Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Highlands of Elgin yesterday and the conditions were good. Fairways were in great shape and greens were a comfortable speed. Got paired up with 2 other singles and had a great time, although the round was a little slow at 4 and 1/2 hours.

Looks like the rain is going to hold off so I think I might head over to Prairie Landing or Fox Bend a little later.

Yesterday went to Budget Golf's annual demo day at Inwood in Joliet. Alot of OEMs were there, free drinks (beer/soft drinks) and food. My brother ended up buying a customized set (5 thru gw) of Mizzy HMs for a great price. We could not believe some of the prices that were available on other oem clubs. Much cheaper than anywhere else.

I did not pull the trigger on anything because I got too much sh&t already. However, I was impressed with the Mizuno iron (HMs), their driver, Wilson's c300 series (driver. fw wood and irons) and the srixon 565 irons.

15 hcp

Played 36 at Ravisloe yesterday. Course was moist but in decent shape given all the rain; a few muddy spots but was totally playable. Greens were a little spongy and slow but in decent shape, bunkers were in great shape given the rain. Lastly, the staff there is awesome, very friendly and accommodating. Would definitely go back and play again.

Ping G400 Max 9 degree - Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 60X
Ping G400 3 wood - UST Mamiya VTS Silver SX
TaylorMade UDI 3 iron - GD AD DI 95X
Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52, 56, 60 - DG
Evnroll ER2

Dreary day at Willow Crest GC, bordering on unpleasant. Cold, breezy, and a scattering of light rain. I think we got lucky though, as the rain never managed to turn heavy. The course looked very nice. I can't recall the last time I played it during the season, as I seem to catch it in the late fall when it's turning brown. The fairways were in very nice shape. The greens were slow and bumpy, and it was a struggle to get the ball to the hole. The bunkers were wet, but still playable. 'Don;t quite understand how so many rocks wind up i the sand, though.

'Very good day ballstriking. 11/12 fairways, and 12 greens. I didn't have any birdies, but then again I didn't give myself many decent looks. With the cold and wet I was happy firing at the middle of the green and taking a relatively easy 2 putt for par. The new irons did their job once again. They're nothing to look at, and the feel is lacking, but they fly straight enough.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

... We played Prairie Bluff yesterday and I was surprised to find the fairways were not wet. Greens had not been cut or rolled so they were a little slower than normal but just a little. Kinda bumpy and knocked a few putts offline but by and large rolled pretty true so no complaints after the rain they experienced.

... Made a silly bogie on #2 playing at the flag in the middle of the green when the wind was pretty strong left to right and it pushed my shot into the rough, which was insanely thick and deep after the rain. Just didn't compensate enough and left my chip 12 feet short of the hole. Lesson learned and was really aggressive the rest of the round with those kinds of chips, with the exception of #9 where the pin was up front and any kind of mishit from the deep rough right of the green meant it risks going in the water. So came up a little short again for another silly bogie after a great tee shot left me 139 in and even a knockdown shot in front of the green would have been fine. Also bogied #5 getting greedy and trying to fly the bunker coming up just short and 1/2 buried right under the lip so it took me 2 to get out but wedged close to save my 5. Birdied #4 so finished the front at 2 over and was disappointed in my dumb mistakes. I don't mind bad shots but my miss should have been long on those chips, not short and I should also know better than to fly those traps on #5 without a decent wind at my back, when right of those bunkers is just fine and gives you a shot at birdie anyway. Back 9 was much better with 2 birdies and a bogie on #14 after a 3 iron left me 145 and my 9i came up a little shot and right because the wind really knocked it down. Shoulda played an 8i.

... Played with the Mrs, my son and his best friend so it was just an awesome day. He has never broken 100 and birdied #6 and had a great front 9. He needed a bogie on 18 to shoot a 99 and 3 putted form 20 get to shoot 100. It is the 4th time he has shot 100 with me and tough to watch him butcher 18 every time. But there is always tomorrow.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Stonewall's conditions were nice, a little spongy and greens were a bit on the slower side w/ the usual amount of divots.

i was looking into their b membership, and not sure if it's worth it.

Currently in Vernon Hills, can anyone recommend a local club at a good value?

Thanks!

Trying to get up N/NW of the city further than usual the week of July 4th to play a couple rounds. Anyone have thoughts/ranks on Shepard's Crook, Thunder Hawk, Stonewall?

Would play 36, either hitting up 2 courses or take advantage of a nice replay rate.

Trying to get up N/NW of the city further than usual the week of July 4th to play a couple rounds. Anyone have thoughts/ranks on Shepard's Crook, Thunder Hawk, Stonewall?

Would play 36, either hitting up 2 courses or take advantage of a nice replay rate.

I would play Stonewall and Thunderhawk.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Stonewall's conditions were nice, a little spongy and greens were a bit on the slower side w/ the usual amount of divots.

Thanks!

I'd say Stonewall and Shepherd's. Thunderhawk is nice, but the value and layout of Shepherd's definitely wins for me.

Thanks!

1. Thunderhawk

2. Stonewall

3. Shepherd's

(A great day of golf any way you do it)

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

Tough to go wrong with those three...

thunderhawk is 5 miles from shepherds

stonewall is 24 miles from thunderhask

thunderhawk and shepherd's if wanted to combine and keep the driving to a minimum between rounds.

If I had to pick one and play 36, probably Stonewall or Thunderhawk (as both are a bit pricier)

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Tough to go wrong with those three...

thunderhawk is 5 miles from shepherds

stonewall is 24 miles from thunderhask

thunderhawk and shepherd's if wanted to combine and keep the driving to a minimum between rounds.

If I had to pick one and play 36, probably Stonewall or Thunderhawk (as both are a bit pricier)

Yea, if you all are ranking them closely I will probably just do Stonewall another day that week and favor the proximity of the other two. May have a camper to use 15mi from Shepard's to cap the night as well.

I rank them: Stonewall, Shepherd’s, Thunderhawk (I know my distaste for Thunderhawk is rare.)

But, You can’t go wrong with a Shepherds/Thunderhawk day.

I’d combine Stonewall with Pine Meadow (Again, I know I’m one of the few that like it) or White Deer.

Thanks!

... I feel like I have played most of the public courses in Chicago. And I have never played any of these. I am gonna have to make a trip this summer and play them. When I lived downtown Chicago I liked to drive out to Pine Meadow when it first opened as the monks had it in pristine condition and it was one of the few courses I played where the hole you are on is pretty much the only hole you see. Most courses do not have the real estate to accomplish that feat. But I have not played it in years and do not know what the condition is these days.

Thanks!

... I feel like I have played most of the public courses in Chicago. And I have never played any of these. I am gonna have to make a trip this summer and play them. When I lived downtown Chicago I liked to drive out to Pine Meadow when it first opened as the monks had it in pristine condition and it was one of the few courses I played where the hole you are on is pretty much the only hole you see. Most courses do not have the real estate to accomplish that feat. But I have not played it in years and do not know what the condition is these days.

At Thunderhawk, every hole is isolated like that and several at Stonewall have the same feel. I'd also rank them Thunderhawk, Stonewall, Shephard's, but in terms of proximity, I'd play Thunderhawk and Shephard's. Stonewall can also be paired with Steeple Chase if you want to play an affordable but well-conditioned muni first and then hit up Stonewall.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Ravisloe yesterday. A slight drizzle upon getting there but not much else. Rough and around the greens a little bit heavy but fine. Greens understandably a little slower than normal but downhillers were still dangerous. Got stuck twice in the 12" grass faces of fairways bunkers on 3 and 9. Could barely advance the ball. They need to shave those suckers down so the ball finishes in the sand at least. Story of my day plus a one bounce fried egg on 11. Ah well. Managed to still win some cash.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

For the Thunderhawk-shepherd's 36 day, it's recommended to start at Thunderhawk as they have a driving range and Shepherd's does not

if you want to start at Shepherd's crook and have time, there is a range at the course immediately to the north...something Oaks...

