2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Refresh my memory, how many blind shots does Big Run have? I can only recall one on the back nine. Otherwise it's mostly elevated tees, no?

I fail to see how Big Run's layout is stupid. The topography is wonderfully exploited. That the criticisms are mostly vague/ambiguous is telling, to me.

Regarding the horseshoe green at the end of a par-5, I assume it is the 5th hole being criticized, though there is no tree blocking putts from one end to the other. Depending on the pin placement, it is possible to have a putt that needs to circumvent a bunker pinching into the middle-rear of the green, but it would mean your approach was about 30 yards off line. Shouldn't expect much sympathy there.

I think a lot of the criticism of Big Run comes from people who go in thinking they're going to get the Cog Hill 1&3 treatment - and instead, get a kick in the nuts.

... Are you part owner? :derisive: The tree in the middle of the par 5 was replaced and the green redone sometime after Big Run opened. Some of the older players may remember that hole. I enjoy tough tracks like Orchard Valley, Bowes Creek and Heritage Bluff and am not "thinking I'm going to get the Cog Hill 1&3 treatment" at Big Run. I just hate the course and don't like walking it. I think we are lucky enough to live in an area with over 100 courses in a 25 mile radius so there is something for everyone from links style to parkland and everything in between. Like I stated earlier, it seems people either love or hate Big Run.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

I played Whisper Creek this morning. I was expecting to bite the bullet and pay the $54 rate that I booked it for, though that's a bit high for that course. However, it was only $35 to walk, which is a pretty good deal for a Saturday in June. The greens were really bumpy and slow - a Billy Casper staple - but everything else was decent to good. The Par 4s there are all either 370 or between 400-420 but there's plenty of variety in the 3s and 5s and the fescue separates the homes from the course nicely. Pace was 3:40. I shot a 76 and likely could have gone lower had I been able to make any putts.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

A very nice morning at Coyote Run. The weather was just about perfect, with light to moderate winds that presented a bit of a challenge. The course was in great shape. The greens were rolling smooth with Goldilocks speeds. The pace was fine at 4:15.

Not the best day off the tee, but my irons and woods were better than normal. I hit 11 greens, but scrambled for 5 pars, which really saved the round. My putter was hot. I had one 15 foot birdie, a crazy 30 footer to save par on #16., and a nice 12 foot par save on #12. The best hole of the day was the par 5 17th. I hit the worst drive of the day, a big slice into the wind, and into the middle of the 14th fairway. I was probably 360 yards out, and had to knock a fairway wood through a gap in the trees. I managed to clip a small branch going through which knocked a bit of speed off, leaving me 200 to the green into the wind. Another solid wood later I was pin high and 30 feet left. 'Thought it was a well earned par, and it kept me bogie free on the back nine.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Out at Whisper Creek this morning with DP4, Vnutz and ChiLefty. Course was in excellent condition. It was like chicken strips on a hot sunny day.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Played Bartlett Hills. Their greens need to be cut and rolled bad, otherwise in good shape.

On a positive side there is a Very cute bev cart girl, said it was her first day. Cecilia was her name, however Im not sure if she could even bring me back out to BH in the near future.

TRS 3 - Ping Max 10k ?  Ventus Red TR 5s? - Ventus + Blue 5s? - TPT Nitro 17 Hi?

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
Mezz Max Armlock ~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

I played Whisper Creek this morning. I was expecting to bite the bullet and pay the $54 rate that I booked it for, though that's a bit high for that course. However, it was only $35 to walk, which is a pretty good deal for a Saturday in June. The greens were really bumpy and slow - a Billy Casper staple - but everything else was decent to good. The Par 4s there are all either 370 or between 400-420 but there's plenty of variety in the 3s and 5s and the fescue separates the homes from the course nicely. Pace was 3:40. I shot a 76 and likely could have gone lower had I been able to make any putts.

We played there this morning as well...8:34 & 8:42...you missed the $10 off email! We paid $33 with range balls...BMan had the chicken strips which were perfect for a sunny day (inside joke).

Pleasant afternoon at Glenview Park GC. Par 70, 6100 yards, and it played every bit of it and than some (constant 2 club wind). Wound up hitting the driver more than expected, but fortunately it was behaving. Snap hooked my 6i on the first hole (sporty 300 yard par 4) into the trees and 5 shots later carded a double. Not the start I expected, but things calmed down after that and wound up with 76. Course was in good condition, the greens rolled nicely, but they were definitely on the slow side.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

We played there this morning as well...8:34 & 8:42...you missed the $10 off email! We paid $33 with range balls...BMan had the chicken strips which were perfect for a sunny day (inside joke).

