Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Old Course. #500.   ![](https://dl.dropbox.com/s/54saiaga0udi4qv/20190424_124620.jpg "")

Been scoring in the low 70s for some time, but I had never broke 70 before. Today was the day that I finally did at Klein Creek. My putter had been hot for some time and it came through for me to get

I played the Preserve at noon on the 4th. The course is in great shape. I played really well on the front, 37. Then lost three balls on the back to shoot 46, ouch. They have to add some water coolers

The Bear and I are booked for Washington County, Mascoutin (a combo of one of the original 9s and the new 9), and Lawsonia (Links) for Monday. Given the amount of hype that Lawsonia has been given on this website - cough...Zer0...cough - I'm not sure if the course can live up to expectations. However, it's on my "must play" list in Wisconsin and I can't think of a better way to celebrate not needing to go to work again until the end of August than by playing those three courses in one day. I haven't done 54 in a day since last Memorial Day, but I'm not too worried. Washington County will be in a cart (I'm gonna feel so gross not walking such an easily walkable place) so I'll only be on my feet throughout for holes 19-54.

Mascoutin is nice (especially the new 9), but you'd be better off paying for the all day package at Lawsonia and doing 18 on Links, 18 on Woodlands and then another 9-18 on Links. I think it costs $135.

Wash Co is a nice course as well and a great bargain, but once again you'd probably be better served and would get more golf in if you just stayed at Lawsonia for the day.

Also not sure how you will make all that work in one day. It's close to 1.5 hours from Wash Co to Lawsonia and probably 20 minutes from Lawsonia to Mascoutin. Even if you tee off at 6:30 am and are done at Wash Co at 9:30 you'd be teeing off at Lawsonia at 11:30 the earliest and done at 3:30 and then I guess if you hurried you could tee off at 4:15 at Mascoutin so I guess its possible, but seems like more of a race than a relaxing day of golf. You'd play more golf at better courses and not be as rushed if you just stuck to Lawsonia all day.

Visiting my parents in Indiana this weekend, looking to catch a round before i get there. So balmoral woods or glenwoodie?

... If those are my choices I am playing Balmoral every time. Not a fan of Glenwoodie. Let me suggest one of my favorites that I drive the 1.5 hours to play several times a year. The Course at Aberdeen. The only hole you see is the one you are playing. And the layout is interesting and fun:

https://www.golfataberdeen.com

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Tensei Raw Blue 55R
TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15*  ... Tensei Raw Blue

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R

Taylormade Sim Max 22* ... Diamana Limited 65R

4-Wedge Cobra King MIM Tour ... Steelfiber 95R
Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
Mizuno T-20 M Grind 58/8*... Steelfiber 95R
Cleveland Huntington 11S ... 33.5"

Visiting my parents in Indiana this weekend, looking to catch a round before i get there. So balmoral woods or glenwoodie?

Definitely Balmoral Woods. Glenwoodie is most forgettable. Longwood in Crete is an interesting layout. The conditioning is a bit spotty, but the terrain is very hilly and visually appealing.

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 6-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

The Bear and I are booked for Washington County, Mascoutin (a combo of one of the original 9s and the new 9), and Lawsonia (Links) for Monday. Given the amount of hype that Lawsonia has been given on this website - cough...Zer0...cough - I'm not sure if the course can live up to expectations. However, it's on my "must play" list in Wisconsin and I can't think of a better way to celebrate not needing to go to work again until the end of August than by playing those three courses in one day. I haven't done 54 in a day since last Memorial Day, but I'm not too worried. Washington County will be in a cart (I'm gonna feel so gross not walking such an easily walkable place) so I'll only be on my feet throughout for holes 19-54.

Was able to get 9 holes in at WashCo on Wednesday. Before torrential rain came. Right now, it's in great shape. They have the same fescue as Erin Hills, and it appears they've tried to emulate how it's cut at the open (left thicker closer to the fairway; thinner as you get farther away). Enjoy!

... If those are my choices I am playing Balmoral every time. Not a fan of Glenwoodie. Let me suggest one of my favorites that I drive the 1.5 hours to play several times a year. The Course at Aberdeen. The only hole you see is the one you are playing. And the layout is interesting and fun:

Have you played Aberdeen lately?

I ask, because last time I was out there, the maintenance was sub-par. The greens were bumpy and they basically gave up on maintaining the bunkers. Hard-pan with weeds growing in the middle of them.

Sad to see because I agree with you, the layout is really good and fun. But it was very obvious the course was hurting for cash and shortcuts were being taken.

Titleist TSi3 9*
Titleist TS3 15*

Titleist TS3 19*, 23*
Srixon ZX5 (5-PW)
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, 58*
Piretti Cottonwood II

Have you played Aberdeen lately?

I ask, because last time I was out there, the maintenance was sub-par. The greens were bumpy and they basically gave up on maintaining the bunkers. Hard-pan with weeds growing in the middle of them.

Sad to see because I agree with you, the layout is really good and fun. But it was very obvious the course was hurting for cash and shortcuts were being taken.

