WWE wrestling thread

MtlJeff

Can we have a thread? Does anyone else watch?

I'm 33 and watched WWF growing up during the Bret Hart era, which was the early Shawn Michaels and Undertaker years. I got back into it because i have some friends that watch and i'm somewhat hooked again. I've been watching all the pay per views for the past couple of years.

I really like a lot of the storylines and characters. My wife totally does not get it....watching WWE is my secret shame

Im going to Monday Night RAW in Montreal on Monday with a few friends

Is Roman Reigns theme my cell phone ringtone? Yes it is

Is Sheamus's new theme my alarm every morning? Yes

Anyone else watch WWE?

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't watched for years but I also grew up in the good old WWF days. The Undertaker was my favorite even though Paul Bearer was annoying. I always thought Shawn Michaels entrance music was funny as hell. I can remember the Ultimate Warrior, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Kane, Mankind, DX, man I used to stay up every Monday on a school night watching. My dad was into it at that time also and took me to a couple Monday Night Raws in Cleveland. Maybe I'll have to check it out again.

I was into it for a while and then stopped watching for like 10 years. When my friends at work talked about it i never really cared....but then i started watching and i'm hooked again LOL. I watch Raw every week and all the PPV's

The Seth Rollins character is outstanding...and there's some other good young guys. I like Roman Reigns, Wyatt, I love where they're going with Sheamus...etc etc...

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

As far as I'm concerned, Brutus the barber beefcake was the only wrestler with any integrity.

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

It's hilarious that this topic was started today. Mattjud and I just exchanged PM's today about Ric Flair, because Mattjud's avatar is amazing......

and because if you wanna be the man, YOU GOTTA BEAT THE MAN! WOOOOOOOOO! WOOOOOO!

I used to watch when I was a kid and then my brothers and I would act out the matches until one or all 3 of us was bleeding profusely. Some great memories about those days.

When i was in high school one of our votes for school president was basically spoiled because a lot of people wrote on their ballot "Ric Flair wooooooooo!!!" because people stopped caring about a mostly useless position

Ric Flair actually finished in 2nd for out school president race one year

good memories

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Jeff you and I are about the same age and your story sounds like mine. Loved it growing up then went to college and quit watching. Just recently started watching again. My gf's best friend and his wife watch and we were at their house and I just watched a bit then started following it again. I do miss the old days though, the stone colds, brett harts, the rocks, mankind and all of them. The old DX and NWO were great as well.

I was a huge goldberg fan. Heard a rumor that he may be involved in MITB coming up but I would be surprised if he did.

From todays wrestlers, I gotta say Im an Ambrose fan. I didnt start watching til after all the shield stuff so I dont really know him from before. Also a Randy Orton and Lesnar fan.

I watched when it was WWF vs WCW or Raw vs Nitro. My step son was into it for a while and I tried to get back into it but I just can't. I will flip over and watch a few minutes but all the new stuff pales in comparison to when the Texas Rattlesnake, The Rock, nWo, etc were patrolling the squared circle.

There was a good article on grantland yesterday about the young talent. I like Ambrose too but his character I find is kind of ambiguous, I hope they tinker with it a bit. He's definitely the former shield guy who's getting the least push these days. But I like Reigns too...and Rollins is great because he's getting boo'd while fans simultaneously agree he's the most talented. So it shows how good an actor he is

One of the guys coming up soon from nxt should be sami zayn, who is from Montreal and one of my friends has met a couple of times. Apparently a nice guy. He could be another Daniel Bryan type

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1430411120' post='11473637']
There was a good article on grantland yesterday about the young talent. I like Ambrose too but his character I find is kind of ambiguous, I hope they tinker with it a bit. He's definitely the former shield guy who's getting the least push these days. But I like Reigns too...and Rollins is great because he's getting boo'd while fans simultaneously agree he's the most talented. So it shows how good an actor he is

One of the guys coming up soon from nxt should be sami zayn, who is from Montreal and one of my friends has met a couple of times. Apparently a nice guy. He could be another Daniel Bryan type
[/quote]

Canada has produced some great talent over the last 30 years

Bret Hart,Owen Hart,Edge,Christian,Jericho,Lance Storm,Tyson Kidd,Bobby Roode,Eric Young

Zayn will probably make some kind of appearance on Monday. We're hoping he gets to be the weekly challenger for John Cena's open title challenge (which he would obviously lose, but it would be fun)

We have pretty good seats, should be fun

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I still watch WWE every week. I catch TNA every once in awhile. They have some good talent, but whoever writes for them is mostly horrible. They can't maintain storylines. (Ex: you push The Wolves mega by having them beat The Hardys and Team 3D in that amazing tag challenge series only to then lose to the Revolution...stupid). I've gotten into Lucha Underground. Those guys are crazy.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

[quote name='shakey' timestamp='1430711754' post='11493457']
I still watch WWE every week. I catch TNA every once in awhile. They have some good talent, but whoever writes for them is mostly horrible. They can't maintain storylines. (Ex: you push The Wolves mega by having them beat The Hardys and Team 3D in that amazing tag challenge series only to then lose to the Revolution...stupid). I've gotten into Lucha Underground. Those guys are crazy.
[/quote]

The Wolves were champs a few week ago. Had to forefit the belts due to Edward breaking his heal. The Hardys won the belts however Jeff Broke his Leg last week.

