Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

[quote name='Scratch2Plus' timestamp='1430711022' post='11493427']
Just got home from Kohler, WI. Played the River course first then did the Meadow Valley course. Not a huge fan of the Meadow Valley. Had great weather up there. The winds really picked on the 2nd 18. 15-25mph and I was half in the bag...
Friday, if weather cooperates, we are playing the Straits and either River or Meadows.
[/quote]

The River course is my favorite of the four. Honestly, it may be the only one that I really like!

Just got home from Kohler, WI. Played the River course first then did the Meadow Valley course. Not a huge fan of the Meadow Valley. Had great weather up there. The winds really picked on the 2nd 18. 15-25mph and I was half in the bag...
Friday, if weather cooperates, we are playing the Straits and either River or Meadows.
[/quote]

J...what is it you're not fond of? Have heard a lot of people make comparable comments on the Meadows and while I'll say it's the least memorable of the 4 courses, it's not a bad course, is it?

[quote name='Thunder Dan' timestamp='1430744651' post='11494379']
Lost Marsh yesterday, place sucks. I think at one point I kinda liked it but it's a goofy course. The par 5s are horrible. The greens were slow and shaggy, fairways were beat to crap. It was only $40 thank god.
[/quote]

I don't think anyone would disagree that it's a goofy course. Being built on an old slag heap, they didn't have much to work with. I have to imagine that the lake/pond couldn't be altered, so they had to work around it. As we've noted before, the first 5 holes are probably the toughest starting holes in Chicago golf. If you can get through them in 5+ or better on a windy day, you're doing good.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='Chicago Lefty' timestamp='1430744719' post='11494389']
I played Eaglewood yesterday. That place is a disaster. For $20 I guess it is priced right.
[/quote]

I don't think I'd go there if it was free and they gave everyone $20 just for showing up. Worst course in Chicago area IMO. Lefty, the way you hit the ball did you get to use your driver at all the entire round?

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1430751387' post='11495017']
Lost Marsh yesterday, place sucks. I think at one point I kinda liked it but it's a goofy course. The par 5s are horrible. The greens were slow and shaggy, fairways were beat to crap. It was only $40 thank god.
[/quote]

I don't think anyone would disagree that it's a goofy course. Being built on an old slag heap, they didn't have much to work with. I have to imagine that the lake/pond couldn't be altered, so they had to work around it. As we've noted before, the first 5 holes are probably the toughest starting holes in Chicago golf. If you can get through them in 5+ or better on a windy day, you're doing good.
[/quote]

Yeah I know they are limited on what they could build, but I guess it's just not my kind of course.

[quote name='Thunder Dan' timestamp='1430762677' post='11496371']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah I know they are limited on what they could build, but I guess it's just not my kind of course.
[/quote]

Even with the limitations, they dropped the ball on #11 when they built it. Seems like a no brainer that it should be reversed and then you would have an island green and who doesn't love that? Also, would've given them a cool signature hole to market.

I have a love/hate relationship with Lost Marsh. It beats the hell out of you, but I like going out there and trying to do better than I have before.

[quote name='jdhallissey' timestamp='1430763337' post='11496449']
You peeps will hate me but I get to play everyday of the year down here in FL HAHA. Probably playing my club tomorrow or Hammock Dunes Creek Course.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/149-florida/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/149-florida/[/url]

Here's your new home, don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out :bigwhack:

[quote name='jdhallissey' timestamp='1430763337' post='11496449']
You peeps will hate me but I get to play everyday of the year down here in FL HAHA. Probably playing my club tomorrow or Hammock Dunes Creek Course.
[/quote]

Every day of the year? Funny, but I was down in Jacksonville and Daytona Beach in mid-February, and the courses were less than packed. The temperatures were very low, with a frost delay one morning, and it seemed that many of the locals were taking a pass. Of course, us snow birds were out in full force.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1430743045' post='11494279']
[/quote]

The River course is my favorite of the four. Honestly, it may be the only one that I really like!
[/quote]
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1430743599' post='11494311']
[/quote]

J...what is it you're not fond of? Have heard a lot of people make comparable comments on the Meadows and while I'll say it's the least memorable of the 4 courses, it's not a bad course, is it?
[/quote]

Ive only played the Straits twice and both times were in the early part of the year so the course wasnt very green but I really enjoyed the views and layout.
I would rate the River course as being a more difficult course than the Straits because of the greens and the thick vegetation-fescue around the greens.
There will always be some wind playing on the Straits but if the wind is REALLY blowing the Straits will be brutal.

G...Dont get me wrong. There were some very nice holes, and a couple of wtf, difficult holes on the MV course but nothing to really wow you.
Maybe it was the alcohol and or the 20+mph winds that kicked up that afternoon but it didnt really excite me to much.
I guess thats what you get after playing the River course but at least I can say Ive played it.

