2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Played Chapel Hill yesterday at the last minute. Haven't been there in at least 5 years. Greens and fairways were green. Rough was brown and dusty. Certainly a course you can score on, but any slips can cost you dearly. I didn't remember how small the greens were. That 703 yard par 5 is loooooooong.... Especially with the hills and trees all around. I'd go back again. Can't beat $20 with a cart.

A very nice round at Wilmette this morning. The course was wet from the rains last night, but still very playable. The greens were a bit slower than usual, but not unbearable. I got a chance to play with two wonderful ladies, and we had a grand time. The fact that one of them looked like Danielle Kang's older sister was an added bonus. :D I swear they have to be related.

I had an excellent day ball striking, hitting 12 fairways and 10 greens. Four scrambles and 2 birdies helped offset the four bogies. I should have hit several more greens, but I put a new ball into play today, a Callaway Chrome Soft, and the silly thing had no consistent distance off my irons. I swear it had a 15 yard range on a well struck fairway shot, which is a no-no if you're used to a ball flying a specific distance.

I think I found a secret to solid tee shots, wear dress shoes and try not to sweat. Lol. Seriously, I had a wedding rehearsal out in Lisle late yesterday afternoon, so I decided to head out early and stop at Golfsmith in Downers Grove to regrip my irons. While I was waiting I hit a number of drivers in the simulator. I was wearing some nice clothes, and the AC in the place wasn't quite keeping the place cold. I didn't want to work up too much of a sweat, and I couldn't get much traction in my dress shoes, so I simply put an easy swing on each ball. Holy smokes. I know the simulators can jack the distances a bit, but 90% of the shots were beautiful baby draws ranging from 250 to 275 yards. I was trying to channel that swing today, and it seemed to pay off.

Off to the International Crown tomorrow, and then I'll pay my first visit to Willow Glen on Sunday morning.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

The gas tank is empty. Lol.

I played Willow Glen for the first time today. It's a rather forgettable course. It has a few quirky holes, and while playable, is not the best option in the area. The course was quite wet from yesterday's rains, so there was little roll out. The fairways were spongy, and the rough had a few too many weeds for my liking. The bunkers were wet, and had little sand. The greens were sloooow. 'Left most putts woefully short. Not sure why, but they had the pin in the front on 60% of the holes. Shots left short were basically stopping dead in the wet fairway grass.

'Just didn't have a game today. The combination of walking 18 on Friday, 16 1/2 at the Merit Club yesterday, the high temperatures and humidity, and two late evening events over the past few days left the tank dry. I joined preiter20 again today, which is always a pleasure, but we pretty much stunk up the place. We were melting by the 18th hole. A handful of excellent shots could not overcome the really poor ones. My ball striking was awful, hitting only 5 fairways and 7 greens. I managed to birdie 8 and 9 to shoot 3 over on the front, but a quick double, bogie, double, bogie to start the back was all she wrote. The icing on the cake was straining my back on #17 when I bent over to pick up a ball to identify it. Ugh.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Balmoral Woods yesterday afternoon in the heat. I recommend getting out and playing this course while you still can as rumors abound that it could be closing soon.

One of the toughest courses in the Chicago area, always a fun challenge.

Course continues to be in great shape, but yesterday was rough with sweltering conditions combined with a waterlogged course. Ended up with an 85 which I'm more than happy with at that place. I've been on the wrong side of 100 at this course.

UL Crown last week was a BLAST! Match Play is such a fun format to watch as a patron, and working as a marshal is a great way to get in on the action.

Heading to Deere Run for a preview of the course in JDC condition. If anyone is looking for an excuse to make the trip, it's $70 after noon.

Practice round is Bartlett Hills Friday

Playing Blackberry Oaks this p.m.

Played there Saturday...greens were plush but very slow. Hopefully the moisture is out and they play a bit faster.

Totally agree with your comment on the greens. I left so many mid range putts short (made a comment to my playing partner "it's like hitting on velcro". Front 9 was a disaster - a 53 with a 10 and 9 on 2 holes. Played okay in back with a 43.

15 hcp

Played there Saturday...greens were plush but very slow. Hopefully the moisture is out and they play a bit faster.

Totally agree with your comment on the greens. I left so many mid range putts short (made a comment to my playing partner "it's like hitting on velcro". Front 9 was a disaster - a 53 with a 10 and 9 on 2 holes. Played okay in back with a 43.

One thing I'll never understand about BBO is the range and the reasoning behind why they basically have you hitting balls out of the rough. I've asked Chad and never received a logical answer. Can't think of any range in the Chicago area that has that long of grass as the primary area to warm up.

One thing I'll never understand about BBO is the range and the reasoning behind why they basically have you hitting balls out of the rough. I've asked Chad and never received a logical answer. Can't think of any range in the Chicago area that has that long of grass as the primary area to warm up.

Village Links has a shaggy range.

Yeah, I noted that as well. Must half chunked my 1st 5 warmup swings with a 9 iron. How difficult could it be to mow this area. Overall, though, I do like the course.

15 hcp

Played a quick 18 after work today over at Foxford Hills. Haven't played their since my leagues mid season outing. Are the greens usually that beat up looking halfway through the season? They putted well just a ton of ball marks and just didn't look that smooth. Although it was late in the day after who knows how many groups were on them.

Thin skin day at Stonewall Orchard. Played with two old friends. We had a blast, laughing, telling stories and needling each other. A few times other groups told us to be quiet. We weren't that loud. Join a private course:)

They said this on the course or in the clubhouse?

On the course. They yelled it from another hole.

Looks like Indian Lakes is closing. They're allegedly losing $1M/year.

:( That's a bummer:(

Indeed. I rather enjoyed this course.

Sad news.

Interesting to see what future of the golf course will be

Our company has had outings there for the last 30+ years

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

We played Island/Woodland (??) at Indian Lakes today, after hearing it was a goner after this season we figure we'd finally get a round in out there. I dunno how this course has been over the years but they are obviously letting the thing go, the greens were crap, the tee boxes were a mess and the general condition of the course was poor. the course itself had a lot of really fun holes. I was thinking about playing the third 9 after the round but I was wiped out after the 18. My game was okay, driving was strong hitting 12 fairways but I only hit 12 greens and in general just didn't score well around the greens. Some of it was due to the poor green conditions but most of it was me. Overall a good day on the course.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy