2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Hi geochitown,

Shepherd's plays just fine in all but really wet conditions. As a landfill course, there are areas that need time and warmth to fully drain after the heavy rains we experience.

Some of the lower areas in the fairway will stay quite soggy, and there are some run up approaches and greenside wet rough that snags me. I find them difficult areas to pitch up from at times. (#5)

Normally, their greens are well kept and fast. Fairways well mowed and bunkers groomed out. Prairie grass guaranteed to get you now and then.

This year they ended their Players Club program. Had some nice perks. So it goes.

I play Sportsman's more the past few years. A different track, much closer and friends there.

Thanks, I was mainly curious about current conditions

I play the crook 1-2 times per year, and it’s been on my rotation for more than a decade, so I know the course, but it’s always nice to get info from someone who knows the course better than me

You are right on 5th hole and it’s softness if turf in front of the green conspiring against run up approaches , even though the slight downhill fairway looks like it might help

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Play some speed golf last night to squeeze in the back 9 at Mt prospect in 1hr 15 minutes

Only second time playing back 9 since the renovation

The par 3’s on the back nine dont let up and reminded me that MP has a strong set of par 3’s

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Played River Bend in Lisle today. What a sh!t show. Just as I remembered it from several years ago. Too small a property for par 36, full of bad golfers, balls crisscrossing from every direction, long waits between shots and to top it off I was paired with a kid who most definitely places "on the spectrum".

Pass.

Played River Bend in Lisle today. What a sh!t show. Just as I remembered it from several years ago. Too small a property for par 36, full of bad golfers, balls crisscrossing from every direction, long waits between shots and to top it off I was paired with a kid who most definitely places "on the spectrum".

Pass.

Lol. I used to frequent the course, and I thought it was a very nice layout. The basic problem is that it's half a real course, and not a nine hole course. By that I mean that it's not your typical easy nine hole course that caters to high cappers. As such it's much too much for the majority of players.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Got Butler on the books for tomorrow I am hoping the rains hold off should be a fun day! Love it there!

Color me jealous! Have only walked the grounds...never had the opportunity to play.

It is tuff as nails man! We bounce between the back Tees and Normal mens tees usually when we play depending how the set up is that day and man it is just a brutal test of your game! I personally think number 10 from the back tees is one of the hardest second shots in golf, it is one of my favorite par 4's i have ever played! Place is just special, and a great way to see how your game stacks up against a VERY difficult golf course.

Pass.

Lol. I used to frequent the course, and I thought it was a very nice layout. The basic problem is that it's half a real course, and not a nine hole course. By that I mean that it's not your typical easy nine hole course that caters to high cappers. As such it's much too much for the majority of players.

For a 9 hole course with some true par 5s I've never minded it, but there are definitely some spots that are too tight out there. One of the better 9 holers around DuPage IMO, but that's not saying much. Always a slow play as well.

Pass.

For a 9 hole course with some true par 5s I've never minded it, but there are definitely some spots that are too tight out there. One of the better 9 holers around DuPage IMO, but that's not saying much. Always a slow play as well.

I live right by the course (on 7 bridges), and drive by River Bend almost every day. I have never played there, but the parking lot is ALWAYS packed. I am torn on if I want to go out there and play or not. Sounds like it is 50/50 in here. Might not be bad to go out at 7pm one night mid summer and get 9 in though.

Pass.

I live right by the course (on 7 bridges), and drive by River Bend almost every day. I have never played there, but the parking lot is ALWAYS packed. I am torn on if I want to go out there and play or not. Sounds like it is 50/50 in here. Might not be bad to go out at 7pm one night mid summer and get 9 in though.

... I really like the layout although I usually hate playing 9 holes. But the biggest problem with RB is it seems to attract too many high index players and that course is just too tough for most of them. 3 hour rounds are not rare but about 2:30 to 2:45 is the norm when I have played there. Not to mention needing a hard hat as FORE! is something you hear on almost every parallel hole.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

... I really like the layout although I usually hate playing 9 holes. But the biggest problem with RB is it seems to attract too many high index players and that course is just too tough for most of them. 3 hour rounds are not rare but about 2:30 to 2:45 is the norm when I have played there. Not to mention needing a hard hat as FORE! is something you hear on almost every parallel hole.

It's not a bad course. Most 9 hole courses are afterthoughts and laid out pretty poorly, this actually has some unique and fun holes, and actual full length par 5s. The problem IMO is that in the middle of the course there are a par 5, a short par 4, and another par 5 that all run somewhat parallel to each other. The one par 5 has water/OB left so people favor the right side and hit into the short par 4, on the par 4 people spray onto both par 5s, and the other par 5 butts up against the short par 4 green as it doglegs, about right in the landing zone if somebody pulls or draws a tee shot. I've seen plenty of balls run through that green, kind of scary.

Just looked at tee times for The Preserve and they have indeed gone up to $84 for the weekend, riding. Not sure what the walking rate is but I'm not sure this is an $84 course.

Anyone played there this season? Conditions?

Have fun, let us know how it is, and the walking rate?

Hey Jim...not sure if I'm going to play it this weekend. Figuring that it's still going to be $65 and there are other courses I enjoy more like HIghlands, Blackstone, etc. at that price point.

Walking rate is leas

TM TP5x

66 walking rate

TM TP5x

Plenty of options tomorrow considering the forecast. I gotta referee the kids at soccer at 8:00 and then looking to possibly play somewhere after at 11:00-ish. We'll see.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

I'll be heading out to Maple Meadows in the morning. Hopefully we all get lucky with the rain.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Just looked at tee times for The Preserve and they have indeed gone up to $84 for the weekend, riding. Not sure what the walking rate is but I'm not sure this is an $84 course.

