Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

> @Dashfast said:

> Played Lake Bluff Golf Club today and had a nice time. Was able to fly through and the regulars I met were super friendly (as were the staff). Course was in good shape (albeit a few soggy patches) and it was a fun track. I've been enjoying my tour of the "North Shore" courses (Wilmette, Glencoe, Sunset Valley, Lake Bluff). Are there any other courses in that general vicinity that I should play? Cheers.

I actually like Foss Park a lot. It's in pretty good shape and has some interesting holes. Not expensive either. It's in North Chicago, but really a fun visit if you're out that way.

Playing the CDGA Four Ball qualifier at Heritage Bluffs on 7/1. Looks like -3 qualified last year. A couple questions for the group:

1.) Has anyone played in the event before? How is it run?

2.) How is the course? Never played it and don't know if I have time to squeeze in a practice round. Any tips?

Hope to see some of you out there trying to qualify as well!

> @jimwgt26 said:

> I like Heritage Bluff, wish it was closer to home.

Agreed. There are a few quirky holes. #18 is a b-tch. 'Nice elevation changes. The routing was obviously done by a drunk sailor. 'Tough to walk with the crisscrossing holes and the poor signage (for first time visitors),

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Inwood GC in Joliet on Saturday morning. 'Probably going to swing by Woodruff in the late morning for another 18. Wedgewood has nine holes under renovation, so I'll likely play it later this summer.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @MountainKing said:

> > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > > @jimwgt26 said:

> > > > On my way home from Southern WI, I played my first round at Balckstone yesterday. It’s always been on my radar, but Marengo isn’t really convenient. I Played the black/gold combo which was perfect. The course was reasonably dry, and the greens are great. Not the best course to walk, there’s a few long hikes: 8 green to 9 tee, 9 green to 10 tee, 12 to 13 and 15 to 16. I remember DP grumbling about a par 3, I’m guessing that would be 17? I thought the layout was fun, a few of the par 4’s on the back are challenging. I had breaking 80 in the bag, but hit my only bad drive of the day on 18. It lead to a double and 81.

> > >

> > > Glad you got to play there...one of the better courses in our area! My grumbling is on #5. You probably played it from 200-210ish. That green is so tiny for a par 3 of that length and I'm not sure I've ever seen it birdied and par on that hole is a great score. How were the bugs?

> >

> > That was the one hole I really thought was weird and out of place on the course. We did the combo tees also but I opted to play that one all the way back since I prefer to hit my hybrid over my long irons. I hit a pretty solid shot, it hit the green and took a hard bounce off of the green. My buddy played it from the gold tees and he also had the same issue. We both tried to run one up from that area and still couldn't work it out. I'm not sure what the key is to that hole, but it's poorly designed for sure and not receptive to the shots it seems to require to hit the green. That type of green design is the what I would expect on a 150 yard par 3, from 230 if you hit the green the design should try to keep the shot on the green or the fringe at best.

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Agree completely. I've gone to playing to the front edge and trying to make 3 that way. Of course, when I say front edge I mean the trees on the right or left.

Because of how everything slopes I'm not sure you can avoid the trees on either side without being 50 yards short of the green. I'd like to play the ho> @CRDuffy21 said:

> Playing the CDGA Four Ball qualifier at Heritage Bluffs on 7/1. Looks like -3 qualified last year. A couple questions for the group:

> 1.) Has anyone played in the event before? How is it run?

> 2.) How is the course? Never played it and don't know if I have time to squeeze in a practice round. Any tips?

> Hope to see some of you out there trying to qualify as well!

Course is awesome. Not sure if you'll play it 1-18 or scramble style since I'm not familiar with the event but hole 1 kind of gives you a false sense of the course. It doesn't really kick until hole 2. It can play tough and it's not very forgiving to shots that don't hit the fairway or greens. Depending on the tees and your length a lot of holes out there will require less than driver (especially 18). If you can't get out there try to get a good look at the holes on Google maps, you have to be careful on some holes because the line it appears you should take off the tee is not the line at all.

And yes, Arg is right, the routing is super goofy, even after playing it numerous times I forget which way is which.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Playing Silver Lake's South course with my traveling league this weekend. I always feel good about my prospects going into that course since there are so many shorter holes and not a lot of overall difficulty - in fact, I played my career low round there. BUT...some part of my game sometimes finds a way to crap out and make the day more challenging than it should be.

> @DeeBee30 said:

> Playing Silver Lake's South course with my traveling league this weekend. I always feel good about my prospects going into that course since there are so many shorter holes and not a lot of overall difficulty - in fact, I played my career low round there. BUT...some part of my game sometimes finds a way to crap out and make the day more challenging than it should be.

It's interesting finishing both 9's on a par 3. Not sure there are many courses in Chicago like that.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @DeeBee30 said:

> > Playing Silver Lake's South course with my traveling league this weekend. I always feel good about my prospects going into that course since there are so many shorter holes and not a lot of overall difficulty - in fact, I played my career low round there. BUT...some part of my game sometimes finds a way to crap out and make the day more challenging than it should be.

>

> It's interesting finishing both 9's on a par 3. Not sure there are many courses in Chicago like that.

The only other course in the Chicago area I can think of that finishes with a par 3 is Medinah #1. The Broadlands in North Prairie, WI also has a par 3 for a finisher. Personally, I don't mind closing that way (it still happens occasionally when courses send people off the back) but definitely prefer a 4 or 5.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

McHenry CC has both hole 9 and 18 as par 3’s. In fact so is hole 8.

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

Willow Crest, Longwood, and Palmira all finish with a par 3, but #9 is a par 4. Other than SL South, I can't think of a public course that has both #9 and #18 as par 3's.

Another Michigan trip in the books and now I have to suck it up and pay significantly more for courses that are not nearly as aesthetically pleasing, unique or challenging. The folks in Michigan don't know how good they've got it. Diamond Springs was very cool. The one cut works because, despite exceptionally wide fairways, positioning is of the utmost importance. I found myself hitting lots of fairway wood off the tee because I was getting plenty of roll and I had a lot more control. The greens on every par three and five as well as the short 4's were extremely tricked out and a huge ravine played into the closing holes, which added an extra wrinkle. It was fascinating to see a course look so forgiving to the naked eye yet have so many subtle and not-so-subtle defenses built in. It could probably use a combo tee since it's either over 6800 yards or around 6000 yards but that, as well as the amount of mosquitoes, is my only critique. 76.

Angel's Crossing is a gigantic piece of property. I can see why it was once a semi-private but was sold to the village of Vicksburg. The maintenance costs must be astronomical. The greens at Angel's are insane. There's nothing discreet about 60-yard long and wide roller coasters that look like they have elephants buried underneath. Unlike the other courses on the trip, there was no tree coverage so when the sun beat down on us there was nowhere to hide. I love that weather. Bear...not so much. I was really impressed with the overall layout but it's not the most walker-friendly facility, and certainly not for two idiots who were trying to play 72 holes in two days. My ball striking was really good and I adjusted to the JPX 919 Tours pretty well. Every iron looks bigger than those Cobra MB/CB combos but it look me a couple of rounds to adjust to what I was looking down at. I digress. 75.

Piretti Cottonwood II

> @ldchristopher said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @DeeBee30 said:

> > > Playing Silver Lake's South course with my traveling league this weekend. I always feel good about my prospects going into that course since there are so many shorter holes and not a lot of overall difficulty - in fact, I played my career low round there. BUT...some part of my game sometimes finds a way to crap out and make the day more challenging than it should be.

> >

> > It's interesting finishing both 9's on a par 3. Not sure there are many courses in Chicago like that.

>

> The only other course in the Chicago area I can think of that finishes with a par 3 is Medinah #1. The Broadlands in North Prairie, WI also has a par 3 for a finisher. Personally, I don't mind closing that way (it still happens occasionally when courses send people off the back) but definitely prefer a 4 or 5.

Valley Ridge, formerly known as Antioch Golf Course, finishes up with a TOUGH par 3.

> @ldchristopher said:

> Another Michigan trip in the books and now I have to suck it up and pay significantly more for courses that are not nearly as aesthetically pleasing, unique or challenging. The folks in Michigan don't know how good they've got it. Diamond Springs was very cool. The one cut works because, despite exceptionally wide fairways, positioning is of the utmost importance. I found myself hitting lots of fairway wood off the tee because I was getting plenty of roll and I had a lot more control. The greens on every par three and five as well as the short 4's were extremely tricked out and a huge ravine played into the closing holes, which added an extra wrinkle. It was fascinating to see a course look so forgiving to the naked eye yet have so many subtle and not-so-subtle defenses built in. It could probably use a combo tee since it's either over 6800 yards or around 6000 yards but that, as well as the amount of mosquitoes, is my only critique. 76.

>

> Angel's Crossing is a gigantic piece of property. I can see why it was once a semi-private but was sold to the village of Vicksburg. The maintenance costs must be astronomical. The greens at Angel's are insane. There's nothing discreet about 60-yard long and wide roller coasters that look like they have elephants buried underneath. Unlike the other courses on the trip, there was no tree coverage so when the sun beat down on us there was nowhere to hide. I love that weather. Bear...not so much. I was really impressed with the overall layout but it's not the most walker-friendly facility, and certainly not for two idiots who were trying to play 72 holes in two days. My ball striking was really good and I adjusted to the JPX 919 Tours pretty well. Every iron looks bigger than those Cobra MB/CB combos but it look me a couple of rounds to adjust to what I was looking down at. I digress. 75.

As many here know, I'll definitely create my own combo if the distance between tees is too great. 300 to 400 yards (max) should be the general rule.

There's no shame in pulling out an umbrella in hot conditions. Yeah, Angel's Crossing is a great piece of land.

> @ldchristopher said:

> Another Michigan trip in the books and now I have to suck it up and pay significantly more for courses that are not nearly as aesthetically pleasing, unique or challenging. The folks in Michigan don't know how good they've got it. Diamond Springs was very cool. The one cut works because, despite exceptionally wide fairways, positioning is of the utmost importance. I found myself hitting lots of fairway wood off the tee because I was getting plenty of roll and I had a lot more control. The greens on every par three and five as well as the short 4's were extremely tricked out and a huge ravine played into the closing holes, which added an extra wrinkle. It was fascinating to see a course look so forgiving to the naked eye yet have so many subtle and not-so-subtle defenses built in. It could probably use a combo tee since it's either over 6800 yards or around 6000 yards but that, as well as the amount of mosquitoes, is my only critique. 76.

>

> Angel's Crossing is a gigantic piece of property. I can see why it was once a semi-private but was sold to the village of Vicksburg. The maintenance costs must be astronomical. The greens at Angel's are insane. There's nothing discreet about 60-yard long and wide roller coasters that look like they have elephants buried underneath. Unlike the other courses on the trip, there was no tree coverage so when the sun beat down on us there was nowhere to hide. I love that weather. Bear...not so much. I was really impressed with the overall layout but it's not the most walker-friendly facility, and certainly not for two idiots who were trying to play 72 holes in two days. My ball striking was really good and I adjusted to the JPX 919 Tours pretty well. Every iron looks bigger than those Cobra MB/CB combos but it look me a couple of rounds to adjust to what I was looking down at. I digress. 75.

What is this sun you speak of??

Glad you liked them, it's amazing how polarizing both courses can be. I played both several years back and really enjoyed them, so different than anything we can find here. I recommended them to a friend and he hated them. Couldn't stand the one cut at Diamond and felt the greens on Angels were too crazy. Will be out that direction over the 4th, might have to make a trek over to one or both while I'm there.

> @dhartmann34 said:

> Anyone considering playing in the North Shore Amateur at Sunset Valley in July?

This seems like a really cool event. I've played once at Sunset Valley this summer and really enjoyed it.

Looks like the Champ division is recommended for HCP 8 or less and plays from 6700 yards, and the open/senior division plays from 6300 yards.

As a 18-20ish handicap, do you think it would be reasonable for me to sign up and play in the Open division? I've never played in an organized golf tournament before, usually shoot in the low 90's from 6000-6300ish yards. Only concern is I'm the worst player there by far!

> @Mapz said:

> > @dhartmann34 said:

> > Anyone considering playing in the North Shore Amateur at Sunset Valley in July?

>

> This seems like a really cool event. I've played once at Sunset Valley this summer and really enjoyed it.

>

> Looks like the Champ division is recommended for HCP 8 or less and plays from 6700 yards, and the open/senior division plays from 6300 yards.

> As a 18-20ish handicap, do you think it would be reasonable for me to sign up and play in the Open division? I've never played in an organized golf tournament before, usually shoot in the low 90's from 6000-6300ish yards. Only concern is I'm the worst player there by far!

Go have fun and play!

• Like 1

> @ldchristopher said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @DeeBee30 said:

> > > Playing Silver Lake's South course with my traveling league this weekend. I always feel good about my prospects going into that course since there are so many shorter holes and not a lot of overall difficulty - in fact, I played my career low round there. BUT...some part of my game sometimes finds a way to crap out and make the day more challenging than it should be.

> >

> > It's interesting finishing both 9's on a par 3. Not sure there are many courses in Chicago like that.

>

> The only other course in the Chicago area I can think of that finishes with a par 3 is Medinah #1. The Broadlands in North Prairie, WI also has a par 3 for a finisher. Personally, I don't mind closing that way (it still happens occasionally when courses send people off the back) but definitely prefer a 4 or 5.

Riverside also finishes with a par 3.

> @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> > @ldchristopher said:

> > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > > @DeeBee30 said:

> > > > Playing Silver Lake's South course with my traveling league this weekend. I always feel good about my prospects going into that course since there are so many shorter holes and not a lot of overall difficulty - in fact, I played my career low round there. BUT...some part of my game sometimes finds a way to crap out and make the day more challenging than it should be.

> > >

> > > It's interesting finishing both 9's on a par 3. Not sure there are many courses in Chicago like that.

> >

> > The only other course in the Chicago area I can think of that finishes with a par 3 is Medinah #1. The Broadlands in North Prairie, WI also has a par 3 for a finisher. Personally, I don't mind closing that way (it still happens occasionally when courses send people off the back) but definitely prefer a 4 or 5.

>

> Riverside also finishes with a par 3.

Bartlett Hills as well with clubhouse overlooking green

1W: TM Sim Max 10.5° (down 2) - Tensei Orange 70TX

3W: TM Sim Max 15° - Mitsubishi Chemical Diamana F Limited 75

3I: Titleist T200 20°

4-G: Cobra Forged Tec Black - KBS $ Taper 130x

SW: Titleist SM8 54 - DG S400

LW: Titleist SM8 58 - DG S400

P: Swag Suave Too

Ball: TM TP5x

> @Mapz said:

> > @dhartmann34 said:

> > Anyone considering playing in the North Shore Amateur at Sunset Valley in July?

>

> This seems like a really cool event. I've played once at Sunset Valley this summer and really enjoyed it.

>

> Looks like the Champ division is recommended for HCP 8 or less and plays from 6700 yards, and the open/senior division plays from 6300 yards.

> As a 18-20ish handicap, do you think it would be reasonable for me to sign up and play in the Open division? I've never played in an organized golf tournament before, usually shoot in the low 90's from 6000-6300ish yards. Only concern is I'm the worst player there by far!

Definitely! It's all about having fun and getting the experience. I don't plan to win, but I really need to get more experience playing in competitive events again. Plus, they give you lunch and it's a great price for a good course. Nothing not to like about it. Make sure you know the basic rules of golf and enjoy the company of the others you get to meet. :-)

> @VNutz said:

> > @ldchristopher said:

> > Another Michigan trip in the books and now I have to suck it up and pay significantly more for courses that are not nearly as aesthetically pleasing, unique or challenging. The folks in Michigan don't know how good they've got it. Diamond Springs was very cool. The one cut works because, despite exceptionally wide fairways, positioning is of the utmost importance. I found myself hitting lots of fairway wood off the tee because I was getting plenty of roll and I had a lot more control. The greens on every par three and five as well as the short 4's were extremely tricked out and a huge ravine played into the closing holes, which added an extra wrinkle. It was fascinating to see a course look so forgiving to the naked eye yet have so many subtle and not-so-subtle defenses built in. It could probably use a combo tee since it's either over 6800 yards or around 6000 yards but that, as well as the amount of mosquitoes, is my only critique. 76.

> >

> > Angel's Crossing is a gigantic piece of property. I can see why it was once a semi-private but was sold to the village of Vicksburg. The maintenance costs must be astronomical. The greens at Angel's are insane. There's nothing discreet about 60-yard long and wide roller coasters that look like they have elephants buried underneath. Unlike the other courses on the trip, there was no tree coverage so when the sun beat down on us there was nowhere to hide. I love that weather. Bear...not so much. I was really impressed with the overall layout but it's not the most walker-friendly facility, and certainly not for two idiots who were trying to play 72 holes in two days. My ball striking was really good and I adjusted to the JPX 919 Tours pretty well. Every iron looks bigger than those Cobra MB/CB combos but it look me a couple of rounds to adjust to what I was looking down at. I digress. 75.

>

> What is this sun you speak of??

>

> Glad you liked them, it's amazing how polarizing both courses can be. I played both several years back and really enjoyed them, so different than anything we can find here. I recommended them to a friend and he hated them. Couldn't stand the one cut at Diamond and felt the greens on Angels were too crazy. Will be out that direction over the 4th, might have to make a trek over to one or both while I'm there.

I really liked Diamond Springs, and I was fine with the one-cut. The green complexes were very fair, with the easier holes getting the more tricked out greens. The ravine is used so well in the design, loved it. I will say, I guess due to all the rain, the native grasses were incredibly thick. Go in and death. Lost my tee shot on #9 playing it too far right away from the ravine. I mention this because the pictures I saw beforehand of the course the native areas looked wispy and playable. LD and I were the first guys out, but as we walked back to the parking lot after finishing, we passed #1 and #2. Horribly jammed up, with multiple groups looking for balls in the tall grass. I thought the one-cut with a border of native grasses could help speed up play, but that grass is so thick, it might make it worse. Extremely pleased we got the first tee time, otherwise it had the real potential to be a horrible death march.

I thought Angels was ok. Great piece of land, no question. But, the greens were just too much for me. I don't know if I would seek it out again on another trip to Michigan.

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

> @VNutz said:

> How were the bugs? Last time I played Diamond there was a section of the course that was really swampy and the mosquitoes were brutal. With all the rain MI has gotten this year I'd think it would be similar.

The mosquitoes were bad. Not awful or unplayable, but Deep Woods Off was my cologne of choice and I had to reapply it after nine holes. I wouldn't spend too much time in native grass that was that thick without long pants or a pre-round deet bath. It looked like tick central. That said, I don't have any bites on me and I didn't need to rush or anything.

I can see why some people might not like the one cut. It was mowed really tight. I'm a good wedge player but I chunked a couple of 58 degree wedges because I don't use a lot of wrist in my short pitches. The really tight one cut demands either less loft via a bump and run or more wrist.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Last minute round at Cog #2. Not surprisingly, course was wet - zero roll in fairways and on greens. Besides being wet, the course is in fine shape. Greens were little shaggy (and slow), but rolled pretty true. Finally got a birdie (first one in 4 rounds!) and continued the no-double-or-worse streak (also 4 rounds). Few loose shots cost me some silly bogies (laying up in a pond on a par 5 - not cool), but overall shot 77. Could/should have been much better.

Played the front 9 in 1.5 hours (CPO) and back in 2.5 ?).

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

> @DavePelz4 said:

> To put into perspective how much rain we've had, the water level of Lake Michigan is up over 6 inches which represents 2.3 Trillion gallons of water in 30 days.

If the water was poured into one gallon jugs, and stacked on top of each other, the stack would reach from the surface of the Sun to 24 million miles past the orbit of Mars.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > To put into perspective how much rain we've had, the water level of Lake Michigan is up over 6 inches which represents 2.3 Trillion gallons of water in 30 days.

>

> If the water was poured into one gallon jugs, and stacked on top of each other, the stack would reach from the surface of the Sun to 24 million miles past the orbit of Mars.

>

I'd be thankful it's didn't get all the way to Uranus.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > To put into perspective how much rain we've had, the water level of Lake Michigan is up over 6 inches which represents 2.3 Trillion gallons of water in 30 days.

> >

> > If the water was poured into one gallon jugs, and stacked on top of each other, the stack would reach from the surface of the Sun to 24 million miles past the orbit of Mars.

> >

>

> I'd be thankful it's didn't get all the way to Uranus.

Lol. We still have 9 days left in the month.