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Thanks!

At Thunderhawk, every hole is isolated like that and several at Stonewall have the same feel. I'd also rank them Thunderhawk, Stonewall, Shephard's, but in terms of proximity, I'd play Thunderhawk and Shephard's. Stonewall can also be paired with Steeple Chase if you want to play an affordable but well-conditioned muni first and then hit up Stonewall.

good call on Steeplechase as it's 8 miles from Stonewall Orchard.

No range at Steeplechase, so play Stonewall first? or there is a range at Countryside, adjacent to Steeplechase if you have time and desire.

TM TP5x

As others have said, regardless of ranking, the Thunderhawk- Shepard's Crook daily double is the way to go. They're right down the street from each other. Also, as others have said, hit T-Hawk first since it has a range.

In between there's a really good Mexican joint in the strip mall you pass going from one course to the other.

... I am probably not going to do 36. After 2 back surgeries I am happy to play 18 after a long drive. So which would you guys pick if you were only gonna play one round?

hmmm

stonewall orchard - arthur hills - consistently excellent conditioning, Nice site with lots of wetlands and some woodlands, many forced carries, polarizing 18th hole (different class than bolingbrook, another arthur hills). (par 72).

thunderhawk - robert trent jones - beautiful, natural setting (lake county forest preserve), 14th hole is polarizing (short par 4 with fwy end at 225, dogleg right to green, conditioning slightly less consistent than Stonewall, back nine is 3 par 3's, three par 4's and three par 5s.

shepherd's crook - keith foster - get the bad out of the way first, next to an active landfill, the course itself is great, if not the most amazing starting 3 holes, (back and forth par 4's with increasing difficulty - may be ok because of no range), I love the two closing par 5's. Challenging greens and good use of fore bunkering to challenge golfer. conditioning is on the same level as the other two although it may not drain as well. (Par 71, front is 35, back in 36).

TM TP5x

hmmm

stonewall orchard - arthur hills - consistently excellent conditioning, Nice site with lots of wetlands and some woodlands, many forced carries, polarizing 18th hole (different class than bolingbrook, another arthur hills). (par 72).

thunderhawk - robert trent jones - beautiful, natural setting (lake county forest preserve), 14th hole is polarizing (short par 4 with fwy end at 225, dogleg right to green, conditioning slightly less consistent than Stonewall, back nine is 3 par 3's, three par 4's and three par 5s.

shepherd's crook - keith foster - get the bad out of the way first, next to an active landfill, the course itself is great, if not the most amazing starting 3 holes, (back and forth par 4's with increasing difficulty - may be ok because of no range), I love the two closing par 5's. Challenging greens and good use of fore bunkering to challenge golfer. conditioning is on the same level as the other two although it may not drain as well. (Par 71, front is 35, back in 36).

There are a lot of variables to consider. If the wind is out of the south, avoid Shepherd’s. The back nine smells like the dump. If it’s been really wet, avoid Thunderhawk. The greens really slow down, while when it’s dry they roll at a pretty consistent 10. Aesthetically, Thunderhawk is the nicest while Stonewall is, in my opinion, the most difficult. However, Stonewall is also the least walker-friendly. I don’t think they’ll let anyone walk until after 4:00, which stinks. If green speeds are your thing, Stonewall has the firmest of the three. They also have the best practice area. Shepherd’s is far more affordable than either of the other two courses, though Thunderhawk gets a lot cheaper as the day goes on. They’re all very different from each other in terms of layout. Shepherd’s blends praire and woodlands style, Thunderhawk is a woodlands course, and Stonewall has more of a modern feel to it.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

I walk Stonewall all the time, in the morning and afternoon. Both Stonewall and Thunderhawk are a flat rate walk or ride.

chisag, if your coming north for one round, it’s Stonewall.

I don’t want to bash Thunderhawk. Many really like it. I thinks it’s expensive. The conditions can vary wildly week to week. The layout lends itself to slow play. For example, the tee shot on two looks like a challenging carry, so people lose balls to the left. That always causes a back up. There’s five par threes. Most are a short iron to a fairly large green. The exception is the third, which is a good one. As previously mentioned, the 14th is a stupid hole. TH is very nice, I will play there when others really want to, it’s just never my first choice.

