Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Old Course. #500.   ![](https://dl.dropbox.com/s/54saiaga0udi4qv/20190424_124620.jpg "")

Been scoring in the low 70s for some time, but I had never broke 70 before. Today was the day that I finally did at Klein Creek. My putter had been hot for some time and it came through for me to get

I played the Preserve at noon on the 4th. The course is in great shape. I played really well on the front, 37. Then lost three balls on the back to shoot 46, ouch. They have to add some water coolers

It had a very pleasant round at Blackstone this morning. I teed off as a single, played through 2 groups, and then joined another single on the 7th hole. One can't beat a nice day on a great course while playing in just over 3 hours. The course is in nice shape, especially given that they've gotten more than 4 inches of rain this week. The bunkers were damp, but playable. The greens were probably rolling at 10, which is quick, but slower than they normally roll here. With light winds and moderate temperatures, one couldn't really ask for a better day in July.

I had a great round today. My ballstriking was spot on, with 11 fairways and 12 greens. This is the 2nd round I've shot lights out after attending an LPGA event. I don't know if I'm channeling the players, but watching them effortlessly hit the ball is a great lesson. I was purposely dialing back today, and it paid of. I had three straight birdies on the front nine, with the two par 5's sandwiching the long par 3. I missed the green left on the par 3, and had a nasty lie on pretty much hardpan. I managed to get a lob wedge under it, and it landed soft and tracked into the hole.

I also had great scrambles on 16 and 18. After finding the large fairway bunker on 16, I tugged my sand shot into the left greenside bunker. The ball was near the left edge, and I couldn't get a proper stance. Somehow I managed to get the ball to within 4 feet. On 18 I overdrew a fairway wood into the left collection area. I had a 25 yard downhill flop shot to the center level. An other one 4 feet from the pin.

I think Blackstone is under appreciated in the Chicago area. I still don't like the par 4 15th, which pretty much much takes the drive out of your hand, while still leaving a long approach, but otherwise it's a solid layout with probably the best greens in Chicago public golf.

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 6-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

Can anyone shed light on Lake Bluff GC? I was asked about playing there next week and it would be my first time up there.

Thanks in advance.

I like it. I only play there weekday afternoons for the twilight rate. Of all the north shore park dist. courses: Glencoe, Wilmette, Glenview, Deerfield, Sportsman's etc... I think it's the best combination of layout and conditions. Unfortunately for me, it's 20 to 30 minutes further away than those other courses.

On 17 tee, if you can't bomb it over the dead tree on the right, you have to lay up short of the dogleg, and play as three shot par five.

FYI...Dead tree is no longer on the corner of 17. It's a completely different hole. Can easily be left with under 250 for your second shot.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* -  Ping Tour 65
Ping G410 LST 14.5* - Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7
Titleist 818 H1 19* - Tensei CK Pro White Hybrid 90 
Callaway X-Forged '18 - Steelfiber i110cw
Callaway MD Forged 50, 54 & 58 - KBS 610 Wedge
Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Stealth

It had a very pleasant round at Blackstone this morning. I teed off as a single, played through 2 groups, and then joined another single on the 7th hole. One can't beat a nice day on a great course while playing in just over 3 hours. The course is in nice shape, especially given that they've gotten more than 4 inches of rain this week. The bunkers were damp, but playable. The greens were probably rolling at 10, which is quick, but slower than they normally roll here. With light winds and moderate temperatures, one couldn't really ask for a better day in July.

I had a great round today. My ballstriking was spot on, with 11 fairways and 12 greens. This is the 2nd round I've shot lights out after attending an LPGA event. I don't know if I'm channeling the players, but watching them effortlessly hit the ball is a great lesson. I was purposely dialing back today, and it paid of. I had three straight birdies on the front nine, with the two par 5's sandwiching the long par 3. I missed the green left on the par 3, and had a nasty lie on pretty much hardpan. I managed to get a lob wedge under it, and it landed soft and tracked into the hole.

I also had great scrambles on 16 and 18. After finding the large fairway bunker on 16, I tugged my sand shot into the left greenside bunker. The ball was near the left edge, and I couldn't get a proper stance. Somehow I managed to get the ball to within 4 feet. On 18 I overdrew a fairway wood into the left collection area. I had a 25 yard downhill flop shot to the center level. An other one 4 feet from the pin.

I think Blackstone is under appreciated in the Chicago area. I still don't like the par 4 15th, which pretty much much takes the drive out of your hand, while still leaving a long approach, but otherwise it's a solid layout with probably the best greens in Chicago public golf.

Playing it on the 4th and really looking forward to it. No golf this weekend so I'm jonesing...

SiM~Ventus Velocore Blue 60s

TM M2 Tour HL~GD AD F75
RomaRo Type R Ute~GD UT 85
Titleist VG3~Nippon 130s
Vokey SM8 50f, 54s,58d~Nippon 125
Bettinardi Queen B12
ProV1x
Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

Wonderful morning at Sportsman's.

Greens were just wonderful. Not too slow, nor too fast. Course is in beautiful shape.