TRS 3 / Ping Max 10k Ventus Red TR 5s - Ventus + Blue 5s - TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

[quote name='Scratch2Plus' timestamp='1430782003' post='11498703']
[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1430743045' post='11494279']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1430743599' post='11494311']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ive only played the Straits twice and both times were in the early part of the year so the course wasnt very green but I really enjoyed the views and layout.
I would rate the River course as being a more difficult course than the Straits because of the greens and the thick vegetation-fescue around the greens.
There will always be some wind playing on the Straits but if the wind is REALLY blowing the Straits will be brutal.

G...Dont get me wrong. There were some very nice holes, and a couple of wtf, difficult holes on the MV course but nothing to really wow you.
Maybe it was the alcohol and or the 20+mph winds that kicked up that afternoon but it didnt really excite me to much.
I guess thats what you get after playing the River course but at least I can say Ive played it.
[/quote]
Understand that. We've always played it as the first round so it was a nice beginning. Nothing memorable necessarily.

Kind of how Lefty describes playing with the old guy. It sets him up for the real competition in all you guys who knock the heck outta the ball.

I rate the four courses in Kohler: 1) River 2) Irish 3) Straights 4) Meadow.
I think the River Course is spectacular. I only wish it was set up better for walking, The Irish is fun and playable. The Straights is great, a lot like Ballybunion, but not worth $500. The last couple of times I played it, I came away thinking I'd rather play five $100 rounds than one $500 round. The Meadow is nice, but not in the same league as the other three.

^^^ Completely agree on all counts. If it wasnt for the spring rates, I cant see myself paying $275 for the River course and definitely not $500 for the Straits.
Now Nicole the bev cart girl...noice!

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

I'm going to do my best to particiapate this time around in this thread but I don't really get out that much, so my posts will be limited.

Tomorrow-no golf.

Wb

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Always 3 sides to a story. But as far as I know, the certain "staffer" in question will no longer be a part of da HoE experience unfortunately.
I think she found a sugar daddy.

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1430762963' post='11496413']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Even with the limitations, they dropped the ball on #11 when they built it. Seems like a no brainer that it should be reversed and then you would have an island green and who doesn't love that? Also, would've given them a cool signature hole to market.

I have a love/hate relationship with Lost Marsh. It beats the hell out of you, but I like going out there and trying to do better than I have before.
[/quote]

Lol. Trust me, if they made #11 an island green, there would be plenty of detractors. 'Not everyone likes all-or-nothing island greens. The hole would no doubt be a beast, as you'd be hitting from the shelter of the trees to an unprotected green on the lake. The wind would be difficult to judge. Based on the number of balls I see in the water walking out to the tee box, I think the hole is hard enough for most golfers.

Half of LM is target golf at its "finest". However, there are a handful of risk reward holes that can make or break a round, including #4, #5, #14, and #15.

Some of you may recall a story I told last summer about playing a round with a half blind, misogynist fellow. I'll call him Mr. M. He spent the entire round ragging about the women players in front of us, even though he had less than half the talent of them from what I could see. He apparently wasn't wearing his glasses, so he couldn't see that they were frequently waiting for the greens to clear before hitting their approaches. He'd make nasty comments about their abilities, and the pace of play.

So, anyway. Guess who I got to play with this past Sunday? Yup. Him. When he got to the first tee, I was certain that I'd played with him before, but couldn't quite peg him. It didn't take long, however, The group in front of us consisted of two women, both solid players based on their tee shots (that he didn't witness), and a father playing with his 11 year old son. As we waited on the tee, the women were waiting in the fairway for the kid to hit. We could both see the young fellow struggling, but yet Mr. M starts his shtick. Oy. It's going to be a long day.

By the middle of the 2nd hole, the group in front of us had already fallen a hole behind. At this point I knew I had to take matters into my own hands. I suggested to Mr. M that for the sake of our sanity, (mostly mine), we pick up and proceed to the 3rd tee. Luckily he agreed, and after getting the OK from the group in front of us, we passed them. Fast forward to the back nine, and I could see behind us that the women had had enough, and played ahead of the man and his son.

The fact that we didn't have the women in front of us didn't seem to phase Mr. M. Throughout the round he continued to make disparaging remarks about women players. Now, given that he was playing from the blue tees, and yet could barely hit his drives 200 yards, he was in no position to talk. There was basically no where I could go, other than off the course, so I simply grinned and bit my tongue.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1430838768' post='11502581']
[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1430762963' post='11496413']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lol. Trust me, if they made #11 an island green, there would be plenty of detractors. 'Not everyone likes all-or-nothing island greens. The hole would no doubt be a beast, as you'd be hitting from the shelter of the trees to an unprotected green on the lake. The wind would be difficult to judge. Based on the number of balls I see in the water walking out to the tee box, I think the hole is hard enough for most golfers.

