2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Can anyone shed light on Lake Bluff GC? I was asked about playing there next week and it would be my first time up there.

Thanks in advance.

I like it. I only play there weekday afternoons for the twilight rate. Of all the north shore park dist. courses: Glencoe, Wilmette, Glenview, Deerfield, Sportsman's etc... I think it's the best combination of layout and conditions. Unfortunately for me, it's 20 to 30 minutes further away than those other courses.

A few tips:

7 is a short dogleg right. If your a big hitter you can hit it over the trees. It's probably 260 carry to be safe. Otherwise, 220 shot straight away leaves less than 100 to green.

On 14 tee, hit your 200 yard club up the left side. There's a ravine the cuts diagonally across the fairway from left to right.

On 17 tee, if you can't bomb it over the dead tree on the right, you have to lay up short of the dogleg, and play as three shot par five.

A few years ago they butchered 18 to make room for the driving range. Off the tee, lay up short of the middle sand trap. Then it's less than 100 to the green.

Can anyone shed light on Lake Bluff GC? I was asked about playing there next week and it would be my first time up there.

Thanks in advance.

I like it. I only play there weekday afternoons for the twilight rate. Of all the north shore park dist. courses: Glencoe, Wilmette, Glenview, Deerfield, Sportsman's etc... I think it's the best combination of layout and conditions. Unfortunately for me, it's 20 to 30 minutes further away than those other courses.

A few tips:

7 is a short dogleg right. If your a big hitter you can hit it over the trees. It's probably 260 carry be safe. But, 220 shot straight away leaves less than 100 to green.

On 14 tee, hit your 200 yard club up the left side. There's a ravine the cuts diagonally across the fairway from left to right.

On 17 tee, if you can't bomb it over the dead tree on the right, you have to lay up short of the dogleg, and play as three shot par five.

A few years ago the butchered 18 to make room for the driving range. Off the tee, lay up short of the middle sand trap. Then it's less than 100 to the green.

very kind of you to provide these course tips. nothing like having the layout from an experienced player. my thanks for your input. :golfer:

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Anyone have a recommendation for a good putting instructor in the area? Just got back from Carolina / GA where I played 4 rounds at Reynolds, Pine Needles, and Tobacco Road and honestly can't isolate where the mistake on the greens is occurring. Average score over the 4 rounds was 75, 74.3% of fairways and GIR was 64% which was dragged down significantly due to Pine Needles; I only hit 6 greens that day but somehow shot 76. I averaged just under 34 putts per round and missed 40% of putts under 10 feet (44 out of 110 putts were missed) with over 2 3-putts per round.

Putting has been hit or miss for the last few years due to lack of playing but I can't remember the last time I went 4 rounds, that close together, and not be able to put a decent putting round together.

Wanted to bump this and see if anyone had a recommendation for a putting / short game instructor in the area?

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

Anyone have a recommendation for a good putting instructor in the area? Just got back from Carolina / GA where I played 4 rounds at Reynolds, Pine Needles, and Tobacco Road and honestly can't isolate where the mistake on the greens is occurring. Average score over the 4 rounds was 75, 74.3% of fairways and GIR was 64% which was dragged down significantly due to Pine Needles; I only hit 6 greens that day but somehow shot 76. I averaged just under 34 putts per round and missed 40% of putts under 10 feet (44 out of 110 putts were missed) with over 2 3-putts per round.

Putting has been hit or miss for the last few years due to lack of playing but I can't remember the last time I went 4 rounds, that close together, and not be able to put a decent putting round together.

Wanted to bump this and see if anyone had a recommendation for a putting / short game instructor in the area?

not sure about your location - Michael Wenzel at Sportsman's in Northbrook is recommended. Great personality and easily understood.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

todd sones or kevin weeks

Hey guys -- moved here a few months ago and am looking for a place to play regularly. I'm living in the city and not sure what's close/cheap. Perhaps even somewhere with a summer membership

Where in the city? The closest reasonable courses for near north residents are Glenview Park GC, Wilmette GC, Glencoe GC, and Sportsman's GC. Heading west, Oak Brook GC is the closest. On the south side there's Harborside, but it's nearly double the price of the northern courses.

