Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Great weather for a round at Randall Oaks. Yes, it was hot today, but the steady breeze and occasional gusts made it much more manageable than the weekend was. We were really pleased with Randall Oaks as a course...there are a number of interesting/challenging hole layouts, many of which let you decide how much risk you want to take on from the tee. It's nice when a course doesn't just squeeze you and limit your options. Overall, the course was in excellent condition, with the greens running just a little slower than I'd typically like, but on par with a typical public. The late morning rain that was forecasted never showed up, though we got a couple of dops and a siren around Noon. The weather app said there was a strike 2 miles from us, but we soldiered on and go the all-clear siren 10 minutes later. Guess they have to cover their butts.

Unfortunately, there were two major negatives on the day:

(1) They have 3 temporary greens (7, 10 and 18) while they rebuild greenside bunkers and we didn't find out until we were about to tee off. They didn't mention it when we booked, and the pro shop didn't mention it when we paid. They leave it to the starter, and by that time it's pretty late in the game and hard to turn back.

(2) We were stuck behind a women's league, and they played soooooo slow. Since we were a twosome, I asked the starter if we could go off the other tees and he said the league was there too. I then asked what pace to expect with the league and he said they usually play at 2:20 each side! With nowhere to go, we picked up a third on the first tee and waited until the ladies teed off on the next hole. Then, we picked up another single from behind us on the 3rd hole since we were all waiting anyway. I get that we just happened to book a time right after the league, but they were so slow and the course didn't do anything to move them along. 5 hours later, we finished up the round.

All in all, we played well considering the waiting around before each shot and lack of rhythm. Plus, I really like the course itself (once the bunkers are done), but that was really a painful round to play. The main thing is that we had a great time hanging out and met a couple of other nice guys on the course.

League money is good money for courses, I don't think there's a course in the world that would do something to risk that. I honestly would have went back in for my money back the minute I was told about the temp greens, especially since it's a weekday and you probably could have went over to Bowes or Highlands and gotten on as a 2some pretty easy. That's just me tho, golf is expensive enough and if the course is charging their full rate then it should be in full rate condition.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Bear and I walked 36 today and didn’t die. Cinder Ridge was in pretty standard condition for that course, but the greens were extra slow. That just meant that if I didn’t hit the green, I could throw wedges right at the pin. The game plan ended up being when in doubt, keep it short, get up and down, and make par. It was an effective way to get a decent score but I didn’t make any birdies. With a 6:00 am tee time the heat and humidity held off until the back nine. By 16 it was sufficiently uncomfortable. 74.

Round two was at Broken Arrow. They have no coolers on the course but we knew that going in and filled up two huge lined water bottles each at the start and again at the turn. I hit 11 greens and 10 fairways there but again made no birds. The pace was a shade under 4 hours but it felt much longer since the sun was never really covered up until a pop up shower on 16. Was the group in front of us marking and grinding over every putt to make things feel even slower? You know it. Conditions were okay. Another 74.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

@MountainKing I was tempted to go back in, but it was a rather unique situation. My buddy and I (who I gushed about this morning) have been on a mission to play area courses together for the first time. The list of eligible courses has gotten pretty thin and this was the last day we could play before he relocates out of state. To boot, he had to pick up his kids at 2:30 so time was too tight to get somewhere else.

Now that we’ve checked it off our mutual first-time list, I’ll go back and play it under better conditions sometime later this year.

Boy, today was steamy. I hate this weather, would rather tee it up in 40 degrees. That said, the ball was really jumping, especially off the tee. So that was fun.

Had some storm issues on the back 9 at Broken Arrow. While the course was not directly impacted, there was thunder in the area. Might be my paranoia, but I just can't play with potential lightning around. So, I walked off after 15. Oh well, but rather be safe than sorry.

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

> @TheBear95 said:

> Boy, today was steamy. I hate this weather, would rather tee it up in 40 degrees. That said, the ball was really jumping, especially off the tee. So that was fun.