Anyone played there this season? Conditions?

Have fun, let us know how it is, and the walking rate?

Hey Jim...not sure if I'm going to play it this weekend. Figuring that it's still going to be $65 and there are other courses I enjoy more like HIghlands, Blackstone, etc. at that price point.

If it’s in great shape, and you can play fairly quick, I’d pay $65/ walk on Sat or Sun mornings. It’s so close to home I’m willing to pay a “convenience†premium. Most of last year’s rounds were in the afternoon for around $40. That’s a great deal.

Maple Meadows this morning. The course was in decent shape. Many of the bunkers had fresh sand, which is a pleasant surprise. The greens however were bumpy and inconsistent. It appears that they were aerated two weeks ago, and while the holes were healed, they had yet to be rolled. Putts were spending way too much time bouncing in the air. 'Caught a break with the weather. Five minutes after I pulled into the parking lot the light rain stopped, and stayed away for the remainder of the morning. The winds were lighter than forecast, so the 45 degrees was bearable.

That said, should have stayed in bed. I had absolutely no swing today. 'Tired of trying to swing a club with 4 layers of clothes. Drives were hooking. Irons were hooking. Wedges were all over the map. The only good thing I can say about my play today is that I hit a number of very good bunker shots. Otherwise, pffffttt. 'Definitely hoping for better tomorrow.

... You are officially an insane zealot. :stop: I get playing in this kind of weather in February, but in May is just crazy especially considering to will be 71* tomorrow and 81* Monday!

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Lol. Coyote Run tomorrow at 7:52 am. It should be 54 degrees, with the sun starting to show its face.

Just played our local municipal course renwood. Not many folks out there. We got around and just under 3 hours. Greens were actually freshly cut and rolling pretty nice. Course was nowhere near as wet as I thought it was going to be. Was actually a pretty nice day. A couple of doubles on the front left me with a 40. And I bogeyed 18 for a 37. Not great but I'll take it. Tomorrow I'll get to shed some layers, I hope.

ALERT: Hot deal at Preserve at Oak Meadows Wednesday 11:40 $48, one slot left. If you want to join my friend and I and some rando who got the 1st slot before I saw it, feel free!

Wanted to report back on my round at Water's Edge from last weekend... Course was in decent shape but 6 or 7 greens were really bumpy with poa annua seeding. Couldn't make a thing, save one sandy I left on the fringe 15 feet.

Furthermore, I've played the standard 9 circuit up here on the northside a few times, Marovitz/Waveland still hasn't opened up the renovated tees on 7 and 8 that said they were due to be opened in may, and the greenside bunker on 1 still isn't finished, but the rest of the bunkers are lookin pretty good. At least they finally got the order of new rakes in cause there were zero rakes when I played 2 weeks ago. :eyeroll:

At Robert Black the greens are healing nicely after aeration 2-3 weeks ago and are rolling smooth enough, and their bunkers are all looking fantastic. They had workers smoothing out the lips while I was playing. Great place to get some short game practice in without driving to the burbs that flies under the radar. Credit to Billy Casper Golf for turning the CPD courses around.

Cobra KING LTD Pro 8.5º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 15º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
*Titleist 816H2 21º (C1) - Graphite Design AD DI 105S (Double Eagle/Albatross 7/15/17)

OR - *Titleist 712U 3i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 712U 4i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08, SM6 50.12F, SM6 56.14F bent to 55 True Temper DG S200
Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks V-Grind 60.10 True Temper DG S200
Scotty Cameron Bullseye Blade By Titleist

Sportsman's greens were firm and fast this morning, all freshly cut and rolled.

some chips were best aimed a bit short for the front pins.

took a minute to get the speeds right. like black ice.

maybe ten minutes of drizzle.

maybe ten minutes of real sunshine.

more fun than mowing the lawn. that came later.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Played Hilldale for $15. Greens were in pretty good shape; nice and smooth. It was colder than I expected and after living in Atlanta for 7 years, my blood has thinned. I birdied the first hole, then got to +4 after 7. It started raining and some nearby lighting horns went off, so I headed home. I'll take my 7 holes and go home. Hoping for better weather next weekend.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Links at Carillon this afternoon. Rained for 3-4 holes, but it turned out to be a rather pleasant afternoon (weather wise). Struggled with the driver for the most part (2 OB tee shots, but luckily no broken windows), on top told that, deposited 2 balls in the aqua and wound up with 79. A guy in our group/“tournament” (former WIU college player) shot a cool 64 with 6 straight birdies and a lipped our birdie attempt on 18th hole. Course was in overall good condition and the geeens while on the slower side rolled true.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

A much nicer morning at Coyote Run today. The course was walking only, as the fairways were saturated. There were few puddles, but practically every step resulted in water coming out of the turf. The course looked very good. The greens rolled nice, but were a little slow due to the wetness. I was surprised to see no standing water in the bunkers. The sand was wet, but the drainage was great. I started on the back nine, and when I made the turn there was nobody in front of me. After the round I spoke with the head pro, and he said it's been the worst spring in recent memory. All the courses are suffering because of the cold, wet spring.

After shedding one layer I had a much better day ballstriking, with 10 fairways and 12 greens. Unfortunate I couldn't buy a birdie until my last hole when I sank a nice 9 footer. Lol. That's what keeps us coming back.