2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

> @mci711 said:

> Scratching a course I've never played off the list tomorrow. Booked Stonewall Orchard. It is a hike to get up there, but I've always wanted to play it. Going to try and play either The Preserve or Mt Prospect this week as well. Excited to see what Stonewall has to offer though.

Stonewall has a great layout and conditioning is usually superb. The challenge level varies considerably depending on the tees you play from (master of the obvious there). It’s not super difficult from the middle tees but the tips are an entirely different entity. It plays as a par 71 in tournaments and qualifying rounds but it’s a 72 for us trunk slammers (hence the #1 handicap is a 510-yard par 5). Stonewall’s got all the Arthur Hills design characteristics. Take advantage of the first four holes. 18 gets a lot of hate because you can see three putting greens (18’s, 9’s, and the practice green) and the one you’re hitting into is the least visible, but 1-17 are all stellar. It has an excellent range and there’s a full short game area next to the third hole. It’s a very walkable course.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

> @ldchristopher said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > Scratching a course I've never played off the list tomorrow. Booked Stonewall Orchard. It is a hike to get up there, but I've always wanted to play it. Going to try and play either The Preserve or Mt Prospect this week as well. Excited to see what Stonewall has to offer though.

> Stonewall has a great layout and conditioning is usually superb. The challenge level varies considerably depending on the tees you play from (master of the obvious there). It’s not super difficult from the middle tees but the tips are an entirely different entity. It plays as a par 71 in tournaments and qualifying rounds but it’s a 72 for us trunk slammers (hence the #1 handicap is a 510-yard par 5). Stonewall’s got all the Arthur Hills design characteristics. Take advantage of the first four holes. 18 gets a lot of hate because you can see three putting greens (18’s, 9’s, and the practice green) and the one you’re hitting into is the least visible, but 1-17 are all stellar. It has an excellent range and there’s a full short game area next to the third hole. It’s a very walkable course.

>

Good to know about 18, I'll be sure to go at the right one! Thanks for the info

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @MountainKing said:

> > > @DeeBee30 said:

> > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > A very pleasant morning out at Tanna Farms. It seemed like the first round in ages where rain wasn't a possibility. My first visit to the course. I got a chance to tee it up with @DeeBee30, and the company was certainly better than the layout. I can see why the course isn't highly regarded in these parts. The quirky layout takes driver out of your hands too frequently, or requires a precision tee shot. Definitely more target golf than fire and forget. The large number of par 3s didn't bother me as much as the fact that they were all fairly boring. I don't recall too many layouts that start with a par 3 either. The conditions were OK, but no where near ideal. There were a number of very wet spots in the low areas. The bunkers were wet with standing water in most of them, and the greens were excruciatingly slow. The two of us left way too many putts short, often by 3 feet or more. Even chip shots were difficult to get close.

> > > >

> > > > Decent round off the tee, other than a few wayward shots. Wedge play once again was subpar. It's frustrating to miss several greens when you're hitting a wedge. Scrambling was decent, but the greens made it difficult to get the ball close. I made one nice 25 ft birdie putt, but that was basically blind squirrel golf.

> > > >

> > > > Overall it was a fun round with a fellow WRXer, but I won't be in a hurry to return to the course.

> > >

> > > I fully concur with @Argonne69’s assessment of Tanna. While it was a fun day with a good golfing companion - and it was nice to check off local course #103 - it’s just a so-so course that only had a couple of memorable holes along a track that meanders through a subdivision. I never really knew why it caught so much flak, but now I see. I’d hate to see what Mill Creek was like since it’s been described as even more quirky than Tanna Farms before it was put in moth balls. One other interesting note about TF is that they had sprinklers running IN some of the wetlands. Never seen that before.

> > >

> > > Edit: forgot to mention that I followed YouTuber Golf Sidekick’s advice to plant a feather for a birdie and proceeded to knock an approach stiff to 5 feet on #12 and made my only birdie of the day...I’m a believer!

> >

> > I've noticed that about the sprinklers as well, the few times I've been out there they're always on.

>

> Aren't they protected areas that they have to keep wet and growing? Every time I've played the sprinklers have been on.

>

That was the deal when the built the golf course. It's crazy but that's what they needed to do to get approval from Kane County. Mill Creek had the same requirement.

> @DeeBee30 said:

> Can anyone shed some light on the short par 3 course(s) at Randall Oaks? I don’t see any scheduling or pricing info on their website. Wondering if they’re included in green fees or separate for use as a pre-round warmup.

There's actually 2 par 3 courses there. The "Links" is a 4 hole course and everything is under 100 yards. The "Acorn" course is a 3 hole loop that you can play from different tees. It's $6.00 for each of them and I'm sure there's a replay rate if you want to play them more than once. Here's the link:

[https://randalloaksgc.com/golf-course/](https://randalloaksgc.com/golf-course/ "https://randalloaksgc.com/golf-course/")

> @mci711 said:

> Scratching a course I've never played off the list tomorrow. Booked Stonewall Orchard. It is a hike to get up there, but I've always wanted to play it. Going to try and play either The Preserve or Mt Prospect this week as well. Excited to see what Stonewall has to offer though.