... It has been about a year since I played there. Really disappointing to hear as it is one of my favorite lay outs in the Chicago area. As you know it is very rare to play holes that aren't adjacent to other holes as real estate is always a factor. A couple times playing Aberdeen we have never seen another group and it feels like you have the entire course to yourself. Thanks for saving me a long trip!

Anyone have a recommendation for a good putting instructor in the area? Just got back from Carolina / GA where I played 4 rounds at Reynolds, Pine Needles, and Tobacco Road and honestly can't isolate where the mistake on the greens is occurring. Average score over the 4 rounds was 75, 74.3% of fairways and GIR was 64% which was dragged down significantly due to Pine Needles; I only hit 6 greens that day but somehow shot 76. I averaged just under 34 putts per round and missed 40% of putts under 10 feet (44 out of 110 putts were missed) with over 2 3-putts per round.

Putting has been hit or miss for the last few years due to lack of playing but I can't remember the last time I went 4 rounds, that close together, and not be able to put a decent putting round together.

G410 LST 9.0* (Evenflow Black 75-X)

TSI2 15* (Tensei AV White RAW 75-X)

TSI2 18* (Tensei AV White RAW 90HYB)

MP18 Fli-Hi 19* (C Taper X)

MP4 4i-9i (C Taper X)

T20 48* / 53* / 58* (C Taper X / KBS Hi Rev)

Heppler Tomcat 33.5"

Playing Aldeen Saturday morning switch a group from my league. What can you guys tell a bogie golfer about the place? Looks fairly tree lined.

Considering I'm probably the only fan of Aldeen, get there early as the practice area is awesome! Depending on the yardage you play, you could hit a lot of fairway woods or hybrids off the tees. It can be tight at times but for the most part, everything is right in front of you. 2 of the par 5's are reachable and pay particular attention to the pin position on 18. You don't want to be above it. The first hole is a downhill par 5 that is very reachable in two.

The par 3's are just a bit above average. The 8th is an island-esque green and it always plays shorter than what the yardage says.

Conditions are always very good and the greens are the secondary defense of the course.

I'll let my fellow ChicagoWRX'ers rip me and the course so you'll get some opposite opinions.

Playing Aldeen Saturday morning with a group from my league. What can you guys tell a bogey golfer about the place? Looks fairly tree lined.

The front 9 is tight with target golf on a number of the holes. I feel the back is a bit more open. Need to think hard about what to hit off the tee.

Course has been in great shape when I have played there. And, #18 is a great finishing hole. One of the best in Northern IL.

Titleist TSi3 9*
Titleist TS3 15*

Titleist TS3 19*, 23*
Srixon ZX5 (5-PW)
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, 58*
Piretti Cottonwood II

... I know we have discussed this but played Naperbrook yesterday with my son and oh boy is it in ratty condition. Actually looked really nice after the rains but the fairways are a little long so it is like playing out of light rough and the greens were both slow and chewed up with 10 foot downhill putts wandering around like they were Chinese Checker boards. Had 3 birdie putts around 6' and didn't even touch the hole. They also have a bad habit of putting pins in silly spots. Their favorite is 16 and on the back tier right on top of a mound so unless you hole your putt a hair right and it breaks away from the hole and a hair left and it breaks away from the hole. When you are on the bottom tier, it is almost impossible to avoid a 3 putt with the condition of the greens.

... It is a great place to get in a practice round especially if you have a Brooks card but too many decent courses in the area to waste a round playing it seriously. Unless you need to drop your index. :slow_en:

I had a half day today at work so I got in a round at Arrowhead. I'd never played it before but there weren't many places that had openings. The course was in excellent shape and I was really impressed with the overall maintenance. I guess by paying a bit more, golfers expect better maintenance but given the amount of rain we just had, I anticipated some excess moisture in spots. There was no standing water anywhere as the drainage is fantastic. The greens were smooth and ran at about a 10 and for a parkland curse, there were plenty of picturesque holes. I was grouped with two female former college golfers and an older guy who was father of one of the girls. He couldn't play much but they sure could. Pace was a decent 4:10, but I'm looking forward to getting back to my usual sub 3 hour pace on Monday. I shot a 75 with birdies on 1 South and 17 East.

Mizuno ST190G 9° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS Stiff

Mizuno ST200 TS 15° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 917F2 18° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 816H1 21° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 Stiff

Honma TW747v 4-10 w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Honma TW W4 50°(9°)/54°(10°)/58°(8°) w/ Nippon Modus 125

Scotty Cameron GoLo 7 Dual Balance

Paw Paw Lake GC this morning. Yes, the conditioning is a bit suspect, but it's quite a challenging layout. There are long par 3s with postage stamp sized greens that are tough. The 575 yard 16th has a 50 yard deep green that is nuts. After holing out we had a putting contest from the front of the green. Closest to the back wins. Neither of us got it within 10 yards of the back. Lol. There are a number of really challenging tee shots, especially for a first time visit. It's never going to be a first class venue, but for a local track it's certainly not a pitch and putt. I was mildly impressed.