I walk Stonewall all the time, in the morning and afternoon. Both Stonewall and Thunderhawk are a flat rate walk or ride.

chisag, if your coming north for one round, it’s Stonewall.

I don’t want to bash Thunderhawk. Many really like it. I thinks it’s expensive. The conditions can vary wildly week to week. The layout lends itself to slow play. For example, the tee shot on two looks like a challenging carry, so people lose balls to the left. That always causes a back up. There’s five par threes. Most are a short iron to a fairly large green. The exception is the third, which is a good one. As previously mentioned, the 14th is a stupid hole. TH is very nice, I will play there when others really want to, it’s just never my first choice.

I agree with these thoughts. If I was coming up from the sw burbs for one round, I would play Stonewall. Best challenge and conditioning of the three courses mentioned. The green speeds are way too inconsistent at ThunderHawk.

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

Yep, agree on Stonewall as the pick if you can only play one.

That said, 2 back surgeries? C'mon cupcake, suck it up. You're still 5 away from catching me and 3 away from when I allow you membership in the Club where you get to b**** about your back all the time like I do.

Just messing with you...I actually had lots of issues after surgery #2 with scar tissue.

... I never complain about my back surgeries as I learned a very valuable lesson in rehab after my second one. First was a double discectomy drilling two holes in my spine and pulling out pieces of my L3 disc that had broken off and were pressing against my spinal cord. 2 years later a few more tiny pieces got thru the scar tissue and made their way back to the nerve but that surgery was much less invasive. I was doing some back exercises on a table next to a long women in her mid 20's who was doing the same exercise. I cry babied about having to leave the IPGA, couldn't play golf for awhile and probably never play basketball again and oh poor me blah, blah, blah. I asked her what kind of back surgery she had and she respond she did not have back surgery so I asked why was she in rehab.

... She froze me with "I have terminal cancer and 3-6 months to live so I am trying to keep up the quality of my life for my last few months". I started to stammer an apology and she held up her hand and said thanks but I don't want your sympathy. That was the last time I complained about my back. Other than some pain it really does not effect my golf anymore, just how much I can play in one day and how early I can start. But played 33 out of 36 days in Phoenix in March/April so I am really blessed.

... Thanks to all for the responses.

... I never complain about my back surgeries as I learned a very valuable lesson in rehab after my second one. First was a double discectomy drilling two holes in my spine and pulling out pieces of my L3 disc that had broken off and were pressing against my spinal cord. 2 years later a few more tiny pieces got thru the scar tissue and made their way back to the nerve but that surgery was much less invasive. I was doing some back exercises on a table next to a long women in her mid 20's who was doing the same exercise. I cry babied about having to leave the IPGA, couldn't play golf for awhile and probably never play basketball again and oh poor me blah, blah, blah. I asked her what kind of back surgery she had and she respond she did not have back surgery so I asked why was she in rehab.

... She froze me with "I have terminal cancer and 3-6 months to live so I am trying to keep up the quality of my life for my last few months". I started to stammer an apology and she held up her hand and said thanks but I don't want your sympathy. That was the last time I complained about my back. Other than some pain it really does not effect my golf anymore, just how much I can play in one day and how early I can start. But played 33 out of 36 days in Phoenix in March/April so I am really blessed.

Talk about perspective and how lucky we are to be able to play...even if we I suck.

... Yup, I was in my early 40's when the body starts to succumb to aging and it was a very valuable lesson both in perspective and making sure I did everything I could to improve the quality of life moving forward. Eating right, exercising, lifting weights and just putting my best foot forward and concentrating on what I can do, not what I cannot do.

Despite her lack of back surgeries, I would let her in the Club.

My word of advice to you....get in all the basketball you can. I was a diehard hooper, but after back surgery #3 at age 30 my doc forced me to retire from hoops.