that if you read the book and put work in on the 7min practice routines/range is enough? I'm going to be in Orlando in March and thinking about booking a lesson at champions gate LGA. I had some success with the A-swing early in the year and moved away from it but after thinking about my season my iron play was definitely better utilizing the A-swing and want to commit to it this winter.

Thanks,

Dbogey
[/quote]

Dbogey,

What surprised me when I saw my swing was I was no where near the backswing plane although it felt like that, and my swing was still long.

The lesson helped with shortening my swing and although I wasn't on the one side of the A it was better than what I used to do.

If I'm honest the range and the lesson made me feel the swing better than the 7 min exercise.

Hope this helps

Regards

[quote name='thekru' timestamp='1448469239' post='12645142']
[quote name='bph7' timestamp='1448144759' post='12629014']
[quote name='rossonero' timestamp='1448144166' post='12628972']
Can not really understand all the fuzz, and that people think Leadbetter is trying to make a marketing stunt on a swing that not works. Yes - it has been promoted the book, just a lot of other stuff in the golf world like new drivers that are hitting longer or training aids that give you more yards. For all it is the same - for some it will work for other it will be waste of time and complete BS. It is just like religion what you believe and what you think is the best way of doing it.
[/quote]

Well perhaps the lack of any posts on this topic for three months means the ppl have spoken?
[/quote]

Yes, only the members of GolfWRX matter.
[/quote]

Agreed.

• 2 months later...

I went back to the A swing for two practice sessions this weekend. I was making great contact with my irons. Consistent shot shape and distances.

Anyone else still trying the A swing?

Ping G425 Max w/Accra FX-250 M3 shaft
Taylormade AeroBurner Mini Driver 14 degree
Ping G30 5, and 7 Wood
Titlist VG3 Type-D 5-PW irons w/Nippon Zelos 7 shafts
Cleveland RTX-3 CB 48, 54, 58 (all 2 dot)
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 putter

I went back to the A swing for two practice sessions this weekend. I was making great contact with my irons. Consistent shot shape and distances.

Anyone else still trying the A swing?

Still using it here. I was able to play a lot in the past, now business is going good so I haven't been on the course near as much as I used to. The nice thing is, I played a few times last July, then not until Dec 2015, 2 times, then 3 times in Jan 2016 and once in Feb. So not anywhere NEAR as often as I'd like, but I'm still using the A swing and it's really nice to have a consistent swing. I'm very pleased with it. Seems like less moving parts, less to think about which is really nice when I don't get out and play as often as I'd like.

1W, 3HL, Taylormade SLDR C, Sldr
Irons... Ping G30 4-UW
Wedge... Cleveland 900 Low Bounce Rusty SW
Putter...Odyssey WHP 2-ball
Ball... Hi-viz yellow
[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/gigemaggs"]http://www.gamegolf....layer/gigemaggs[/url]

It is really good to hear that some have had success with the A Swing. It might not be everyones cup of tea, but this is a journey for sure,, and you can do it on your own with a decent map, and the Leadbetter book is clear, and concise. Just one way to swing.

You can improve your swing by reading a book or watching a video, I lent my A swing book to a neighbor, he swears by it. Different strokes for sure.

Even if you don;t follow the approach to the letter, or even half the letter, a lot of good tips and common sense with the book.

• 3 months later...

I have decided to go back to the swing. I did not play any golf over the winter as I live in Canada. Since starting the season in April until now my handicap has gone from 9 to 13. I have had a bad case of the pot Hooks and very consistent play with my irons and woods.

Given that I have been striking it bad I decided to reread the a swing and put it into play on my last round. While I did have some bad shots with it noticeably hit the ball better off the tee and if it wasn't for my putting I would have had my lowest round of the year. I am going to stick with this for a while.

Of interest for me is that I went to my local golftown golf store recently. And was hitting both drivers from TaylorMade and pain. I went back the next day using the same simulator and same drivers but this time swinging with the a swing and I noticed a lump in my ball speed of about 6 miles per hour which represents probably about a 4 mile an hour increase in swing speed. This has me very excited and I will continue to work on his swing for a while.

I tried doing the a swing a bIt it didn't work for me.(have the book)

My back and forth hack works better for me than steep to shallow artificial movement.

I guess calling Bobby Jones swing artifical seems funny to me at least.

Here's Bob JOnes

He takes it back waaaaaaaaaaay inside. That's not the a swing bs.

See ball hit ball
KISS

Played again today 2nd round focusing on this swing. Only had 2 bad drives the whole round and only 2 snap hooks the whole round. Messed up a few holes as inserted to have gained a club of distance. Caused me to overshoot 3 greens leaving me in tight recovery spots. Also hit 5 wood on one dog leg that has always left me short of a fairway bunker with an 8 iron approach. Today same 5 wood had me fly the bunker and end up having to hit out of trees making double.