Bear and I had the 6:08 tee time. We don't like waiting. The waking up at 4:00 am part stinks, but it comes with the early tee time.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Bear and I had the 6:08 tee time. We don't like waiting. The waking up at 4:00 am part stinks, but it comes with the early tee time.

Echo that Sir, we typically play Sportsman's at 5:30. Benefit of living nearby = ten minute drive which includes the coffee stop. First tee time at the Crook require a 3:30 wakeup which is tantamount to napping in the garage wearing your golf clothes.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Echo that Sir, we typically play Sportsman's at 5:30. Benefit of living nearby = ten minute drive which includes the coffee stop. First tee time at the Crook require a 3:30 wakeup which is tantamount to napping in the garage wearing your golf clothes.

... I don't know how you guys do it. I tip my cap to you! I did a forum golf trip and we went to Myrtle Beach and just didn't think it thru with the very first tee times and some courses a 45 minute drive or longer we were waking up at insane hours. I averaged 87 in the morning rounds and 73 in the afternoon rounds. Too tight, too cold, too brain dead for early tee times. Played the DLIII course at Barefoot Landing with the first tee time and I took a 10 on the first hole.

Refresh my memory, how many blind shots does Big Run have? I can only recall one on the back nine. Otherwise it's mostly elevated tees, no?

I fail to see how Big Run's layout is stupid. The topography is wonderfully exploited. That the criticisms are mostly vague/ambiguous is telling, to me.

Regarding the horseshoe green at the end of a par-5, I assume it is the 5th hole being criticized, though there is no tree blocking putts from one end to the other. Depending on the pin placement, it is possible to have a putt that needs to circumvent a bunker pinching into the middle-rear of the green, but it would mean your approach was about 30 yards off line. Shouldn't expect much sympathy there.

I think a lot of the criticism of Big Run comes from people who go in thinking they're going to get the Cog Hill 1&3 treatment - and instead, get a kick in the nuts.

... Are you part owner? :derisive: The tree in the middle of the par 5 was replaced and the green redone sometime after Big Run opened. Some of the older players may remember that hole. I enjoy tough tracks like Orchard Valley, Bowes Creek and Heritage Bluff and am not "thinking I'm going to get the Cog Hill 1&3 treatment" at Big Run. I just hate the course and don't like walking it. I think we are lucky enough to live in an area with over 100 courses in a 25 mile radius so there is something for everyone from links style to parkland and everything in between. Like I stated earlier, it seems people either love or hate Big Run.

I knew I was going to come off like that. All in good fun. I like discussing course design

You sound like you are describing the Big Run of 30+ years ago. The par-3, 13th is one of the best par-3s I've played anywhere. Have you played it since they re-did that hole (and others, I assume)?

I agree that BR is a pain to walk. I like to walk when I can - but never there.

... I am guessing something like 8-10 years since I played BR? It took us a little over 5 hours to play. I certainly do not remember the rocks around the lake on 3. And after looking at the course pictures, I remember we teed off on 10 to start the round and it was 11 that had the blind second shots. We were both in the left rough and the hill completely blocked the green from view. And yes, the 13th was redesigned when we played it and a bear to walk but I agree it is an amazing par 3, both beautiful and fun to play and agree it is one of the best in the burbs. I will always play a walking course before a course where I need a cart. Two back surgeries make riding in a cart problematic unless I have a pard that doesn't mind driving while I walk a lot.

... I am guessing something like 8-10 years since I played BR? It took us a little over 5 hours to play. I certainly do not remember the rocks around the lake on 3. And after looking at the course pictures, I remember we teed off on 10 to start the round and it was 11 that had the blind second shots. We were both in the left rough and the hill completely blocked the green from view.

Hmmm... :rolleyes: Just a "player's tip" regarding the 11th; there is a large acreage of flat land to the right of that hill where they cut the grass quite short, and affords a view to the green. I like to play my approach from there before 4-putting the green.

I knew I was going to come off like that. All in good fun. I like discussing course design

You sound like you are describing the Big Run of 30+ years ago. The par-3, 13th is one of the best par-3s I've played anywhere. Have you played it since they re-did that hole (and others, I assume)?

I agree that BR is a pain to walk. I like to walk when I can - but never there.

I've only played BR twice but I agree. That par 3 is really nice. It's tough from the back tees (something like 225 yards) but it's a mid-iron from the middle tees and there's a decent bail out area to the right if memory serves. As for the walkability, it's certainly not an easy stroll in the Sportsmans/Glencoe North Shore mold, but there are tougher walks in Southern Wisconsin. I just wish the greens were better. Honestly, that's my only critique.

