2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Best course(s) near Elmhurst? Kind of an odd area with not many great courses...?

It’s a great area for privates (Butler, Butterfield, Chicago Highlands, Medinah), but the public courses are lacking a bit. I guess The Preserve would be the best in that area, but conditioning hasn’t been consistent there and, given its location with Salt Creek running right through it, I’m not optimistic it will ever be a pristinely-maintained course. After that, there’s Willow Crest, Oak Brook, Maple Meadows, Bloomingdale, and I guess White Pines. The truly desperate can also play Fresh Meadows. Of those...jeez. Oak Brook is probably the best. It’s certainly the best maintained.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Best course(s) near Elmhurst? Kind of an odd area with not many great courses...?

It's a great area for privates (Butler, Butterfield, Chicago Highlands, Medinah), but the public courses are lacking a bit. I guess The Preserve would be the best in that area, but conditioning hasn't been consistent there and, given its location with Salt Creek running right through it, I'm not optimistic it will ever be a pristinely-maintained course. After that, there's Willow Crest, Oak Brook, Maple Meadows, Bloomingdale, and I guess White Pines. The truly desperate can also play Fresh Meadows. Of those...jeez. Oak Brook is probably the best. It's certainly the best maintained.

Could also add Eaglewood which is very short but usually in great condition. Go shoot your best round of the year and make yourself feel good!

Fox Run in the morning...haven't played there in a couple of years.

I won't do it to myself anymore. I avoided it for the last 5-6 years but got suckered into a round earlier this year. Never again. Fairways missing grass and so hard that you cannot hold the ball in the fairway. 220 to the creek crossing the fairway on #4 and my 6-Iron goes into the creek (normally only goes 180-185). One of my least favorite holes of all time in number 13 which has no room for error outside of the 20 yard wide fairway that slopes heavily to the right. With all that said, enjoy :)

... Played Mistwood and it was the first time since the re-design. Just so much better in every way and $50 to walk is a great price for that course. But like many others, over watered fairways and greens meant soft conditions and an amazing amount of ball marks that just ruined the experience. They were so chewed up and running pretty dammed fast which is just an awful combination. No chance rolling downhill and little chance rolling uphill as the putt would almost always be bumped off line. Pace of play was an issue as well as a 3some 2 groups ahead had several holes open and we often joined the foursome in front of us on the tee, waiting for the s-l-o-w 3some to finish a hole. But all in all a very good experience and I will play Mistwood again, hopefully in less than the 20mph winds we experienced.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Still on vacation and playing golf locally. Went to Phillips Park with some relatives. First hole, pulled my driver OB. Second hole pulled my tee shot into the water. Third hole hit the ball way left on my approach OB. Birdied the 9th to shoot 44 on the front. Then got hot on the back. Birdied 11 and 12 and drove the 340 yard 13th. I didn't hit a bad putt, but lipped out another birdie. Then birdied 14 and three putted for a par on 15. Doubled 16, bogeyed 17, and just missed an eagle on 18 for a 34.

Course is in good shape for a muni. Greens were fast enough and the layout is enjoyable even though it's only 6100 yards from the tips. My uncle brought some really old clubs to hit against my gamers. I drove it 310 on 3 with my current driver and only 230 with an old persimmon. On the par 3 12th, I hit my 4 iron from 205 and a 50 year old Bobby Jones 3 iron to a 5 feet. It felt really good actually. What surprised me the most was on the par 3 10th, I hit a 9 iron from 160 to 40 feet. My uncle gave me a 45 year old Wilson Staff ball. It went about 7 yards further, just significantly lower. I thought 21st century balls were supposed to go shorter?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Fox Run in the morning...haven't played there in a couple of years.

I won't do it to myself anymore. I avoided it for the last 5-6 years but got suckered into a round earlier this year. Never again. Fairways missing grass and so hard that you cannot hold the ball in the fairway. 220 to the creek crossing the fairway on #4 and my 6-Iron goes into the creek (normally only goes 180-185). One of my least favorite holes of all time in number 13 which has no room for error outside of the 20 yard wide fairway that slopes heavily to the right. With all that said, enjoy :)

I have a soft spot for Fox Run since I grew up right near the course and it was the first 18 hole course I ever played. But you're right, the fairways got pretty thin and bare in spots. 13 is tough. I pulled my 3 iron right into the trees on the left and the ball dropped down and rolled hard right into the middle of the fairway. That's the way you have to play that hole!

