Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

I'm playing Prairie Bluff tomorrow. I bought myself a Christmas present and now I need to take my MP-5 5-7 irons for a spin.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

I reached out to Naperville Country Club for membership options and pricing. I'm 28 so quality for the lowest tier pricing for initiation fee and monthly dues/expenses. Attached is the membership packet.

I've calculated the per month price to be 460.48 without figuring in the initiation fee.

However, once I turn 31, the price jumps up to 714.68 per month without the initiation fee.

Some of their annual costs see like they should be included in the monthly dues price (range fee, locker). Am I off base with this assumption?

NCC is literally right across the street from my home but there's a certain value that convenience provides until it's not worth it.

Any other private clubs in the area worth checking out?

I reached out to Naperville Country Club for membership options and pricing. I'm 28 so quality for the lowest tier pricing for initiation fee and monthly dues/expenses. Attached is the membership packet.

I've calculated the per month price to be 460.48 without figuring in the initiation fee.

However, once I turn 31, the price jumps up to 714.68 per month without the initiation fee.

Some of their annual costs see like they should be included in the monthly dues price (range fee, locker). Am I off base with this assumption?

NCC is literally right across the street from my home but there's a certain value that convenience provides until it's not worth it.

Any other private clubs in the area worth checking out?

White Eagle is worth checking out...

Decompressing during the holidays thinking about how far south I would have to move to be able to golf year round (> 40 dog F minimum) and not suffer through ridulous heat and humidity in the summer. Sort of the "Goldilocks zone" for golfers year round. Chattanooga to Asheville to Hilton Head? Tired of snow and cold.

Decompressing during the holidays thinking about how far south I would have to move to be able to golf year round (> 40 dog F minimum) and not suffer through ridulous heat and humidity in the summer. Sort of the "Goldilocks zone" for golfers year round. Chattanooga to Asheville to Hilton Head? Tired of snow and cold.

I guess it depends on whether you mean playable every day, or 90% of the days. It was 35 degrees for my two rounds in Dallas on the 15th. The following Sunday the temps dropped into the 20's. Of course, its 82 degrees there right now. Grrrr. I think southern Florida and Arizona are the only real safe bets.

However, I could probably live with a 90% success rate.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I guess it depends on whether you mean playable every day, or 90% of the days. It was 35 degrees for my two rounds in Dallas on the 15th. The following Sunday the temps dropped into the 20's. Of course, its 82 degrees there right now. Grrrr. I think southern Florida and Arizona are the only real safe bets.

My overly analytical mind is now on a quest to find a '90%' area of the country to live. Off to weather.com.

California?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I got in 18 at Prairie Bluff and shot a 78. Considering the course was frozen and there was a really stiff breeze either in my face or at my side for 15 of 18 holes, I'll take that score. The guy I played with insisted on carrying in spite of having a Kliq Gear in his trunk. He then proceeded to twist his foot on the second hole, which probably wouldn't have happened had he been rolling his cart on the path. I felt bad but when he finally gave in and took a break on the 13th hole, I sat with him and then started a six hole par streak to finish the round. For the first 8 holes, we were the only dummies on the course, but there was a group teeing off on one as we were finishing up nine. As we wrapped up, there was a twosome on the fourth tee. It wasn't that cold (about 39 degrees) but the wind was strong, constant, and almost never helping me out. Frozen greens made it impossible to stop the ball early on but Bluff softened up with the sun out all morning. The course itself was in great shape and was still really green. The fact that it got a layer of snow on it before the ground froze kept the grass in good shape despite the cold days we've had this December (they must have cut the tee boxes right before the snow came). I'm guessing after it rains on Sunday nor Monday then turns cold, that'll be the end of green grass at Chicago area courses. It should be playable on Saturday, so I'll probably be at Dunne, Sanctuary, or Deer Creek.

