2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Last Fall, I asked Ultimate if they could check loft/lie and adjust if needed, and they said they'd need to send the clubs out somewhere and it was usually a 24-36 hour turnaround. I'm not sure if it was the adjusting part that would require that, or if they don't even have the equipment to measure clubs.

FWIW, I ended up taking them to the PGASS in Downers Grove to have them checked and bent back to factory specs as needed. They charged $24.99 for 8 irons. Subsequently, I did a fitting at Club Champion in Willowbrook and asked them to double check a couple of the clubs. They were spot on to factory loft/lie. Also, if you have CC adjust loft/lie, they charge $10 per club.

If you bought your clubs from club champion they will do it for free whenever you want. I bought clubs from there 5 years ago and stop in twice a year, never charge me a dime

For what they charge for clubs, they ought to!

Cobra KING LTD Pro 8.5º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 15º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
*Titleist 816H2 21º (C1) - Graphite Design AD DI 105S (Double Eagle/Albatross 7/15/17)

OR - *Titleist 712U 3i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 712U 4i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08, SM6 50.12F, SM6 56.14F bent to 55 True Temper DG S200
Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks V-Grind 60.10 True Temper DG S200
Scotty Cameron Bullseye Blade By Titleist

Was in Gurnee over the weekend and it was kind of surprising to see snow covering the ground up there still.

I was about to say that I have 6-8 inches in my yard still.

Your putter is sick. I also have a custom golo 3. Did you have that done through scotty custom shop?

Thank you!

JRich, the putter spa guy, did all the work.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Was in Gurnee over the weekend and it was kind of surprising to see snow covering the ground up there still.

Your putter is sick. I also have a custom golo 3. Did you have that done through scotty custom shop?

Thank you!

Never heard of him. I am going to have to check it out. Thanks!

Was your putter originally black?

Thank you!

I picked it up used.

It looked like Jaws was flossing with it.

Putter Spa did a black jack finish, black shaft, and paint filled the lime green.

I sent the grip and custom weights in with the head.

It was around $150 or so.

Here are some before and after shots:

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Thank you!

I picked it up used.

It looked like Jaws was flossing with it.

Putter Spa did a black jack finish, black shaft, and paint filled the lime green.

I sent the grip and custom weights in with the head.

It was around $150 or so.

Here are some before and after shots:

Wow, that is impressive. What was the turnaround time on that? (I realize I should have just PMed you, but that is my last question haha)

I think it took him only 3-4 days to do the job.

The rest was shipping back and forth.

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Would it be foolish to plan on playing this Wednesday in the Chicagoland area? If not, where should I go? Weather doesn't seem too bad, other than rain.

Impossible to say at this point. Personally I don't trust the forecast more than 48 hours out...especially for precipitation. It's going to be a good mix of frozen/soggy for who knows how long. I'm hoping to walk 9 holes at some point next week if we catch a break from the wind/rain.

Would it be foolish to plan on playing this Wednesday in the Chicagoland area? If not, where should I go? Weather doesn't seem too bad, other than rain.

Depends on how badly you want to play. Ground currently is frozen, if it warms up it will likely be a soggy mess, if it rains even worse. Grass is still dormant so you'll just be knocking a ball around rough terrain.

Looks awesome! How do they smooth out the metal finish to get rid of the dings? I'm no metal worker, but it seems the only way to do that is to polish it down, which removes material. Did that happen, and how much does it impact the weight of the putter?

Looks awesome! How do they smooth out the metal finish to get rid of the dings? I'm no metal worker, but it seems the only way to do that is to polish it down, which removes material. Did that happen, and how much does it impact the weight of the putter?

He did buff the dings out.

To be honest, I didn’t weigh it before or after but I did install the 30 gram weights anticipating a slight weight loss.

It feels pretty balanced with the oversized Pure grip.

I have another Golo3 with 15 gram weights that feels lighter, so the weight loss couldn’t have been that significant.

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

I'm planning to travel to Green Bay on July 4th to catch the LPGA at Thornberry Creek on Friday, and Saturday morning. I'm looking to play a round on the way up, and on the way back, preferably in the Milwaukee area. Would Washington County and Brown Deer Park be the choices?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I'm planning to travel to Green Bay on July 4th to catch the LPGA at Thornberry Creek on Friday, and Saturday morning. I'm looking to play a round on the way up, and on the way back, preferably in the Milwaukee area. Would Washington County and Brown Deer Park be the choices?

You could go a little north of Milwaukee up I-43 and play Fire Ridge or The Bog. (With FR being a better value. People generally have a hate-hate relationship with the Bog's price, forced carries and blind shots.) Obviously, if you didn't want Kohler, you could try The Bull in Sheboygan. For that matter, you could just play Brown County in Green Bay.

On the 41 side, Washington County, definitely. I've heard Rolling Meadows in Fond du Lac is a decent track (but not WC). The other course that is decent on the way up is Chaska in Appleton. Camelot in Lomira is a minor hidden gem, but not on par with WC, either.

So, yeah. WashCo and Brown Deer! Have fun!

I vote for the bull if you haven't played that in Sheboygan. That's a fantastic track.

