2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Harborside Starboard tomorrow morning. It's been relatively dry this week, so I figured I'd get a round in before the rain makes it CPO. They've reopened the front nine on the Starboard course, but I don't know if they've completed the bunker renovation yet. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

work golf outing this afternoon at Chevy Chase.

haven't played since August 2003, which was after the renovation.

I guess they've done some drainage work since then, and the greens are supposed to be in awesome condition

I'll report back...

with my terrible round last friday at Blackstone, I need to hit the range first, so I'll stop at the Des Plaines center on my way there

office is in Des Plaines...

closer to home, Pine Meadow's practice facility solid, and I like the bunker/big practice green/short game area you mentioned, Wboy

Thunderhawk next Friday.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

What is everyone's favorite range? Hard to beat St Andrews.

My favorite around is probably Blackstone as they have true green like targets to aim for.

I rarely pay attention to range quality though, I usually just need a place to hit the ball and get a feel for my swing again rather than trying to dial in at targets, which is probably why I end up at Fresh Meadows or Oak Brook most of the time. Two of the flattest, most undefined ranges out there.

Harborside Starboard tomorrow morning. It's been relatively dry this week, so I figured I'd get a round in before the rain makes it CPO. They've reopened the front nine on the Starboard course, but I don't know if they've completed the bunker renovation yet. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

no they haven't. I'm assuming the bunkers that are still crap are being removed.

What is everyone's favorite range? Hard to beat St Andrews.

My favorite around is probably Blackstone as they have true green like targets to aim for.

I rarely pay attention to range quality though, I usually just need a place to hit the ball and get a feel for my swing again rather than trying to dial in at targets, which is probably why I end up at Fresh Meadows or Oak Brook most of the time. Two of the flattest, most undefined ranges out there.

You rarely pay arrention and usually leave a few clubs on the range. "Hey where's my 9 iron?"

Playing Bowes Creek tomorrow using the Groupon deal they had. Hopefully I'll get at least 27 holes in. Have to bail early to get back in time for a concert tomorrow night. Weather looks beautiful!!

Played Bowes for the first time this week. Course was in excellent condition but I didn't really care for the layout. For the price of that course I dont see myself going back.

Playing Bowes Creek tomorrow using the Groupon deal they had. Hopefully I'll get at least 27 holes in. Have to bail early to get back in time for a concert tomorrow night. Weather looks beautiful!!

Played Bowes for the first time this week. Course was in excellent condition but I didn't really care for the layout. For the price of that course I dont see myself going back.

Played 27 today before I had to get myself back home. Conditions were great and I loved the layout. Bunkers are fun and great to look at. What didn't you like? Greens didn't hold much, but rolled on the slower side. Really enjoyed myself out there. People that work there were very nice. Pace was under 4 hours. Price was great because of the Groupon deal... But I'd pay $55 or less to play out there... Although it's a good hour south of me. A few pics. 115c7a75cf594f2147dee9f47c781531.jpg5535e00ffeedb280c7d34ffce03fea8e.jpg9e99c74a0cf06510676a24d8163c0664.jpgd765d482cd2d30bb69a47b8198945f5e.jpgf95220b4480bc48dc0a5f00782dd814c.jpg

I'm going to be out in Kirkland, IL next Saturday afternoon, so I figured I'd play a round out that way. It's located between Rockford and Dekalb. Any favorite courses out that way? I was looking at Sycamore GC, but they don't allow singles to book. There's also Hughes Creek GC in Elburn. I guess I could always play a round in the Rockford area (Sandy Hollow), or possibly the Byron area, and backtrack to Kirkland. Is PrairieView, Silver Ridge, or Lost Nation worth the trek?

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I'm going to be out in Kirkland, IL next Saturday afternoon, so I figured I'd play a round out that way. It's located between Rockford and Dekalb. Any favorite courses out that way? I was looking at Sycamore GC, but they don't allow singles to book. There's also Hughes Creek GC in Elburn. I guess I could always play a round in the Rockford area (Sandy Hollow), or possibly the Byron area, and backtrack to Kirkland. Is PrairieView, Silver Ridge, or Lost Nation worth the trek?