[quote name='TheGameChanger' timestamp='1430713732' post='11493549'][quote name='shakey' timestamp='1430711754' post='11493457']
[/quote]

The Wolves were champs a few week ago. Had to forefit the belts due to Edward breaking his heal. The Hardys won the belts however Jeff Broke his Leg last week.[/quote]
At least TNA was smart enough to let the Wolves get the belts back before the injury. Edwards is wrestling again so it will be interesting to see what happens.

With their random tapings schedule, how far off is the taping vs the airing? I'm just wondering how long the Hardys were champs on tv? Kind of like Samoa Joe announcing on Twitter he had left the company, but still being on tv for weeks due to episodes being taped beforehand.

Speaking of Samoa Joe...he should be showing up on NXT soon according to the rumors.

Thank the lord (other deities are available) there are other grown men who still enjoy WWE. Back in the 70’s and 80s there used to be a Saturday lunchtime wrestling programme on ITV which contained all the British ‘greats’ such as Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks. When there wasn’t any British wrestling on they showed WWF and I was hooked from then.

We get all the WWE programming on this side of the Atlantic and whilst I cant say I watch every minute Ill certainly make sure I know the results of each programme. Sadly the PG era isn’t as exciting for me but there are certainly some great performers out there. I don’t think anyone can beat Paul Heyman or Bray Wyatt on the mic.

Talking of Heyman, I would recommend seeking out the Mike Awesome (RIP) vs Masato Tanaka at the first ECW One Night Stand PPV - one of the best matches I have ever seen.

"Carol Vorderman..... I was watching her the other day .....and I got aroused...............7 letters ... not bad for someone who left school at 15"

Gotta love Peter Alliss!

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1430448685' post='11477479']
Zayn will probably make some kind of appearance on Monday. We're hoping he gets to be the weekly challenger for John Cena's open title challenge (which he would obviously lose, but it would be fun)

[/quote]

Your Boy looked Real good last night. When the Hitman came out I damn near fell off the couch. One of my favorite wrestlers of all time.

[quote name='GrAvEL_eXpReSs' timestamp='1430841106' post='11502895']

[/quote]

Your Boy looked Real good last night. When the Hitman came out I damn near fell off the couch. One of my favorite wrestlers of all time.
[/quote]

He wrestled the whole match injured. I'm not sure what they showed on TV but he popped his shoulder out very early on, they called a doctor to his side early in the match during a commercial I believe. Hard to know what was shown. We thought it might have been part of the story to help him lose to cena, but he was really hurt and is getting tests today apparently

It was a GREAT show. Vince and triple h made appearances, bret hart. Etc

The loudest reaction by far of the night ( not counting Zayn) was still John Cena, who played the crowd beautifully. Dean Ambrose was up there, I think he will figure even more prominently as a main eventer going forward.

Seth Rollins is a master showman too

Roman Reigns is divided right down the middle, he gets very loud cheers or boos depending on situation. He had no chance to get support against Orton

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1430845017' post='11503345']
[quote name='GrAvEL_eXpReSs' timestamp='1430841106' post='11502895']

[/quote]

[/quote]

He wrestled the whole match injured. I'm not sure what they showed on TV but he popped his shoulder out very early on, they called a doctor to his side early in the match during a commercial I believe. Hard to know what was shown. We thought it might have been part of the story to help him lose to cena, but he was really hurt and is getting tests today apparently

It was a GREAT show. Vince and triple h made appearances, bret hart. Etc

The loudest reaction by far of the night ( not counting Zayn) was still John Cena, who played the crowd beautifully. Dean Ambrose was up there, I think he will figure even more prominently as a main eventer going forward.

Seth Rollins is a master showman too

Roman Reigns is divided right down the middle, he gets very loud cheers or boos depending on situation. He had no chance to get support against Orton
[/quote]

You guys (the Crowd) Was wildly entertaining when Cena initially came out and did the whole never give up thing. it Was awesome when Bret Hart hit heath slater in the head with the Mic. Michael Cole briefly mentioned the shoulder injury saying he injured it in during his entrance to the ring. I also seen on t.v the ref put the rubber gloves on but that was about it. Hell of a match.

-Sheamus and Bad News after their victory over "little fellas"
-Dean Ambrose about to take on Rollins
-Roman Reigns/ Randy Orton at the beginning of the show

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

What was interesting too was that we all assumed they decided to cut the Divas match short due to timing issues (they started a bit late and seemed at risk to go long)....but they still had the Stardust/R-Truth match.

The Bella Twins got a huge ovation , huge! Maybe the 3rd biggest of the night (and we were sitting right in butt shaking view).