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I'm preparing for a trip to Sand Valley next weekend. I'm probably going to drive up to Green Bay on Thursday morning and play Thornberry Creek, which hosts an LPGA event. I'd then make the drive to Wisconsin Rapids, and play Mammoth Dunes and Sand Valley on Friday. Saturday I'd play Sentry World before heading back. I'll find something along the way on Sunday morning.

I'm considering Washington National for my Sunday round, but I might hit Whispering Springs near Fond du Lac.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Anyone know of good fall scrambles coming up?

Crosstown Classic at Cantigny - September 23rd. It is a 2 man and I think my Fiance and I may play in it. Looking for some good ones as well.I know Harborside usually has a fall 2 man scramble/shamble/best ball.

Cantigny also has one October 6th that is a mixed format 2 man that looks like a lot of fun. I will be in St. Louis though, watching the Blues beat the Blackhawks.

Some great ones up at Evergreen and Hawk's View in Wisconsin. Evergreen is 27 holes with a steak dinner.

Crosstown Classic at Cantigny - September 23rd. It is a 2 man and I think my Fiance and I may play in it. Looking for some good ones as well.I know Harborside usually has a fall 2 man scramble/shamble/best ball.

Cantigny also has one October 6th that is a mixed format 2 man that looks like a lot of fun. I will be in St. Louis though, watching the Blues beat the Blackhawks.

Whoa. Blues beating the Hawks? You might need to be banned from this thread.

... My idea of HELLL:

... Attending a hockey game with country music playing on the PA system, a truck/tractor pull between periods and trump singing the National Anthem.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

I'm preparing for a trip to Sand Valley next weekend. I'm probably going to drive up to Green Bay on Thursday morning and play Thornberry Creek, which hosts an LPGA event. I'd then make the drive to Wisconsin Rapids, and play Mammoth Dunes and Sand Valley on Friday. Saturday I'd play Sentry World before heading back. I'll find something along the way on Sunday morning.

I'm considering Washington National for my Sunday round, but I might hit Whispering Springs near Fond du Lac.

Sounds like a solid weekend. I'm going to get out to Blackstone for round #3 this year (sadly not kidding) the day after Labor Day. Going to take another day off sometime in mid-September and go play Hawk's View then likely call it a year with 4 rounds total this year.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

Broken Arrow tomorrow morning. With rain, it looks like I'll only get in one round.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Old Oak this morning.. it was a 80+ person outing, so no real expectations there/. finished in 4+!hours,, which was awesome. The course is in decent condition, but my putting is atrocious at best. 3-putted the 3 of the first 4 greens, and managed to miss a 1-footer (no gimmes).

Birthday tomorrow, so no real plans - but cantigny Sunday morning. Should be fun - only played it once beforeS

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Enjoy.

Next golf for me is likely Wednesday at mt prospect

Got almost an inch of rain in northern Libertyville overnight

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Played Broken Arrow in under three hours this morning. Conditions were good everywhere except the tee boxes. It looked like someone was taking pelts with a seven iron on every box. Greens were running pretty smooth and, even though it really poured in the city overnight, Lockport didn't seem to get nearly as much rain. Sometimes the bunkers at BA get washed out but only a couple were in bad shape. Most others were pretty decent. No birdies for me but Bear rolled in two. I shot a 76.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Ah, the sweet sounds of golf balls hitting trees at the narrow confines of White Pines. Lol. I forgot how difficult this course can be if you're not hitting the ball dead straight. I was paired with another single, and a father and his nine year old son. The young man hit more fairways than the three of us combined. It reminded me of Judy Rankin's saying, "Short and straight is highly underrated."

The course was in rough shape. Wet and muddy, with numerous dead patches. The tee boxes were ugh. The greens were OK, but slow, and littered with unfixed/improperly ball marks. I'm glad I crossed this one off my list, as I don't expect to see it again.

Other than the mediocre driving, the irons were fairly decent when I actually had a shot at the green. I couldn't make a putt on the slow greens, but didn't three jack any.

Oak Brook tomorrow morning.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Ah, the sweet sounds of golf balls hitting trees at the narrow confines of White Pines. Lol. I forgot how difficult this course can be if you're not hitting the ball dead straight. I was paired with another single, and a father and his nine year old son. The young man hit more fairways than the three of us combined. It reminded me of Judy Rankin's saying, "Short and straight is highly underrated."

The course was in rough shape. Wet and muddy, with numerous dead patches. The tee boxes were ugh. The greens were OK, but slow, and littered with unfixed/improperly ball marks. I'm glad I crossed this one off my list, as I don't expect to see it again.