I'm gold coast/lincoln park. Thanks for the response, ill check out those options

Hey guys -- moved here a few months ago and am looking for a place to play regularly. I'm living in the city and not sure what's close/cheap. Perhaps even somewhere with a summer membership

Where in the city? The closest reasonable courses for near north residents are Glenview Park GC, Wilmette GC, Glencoe GC, and Sportsman's GC. Heading west, Oak Brook GC is the closest. On the south side there's Harborside, but it's nearly double the price of the northern courses.

I'm gold coast/lincoln park. Thanks for the response, ill check out those options

There's also Winnetka, but conditioning there can be spotty.

The Chicago Park District and Cook County Forest Preserve courses north of downtown can be pretty much avoided unless the weather is poor, in which case pace of play drops to a more reasonable level. Marovitz is a nine hole course on the lakefront, and has some great views and a few decent holes, but pace of play is atrocious. Robert Black is a bit further north, and is not a bad little course (designed by Dick Nugent). I found the pace of play much better than Marovitz, but it won't win any speed contests. Chick Evans is pretty much a goat ranch. Edgebrook is worse than a goat ranch. Billy Caldwell is often a swamp, and can be skipped as well.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I've worked with Todd Sones and would recommend him.

Feel free to pm if you have any questions

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Thanks in advance.

Agree with Jim. I would also rank Lake Bluff as the best of the northshore muni's.

Thanks in advance.

Agree with Jim. I would also rank Lake Bluff as the best of the northshore muni's.

I play it a couple times a week. It's a great course that always seems to be in great shape. They can really speed up the geeens and your 20ft putt can turn into a 10ft coming back.

The tips thrown out are pretty accurate.

I kind of wish that they would talk to an architect to add a little to the course. I think there is a lot that can be done with it by just rerouting some holes. 18 is kind of a meh finisher at an odd place in the course. Makes you walk past 2green and 3tee to get back to the clubhouse.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

not sure about your location - Michael Wenzel at Sportsman's in Northbrook is recommended. Great personality and easily understood.

I've worked with Todd Sones and would recommend him.

Feel free to pm if you have any questions

Thanks guys for the feedback. Will research these guys.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

There's also Winnetka, but conditioning there can be spotty.

The Chicago Park District and Cook County Forest Preserve courses north of downtown can be pretty much avoided unless the weather is poor, in which case pace of play drops to a more reasonable level. Marovitz is a nine hole course on the lakefront, and has some great views and a few decent holes, but pace of play is atrocious. Robert Black is a bit further north, and is not a bad little course (designed by Dick Nugent). I found the pace of play much better than Marovitz, but it won't win any speed contests. Chick Evans is pretty much a goat ranch. Edgebrook is worse than a goat ranch. Billy Caldwell is often a swamp, and can be skipped as well.

This is great -- thanks. I'm pretty decent and really quick so the pace of play stuff is good to know. I'll probably just bounce around on golfnow and hopefully find some place I can practice

Hi, quick question where do you guys get club work done? I live in Bristol (right next to Yorkville) and I need to get my irons reshafted and regripped as well as my driver. I would try to do it myself but with 2 kids I don't have the room right now.

I know a local guy that does very good work at a reasonable price. He's in Elk Grove Village, near OHare.

PM me if you want his contact info.

TRS 3 - Ping Max 10k ?  Ventus Red TR 5s? - Ventus + Blue 5s? - TPT Nitro 17 Hi?

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
Mezz Max Armlock ~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

1.75 inches of rain up here in libertyville last night

we'll see how much more

I've got a mid-afternoon tee time at Pine Meadow this coming Monday to practice for an outing there on Friday.

Played Highlands of Elgin last Friday and it played great.

The wind was up and the pin placements were tough.

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Hilldale today. Playing like crap. CPO...

Just brain dead for whatever reason.

TRS 3 - Ping Max 10k ?  Ventus Red TR 5s? - Ventus + Blue 5s? - TPT Nitro 17 Hi?

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
Mezz Max Armlock ~ TPT

... Kinda what makes the game so addicting doesn't it? It happens to all of us regardless of index. I had some back issues and played before I was ready but took on George Dunne with my son and his friend in 25mph winds and was out of sync the entire round. Stopped keeping score after a few holes as it was obvious I wasn't ready to play yet and lost 9 balls! I have not lost half that many balls this entire season and am guessing I would have shot somewhere around 100 or even higher. With a 0.2 index I am sure posting that kinda score would have raised a few eyebrows at the CDGA. :stink:

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

I'll be teeing it up at Blackstone GC on Saturday at 9:40 am. The fee is currently reduced to $64 w/ cart. I'm the only one booked at that time, and there are slots on either side are wide open. Anyone care to join?

Two rounds on Sunday at Bowes Creek.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

... Kinda what makes the game so addicting doesn't it? It happens to all of us regardless of index. I had some back issues and played before I was ready but took on George Dunne with my son and his friend in 25mph winds and was out of sync the entire round. Stopped keeping score after a few holes as it was obvious I wasn't ready to play yet and lost 9 balls! I have not lost half that many balls this entire season and am guessing I would have shot somewhere around 100 or even higher. With a 0.2 index I am sure posting that kinda score would have raised a few eyebrows at the CDGA. :stink:

Haha, yes, its just a simple game but we make it so much more difficult than it needs to be. It was an odd feeling today, NOTHING felt right. I shanked and topped 5 shots in the first 3 holes, lol.

And to be honest, I was excited to play but working late last night and a lack of sleep plus getting to the course and heading straight to the tee box was a contributing factor. I should know better.

So I'm going to try and wipe todays round from the memory bank and let it go...

I'll be teeing it up at Blackstone GC on Saturday at 9:40 am. The fee is currently reduced to $64 w/ cart. I'm the only one booked at that time, and there are slots on either side are wide open. Anyone care to join?

Two rounds on Sunday at Bowes Creek.

I wish I could join you Arg but Im working Saturday afternoon. I've been wanting to play BS all season.

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
Mezz Max Armlock ~ TPT

it was 2 inches in the last 24 hours

many places reported 2-3 inches

Fox Run and Biltmore CC didn't open today.

major soaking

Can't join you saturday, Arg.

thanks for the invite

Blackstone should play great...

TM TP5x

I got out to Shephard's Crook and Thunderhawk today with The Bear and a friend in town from Pittsburgh. Despite last night's rain, neither course had standing water issues and the greens at Shephard's were excellent. Conditions at Shephard's were actually a bit better than at Thunderhawk (where there was zero roll and slow greens) though the bunkers were really soggy at SC while the ones at TH were extra fluffy. I'm guessing they brought in quite a bit of sand this morning. Scores were kind of so-so since controlling approach shots was trickier than usual and the wind was either at our back or right in our face for a bunch of holes. We didn't smell the Cliffs of Zion once, which made things really pleasant. 77 at both places. I'm ready for some Wisconsin golf from Sunday to Wednesday of next week. This whole not working until the end of August thing is a lot of fun.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Ha, I nearly got audited by CDGA last week when I posted 82-106 back to back. Didn't think it could get worse than shanking everything and shooting a 106, but it added insult to injury when I put the score in and the website responded with a red font message asking me if I'm sure cause that score sure does suck more than usual.

Flagg Creek the morning of the 4th. Top notch facility! Gonna go low!

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

90 holes in 4 days was a lot. Hindsight's always 20/20 though. We got the first time at HOE this morning and played alright. Bear was wisely swinging the driver slower than usual in order to keep the ball in the fairway but I kept trying to get it around at my normal pace. That wasn't very smart since my form wasn't exactly ideal. I eaked out a 78. Normally I don't have any glaring critiques of HOE but maybe if the maintenance guy putting down pesticides needs to wear a mask, they should wait until the golfers are off the course. That seems logical to me.

I'm taking tomorrow off to rest my legs then playing The Oaks in Madison, WI to kick off a bunch of holiday weekend rounds up there.

Piretti Cottonwood II

You'll be wishing you were playing Tanna Farms.

My fourth grade teacher works at Flagg Creek. I played there as a kid a bunch of times. It used to be a 12 hole dump where open containers were both allowed and encouraged. Now it's like the Junior golf capital of the western burbs. I don't think they've seen anyone drive the ball more than 240 off the tee.

Piretti Cottonwood II

You'll be wishing you were playing Tanna Farms.

My fourth grade teacher works at Flagg Creek. I played there as a kid a bunch of times. It used to be a 12 hole dump where open containers were both allowed and encouraged. Now it's like the Junior golf capital of the western burbs. I don't think they've seen anyone drive the ball more than 240 off the tee.

It's a 5 minute drive for me so it's my go to place on a holiday to play.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]