We were all wondering why we had to sit through a Stardust/R-Truth match but couldn't see the Bellas

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• 3 weeks later...

Jeff, I'm almost twice your age, and started watching wrestling in the 1950's. I remember all of the big stars from back then, Bruno Sammartino, Bobo Brazil, Dr. Jerry Valentine, Lou Albano, and it is so different now. My wife is in PR, and did the local publicity for two Wrestlemanias in Chicago. I went with her once when she booked a local radio interview on WGN. They had a couple of wrestlers being interviewed, including a very young Inter-continental Champion named Rocky Maivia. He could not have been nicer. I was lucky enough to have dinner with Honky Tonk Man and again with Sgt. Slaughter. Both were really nice guys.

Funny story, my wife had booked Honky Tonk Man on a local TV station, and while he was changing into costume, I asked Bob Collins, who at the time was VP Marketing for WWE, what we should call him. Bob looked at me and said, "Honky Tonk Man."

Quick side note, I'm in institutional fixed income sales, but when I started in the investment business, I was working retail for Dean Witter. My office's compliance officer was the daughter of The Crusher.

^^^ Nice! I've generally heard good things about the Rock too

In other news, looks like Kevin Owens is getting a nice push in the big leagues. Like i mentioned above i wasn't surprised that Sami Zayn ended up getting a match at RAW in Montreal, but i was for sure surprised to see Owens show up on RAW and get a match at Elimination chamber.

Owens is another Montrealer. I think they are bringing him up because they need more heels, and he really plays a good heel.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1432591306' post='11624442']
^^^ Nice! I've generally heard good things about the Rock too

In other news, looks like Kevin Owens is getting a nice push in the big leagues. Like i mentioned above i wasn't surprised that Sami Zayn ended up getting a match at RAW in Montreal, but i was for sure surprised to see Owens show up on RAW and get a match at Elimination chamber.

Owens is another Montrealer. I think they are bringing him up because they need more heels, and he really plays a good heel.
[/quote]

Steen/Owens has something about him. Unlike most of the wrestlers these days.

In glad Samoa Joe finally showed up. Now if AJ Styles would come over.

I've always had this thought that a fatal four way with AJ Styles, Daniel Bryan, Austin Aries, and CM Punk would have been amazing. With Bryan hurt and Punk gone, maybe put Seth Rollins in there. Can't figure out the fourth now.

• 3 weeks later...

Sad to hear about Dusty Rhodes passing away this morning. RIP American Dream.

^^^ Yup indeed. Some of these legends influenced so many of the young guys. I'm sure they'll do some kind of tribute at MITB or next week

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[color=#800080]I started watching when i was young with my dad , but when WCW flipped Hulk Hogan into a heel , that really started it for me. Every week both WCW ands WWF were must watch shows. I watched every minute of them , unlike these days which have moments but nothing likes those shows. Plus ECW was a little thing that was entertaining. [/color]

[color=#800080]I knew a guy who got wrestlers to come do signings , so i saw many of them. I met Kevin Nash , Scott Hall , X-Pac , Bret Hart , Trish Stratus , Lita , Maryse , John Morrison , Raven , Abyss , Kurt Angle , Mick Foley , RVD , Velvet Sky , Angelina Love ,Virgil , Mickey James , Mean Gene , Jeff Hardy , etc ands so forth. I even have a fake apple signed by Carlito.[/color]

[color=#800080]Then i saw the Big Show do a signing in a mall ands in person that guy is so big. This was when he had long hair ands just came to WWF. I think every single wrestler i haves met has been nice ands willing to talk to you. Kurt Angle did not mind being ribbed for the skit on Raw when he wore the little cowboy hat to sing to Vince. Mick Foley is willing to chat. I was a vendor with my dad at a wrestling show ands Tommy Dreamer stopped at the tables to randomly introduce himself. There was a former WWF referee next to us as a vendor guest ands i asked whether they knew the match outcomes beforehand. He said a lot wanted to , but he did not because he wanted to be surprised just like the fans ands to make his reactions more believable. Abyss talked to my dad for probably 20 minutes.[/color]

[color=#800080]The only two that were not so friendly were Rob Van Damn ands X-Pac who both looked drunk or high on somethings. Also , Kevin Nash complained a lot.[/color]

[color=#800080]For the most part , i will say most wrestlers *get it* when it comes to the fans. It is probably the only big time thing that almost all of them are willing to give time to so many fans. Even the Undertaker , who a paramedic who worked a Raw said was willing to sign stuff for him ands talk to him. He is just protected from doing many signings since i was told the WWE asks a major amount of money to have him come out.[/color]

[color=#800080]I also sell ands collect wrestling stuffs. I have two Sting Facepaint cards (event worn facepaint) ands a dual Hulk Hogan / Ric Flair Autograph card that is numbered to only five made. Plus a lot more stuff.[/color]

I was very young for that....but I remember when Lex Luger slammed Yokozuna!

Deschamps Crisp Antique