I should have mentioned that I've played the Bull. 'Great track. Rolling Meadows was played last year on my Sun Valley trip. 'Decent, but not worth a 2nd visit. I played the Bog a few years back, and didn't care for it. As noted, too quirky with the forced carries, and the need for precision off the tee to position oneself for the doglegs.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I should have mentioned that I've played the Bull. 'Great track. Rolling Meadows was played last year on my Sun Valley trip. 'Decent, but not worth a 2nd visit. I played the Bog a few years back, and didn't care for it. As noted, too quirky with the forced carries, and the need for precision off the tee to position oneself for the doglegs.
Have you played Strawberry Creek in Kenosha? If you can find a member friend to get you out, it's fantastic! KCC is also awesome.

Had a lesson with Tim over at Golf in Motion this past Sunday. I can't say enough about him if you're looking for an instructor. Well worth the 1:20 I travel each way to see him. Told me he's hoping to expand the location he's in a bit sometime soon when the business he shares space with moves out.

On another note, the rain this weekend should get rid of the snow and start a thaw. Spring seems to be on the way.... Just in time for Baby H to come. I hope to play at least a couple of times before she makes her entrance!

Best courses for drainage?

Had a lesson with Tim over at Golf in Motion this past Sunday. I can't say enough about him if you're looking for an instructor. Well worth the 1:20 I travel each way to see him. Told me he's hoping to expand the location he's in a bit sometime soon when the business he shares space with moves out.

On another note, the rain this weekend should get rid of the snow and start a thaw. Spring seems to be on the way.... Just in time for Baby H to come. I hope to play at least a couple of times before she makes her entrance!

Best courses for drainage?

Fox Bend shouldn't be too bad, all things considered. They will be open and will be a cheap, less than $1 per hole round.

No, I haven't played Strawberry Creek. With nearly 500 courses played, I've only played a handful of private courses. Don't know too many club members.

I'm looking to be a member at Black Sheep this year. I like the golf-only focus of the club and the initiation and dues are exactly what I'm looking for. 27 vs. 18 holes is also a huge plus. Lots of good things to like. However, I don't know what the culture of the club is like. Are the members 'nice' and accepting of new members? Is it difficult to get a game going? Is it so busy on the weekend mornings where I can't get on? I know they are limited to 250 members, which is quite small.

I'm looking to be a member at Black Sheep this year. I like the golf-only focus of the club and the initiation and dues are exactly what I'm looking for. 27 vs. 18 holes is also a huge plus. Lots of good things to like. However, I don't know what the culture of the club is like. Are the members 'nice' and accepting of new members? Is it difficult to get a game going? Is it so busy on the weekend mornings where I can't get on? I know they are limited to 250 members, which is quite small.

Always wanted to check out this course. Curious to hear what you find out / what your experience might be. How far from the course do you live? The atmosphere appears to be something just like what I'm looking for but it wouldn't be the most convenient of locations for me.

The Bull is a great course. Washington County is always a good choice, but for my $.02 Brown Deer is a real test.

I really like Brown Deer. It's tight in spots but will test your placement and patience. A classic parkland course in the midwest. Worth a play and don't miss the plaque on the 10th hole commemorating Tiger's first professional shot.

Although I'm not a member at The Sheep, I know a few members and am good friends with someone who works there. Based on what I've experienced there over the last few years, it's a pretty laid back club, and the several other members I've met are not stuffy or pretentious. It's like a poker group, but on the golf course (as in I' ve seen guys doing their FFL draft in the clubhouse).

The one thing I can't speak to is how easy it is to get a game. When I've played, the course has been fairly wide open, so maybe there could be a concern with how many guys are out there at any one time (interesting problem to have, I suppose). I have a feeling that's mainly due to the distance - might not be a lot of members who just pop over for a round.

If you're interested in an intro to my buddy, PM me and I'll facilitate it.

Interested in this as well. I've been wanting to pull the trigger on this for awhile but I have two daughters and my wife's response is "If you feel this is something you need to do I guess you should probably just go ahead and do it then". To non-married guys, that is the danger zone comment.

Given my "house makeup" of 3 women and me it's likely we'll be joining St. Charles CC, Elgin CC, or something similar but BSGC looks awesome.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

Interested in this as well. I've been wanting to pull the trigger on this for awhile but I have two daughters and my wife's response is "If you feel this is something you need to do I guess you should probably just go ahead and do it then". To non-married guys, that is the danger zone comment.

Given my "house makeup" of 3 women and me it's likely we'll be joining St. Charles CC, Elgin CC, or something similar but BSGC looks awesome.

So I almost joined Black Sheep last year, it is a hell of a deal. I didn't realize it was men only though and that put an end to that. My fiance is a better golfer than me, so that just didn't fly with her, which I get. We usually play together anyway. But I have a couple friends out there. If you want golf, and only golf it is an awesome place. I don't care for tennis clubs, pools, brunches etc. it would have been perfect. As far as it being crowded, that isn't a real worry you need to have. I was out there and barely noticed anyone else. It is far west, not a ton of members, and 27 holes. You'll never really have a over crowded problem. They ran a great deal last year for under 35 I believe it was. If you fall in that category I'd shoot them an email and ask about the Jr Membership deal.