How about Aldeen? I'm not sure if you have played it before and are looking for something new, but I enjoyed it when I was there in the fall of 2015.

Played 27 today before I had to get myself back home. Conditions were great and I loved the layout. Bunkers are fun and great to look at. What didn't you like? Greens didn't hold much, but rolled on the slower side. Really enjoyed myself out there. People that work there were very nice. Pace was under 4 hours. Price was great because of the Groupon deal... But I'd pay $55 or less to play out there... Although it's a good hour south of me. A few pics. 115c7a75cf594f2147dee9f47c781531.jpg5535e00ffeedb280c7d34ffce03fea8e.jpg9e99c74a0cf06510676a24d8163c0664.jpgd765d482cd2d30bb69a47b8198945f5e.jpgf95220b4480bc48dc0a5f00782dd814c.jpg

Greens on the slower side? Bowes is a customer of mine and the super said they are running 10-10.5. How many public courses run that fast?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I like prairie view a lot. We usually trek out to play there and Aldeen one Saturday each year. I haven't played the others.

How about Aldeen? I'm not sure if you have played it before and are looking for something new, but I enjoyed it when I was there in the fall of 2015.

Yeah, I've played it before. A little tight, but definitely a great value. 'Looking for a new course.

Greens on the slower side? Bowes is a customer of mine and the super said they are running 10-10.5. How many public courses run that fast?

I don't know. They just didn't seem to be running as quickly as I have experienced there in the past. Just my opinion.

PrairieView is always my choice in the area.

Silver Ridge was purchased a few years ago after being neglected and the new owners have done a pretty good job of bringing it back. Greens are a little slow but has some interesting holes and elevation changes. I've only played Lost Nation once and would go for Silver Ridge but am kinda partial to Silver Ridge since it was the first non par 3 course I played.

Haven't played Sandy Hollow this year but they've had a take quite a few trees out due to ash bores and it has changed the course quite a bit.

Prairieview is my favorite out there.

Course itself was tough especially for anyone that hits it right. Not overly wide fairways and up one side is pretty much water that runs the entire length of the hole. Then other side is tall native grass. Experience that throughout almost every par 4 and 5 through first 10 holes. Then you get to back nine which for me layout i like a bit better. Then you get to 11 which is a tight tree line with slight dog leg right. Just didn't flow right with the rest of the course design. Shot 78 which isn't terrible but it just seemed like I was fighting for my life off every tee. But I agree course conditions were great.

Had opposite interactions with the staff though. It was terrible minus the bag drop who had my clubs promptly ready. Starter on the tee was already barking at us to be ready to go while there was a group on the tee that was waiting for a group hitting their second in the fairway. Another ranger barking at pace of play while we were a twosome waiting on a foursome in front of us on every shot and no groups behind us. At the turn the grill was so backed up because restaurant staff were so slow a large group of play defected to the grill to get served. Another ranger barking to get to the tee when the people ahead of us were in line in front of me to get hot dogs. Just overall not a great experience so it may have soured my opinion a bit. Conditions we're great but that's about it for me.

I don't know. They just didn't seem to be running as quickly as I have experienced there in the past. Just my opinion.

They were fast to me. Rolling smooth 10.5 easily. To me it was comparable to country club speeds. Wouldn't consider them slow unless your consistently putting on greens that are 12

Played a double header yesterday, Mt Prospect early (6:36am tee time), then Arlington Lakes in the afternoon (2:16 tee time). Hit 8 of the first 9 fairways at Mt Prospect, then didn't hit another one after that. Ended up with a 93. Arlington was meh.