Piretti Cottonwood II

I got in 18 at Prairie Bluff and shot a 78. Considering the course was frozen and there was a really stiff breeze either in my face or at my side for 15 of 18 holes, I'll take that score. The guy I played with insisted on carrying in spite of having a Kliq Gear in his trunk. He then proceeded to twist his foot on the second hole, which probably wouldn't have happened had he been rolling his cart on the path. I felt bad but when he finally gave in and took a break on the 13th hole, I sat with him and then started a six hole par streak to finish the round. For the first 8 holes, we were the only dummies on the course, but there was a group teeing off on one as we were finishing up nine. As we wrapped up, there was a twosome on the fourth tee. It wasn't that cold (about 39 degrees) but the wind was strong, constant, and almost never helping me out. Frozen greens made it impossible to stop the ball early on but Bluff softened up with the sun out all morning. The course itself was in great shape and was still really green. The fact that it got a layer of snow on it before the ground froze kept the grass in good shape despite the cold days we've had this December (they must have cut the tee boxes right before the snow came). I'm guessing after it rains on Sunday nor Monday then turns cold, that'll be the end of green grass at Chicago area courses. It should be playable on Saturday, so I'll probably be at Dunne, Sanctuary, or Deer Creek.

I did not realize PB was open in the winter.

15 hcp

It's open as long as there is no snow on the course. To the best of my knowledge, the following Chicago area courses are open as long as there is no snow coverage or the snow is limited to the sand traps:

Dunne

Sanctuary

Deer Creek

Cog 1, 2, and 3

PB

Highland Woods

Sunset Valley (policy might change with their proposed re-design but I doubt it)

Fresh Meadows

White Pines (?)

Marovitz

St. Andrews and the Jemsek Course are open year round with or without snow on them.

Piretti Cottonwood II

It's open as long as there is no snow on the course. To the best of my knowledge, the following Chicago area courses are open as long as there is no snow coverage or the snow is limited to the sand traps:

Dunne

Sanctuary

Deer Creek

Cog 1, 2, and 3

PB

Highland Woods

Sunset Valley (policy might change with their proposed re-design but I doubt it)

Fresh Meadows

White Pines (?)

Marovitz

St. Andrews and the Jemsek Course are open year round with or without snow on them.

Thanks for this listing. Hopefully, there is a day or two where one can squeeze a round or two between now and March,

15 hcp

Dunne

Sanctuary

Deer Creek

Cog 1, 2, and 3

PB

Highland Woods

Fresh Meadows

White Pines (?)

Marovitz

Add Orchard Valley to the list. Got an email last week stating they are open

Walked 18 at Wedgewood in Plainfield / Joliet yesterday which remains very playable. Tee boxes & greens were both cut before it got too cold so are both in pretty good shape all things considered.

Despite the temps in the upper 30's only the top half inch or so was thawed which made for bone hard lies & much hilarity seeing a well hit iron bounce 10' in the air off the surface of the green. On the other hand fairway roll was epic.

Edit: Forgot to add winter rates @ $15 to walk can't be beat.

11 weeks away but just booked a trip to RTJ... Capitol Hill Senator and Judge on Friday, Oxmoor Valley and Ridge on Saturday and Ross Bridge Sunday morning before heading home.

Gives me some motivation to start my new iron build...

TRS 3 / Ping Max 10k Ventus Red TR 5s - Ventus + Blue 5s - TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

11 weeks away but just booked a trip to RTJ... Capitol Hill Senator and Judge on Friday, Oxmoor Valley and Ridge on Saturday and Ross Bridge Sunday morning before heading home.

J Money, what's on the Illegal Iron Hot List for 2017??? Do share.

BTW, you'll love the trail. Great courses...extremely reasonable cost.

I really like the opening hole at The Judge. It reminds me of the opening hole at Lost Marsh. Don't hit more than a 7i off the tee, or you'll be in the junk if you're not dead straight.

4f1defaaf4790a5243d8f03625010baa.jpg

Ross Bridge is a great course. 'Good way to finish the trip.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

J Money, what's on the Illegal Iron Hot List for 2017??? Do share.

BTW, you'll love the trail. Great courses...extremely reasonable cost.

2016 Titleist VG3 irons...JDM :)

Yeah all 5 rounds averages out to $55 per and that's including Ross Bridge which I think is around $125.