Piretti Cottonwood II

I got out to Ruffled Feathers this morning hoping to see that the course has improved in both conditioning and customer service. The last time I played it in 2014 the course was in ragged condition, and the service was spotty at best. For the fee they were charging at the time I decided to cross it off my list. Recently we heard that they had made changes, so I was willing to give it another chance. I got there at 8 am, and there was nobody at the bag drop. A cart did have my name on it, so I loaded up my clubs, and went to park my car. The course was in very good shape for the most part. The greens rolled nice, and had decent speed without being punishing. There were a few too many unrepaired divots in the the fairways, and way too many unrepaired ball marks on the greens, but I guess I can't really fault the course for that. 'Just don't understand why players won't take a few seconds to repair the course.A number of bunkers looked pretty bad, with standing water or very wet sand. Overall the bunkers were in decent shape.

Pace of play was on the slow side. We made the turn in 2:20. We ran into the ranger on the 10th teebox, and he said he had found the slow group on 13. Ummm. OK. Why did it take 13 holes to identify the backup. When we got to the 12th green we could see that the 13th was wide open, with the group ahead of us teeing off. The ranger drove up and we mentioned the open hole, and he basically told us they were regulars, and that they were on pace. Huh? An open par 5 in front of you, and you're "on pace" with a 4.5+ hour round in the works? OK, if you say so.

Decent day scoring. I managed an average number of fairways and greens, but the putter continued to shine. I had 20 and 27 foot birdies, and a handful of par saves over 10 feet. I don't recall putting this will before, and I hope it sticks around. The par 3's really hurt today. #8 and #17 were playing 210 and 224 yards. The pin on #2 was tucked in the back right at 190 yards, and playing into the wind. No pars there.

Overall I can't say I'll be rushing back. The course was in much better shape than my last visit, but the pace of play needs addressing.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

It's been a very slow start to the season for our group. I don't recall ever being rained out so much. Last week we played up at Maple Meadows, I enjoy the course and it's cheap to play. Course was in good shape, pace of play was solid so it hit all high marks. My round unfortunately fell apart on the 13th hole finishing those last 6 in 10 over par after being 2 over standing on the 13th tee. Very frustrating finish.

We had a rain out following that but got back out to Heritage Bluffs yesterday. Course itself was pretty shaggy, greens were bumpy, bunkers were empty and the area's off the fairway had become more or less hardpan. Pretty disappointing to see the course in such condition and I hope it improves with the summer but we also only paid $40, had I paid full price I would have been pretty pissed. Pace of play was fine, nobody in front of us and nobody behind us. Front 9 started off where I left at Maple Meadows but back 9 I got my game back for a nice lopsided card of 46/38.

I've noticed a few trends this spring, it seems it's either raining when we have tee times or if ti's not raining and we play it's a damn hurricane. Deals are very hard to come by, rates seem to be up at the courses we normally play and there seems to be less people on them.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Had my first and only match in the Sportsman Cup Friday. Totally choked it away on #16 before losing on 17. Course was in great shape as it has been all season.

Got on Saturday around noon at Chevy Chase. Never again. Nearly a 5 hour round which should never be the case on a Saturday afternoon. Course was in fine shape, but greens are on the slow side. Had my best round of the year, going 42-40-82.

Was so excited by that round that I booked yesterday at Ravisloe for me and the wife. Got to the range and shanked every shot I took. Got on the course and finally just gave up and stopped playing after 6 holes and 5 shanks. Drove the cart for my wife the rest of the day. Lots of fun and glad I spent $150 for that.

Had my first and only match in the Sportsman Cup Friday. Totally choked it away on #16 before losing on 17. Course was in great shape as it has been all season.

Got on Saturday around noon at Chevy Chase. Never again. Nearly a 5 hour round which should never be the case on a Saturday afternoon. Course was in fine shape, but greens are on the slow side. Had my best round of the year, going 42-40-82.

Was so excited by that round that I booked yesterday at Ravisloe for me and the wife. Got to the range and shanked every shot I took. Got on the course and finally just gave up and stopped playing after 6 holes and 5 shanks. Drove the cart for my wife the rest of the day. Lots of fun and glad I spent $150 for that.