So far contact and distance is better. Still having slight pulls and pushes but things are tightening up.

Think with some practice this will be the swing to keep. Feels low maintenance. If I pivot right then c0ck up the club I feel I can just turn through and the ball takes off.

I am no longer worried about how to take it back and the downswing feels effortless.

I really wonder why some people in this thread have decided to make fun of this swing and ridicule it when a lot of people who have tried it have had success. If you haven't read the book and you haven't watched any of the videos related to it then all you were doing is adding an uninformed opinion. The fact of the matter is that most of the principles in the book are actually standard classic type of instruction. The main things that are different really have to do with the grip which is effectively week or in the right-hand as well as the Takeaway. And what you will notice is that a lot of the pros actually have a Takeaway where the hands are quite in and the clubhead is quite out so in fact they are already doing elements that are part of this swing. So please I implore you that in less you have some Think positive to contribute in this thread please don't just post to mock something in less you have sincerely tried it and found it did not work for you

I tried doing the a swing a bIt it didn't work for me.(have the book)

My back and forth hack works better for me than steep to shallow artificial movement.

I guess calling Bobby Jones swing artifical seems funny to me at least.

Here's Bob JOnes

He takes it back waaaaaaaaaaay inside. That's not the a swing bs.

You dont understand the A-swing or Bobby Jones then, obviously.

Strange to see so many on here ripping the A Swing considering Lydia Ko was one stroke from winning 3 LPGA majors in a row.

To be fair, she did pretty good before any A-swing stuff and she is a short hitter with it.

if she had 30 more yards from tee which is entierly doable with some adjustements to her a-swing she be dominating even more.

there is a slight timing addition for Lydia vs her old motion with the A-swing.(more movement)

I really wonder why some people in this thread have decided to make fun of this swing and ridicule it when a lot of people who have tried it have had success. If you haven't read the book and you haven't watched any of the videos related to it then all you were doing is adding an uninformed opinion. The fact of the matter is that most of the principles in the book are actually standard classic type of instruction. The main things that are different really have to do with the grip which is effectively week or in the right-hand as well as the Takeaway. And what you will notice is that a lot of the pros actually have a Takeaway where the hands are quite in and the clubhead is quite out so in fact they are already doing elements that are part of this swing.

You can report users like the Hoganstriker or others that derail and troll threads.

Mods normally take a serious stance vs such behaviour here.

And you took notice what Hoganstriker didnt understand and dont understand but he oh he thought he knows his stuff.

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

I agree. Let's get some before and afters up to show people's progress. The teachers/methods that have worked and are respected have tons of them on here from students. I'm sure based on all the vast improvements being claimed we should be able to have plenty up and learn from those who have implemented Haney's A swing.

Why should anyone need to post their swing to prove anything to you? Your "mission" as you have stated previously is to debunk Leadbetter and apparently other instructors based on your posts. We are so lucky to have you watching out for us. :cheesy:

2016 Taylormade M2 9.5* w/Fujikura Pro 60 stiff
Titleist 917 F3 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 stiff
Callaway RazrX Tour stock shaft stiff/Mizuno MP-30 2 iron with Rifle 6.0 shaft
Bridgestone J 40DPC w/Aerotech Steelfibers 95 r
50*, 54*, 58* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125
Odessey White Hot #5

I agree. Let's get some before and afters up to show people's progress. The teachers/methods that have worked and are respected have tons of them on here from students. I'm sure based on all the vast improvements being claimed we should be able to have plenty up and learn from those who have implemented Haney's A swing.

Why should anyone need to post their swing to prove anything to you? Your "mission" as you have stated previously is to debunk Leadbetter and apparently other instructors based on your posts. We are so lucky to have you watching out for us. :cheesy:

I never said anything about "debunking" this. When asked that I actually said the opposite. Nobody has to do anything, I just think it would make the thread more interesting and get it going in the right direction. As I've said, I have no doubt that lots of people improved a lot, so it shouldn't be hard to get some videos posted up.

I don't think you can use lack of post as a reference b/c all the swing threads are dead. I've never seen it so slow on Golfwrx, just a few of us left I guess.
  • 2 months later...

Just started w A Swing from YouTube vids and Golf Digest this week. Got the book last night. Read most of it. Hit a few small buckets after work during the week and did some mirror work. Played this morning. Although I had a brain full of mechanics (i.e., playing golf swing) and and was apprehensive with the weird feeling new move, shot 75 - a 3.2 cap round. I am a 5.3 cap currently. It works for me so far. Much more consistent and especially with driver. Easy to learn. Feels a little funky at first. But, thus far, two thumbs up. FWIW.