My game took a vacation today. Maybe it was a few too many beers last night in Benton Harbor. Maybe it was the rock hard mattress. Maybe it was then lack of sleep. In any case I'd rather just forget about the whole thing, and focus on Harbor Shores tomorrow. :-)

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

So we had 12 guys from league out at Aldeen today. My impressions were a nice set of par 3's and a really good finishing hole. Now I'm a higher teens HC player so it was a bit of a rough day at times. Hit lots of fairway woods off the tee, but pulled the first few which led to some doubles. Thankfully I was pin high right on 18 and got up and down for the birdie. I was going to lay up but said screw it im already putting up a high score for the day. Course was in good shape considering the rain last night. Other than the par 3's and 18 it seemed like a lot of straight back and forth golf. With not a lot of room for crooked shots. Considering the hour drive from home, there's some better tracks closer to home.

Mascoutin is nice (especially the new 9), but you'd be better off paying for the all day package at Lawsonia and doing 18 on Links, 18 on Woodlands and then another 9-18 on Links. I think it costs $135.

Wash Co is a nice course as well and a great bargain, but once again you'd probably be better served and would get more golf in if you just stayed at Lawsonia for the day.

Also not sure how you will make all that work in one day. It's close to 1.5 hours from Wash Co to Lawsonia and probably 20 minutes from Lawsonia to Mascoutin. Even if you tee off at 6:30 am and are done at Wash Co at 9:30 you'd be teeing off at Lawsonia at 11:30 the earliest and done at 3:30 and then I guess if you hurried you could tee off at 4:15 at Mascoutin so I guess its possible, but seems like more of a race than a relaxing day of golf. You'd play more golf at better courses and not be as rushed if you just stuck to Lawsonia all day.

With bad weather in the forecast for tomorrow, my 54 hole day was moved to Tuesday. I'm not worried about getting every hole in on the longest day of the year though. Just need to leave Chicago at 3:30 AM.

Mizuno ST190G 9° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS Stiff

Mizuno ST200 TS 15° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 917F2 18° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 816H1 21° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 Stiff

Honma TW747v 4-10 w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Honma TW W4 50°(9°)/54°(10°)/58°(8°) w/ Nippon Modus 125

Scotty Cameron GoLo 7 Dual Balance

Playing Aldeen Saturday morning switch a group from my league. What can you guys tell a bogie golfer about the place? Looks fairly tree lined.

Considering I'm probably the only fan of Aldeen, get there early as the practice area is awesome! Depending on the yardage you play, you could hit a lot of fairway woods or hybrids off the tees. It can be tight at times but for the most part, everything is right in front of you. 2 of the par 5's are reachable and pay particular attention to the pin position on 18. You don't want to be above it. The first hole is a downhill par 5 that is very reachable in two.

The par 3's are just a bit above average. The 8th is an island-esque green and it always plays shorter than what the yardage says.

Conditions are always very good and the greens are the secondary defense of the course.

I'll let my fellow ChicagoWRX'ers rip me and the course so you'll get some opposite opinions.

I'm a fan of Aldeen. It's tight and makes you think on a lot of your shots. Greens are usually fast and true. The practice facility is usually in crap shape when I'm there. I feel like I'm usually hitting off of mud on the range everytime which is unfortunate. But certainly a course I enjoy playing.

Nice day at Harbor Shores yesterday. The weather was cloudy and breezy in the morning, but cleared by mid round. The course is in great shape. The greens could have been a tad faster, but with the severe undulations, I guess it's best to keep the speeds moderate. I played the course last in 2010, and it seems to have matured quite a bit. The course has a few rough edges, but given that it's a prairie style course for the most part, the rough edges fit with the design.

I had a great day driving the ball, but really struggled with my irons. Add the wind and the sloping greens, and I missed more greens than I hit. I was rolling the ball really nice, and had only one 3 putt on the tricky greens. I made two birdie putts over 30 feet which was really sweet.

If you haven't gotten out to Harbor Shores in Benton Harbor yet, I highly recommend it. The Livery and North Pier Brewing Company are within walking distance of the course, and are both top notch.

was HoE wet when you guys were there?

we are playing this Friday, looking forward to it.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue 6S
TEE  CBX119  2h  17* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS 
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) DG120 S300
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

2012-2013 SC California Sonoma 33" -SS Flatso 2.0
TM TP5x

lots of rain wednesday and super high humidity until sunday may have contributed to low drying rates on course.

Let's hope so...

Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

was HoE wet when you guys were there?

we are playing this Friday, looking forward to it.

Pretty wet, more than a couple tee boxes were very soggy, I had probably 3 or 4 casual water drops, some harder to find dry areas. But it rained REALLY hard overnight, ending no more than 3 hours before we teed off. Considering the amount of water that came down it was extremely playable.

thanks for the clarification and reminder about Friday night's rain over there.

Vokey SM4 52-08F S200

TM TP5x

I'm supposed to play Glenview Park on Saturday. Never played it before.... How's the course? It seems rather short, but most likely very tight?

A little short, but still definitely long enough to be a challenge. A few holes take driver out of your hands with hazards, so that effectively makes the course play longer. I don't remember it being especially tight, but the greens are good and it is a fun layout. When I played last summer, it was in great shape, so hopefully that is still true!