Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

My wife surprised me with a weekend getaway to Kohler. What an awesome treat. Today I played the Irish, then we had massages. Tomorrow The River Course.

My wife has many great qualities, but keeping secrets isn't one of them. I'm blown away she pulled this off.

... So many guys like to make stupid wife jokes. In my experience there are many, many more good ones than bad ones. And seems like you got a great one. :derisive:

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

... Got in a quick round at Naperbrook and they must have read our thread! Greens were in much better condition. Still too many ball marks but at least 50% less than the last time I played there. I was able to shoot a very pedestrian 72 with one birdie and 1 bogie. 16 pars and really had to grind out a few of them but thankfully no silly pin placements and as stated the greens were "decent" which is pretty good for Naperbrook. Played 18 in just over 3 hours as the 2 guys I played the front with dropped out after 9 and evidently so did many others as I went thru one twosome in a cart on the back 9.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Played Orchard Valley this morning...great conditions. VNutz shot 72...3 birdies and an eagle.

For those of you who know Lefty...he's has a new baby daughter of this morning!

Nice round V, I wish I could have joined you guys to witness it.

Congrats Adam!

TRS 3 / Ping Max 10k Ventus Red TR 5s - Ventus + Blue 5s - TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

Played Orchard Valley this morning...great conditions. VNutz shot 72...3 birdies and an eagle.

For those of you who know Lefty...he has a new baby daughter of this morning!

Good round V. How were the chicken strips?

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Sanctuary was the same as it always is in the middle of the summer. That's both a good and bad thing, but it's also exactly what I expected. I struggled on the front but was able to shoot a 37 on the back for a 77. Pace was not that great at 4:30, but, again, it's pretty much what I anticipated. Cog 2 was better than I remember. The course itself is filled with every suburban stereotype you can think of. Barefoot? Check. Backwards hat? Check. Untucked shirts? Check. Frat boy bros? Check, brah. However, conditions were really good. The greens were pretty slow but there were no big chunks of dead grass in any fairways, the tee boxes were even, and there weren't any weeds in play. I shot a 38 on the front and an even par 36 on the back with a birdie on 14. Hopefully the flooding subsidies in the north and northwest so we can get back up there soon.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Three rounds in Kohler in two days. One each on the Irish, River and Meadow. I played well on the Irish, 81, and was a few unlucky bounces from really playing well.

Yesterday I had an early time on The River Course. Of the four Kohler courses, That's my favorite. Except for the 5th and 6th holes, I really hit some great shots, 10 fairways and 9 greens. Unfortunately, they weren't reflected in my score. Those greens are firm fast, and every hole was on a crest. That equals a lot of 3 and 4 putts, ouch!! My package included free replays, so I played a second round on the Meadow. I like the Meadow, especially the back nine.

I walked all of my rounds with a Clic Gear. The River and Meadow are not really walking friendly. There's a lot of steep inclines between greens and tees. In spots where there's a walking path, it's usually too narrow for a push cart. My shins are feeling it today.

I skipped the annual trek to Gull Lake this year. The group I went with has been going for over 10 years. I agree that the prices have continued to increase while the quality has trended downward. My suggestion last year was to find a new venue. possibly Geneva National.

All said and done we ended up paying just over $450 per person with accommodations/golf/carts ect. When I started going the entire trip with food/gas ect didn't even cost that. For us it's progressed into just as much a social event as it is a golf event because so many of the guys live across the country now and this is the only time we all get together. They don't seem to really give any reason to draw us back in, either thrown in the carts or thrown in the new course but the extra money is getting ridiculous. I have a feeling the new course is bleeding money out of that place with how unfinished it is and what still needs to be done to make it a golf course and not a goat ranch.

With that said, anybody have any suggestions of a similar type of setup Gull Lake has? We're looking anywhere within about 4 hours of Chicago that's not Eagle Ridge or Lake Geneva, and a minimum of two courses. Lawsonia in Wisconsin appears to be a good option.

Lawsonia is a great option. They have onsite houses you can rent and I think the prices are pretty cheap. Also think you can fit your whole party in one house. Play all day fee is $135 and although they only have 2 courses, they make up for it with quality over quantity.

And it doesn't hurt that Green Lake is really nice.

Walked off Stonewall Orchard after 9 holes and a 68 on the scorecard. Only got a 68 cause I maxed out at double par before even getting to the green on 6 of the 9 holes. Can't even advance the ball forward with any club other than a driver and that goes about 180.

Going to try a lesson with Todd Sones school and see if they can fix me, if not I'm going to shut it down for the year. I have 2 golf trips coming up and have to figure out what I'm going do to about that. No way I'm driving down to French Lick if I'm still shanking every shot.

Coming up:

- Friday: SSMA 38th Annual Golf Outing: Scramble. At Lincolnshire Country Club in Crete. Never played there.

- Saturday: 3rd Annual Caddyshack Open at Oakbrook.