Fast forward to this morning, and I decide to head out to Arlington Lakes again (6:16 tee time, still was slowed by play), get confused for a single digit handicap player, and shot the round of my life. I was with a young kid, and his father, who didn't play, and on the 18th tee, he asked me if I was a single digit player. Struck me as odd, as I am usually in the low 90s, sometimes upper 80s, but again, was playing well. While Arlington Lakes is a par 68 layout, I managed to shoot a 78 (first time ever in the 70s, think my previous low was an 84 at Arlington Lakes, actually). Managed to dunk 2 in water, taking penalties, and even had a triple on a hole that I topped a tee shot, then struggled to get to the hole. Went 40-38, and managed 29 putts.

Sportsman yesterday after work. The greens are a little slower than they've been this season, but I bet they did that on purpose because they weren't holding any shots when they had them running really fast. Shot 40-42-82 with a heckle and jeckle type of round. Hit 10/13 fairways and chipped 5 balls to 1 foot for up and downs, but irons were missing left and right and my putting continues to be a atrocious. I doubt I made 15 feet worth of putts the entire day.

Going back out there today at 1, with the discount card and having my office down the street it really has become my go to course here in town. I'm losing the desire to drive an hour to play places like HOE, Ravisloe etc.

'Very nice, Buddha!

Be careful what you ask for. You may receive it. I got out on Harborside Starboard this morning. The course is in excellent shape, and the conditions were near perfect. There were very few renovated bunkers on the early holes, but then a few started popping up. They looked great, and the sand was incredibly fluffy. Heck, almost too fluffy. Lol. I was in the left fairway bunker on the 9th, and I was sinking down in the sand. It's definitely going to take some getting used to. The worst of the bunch was the left bailout bunker on the par 3 13th. I hit a high draw that hit pretty hard. When I walked up to it in the bunker, it was at least 1 inch below the surface of the sand. This wasn't a fried egg. It was buried treasure. I closed the club face on my sand wedge, and with a might gouge managed to move the ball six inches. I'm definitely going to have to consider max bounce wedges if the remaining bunkers wind up like this. There were a handful of bunkers that had mounds of dirt in them, and it appears they'll be filled in and sodded over. A few more had the base of the bunker exposed with no sand. The base looks like very small round rocks, but it's solid. 'Almost like walking in an empty pool.

20170603_113330s.jpg

'Pretty poor round ballstriking today. 7 fairways and 7 greens is just not up to snuff, especially in such calm conditions. I scrambled for 5 pars, putted fairly well, and hit the flagstick with my approach to #11, leading to a sole birdie. Otherwise it was a day to forget.

Lost Marsh tomorrow morning. I'm hoping the winds remain calm, but I have a feeling it might be a real test out there.

I played Countryside Traditional and Blackstone today. I used to be a lot better at going to the gym for 90 minutes on Friday evening, then being out until 12:45 AM on Friday night before waking up at the butt crack of dawn on Saturday to walk 36 holes in the heat but I survived. I used to loathe Countryside Traditional because of the amount of times people would almost hit me while I was on holes 8 and 9 despite not bothering to say a word. However, The Bear and I got the second tee time and were able to avoid any more near death experiences. It's a decent course and I find it to be far more interesting than Countryside Prairie, but I played really poorly on the front nine. I eked out a 79 by shooting one over par on the back though.

Of all the things at Blackstone to get me, I didn't expect it to be the par 3s on the front. My ball striking was pretty good on 1, 4, 6, 7, and 9 but I bogied every 3 en route to a front nine 40. On the back nine, I got things going, birdied 11, and shot an even par 36 to shoot a 76. Temperature-wise, it might be in the high 70's to low 80's in the city, but in Marengo it was consistently 89 degrees on the course. Also, with no rain this week, Blackstone's greens were running pretty quick. It wasn't quite the 12 that they sometimes play at but they were about a 10.5 or 11.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

I would say the greens were running like 10.5 at Blackstone. Nevertheless, the course was in great shape. Also, the pace of play was terrific. We played in 3 hours and didn't have to wait once.

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II