Chevy Chase is a guaranteed five hour round whenever I play it. Hence, I don't play it anymore. I complained enough last year that they gave me a free round next time I book there. I still haven't used that and don't think I will. That's how much I hate that course and the deathmarch that accompanies playing there.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Chevy Chase is a guaranteed five hour round whenever I play it. Hence, I don't play it anymore. I complained enough last year that they gave me a free round next time I book there. I still haven't used that and don't think I will. That's how much I hate that course and the deathmarch that accompanies playing there.

yea I won't be returning. We were a 3 some and there were 2 twosomes in front of us and then all 4 somes. The twosomes were together on every tee box waiting. On hole 10 I finally called the clubhouse and asked them to send a ranger out to put the twosomes together so we didn't have 3 groups on the tee box. They did send the ranger out and when I saw him on 11 he said he asked the twosomes to pair up, but one of them didn't want to. So I said to the ranger, "then force them to. You're the one holding that fancy radio and driving the cart that says Ranger." He agreed and with that bit of prodding drove off and forced them to play together. Took the round from 5 hour pace to 4:45 pace.

I'm playing Balmoral Woods and something else in that general area that's to be determined tomorrow. I've never played Balmoral Woods before but figure tomorrow is as good a day as any to add it to my course list.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Haven't played Chevy Chase for ages and have a cert from the Golf Show for a free round. After reading both comments above, I now wonder if it's worth using. I stopped playing Deerfield for the same reason. 5 hrs on weekend mornings.

/Begin Deerfield story/ - Brought my nephew there one weekend morning - long hitter off the tee. 8am start.

Nephew is one of the nicest, friendliest people on the planet. Jokester type. Never seen the boy angry, ever. He was about 23 at that time.

Place is already at a snail's pace. Fourth hole, he blasts one to within 20 feet of the green. The group ahead, all seniors, get a bit snarky, though they were on the green.

One of them walks back to us and in a pretty huffy tone asks - "Are you in a hurry?"

Nephew, all 6'3" of him, looks the guy dead in the eye and says, "Well, my mom wants me home for dinner".

Senior just walked off.

We about fell over we were laughing so hard.

Love this forum.

Best to everyone.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Played Old Oak yesterday. Started with a par then the next hole a frickin 9. Scored a 49 for the first 9. Then, out of nowhere got my act together and shot a 39 for the 2nd 9. They had us starting on the 10th hole.

Hit from the blue tees which are only a little more than 6,000 yds but feels longer. A tight old style parkland course. Greens were are somewhat small and were in great shape.

15 hcp

I'm playing Balmoral Woods and something else in that general area that's to be determined tomorrow. I've never played Balmoral Woods before but figure tomorrow is as good a day as any to add it to my course list.

What's the something else? Other than Balmoral, there are few top courses down yonder. Longwood is a fun layout, although conditioning is fairly spotty.

Hey guys -- moved here a few months ago and am looking for a place to play regularly. I'm living in the city and not sure what's close/cheap. Perhaps even somewhere with a summer membership

Where in the city? The closest reasonable courses for near north residents are Glenview Park GC, Wilmette GC, Glencoe GC, and Sportsman's GC. Heading west, Oak Brook GC is the closest. On the south side there's Harborside, but it's nearly double the price of the northern courses.

What's the something else? Other than Balmoral, there are few top courses down yonder. Longwood is a fun layout, although conditioning is fairly spotty.

The "something else" turned out to be Palmira. I have a soft spot for that place, though there are some other options down there (White Hawk and Deer Creek are also close by, Sherwood isn't all that far away, and Tuckaway is nearby though not recommended). I liked Balmoral Woods. Aside from the weird par 38-34 set-up, it's a nice layout with a bit of variety. The front was the shortest 3600 yard nine holes I've ever played, but I guess four par 5s will do that. The back felt much more difficult. I was the first golfer on the course and was out with the grounds crew. I dropped in a 15 foot putt on the 8th hole for my only birdie there and I'll take a 76 for my first visit. I'll likely be back again this season.

I kept the theme of unconventional ways of getting to a par 72 by playing Palmira (it's a par 35-37). It's in much better shape now than it has been for the last couple of years. In 2015 and 2016 they had stopped paying any attention to the fairway bunkers and there were lots of weeds on the course. However, they're spending some money on that place. It's still got some sketchy parts but it's come a long way. The greens were definitely not the fastest but they were smooth and the tee boxes for the back tees were flat. That wasn't always the case so I guess they brought in some dirt and new sod. I thought I might be able to finish around even par after birdies on 6 and 12 but the horrid pace - it took 4:40 to finish - finally got to me and I made three straight bogies on 15, 16 and 17. Still, a 75 there is fine.

Piretti Cottonwood II