I live 5 minutes from there. Was just there the other day practicing. Conditions are great. Greens are quick. Fun layout. Enjoy it!

> @Mapz said:

> Any Chicago courses allow you to bring a well-behaved dog?

>

> Just wrapped up an epic weekend of golf at Mammoth Dunes and Lawsonia Links, both were fantastic imo.

>

> At one point on MD, I sort of muttered to myself aloud, “man it would be so cool to bring my dog along for this” and my caddie told me a well-behaved leashed dog is allowed on both Sand Valley and MD, got that confirmed at the pro shop. Was chatting with the guy in pro shop at Lawsonia the next morning and he mentioned they allow it too... they even have some dog bags on hand!

>

> Anyone know of any courses around Chicago that might allow it? I wouldn’t bring her for a weekend round but I can get out during the week on occasion and would love to bring my standard poodle rather than have her sit at home by the door for 4-5 hours waiting for me!

Maybe not the type of course you're looking for, but I know Canal Shores is dog friendly. Otherwise I can't recall seeing a dog on a course in the area otherwise. Not that they're not allowed, just not sure I've seen anybody try it.

> @mci711 said:

> I've never experienced the weather forecast being so wrong like this year. Literally can't trust it from hour to hour. I'm in a complete downpour right now 2 hours ago there was no rain in the hourly. Every day seems to be wrong

The only positive is that the pop up storms move quickly, and fizzle out.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > I've never experienced the weather forecast being so wrong like this year. Literally can't trust it from hour to hour. I'm in a complete downpour right now 2 hours ago there was no rain in the hourly. Every day seems to be wrong

>

> The only positive is that the pop up storms move quickly, and fizzle out.

Those of us who've had to do major clean up of tree limbs from our driveway in order to get out of the garage again this morning would prefer the longer, less violent storms!

yes, there were some strong storms that popped up quickly and fortunately did fizzle out this past Friday.

We were at Prairie Landing and tee times got pushed back 30-45 minutes at noon.

The bunker work that Prairie Landing did 3-4 years back (reduce bunker area, and re-position and install better billy bunker lining in all bunkers really was effective as I didn't see any traps with standing water in them.

There was a lot of sand in the green-side bunkers though.

Course drained well and played excellently, but the humidity was tough.

Wind helped with comfort, but CPO made for a lot of walking.

They are adding on to their restaurant so some construction going on.

I hadn't played PL in 10 years and was happy to play it again.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

The Billy Bunker system is pretty awesome.

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Yesterday, I actually passed on a round at RF to go on a charter boat to do some Lake Michigan fishing. 1.5 hour in, we were told we had to head back due to strong storms approaching (before we left I checked the radar and there was nothing that could develop into a full- blown storm).

All is well that ends well, though.... the fishing was slow (only boated 4 Cohos in an hour of fishing), and the charter only charged us nominal $ for fuel. We’ll try again in few weeks, when the kings start coming in.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

> @Argonne69 said:

> The Billy Bunker system is pretty awesome.

Billy, Billy, Billy, Billy..

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Just finished Stonewall. Overall pretty solid. Wouldn't put it in the top tier of courses around here, but pretty good. Played in about 3:50. Which is a long time for a single, but you can't complain about a sub 4 round. The 4 ahead of me were behind a 5 somehow. 5 fratty d-bags. Watched one bury his putter a foot into a green after missing a putt. Course was soft but not cart path only. Greens and tees were in good shape. Golf is funny. Thought I played terrible on the front shot even hit the ball great on the back shot 3 over ?‍♂️ 75. 16sqfgej9q3p.jpg

7h80mggnfj9h.jpg

Also a group of older PGA guys were ahead of me for 3 holes. When they let me pass the next group was on the green of that hole and it was packed ahead of them so I played most holes twice and did a lot of chipping. That being said the group behind probably slowed the entire course to a 5+ hour round. They were 5 holes back at 1 point on the back. That can't happen on a busy course.

> @mci711 said:

> I've never experienced the weather forecast being so wrong like this year. Literally can't trust it from hour to hour. I'm in a complete downpour right now 2 hours ago there was no rain in the hourly. Every day seems to be wrong

This happens when the humidity is consistently this high. The dew point has been extremely high every day, creating these stupid pop up showers. Like Argonne said, they’re quick to pass but a nuisance that disrupts the flow of a round.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Today will be a bittersweet day. I get to play another first-time course (Randall Oaks) this morning, and exploring a new course is always fun. BUT, this will be the last round with my regular playing companion for a long time because he's moving to Denver for a new job next week. He's the kind of golfing buddy that, when one of us sees the other is calling on a weekday, you immediately answer the phone with "when and where?". We both love hitting new courses for the first time together, so our last hurrah (at least for a while) will be to check Randall Oaks off our lists.

Aside from the golfing aspect, he's truly a good friend and we've been through some mutual ups and downs together over the last 20 years. We'd been friends for a while, but he got serious about golf about 5 years ago and it really brought us together since we'd spend hours at a time talking about everything under the sun. Man, we've had some great conversations on the course. I'm happy for him career-wise, but I'll miss him.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that. If there's a bright side, maybe the two of you can meet in the Sand Hills area of Nebraska for a few rounds at Prairie Dunes and Dismal River.