Other than the mediocre driving, the irons were fairly decent when I actually had a shot at the green. I couldn't make a putt on the slow greens, but didn't three jack any.

Oak Brook tomorrow morning.

Remember going out to White Pines expecting a Cog Hill 1 or 3 course. Forget what course at WP we played but do remember hitting my 4 iron a few times to escape the treeline.

15 hcp

Remember going out to White Pines expecting a Cog Hill 1 or 3 course. Forget what course at WP we played but do remember hitting my 4 iron a few times to escape the treeline.

Three of the five par 3s were brutal on the East course, playing 185, 200, and 215. Each had a large tree (that needed trimming) in the direct line to the flag, so one had to work the ball to have a chance of being close.

Fox Run was probably the slowest round of the year. Behind a 3 some who got lost and played the wrong hole and seemingly waited for them on every shot. Stopped a ranger and mentioned that there was an open hole in front of them. He said it wasn't them, it was the group in front of them. What??? Decent conditions in the fairways for the most part. Greens a but rough like most in the area this time of year.

Went to the range on Meacham before the round. It was in outstanding condition. Nice to hit off well manicured turf.

Sure is foggy out here this morning. Been 9 holes of this already.7144f2c63845b401935ece28f80423bd.jpg8a580c963896c0eea36a10694a112bf8.jpg

That's what we dealt with at Ledges last week. What course are you at?

Piretti Cottonwood II

wow. just wow. .Sportsman's was a mixed bag.

by the turn we had some sunlight. most of the round was just fog and haze.

observed many traps with standing water and a few areas just sodden.

either my new shoes leaked or the ground water wicked thru my socktops.

glad we all knew the layout. shooting blind past 125 for the front nine.

still, good pace at 3:25.

best to all.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Oak Brook this morning. 'Must have got lucky with the fog, as it was generally clear. That didn't help the pace, though. I swear some rangers have rocks between their ears. We were waiting on practically every shot all day. As we waited to hit our approaches on the 15th, and the ranger pulls up and asks me how I'm doing. A few minutes earlier I had noticed that the group 3 in front of us had fallen a hole and a half behind. When we were on the 15th tee, they were hitting their 2nd shots on the par 5 16th, but the group in front of them was teeing off on 18. I told the ranger my day would be going better if he told the slow group to get back into position. He said, "Oh, so it's not you guys that are slow?" Hmm, maybe the group in front of us on the green might be a clue?

Apparently he had stopped to chat with the group behind us, and they complained about the pace. He had to have assumed it was us. I told him that if he had driven the course backwards like he's supposed to do, he would have seen the 1 1/2 hole gap. Dipsh*t.

The course was in nice shape, but the greens were excruciatingly slow. Uphill putts were coming up 3 and 4 feet short all day fro everyone in our group.

Poor day with the driver, hitting only 5 fairways. Too many going to far left. I still managed 11 greens, which considering I only hit the green on 3 of the 4 par 3's, meant the driver misses weren't too punishing.

Cantigny Woodside/Lakeside this morning. Not a big fan of paying $110 to play a round (at least around Chicago, but I guess it is what it is). Course is in superb condition. Greens were as good as I’ve played all year long - probably 10-11, which was plenty to keep you honest.

Game is still MIA - didn’t get a par until 7th hole - shot miserable 45 on front (Woodside). Couple silly bogeys to start the back 9, but finished the round with 7 straight pars - 38.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Cantigny Woodside/Lakeside this morning. Not a big fan of paying $110 to play a round (at least around Chicago, but I guess it is what it is). Course is in superb condition. Greens were as good as I've played all year long - probably 10-11, which was plenty to keep you honest.

Game is still MIA - didn't get a par until 7th hole - shot miserable 45 on front (Woodside). Couple silly bogeys to start the back 9, but finished the round with 7 straight pars - 38.

It is in great shape but overpriced. You are also looking at a 4.5 hour round minimum on weekends because they send people out on the first hole of all three nines. If you finish your first nine in 1:40 you can easily be looking at 30 minutes on ice waiting for the tee sheet to clear on your back nine. It's a ridiculous system given what they charging. I'd rather play Arrowhead for $50 less.

Cantigny isn't overpriced for a nice course in DuPage County

I agree. Compared to other courses I think Cantigny for 100 bucks is about right. I'd rather play Cantigny for $100 over Bolingbrook $90, Seven Bridges $120, Arrowhead $85 Dubs $155 (Dubs twilight is great though, 100 bucks and no one is ever out there), Orchard Valley $80 etc.