>

> Had some storm issues on the back 9 at Broken Arrow. While the course was not directly impacted, there was thunder in the area. Might be my paranoia, but I just can't play with potential lightning around. So, I walked off after 15. Oh well, but rather be safe than sorry.

I was thinking the complete opposite. I played this afternoon, passed a 2some on 9 and didn't see a single other person, played in just under 2 hours. The heat keeps people off the course, the ball goes further, break a sweat..I love it.

> @mci711 said:

> > @TheBear95 said:

> > Boy, today was steamy. I hate this weather, would rather tee it up in 40 degrees. That said, the ball was really jumping, especially off the tee. So that was fun.

> >

> > Had some storm issues on the back 9 at Broken Arrow. While the course was not directly impacted, there was thunder in the area. Might be my paranoia, but I just can't play with potential lightning around. So, I walked off after 15. Oh well, but rather be safe than sorry.

>

> I was thinking the complete opposite. I played this afternoon, passed a 2some on 9 and didn't see a single other person, played in just under 2 hours. The heat keeps people off the course, the ball goes further, break a sweat..I love it.

I agree. I love this weather. However, Bear and I walked 36 holes (well, 33 for him and 36 for me). In a cart it doesn’t really matter how hot and sticky it is. Walking 13 miles in 90+ degree heat with a dew point always over 70 is a different animal entirely.

Piretti Cottonwood II

18 more at Glencoe this morning. They had a couple inches of rain last night and the course was a swamp tee to green. There was standing water everywhere and a handful of bunkers had ponds in them. At least it was walking only. The greens were great. After putting on sponges at Cinder and Broken Arrow yesterday that was a nice change. I was off today with irons and woods and had to do a lot of grinding. I birdied 17 and eked out a 79. Time for a little break until the weekend.

Piretti Cottonwood II

I know Seven Bridges is quite overpriced but it is in really good shape right now if anyone is thinking about playing there. I play out the 3-4 times a week and I am really happy with the shape it has taken. I played 18 after I played Stonewall and was shocked how much firmer and quicker the whole course + greens were at Seven Bridges.

> @VNutz said:

> Very true, but at least this will be a better and probably bigger location given it's taking over the old Toys R Us spot, instead of being stuck in the corner where they were previously. The old store was so small compared to what PGASS became.

It's actually across the street from the Toys r Us building, I think. The HH Gregg space. Close enough, anyhow.

> @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> > @VNutz said:

> > Very true, but at least this will be a better and probably bigger location given it's taking over the old Toys R Us spot, instead of being stuck in the corner where they were previously. The old store was so small compared to what PGASS became.

>

> It's actually across the street from the Toys r Us building, I think. The HH Gregg space. Close enough, anyhow.

Really? Huh, when I saw it a few weeks back it was definitely not on the HH Gregg space and for sure on the old Toys R Us building. My kids know that building. :D Interesting. Either way significantly larger and higher visibility than the spot it had before.

Had a great 5-man Wolf game with a buddy and some other members at Biltmore this afternoon. It was the first time I’ve seen the course since they closed it to renovate several greens last Fall. They did a very nice job of taming a few out-of-control greens that only allowed a couple of pin placements. They also removed some greenside bunkers and created additional areas around a few greens that now allow you to chip or putt back onto the green if you get a little aggressive and run an approach through the green.

The course was in pretty good shape with only a few really swampy spots in the rough, although the greens were the slowest I’ve ever seen since they didn’t get to cut them after last night’s torrential rain. Glad the rain they called for today missed us.

> @VNutz said:

> > @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> > > @VNutz said:

> > > Very true, but at least this will be a better and probably bigger location given it's taking over the old Toys R Us spot, instead of being stuck in the corner where they were previously. The old store was so small compared to what PGASS became.