'Still say you should trek a little further and play Blackstone.

@Argonne69 - turns out he's already played Blackstone without me (with a client a while back) grrr! I'll make it there...maybe on the way up next time I go to Eau Claire. And I'm gonna push him to join Castle Pines if he can since he'll be saving a boatload on taxes once he gets out of this $@#&%^! state.

Well, you were all right about The Bull at Pinehurst Farms. I have a love for courses where each hole is essentially segregated from the other holes. There are very few holes where you are next to another hole. The drive/walk between some holes on the back was majestic and I love the long par 4 with the running river/waterfall.

Overall, the course was surprisingly fair. The only hole that was a little ridiculous was #5, with nowhere to really land a tee ball. There are a few places where you can be in a fairway and blocked from going at a green due to overhanging trees but I guess you can chalk that up to being more familiar with the course and knowing which side of the fairway to be on. Greens were just rolled that morning and were extremely fast, but I like that once you get adjusted. They did not have the back tees in for some odd reason so played the blues. Tee'd off at 6:30am and played with a twosome in 3:50 minutes. For $85, this course is an absolute steal and I cannot wait to go back.

• Like 1

I'm heading up to Green Bay this long weekend to catch the LPGA at Thornberry Creek. I'm playing Washington County on the way up, and I'm hoping to hit Brown Deer on the way back. Erin Hills is also a possibility, along with another round in Green Bay.

Noticed something odd today. Went to the PGA Store in Downers Grove and there is a Golf Galaxy opening across the street. Seemed like most golf stores and Golf Galaxies, in general, were closing. Now there are 2 within a golf shot of each other. I think the guys at the PGASS are kind of cranky jerks anyway, so maybe another option will be good.

> @mci711 said:

> Noticed something odd today. Went to the PGA Store in Downers Grove and there is a Golf Galaxy opening across the street. Seemed like most golf stores and Golf Galaxies, in general, were closing. Now there are 2 within a golf shot of each other. I think the guys at the PGASS are kind of cranky jerks anyway, so maybe another option will be good.

I saw that too and was surprised. This Golf Galaxy is opening up about 200 yards from where an old Golf Galaxy closed a couple of years ago.

> @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > Noticed something odd today. Went to the PGA Store in Downers Grove and there is a Golf Galaxy opening across the street. Seemed like most golf stores and Golf Galaxies, in general, were closing. Now there are 2 within a golf shot of each other. I think the guys at the PGASS are kind of cranky jerks anyway, so maybe another option will be good.

>

> I saw that too and was surprised. This Golf Galaxy is opening up about 200 yards from where an old Golf Galaxy closed a couple of years ago.

I haven't seen a golf Galaxy in years. I thought they all closed. I was shocked.

> @mci711 said:

> Noticed something odd today. Went to the PGA Store in Downers Grove and there is a Golf Galaxy opening across the street. Seemed like most golf stores and Golf Galaxies, in general, were closing. Now there are 2 within a golf shot of each other. I think the guys at the PGASS are kind of cranky jerks anyway, so maybe another option will be good.

That is weird a golf galaxy just closed right there in the same area not too long ago.

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

> @mci711 said:

> > @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> > > @mci711 said:

> > > Noticed something odd today. Went to the PGA Store in Downers Grove and there is a Golf Galaxy opening across the street. Seemed like most golf stores and Golf Galaxies, in general, were closing. Now there are 2 within a golf shot of each other. I think the guys at the PGASS are kind of cranky jerks anyway, so maybe another option will be good.

> >

> > I saw that too and was surprised. This Golf Galaxy is opening up about 200 yards from where an old Golf Galaxy closed a couple of years ago.

>

> I haven't seen a golf Galaxy in years. I thought they all closed. I was shocked.

I thought I was crazy when I drove by there the other day and saw a Golf Galaxy sign. I kind of figured maybe they never took it down but also drive by there a lot and thought I would have noticed that....

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @MountainKing said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > > @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> > > > @mci711 said:

> > > > Noticed something odd today. Went to the PGA Store in Downers Grove and there is a Golf Galaxy opening across the street. Seemed like most golf stores and Golf Galaxies, in general, were closing. Now there are 2 within a golf shot of each other. I think the guys at the PGASS are kind of cranky jerks anyway, so maybe another option will be good.

> > >

> > > I saw that too and was surprised. This Golf Galaxy is opening up about 200 yards from where an old Golf Galaxy closed a couple of years ago.

> >

> > I haven't seen a golf Galaxy in years. I thought they all closed. I was shocked.

>

> I thought I was crazy when I drove by there the other day and saw a Golf Galaxy sign. I kind of figured maybe they never took it down but also drive by there a lot and thought I would have noticed that....

Literally thought the same thing. Thought to myself has that always been there? Turned in to check and there was an opening soon sign.

New article on WRX today with Tim Overman from Golf In Motion down in Chicago being a part of. This is the first of a series of articles him and his friend will be putting out.

http://www.golfwrx.com/564170/it-takes-a-village-how-to-improve-at-golf/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Latest&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=unused