I really like the opening hole at The Judge. It reminds me of the opening hole at Lost Marsh. Don't hit more than a 7i off the tee, or you'll be in the junk if you're not dead straight.

4f1defaaf4790a5243d8f03625010baa.jpg

Ross Bridge is a great course. 'Good way to finish the trip.

7i off the 1st tee on Judge, noted.

TRS 3 / Ping Max 10k Ventus Red TR 5s - Ventus + Blue 5s - TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

Dunne

Sanctuary

Deer Creek

Cog 1, 2, and 3

PB

Highland Woods

Fresh Meadows

White Pines (?)

Marovitz

Add Village Green in Mundelein to that list for the very far north suburb people.

It's not much of a course, but hey, they're open.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Just signed up to play a few of the Golfweek Am Tour events this coming year. Anyone else playing in them or have experience with them in the past?

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

Just signed up to play a few of the Golfweek Am Tour events this coming year. Anyone else playing in them or have experience with them in the past?

Been wanting to. Will probably play some this year.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Since it's been too cold to play for the last week, I did the next best thing and bought a new driver. Now I can stare longingly at that for the next couple of months as I wait for things to warm up. Also, just a heads up but if anyone wants to demo the Epic or Epic SZ at the PGA Superstore, you need to wait until the 27th when it gets officially released. I had no interest in buying it (ugly RBZ-style green paint, hokey name, and cheap stock shaft are big turn-offs) but I at least was hoping to demo it for comparison's sake.

I'm planning on going to the Northern Illinois Golf Expo next week after a range session at the Buffalo Grove Golf Dome. That expo replaces the old DuPage County Golf Expo, which had an incredible amount of inventory at very low prices. Balls, gloves, tees, and shoes were dirt cheap there in the past so I'm hoping for more of the same this year. I'll probably also hit up the Chicago Golf Show at the Rosemob Convention Center but that's strictly a people-watching experience.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Since it's been too cold to play for the last week, I did the next best thing and bought a new driver. Now I can stare longingly at that for the next couple of months as I wait for things to warm up. Also, just a heads up but if anyone wants to demo the Epic or Epic SZ at the PGA Superstore, you need to wait until the 27th when it gets officially released. I had no interest in buying it (ugly RBZ-style green paint, hokey name, and cheap stock shaft are big turn-offs) but I at least was hoping to demo it for comparison's sake.

I'm planning on going to the Northern Illinois Golf Expo next week after a range session at the Buffalo Grove Golf Dome. That expo replaces the old DuPage County Golf Expo, which had an incredible amount of inventory at very low prices. Balls, gloves, tees, and shoes were dirt cheap there in the past so I'm hoping for more of the same this year. I'll probably also hit up the Chicago Golf Show at the Rosemob Convention Center but that's strictly a people-watching experience.

I wish it would have stayed in DuPage since Grayslake is so far away. I'll wait for the Tinley expo which takes place the 2nd weekend in Feb.

15 hcp

I'm planning on going to the Northern Illinois Golf Expo next week after a range session at the Buffalo Grove Golf Dome. That expo replaces the old DuPage County Golf Expo, which had an incredible amount of inventory at very low prices. Balls, gloves, tees, and shoes were dirt cheap there in the past so I'm hoping for more of the same this year. I'll probably also hit up the Chicago Golf Show at the Rosemont Convention Center but that's strictly a people-watching experience.

For anyone who has been to all 3 expos how does this one compare? Found a lot of good deals the first day at rosemont, was a little disappointing in the tinley park expo last year. Thanks!

Through the years, I've been to all three. the one in rosemont is the largest by far but it's dominated by golf destination booths plus by by the time you pay for parking and admission, you are already out approx. $30. The Tinley one is the smallest with the fewest golf dest. booths but it is cheap to get in - free parking.

The best one, imo, was the Dupage expo (which is apparently being replaced by the Northern Illinois expo). It did have the best deals and was not dominated by golf dest, booths. Parking was free and admission on the Friday was like $5.00.

The last year I went to this there was hardly anyone there and kinda know then it would be the last year it would be held in DuPage.

The key to attending any of these expos is to go the 1st day and early.

15 hcp