Half of LM is target golf at its "finest". However, there are a handful of risk reward holes that can make or break a round, including #4, #5, #14, and #15.
[/quote]

I think making the 11th an island would make the course even worse than it already is. The first few holes makes you feel as if you are playing indoors.

I guess though for guys that enjoy that type of golf and island green would make the experience all the better for them.

My beef is that I'm a fairly long hitter and I couldn't hit driver until #7. On every hole it seemed as if I had to pull an iron and hope to be in the right spot. I hit a 6 iron over a green on a Par 4 (#4). On #3 you are forced to layup and have a mid/long iron into a green that is something out of a mini golf course. There is just no consistency with the place. Seems like half the par 4s are way too easy, and the others are really hard for most golfers.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1430840866' post='11502865']
Some of you may recall a story I told last summer about playing a round with a half blind, misogynist fellow. I'll call him Mr. M. He spent the entire round ragging about the women players in front of us, even though he had less than half the talent of them from what I could see. He apparently wasn't wearing his glasses, so he couldn't see that they were frequently waiting for the greens to clear before hitting their approaches. He'd make nasty comments about their abilities, and the pace of play.

So, anyway. Guess who I got to play with this past Sunday? Yup. Him. When he got to the first tee, I was certain that I'd played with him before, but couldn't quite peg him. It didn't take long, however, The group in front of us consisted of two women, both solid players based on their tee shots (that he didn't witness), and a father playing with his 11 year old son. As we waited on the tee, the women were waiting in the fairway for the kid to hit. We could both see the young fellow struggling, but yet Mr. M starts his shtick. Oy. It's going to be a long day.

By the middle of the 2nd hole, the group in front of us had already fallen a hole behind. At this point I knew I had to take matters into my own hands. I suggested to Mr. M that for the sake of our sanity, (mostly mine), we pick up and proceed to the 3rd tee. Luckily he agreed, and after getting the OK from the group in front of us, we passed them. Fast forward to the back nine, and I could see behind us that the women had had enough, and played ahead of the man and his son.

The fact that we didn't have the women in front of us didn't seem to phase Mr. M. Throughout the round he continued to make disparaging remarks about women players. Now, given that he was playing from the blue tees, and yet could barely hit his drives 200 yards, he was in no position to talk. There was basically no where I could go, other than off the course, so I simply grinned and bit my tongue.
[/quote]

I'm just curious, where was this?

[quote name='Thunder Dan' timestamp='1430849042' post='11503797']

I think making the 11th an island would make the course even worse than it already is. The first few holes makes you feel as if you are playing indoors.

I guess though for guys that enjoy that type of golf and island green would make the experience all the better for them.

My beef is that I'm a fairly long hitter and I couldn't hit driver until #7. On every hole it seemed as if I had to pull an iron and hope to be in the right spot. I hit a 6 iron over a green on a Par 4 (#4). On #3 you are forced to layup and have a mid/long iron into a green that is something out of a mini golf course. There is just no consistency with the place. Seems like half the par 4s are way too easy, and the others are really hard for most golfers.
[/quote]

How did you not hit driver on #3? It's one of the longest par 4's in the area, playing 430 from the blues, and 474 from the tips. For us mere mortals, it typically plays like a short par 5.

A six iron on #4, the par 5? I assume you mean the short par 4 #5, which plays at [b]266 [/b]yards. Did you eat an entire box of Wheaties before the round?

Yes, there are some short par 4's, but I wouldn't say they're easy. Well, perhaps #6 and #16. The others require some level of precision off the tee, or you're going to have a tough go at the green.

[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1430849708' post='11503887']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sunset Valley.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1430849862' post='11503913']
[quote name='Thunder Dan' timestamp='1430849042' post='11503797']

[/quote]

How did you not hit driver on #3? It's one of the longest par 4's in the area, playing 430 from the blues, and 474 from the tips. For us mere mortals, it typically plays like a short par 5.

A six iron on #4, the par 5? I assume you mean the short par 4 #5, which plays at [b]266 [/b]yards. Did you eat an entire box of Wheaties before the round?

Yes, there are some short par 4's, but I wouldn't say they're easy. Well, perhaps #6 and #16. The others require some level of precision off the tee, or you're going to have a tough go at the green.

[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1430849708' post='11503887']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sunset Valley.
[/quote]

I normally land my Driver 280-285. The landing zone was much smaller for me at that length and it brought water long right into play. I hit 3 wood right and had a 8 iron into the green from 165.

#5 was playing 220 to the flag, downwind. Thats where I hit the 6 iron.

#4 I had no idea how far it was to the water, it would be nice if they posted a sign or something to give you some idea, though I was stuck hitting a 6 iron off the tee on a par 5. I could see if it was one par 5, but there are 2 others like this on the course.

I'm not trying to be a complainer, as I'll probably never play there again, but I'm just saying that they could do a better job with setting that course up and make it more fun to play.