Didn't feel like we rushed and walked it in 3:30.

Do wish the halfway house opened a tad earlier, so breakfast was in the clubhouse.

Playing again on the 4th at sunrise.

the Village newsletter said that this facility actually lost money last year. not a ton, but still..... I was amazed.

With something like 60,000 rounds played,

Not like it's inexpensive. What does it take for a local course to show a profit?

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Ping G20 - FW
Hogan BH-5, 4-PW
Vokey 52, 56
Ping Anser 2 - Karsten grip
not flashy, reliable

Played Mistwood yesterday. Unfortunately didn't get a break for playing with a member (apparently you get the discount only during the week) , and the round was $110. Ouch... As much as I like the course, buck ten on the weekend is getting up there. I guess mr McWethy is trying to recoup his multi million $ investment. We played (as a foursome) in even 4 hours, which was nice, since 2 of the guys I played with barely broke 100. Course was in perfect condition, but I couldn't figure out the greens to save my life. Started off with a four putt (not a good thing when your first putt comes back to your feet) and threw in couple more 3 putts on the front 9 for a 45. Back 9 went little better though. Birdied 10 and 18 (after reaching it in 2 - driver, 4i to 15', just missed the eagle). When the dust settled, carded a much needed 37 on the back to make the final tally little more respectable.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges.

Played Mistwood yesterday. Unfortunately didn't get a break for playing with a member (apparently you get the discount only during the week) , and the round was $110. Ouch... As much as I like the course, buck ten on the weekend is getting up there. I guess mr McWethy is trying to recoup his multi million $ investment. We played (as a foursome) in even 4 hours, which was nice, since 2 of the guys I played with barely broke 100. Course was in perfect condition, but I couldn't figure out the greens to save my life. Started off with a four putt (not a good thing when your first putt comes back to your feet) and threw in couple more 3 putts on the front 9 for a 45. Back 9 went little better though. Birdied 10 and 18 (after reaching it in 2 - driver, 4i to 15', just missed the eagle). When the dust settled, carded a much needed 37 on the back to make the final tally little more respectable.

Had a drink with Jim M. a couple of weeks ago and we talked about this 2 new businesses and the course. He's going to continue to raise prices until that point where he starts to see a decline in rounds. He's also not using any of the tee time aggregators as he doesn't see the need to discount rounds.

I played Countryside Prairie yesterday for the first time. The course was in really good shape considering the amount of rain that's fallen. It's a lovely piece of property although a lot of the holes felt like they were on top of one another. Luckily, we were practically alone out there so I didn't have to duck or keep my head on a swivel. My one complaint were the greens. They were slow. Now it might have been from the rain, but imo, it was unacceptable. 27 putts on the front nine blew up my card. On in two and walking off with a five or six on every hole really started to get to me. I did adjust on the back and cut the number down to 19, but it just wasn't fun. Winding up my putter like I'm taking a slap shot. I won't be going back there in the near future, if ever.

Hopefully those greens didn't ruin me for my round at Blackstone today. I'm going to be putting 20 feet past the hole now.

G425 LST 10.5 

G425 2 hybrid 15.5 

Apex-19 3 hybrid 20 

PXG Gen 2 0311T 4-P 

Y Grind 51

K Grind 55

PM Grind 60

Scotty Golo 3

Played Cantigny this morning, Wood/Lake. Course is in great shape, greens are as good as I've seen them. Played the Wood first, teed off at 7 AM and completed in about an hour and 40 minutes (threesome), but then ran into a wall on the Lakeside as we were waiting for them to complete their 8 AM tee times. That was a little frustrating, for the price they need to manage that a little better...

Had a drink with Jim M. a couple of weeks ago and we talked about this 2 new businesses and the course. He's going to continue to raise prices until that point where he starts to see a decline in rounds. He's also not using any of the tee time aggregators as he doesn't see the need to discount rounds.

Glad he's doing so well. I turned down Thunderhawk for the 4th due to price. With lunch it would have topped $100.

I can get a quality lesson for that, and the lesson is more useful for a guy like me.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Ping G20 - FW
Hogan BH-5, 4-PW
Vokey 52, 56
Ping Anser 2 - Karsten grip
not flashy, reliable

Glad he's doing so well. I turned down Thunderhawk for the 4th due to price. With lunch it would have topped $100.

I can get a quality lesson for that, and the lesson is more useful for a guy like me.

Please don't think I support it because I don't and very rarely play the course. Frankly I'd rather play Bowes or Highlands of Elgin as you can get in basically two rounds for the same price.

Please don't think I support it because I don't and very rarely play the course. Frankly I'd rather play Bowes or Highlands of Elgin as you can get in basically two rounds for the same price.

Agree. Mistwood is a fun course, but, I'd much rather play any of the areas $50 courses twice than there once.

Two wonderful rounds out at Bowes Creek today. The weather couldn't have been better. The course was in great shape, especially given the rain they've had. The greens were rolling nicely, albeit a little slower than I'd prefer. You gotta like the member for a day option. Unlimited golf for $115 w/ cart? That's roughly the price I'd pay at Harborside for a single round. Pace of play was excellent. I finished the first round in 3:40, and the second one in four hours flat. Heck, even the traffic coming back into the city was non-existent.