• Callaway Mavrik 10.5 (-1); AD XC 4S; 45”; D1
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; AD DI 6S; 43” and 42”; D1
  • Titleist 818 H1 3H-21; Tensei CK Pro Blue 70S; 40”; D1.5 (alternates with 4i)
  • Mizuno MP 20 MMC 4-PW; KBS C-Taper Lite R; +1/4 (+1/2 @ grip end); D1.5-2
  • Titleist Vokey SM8 50F w KBS C-Taper Lite R PW; 54S and 58S w Modus 105 Wedge; all +1/2"; D2.5-4.5
  • Trying Cleveland CBX2 48 w KBS C-Taper Lite R PW; and CBX2 54 and CBX Full-Face 58 w Modus 105 Wedge
  • John Byron 1999 Dale Head 2 Copper; 35.5/72

Just started w A Swing from YouTube vids and Golf Digest this week. Got the book last night. Read most of it. Hit a few small buckets after work during the week and did some mirror work. Played this morning. Although I had a brain full of mechanics (i.e., playing golf swing) and and was apprehensive with the weird feeling new move, shot 75 - a 3.2 cap round. I am a 5.3 cap currently. It works for me so far. Much more consistent and especially with driver. Easy to learn. Feels a little funky at first. But, thus far, two thumbs up. FWIW.

I'm glad this works for you. I tried it for a while and just cannot shallow the club this way without EE. I play much better when I feel like I'm swinging a baseball bat. Flat, around, turn hard left and post up on that front foot.

It may work for me because my arms tend to go back flat but I used to get the club back behind me and laid off and haven't been good enough to make that work or even stop doing it. This lets the arms be flat, which is comfortable to me, but gets club upright more. Leadbetter calls it a flat upright swing which is how it feels. Much better position for me. And, I always tended to be a pivot driven guy - A Swing lets me do it with better results. Appreciate that it certainly isn't the swing for everyone. Go with what works. Play well.

• Callaway Mavrik 10.5 (-1); AD XC 4S; 45”; D1
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; AD DI 6S; 43” and 42”; D1
  • Titleist 818 H1 3H-21; Tensei CK Pro Blue 70S; 40”; D1.5 (alternates with 4i)
  • Mizuno MP 20 MMC 4-PW; KBS C-Taper Lite R; +1/4 (+1/2 @ grip end); D1.5-2
  • Titleist Vokey SM8 50F w KBS C-Taper Lite R PW; 54S and 58S w Modus 105 Wedge; all +1/2"; D2.5-4.5
  • Trying Cleveland CBX2 48 w KBS C-Taper Lite R PW; and CBX2 54 and CBX Full-Face 58 w Modus 105 Wedge
  • John Byron 1999 Dale Head 2 Copper; 35.5/72
  • 4 months later...

About halfway thru the book and finding it a good read. Took it out to the range for first time today and I think I like it. As a professional reference it's not like Jim Furyk with the right elbow fying high on the BS. It's a lot more like Nick Price with the compact and connected arms BS, followed by a distinct shallowing of the plane at the early stage of the DS.

Ping G400 10.5 Ping Tour 65
Ping G400 14.5 Ping Tour 75  
Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85
Callaway Apex Mixed Combo 2021 4 - AW KBS $-Taper
Yururi Tataki 52.5 & 60.5 KBS Hi Rev 125
Ping Anser 2 Milled
NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
Titleist ProV1X 
UA Jordan Spieth 2
Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)

Day 2 at the range with it. Got consistent enough from wedge to mid iron decided to give the driver a try. Oh boy was that rough at first. Plenty of pull hooks. Then realized YOU HAVE TO use the prescribed lower hand over taking the higher one turning higher one into "cupped" position if you're going to hit good drives with this method. No room for "roll release" here

Ping G400 10.5 Ping Tour 65
Ping G400 14.5 Ping Tour 75  
Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85
Callaway Apex Mixed Combo 2021 4 - AW KBS $-Taper
Yururi Tataki 52.5 & 60.5 KBS Hi Rev 125
Ping Anser 2 Milled
NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
Titleist ProV1X 
UA Jordan Spieth 2
Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)

Day 2 at the range with it. Got consistent enough from wedge to mid iron decided to give the driver a try. Oh boy was that rough at first. Plenty of pull hooks. Then realized YOU HAVE TO use the prescribed lower hand over taking the higher one turning higher one into "cupped" position if you're going to hit good drives with this method. No room for "roll release" here

How's the driver working out now?

Callaway Big Bertha B21 9*

Callaway Big Bertha B21 15*

Callaway Big Bertha B21 18*

Callaway Big Bertha B21 4-LW

Odyssey White Hot OG #1

Callaway Chrome Soft X Triple Track