> >

> > It's actually across the street from the Toys r Us building, I think. The HH Gregg space. Close enough, anyhow.

>

> Really? Huh, when I saw it a few weeks back it was definitely not on the HH Gregg space and for sure on the old Toys R Us building. My kids know that building. :D Interesting. Either way significantly larger and higher visibility than the spot it had before.

Alright, it's a battle of who's losing their mind faster. I'll just concede now, pending any confirmation.

Finished “Big Fun”.... Course is in decent shape. Greens are slow (as expected), some bunkers are unplayable (mud/grass). Pace of play sucked arse - 5.5 hours, but the countless adult beverages helped ... Shot 38/41 for a decent 79, but it could have been SO much better. Double bogeys from the middle of the fairway are unacteble.

Note to courses - stop setting the course on a busy holiday weekend like it’s a Sunday of a Major! The flags were all tucked away, literally few feet away from a severe ridge. After hitting a seemingly great pitch on a par 5 6th, the ball came to rest within 5 feet of the flag only to roll away 20’!

WTH! The “safe” spot was literally the size of a napkin..... either way - kind of sad the course will become a subdivision sooner than later.

• Like 1

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

A very pleasant morning at Washington County in Wisconsin. A very nice prairie style layout. It's no Erin Hills, but it's a decent track. Conditions were good, although it was CPO on four holes (non par 3s). Greens were moderate speed. What one would expect on an open course were wind could be a factor.

Very good round ballstriking with 12 fairways and 12 greens. Mind you the fairways are generous as Harborside. Couldn't quite make a putt, burning edges all day. Managed a solid five over.

I can't say I'd race back here, but it's no slouch. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up against Brown Deer.

![](https://dl.dropbox.com/s/e2nbx87jfov72qy/20190704_090019.jpg "")

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Leaving tomorrow for Southern Indy for a couple days. Playing the normal course I always play in Carmel tomorrow, full day on the Pete Dye Course in French Lick on Saturday as my 30th birthday gift from my fiance. Maybe hit Purdue on Sunday but not sure about that. I love Pete Dye courses and French Lick has always been on my short list, so I am excited to check it off. Not hitting the Ross course this time.

The Dye course at French Lick is a gem. Not quite Whistling Straits or the Ocean Course, but definitely worth the trip. Post a pic of the volcano bunker behind the green. Forget the hole, but it's an oddity you can't miss.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @Argonne69 said:

> The Dye course at French Lick is a gem. Not quite Whistling Straits or the Ocean Course, but definitely worth the trip. Post a pic of the volcano bunker behind the green. Forget the hole, but it's an oddity you can't miss.

>

I'll make note of that and make sure to do it! I just hope the weather is ok. Same BS that has been happening here the past week, isolated t-storms, could be nothing could pour. We will see.

> @Argonne69 said:

> A very pleasant morning at Washington County in Wisconsin. A very nice prairie style layout. It's no Erin Hills, but it's a decent track. Conditions were good, although it was CPO on four holes (non par 3s). Greens were moderate speed. What one would expect on an open course were wind could be a factor.

>

> Very good round ballstriking with 12 fairways and 12 greens. Mind you the fairways are generous as Harborside. Couldn't quite make a putt, burning edges all day. Managed a solid five over.

>

> I can't say I'd race back here, but it's no slouch. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up against Brown Deer.

>

> ![](https://dl.dropbox.com/s/e2nbx87jfov72qy/20190704_090019.jpg "")

Argonne, interesting to hear that you didn't like it more. I always thought Washington County was pretty easily one of the best publics in Milwaukee. How do you think it compares to modern courses in Chicago like Bowes Creek, Highlands of Elgin, Thunderhawk, the Glen Club, etc.?

The layout was decent, and the conditioning was fine, but not super challenging compared to the three mentioned.