Another great day ballstriking, with 22 fairways and 26 greens. I felt like I just couldn't miss with the driver. I had 4 birdies on the opening round, and a pair in the second one. If I could have gotten a better handle on the green speeds, it could have been a record day. I left a few too many birdie putts a foot short. Ugh. The highlight of the day was the par 4 15th in the first round. With a nice tailwind from the elevated tee, I smoked a drive that left me with a lob wedge into the green. My wedge shot one hopped and hit the flagstick, coming to rest 2 feet away.

Heading out early tomorrow for a round at Wilmette. I'm taking the day off on the 4th. Six hour holiday rounds don't suit me.

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Two wonderful rounds out at Bowes Creek today. The weather couldn't have been better. The course was in great shape, especially given the rain they've had. The greens were rolling nicely, albeit a little slower than I'd prefer. You gotta like the member for a day option. Unlimited golf for $115 w/ cart? That's roughly the price I'd pay at Harborside for a single round. Pace of play was excellent. I finished the first round in 3:40, and the second one in four hours flat. Heck, even the traffic coming back into the city was non-existent.

Another great day ballstriking, with 22 fairways and 26 greens. I felt like I just couldn't miss with the driver. I had 4 birdies on the opening round, and a pair in the second one. If I could have gotten a better handle on the green speeds, it could have been a record day. I left a few too many birdie putts a foot short. Ugh. The highlight of the day was the par 4 15th in the first round. With a nice tailwind from the elevated tee, I smoked a drive that left me with a lob wedge into the green. My wedge shot one hopped and hit the flagstick, coming to rest 2 feet away.

Heading out early tomorrow for a round at Wilmette. I'm taking the day off on the 4th. Six hour holiday rounds don't suit me.

Arg, Kind of surprised you played Bowes with LPGA at Olympia?

Restraining order??

Two wonderful rounds out at Bowes Creek today.

Restraining order??

Lol. I was at the tournament on Friday. I came through the gate at 6:45 am, and left at 7:45 pm. I walked 18 with So Yeon Ryu in the morning, and 18 with In Gee and Minjee in the afternoon. 'Love the LPGA, but couldn't let a nice week pass by without some golf of my own.

20170630_193109s.jpg

Two wonderful rounds out at Bowes Creek today.

Restraining order??

Lol. I was at the tournament on Friday. I came through the gate at 6:45 am, and left at 7:45 pm. I walked 18 with So Yeon Ryu in the morning, and 18 with In Gee and Minjee in the afternoon. 'Love the LPGA, but couldn't let a nice week pass by without some golf of my own.

20170630_193109s.jpg

Was Minjee in the skirt or shorts?

G425 LST 10.5 

G425 2 hybrid 15.5 

Apex-19 3 hybrid 20 

PXG Gen 2 0311T 4-P 

Y Grind 51

K Grind 55

PM Grind 60

Scotty Golo 3

Played Cantigny this morning, Wood/Lake. Course is in great shape, greens are as good as I've seen them. Played the Wood first, teed off at 7 AM and completed in about an hour and 40 minutes (threesome), but then ran into a wall on the Lakeside as we were waiting for them to complete their 8 AM tee times. That was a little frustrating, for the price they need to manage that a little better...

Same thing I encountered. Started off on Hillside and finished in 1.5 hours, I was cruising playing two balls with nobody in front or back of me. Get to the turn and they're letting brand new groups start off on Woodside, which was my designated back 9, completely killed my rhythm. Waited for a good 10-15 minutes before could even hit the tee box. Course was was in great shape though.

I played The Oaks yesterday with The Bear and two chain smokers. The pace was about five hours and, for a course that nice it sure gets a lot of hackers. 77. Could've been a lot worse after my 40 on the front.

Mizuno ST200 10.5° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS Stiff

Mizuno ST200 TS 15° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 917F2 18° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 816H2 21° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 Stiff

Honma TW747v 4-10 w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Honma TW W4 50°(9°)/54°(10°)/58°(8°) w/ Nippon Modus 125

Piretti Matera FN

Minjee was wearing a fantastic black and white skort/top outfit. Best of the week.

Nice round at Wilmette GC this morning. I pulled into the parking lot, and it started raining. Luckily it was a brief shower, and it dry the rest of the morning. The fairways are still growing in from the fall reseeding. Shaggy, but playable. Pace of play was pretty poor for Wilmette. However, it's a holiday weekend, so no big surprise.

Game was off today. A few good holes, but an erratic driver kept the scoring opportunities to a minimum. Oh well.

What are courses usually like on the 4th? Went to the range today and it was a family affair, teach you kids how to golf day basically. Are courses full of people like this tomorrow or is everyone doing family cookouts and fireworks etc?

I avoid holiday golf like the plague. My last holiday rounds were 6:00 and 5:45. 'Not worth the aggravation. If you do play, you gotta get out early, or very late.