Anyone played Lincolnshire?

[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Walked off Stonewall Orchard after 9 holes and a 68 on the scorecard. Only got a 68 cause I maxed out at double par before even getting to the green on 6 of the 9 holes. Can't even advance the ball forward with any club other than a driver and that goes about 180.

Going to try a lesson with Todd Sones school and see if they can fix me, if not I'm going to shut it down for the year. I have 2 golf trips coming up and have to figure out what I'm going do to about that. No way I'm driving down to French Lick if I'm still shanking every shot.

That's rough!

Sones will get you sorted!

I'm speaking from experience

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

That's rough!

Do I have to see Sones or are all his instructors good as well? Sones charges $200 for 45 minutes, don't really want to pay that much. Some of the other guys at his school charge a lot less.

That's rough!

Do I have to see Sones or are all his instructors good as well? Sones charges $200 for 45 minutes, don't really want to pay that much. Some of the other guys at his school charge a lot less.

$200/45min seems like a lot. I know your a lawyer, but $266/hr is a great gig. He must have a different Corvette for each day of the week.

I had a lesson from him years ago. I can't remember exactly what he charged, but it was expensive. He answered his cell phone a few times. When I said something about this being my time, he didn't take it well.

When did this come on? Is it just the full swing yips?

I don't know what yips are. Obviously I've heard the term 100s of times, but honestly don't know what it actually means. I have an issue with hozzle shanks. Been dealing with it off and on for a number of years, but it came on suddenly a few weeks ago and this is the worst its ever been. Can't advance any balls forward with any club except driver.

I don't know what yips are. Obviously I've heard the term 100s of times, but honestly don't know what it actually means. I have an issue with hozzle shanks. Been dealing with it off and on for a number of years, but it came on suddenly a few weeks ago and this is the worst its ever been. Can't advance any balls forward with any club except driver.

Sounds like you need new clubs. Maybe J-Money can hook you up with some of those illegal things he uses.

My wife surprised me with a weekend getaway to Kohler. What an awesome treat. Today I played the Irish, then we had massages. Tomorrow The River Course.

My wife has many great qualities, but keeping secrets isn't one of them. I'm blown away she pulled this off.

Jim, good seeing you a few weeks ago.

So, does your wife play? Or, was this a "you golf, she spas" type arrangement? Asking for a friend... Lol...

The yips for me was not being able to take the club back without dread and fear. I looked like Charles Barkley. I went from a 4 handicap to not being able to break 100. I quit the game for over 2 years.

But I'm sure your shank issues are something fairly simple that can be fixed by a teaching professional. They can get it on tape and go from there. I see teaching Sones at the dome in the winter and he doesn't impress me, especially for the price. I'd recommend you to my teacher Tim Overman at Golf In Motion as I've been highly satisfied, but he's down south and I don't know how you feel about traveling.

Either way, I hope you get things fixed and start enjoying getting out there to play again. I know the frustrations and it is terrible... Especially if you really love the game.

If you sign up for 5 or 6 lessons, he has a package for 625

He does 1st and last lesson

One of his instructors does the middle 3

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I've had good experiences with sones

Yes, he's expensive, but he is a top teacher in the nation

A buddy of mine is doing the 5 lesson package I noted above and it's really working well for him

I guess the key is to get to a good instructor who used video

For me, sone's video summaries of his lessons impressed me the most

Shanks = standing too close to the ball?

TM TP5x

Jim, good seeing you a few weeks ago.

So, does your wife play? Or, was this a "you golf, she spas" type arrangement? Asking for a friend... Lol...

Great to see you too. I play, she does the spa...

I had a case of shanks while... chipping. Boy, did it suck. Still not sure what I was doing wrong, but somehow managed to get rid of them (I sure hope the golf gods are not reading this thread). Did you consider getting an XL bucket of balls at the driving range and going at it without overanalyzing things?

It has to be something rather simple.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

That's rough!

I go to one of the other guys and so does my son. They are all good. From an adult level, I had 2 lessons and could immediately tell results. Better posture, less strain on my lower back, better ball striking.

If you're 6 years old and have up to 3 friends, one of the younger guys he has there is amazing. At this age it's just about having fun, hitting balls and learning things here and there and he does all of them with the younger kids. He keeps them interested the whole hour.

Message me if you want more details or info.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

I used to hit the occasional hosel rocket off my wedges. It went away as quickly as it came but it was super aggravating because it tended to rear its ugly head when I was hitting over water. I lost a few balls that way and was the recipient of more than a few, "Whoa there Hunter Mahan" comments. For me, shanks are 100% psychological. Confidence in my next strike is everything. If I'm at address expecting to flip something off the toe, it's going off the toe. It's also good to have a backup. For example, I don't have a ton of confidence in my driver at the moment so I lowered my three wood to 14 degrees and just hit that off the tee.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Played a scramble event today at Royal Melbourne. What a great course!

Wait, where?

[size=3]BOOM![/size]