> @stasek said:

> Finished “Big Fun”.... Course is in decent shape. Greens are slow (as expected), some bunkers are unplayable (mud/grass). Pace of play sucked **** - 5.5 hours, but the countless adult beverages helped ... Shot 38/41 for a decent 79, but it could have been SO much better. Double bogeys from the middle of the fairway are unacteble.

> Note to courses - stop setting the course on a busy holiday weekend like it’s a Sunday of a Major! The flags were all tucked away, literally few feet away from a severe ridge. After hitting a seemingly great pitch on a par 5 6th, the ball came to rest within 5 feet of the flag only to roll away 20’!

> WTH! The “safe” spot was literally the size of a napkin..... either way - kind of sad the course will become a subdivision sooner than later.

I love the course but it's impossible to play on a busy day, it's far too hard for most of the people that come out there and play it. I was really hoping that some day somebody would come in, buy the course and give it a little make over. It really could have been something special. This part of IL generally doesn't see that sort of elevation change. I need to get out there this year before the course is too far gone to bother with.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @mci711 said:

> Leaving tomorrow for Southern Indy for a couple days. Playing the normal course I always play in Carmel tomorrow, full day on the Pete Dye Course in French Lick on Saturday as my 30th birthday gift from my fiance. Maybe hit Purdue on Sunday but not sure about that. I love Pete Dye courses and French Lick has always been on my short list, so I am excited to check it off. Not hitting the Ross course this time.

I think we're going to play down in Carmel on Tues/Wed next week. Purgatory, Prairie View and Trophy Club are on the schedule with a 4th round TBA depending how we feel. Not sure my body at the moment will handle 3 rounds in 2 days let alone 4 but we shall see.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

... Question for you guys that have played Northern Michigan Resorts. I am hoping to do a vacation with the Mrs and my 28 yr old in August. Both shoot in the mid 90's so I am looking for scenic, yet fun and playable resort courses. Bonus to have several courses to play. There are just so many to chose from it would be nice to hear from those of you that have actually played them and have recommendations. Thanks in advance!

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

> @MountainKing said:

> > @stasek said:

> > Finished “Big Fun”.... Course is in decent shape. Greens are slow (as expected), some bunkers are unplayable (mud/grass). Pace of play sucked **** - 5.5 hours, but the countless adult beverages helped ... Shot 38/41 for a decent 79, but it could have been SO much better. Double bogeys from the middle of the fairway are unacteble.

> > Note to courses - stop setting the course on a busy holiday weekend like it’s a Sunday of a Major! The flags were all tucked away, literally few feet away from a severe ridge. After hitting a seemingly great pitch on a par 5 6th, the ball came to rest within 5 feet of the flag only to roll away 20’!

> > WTH! The “safe” spot was literally the size of a napkin..... either way - kind of sad the course will become a subdivision sooner than later.

>

> I love the course but it's impossible to play on a busy day, it's far too hard for most of the people that come out there and play it. I was really hoping that some day somebody would come in, buy the course and give it a little make over. It really could have been something special. This part of IL generally doesn't see that sort of elevation change. I need to get out there this year before the course is too far gone to bother with.

It's a shame, but I don't think the makeover is going to happen. If half the rumors/news are true, the course is a "goner". I wish Lemont could annex it, but since the fiasco with Cog Hill/Gleneagles, I don't think that will happen either. From what I hear, 2 of the 4 Cog Hill courses are as good as gone as well. The only thing that MIGHT prolong their existence would be another downturn in housing. It's been 15 years since Timber Trails sold (for $45M; subsequently the developer defaulted on $113M loan), and they're still nowhere near completion.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

> @chisag said:

> ... Question for you guys that have played Northern Michigan Resorts. I am hoping to do a vacation with the Mrs and my 28 yr old in August. Both shoot in the mid 90's so I am looking for scenic, yet fun and playable resort courses. Bonus to have several courses to play. There are just so many to chose from it would be nice to hear from those of you that have actually played them and have recommendations. Thanks in advance!

How far North are you considering?