2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

... Dave I am really open at this point. If it is worth the drive, I guess all the way north.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

K...I'll start the controversy then. The Warren Course (Notre Dame) where they just played the Sr. Open could be a really fun start or finishing round. Then, if you head up to the Mt. Pleasant area you have PohlCat, Buck's Run and here's where it goes off the rails, Tullymore and St. Ives. There's also a cashino in the MP if that's your cup of tea. Very playable and fun/scenic courses.

Will be putting on the Kevlar now.

... Not gamblers or drinkers, just golfers that would love an organic, grass fed, locally sourced restaurant. Would like a nice resort where we can stay and play, as that would be ideal. I'll take a look at you suggestions. Thanks!

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

@chisag Boyne Highlands in Harbor Springs is a nice resort with a good mix of quality golf courses. I do an annual trip up there in July and it’s been great every year. It won’t rival Tullymore, St. Ives, Arcadia Bluffs and the like, but the courses are nice and varied.

Bay Harbor is also part of their collective, and the Links/Quarry loop there is outstanding. Their third property is Boyne Mountain and that’s supposed to have good tracks too, but I have no first-hand experience there.

> @MountainKing said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > Leaving tomorrow for Southern Indy for a couple days. Playing the normal course I always play in Carmel tomorrow, full day on the Pete Dye Course in French Lick on Saturday as my 30th birthday gift from my fiance. Maybe hit Purdue on Sunday but not sure about that. I love Pete Dye courses and French Lick has always been on my short list, so I am excited to check it off. Not hitting the Ross course this time.

>

> I think we're going to play down in Carmel on Tues/Wed next week. Purgatory, Prairie View and Trophy Club are on the schedule with a 4th round TBA depending how we feel. Not sure my body at the moment will handle 3 rounds in 2 days let alone 4 but we shall see.

I played plum Creek in Carmel yesterday, reminds me of a nicer ruffled feathers. I really like purgatory and prairie view. They have a good handful of courses.

Moved french lick to tomorrow so we could start out of the rain.

> @chisag said:

> ... Question for you guys that have played Northern Michigan Resorts. I am hoping to do a vacation with the Mrs and my 28 yr old in August. Both shoot in the mid 90's so I am looking for scenic, yet fun and playable resort courses. Bonus to have several courses to play. There are just so many to chose from it would be nice to hear from those of you that have actually played them and have recommendations. Thanks in advance!

Take a look at Treetops Resort. If my memory serves me correctly, there are three 18 hole courses and one 9 hole course.

15 hcp

> @chisag said:

> ... Not gamblers or drinkers, just golfers that would love an organic, grass fed, locally sourced restaurant. Would like a nice resort where we can stay and play, as that would be ideal. I'll take a look at you suggestions. Thanks!

Arcadia Bluffs is the most beautiful property I've played. Over Pebble, whistling, the ocean course etc. You have lake views on every hole other than 1,2,8 really. If you can get a west viewing room above the main clubhouse you'll have an unbelievable view of the sunset and in the mornings we had morning fog rolling in off lake Michigan. 2 courses there now, restaurant is really solid as well.

Also the bigpiper is a great touch to end the night

'Just gotta love Wisconsin. I'm driving to a golf course this morning, and ahead I see two state police cars on the shoulder with their police lights on. From a distance it looked like they had pulled over two motorcycles. I get closer and see the officers petting two cows that had wandered on to the highway. Lol. Cheese curds anybody?

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

A mostly pleasant round at Royal St Patrick's Golf Links in Appleton, WI. A decent prairie style layout with water on several holes. They've received a lot of rain here, too, so conditions were soft. Playable, though. Not quite as picturesque as Washington County, but still a solid layout. It rained on a few holes, and the wind blew 15 to 20 mph, so it was a bit of a challenge.

Good round ballstriking with 9 fairways and 12 greens. No birdies and four bogies.

Now here's something you don't see every day. Or ever. Scorecard and drinks still in the cart. Somebody was having a bad morning.

![](https://dl.dropbox.com/s/otx1e3t7nvknako/20190706_103320.jpg "")

![](https://dl.dropbox.com/s/ey7d23emxdzq0wh/20190706_104702.jpg "")

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I played the Preserve at noon on the 4th. The course is in great shape. I played really well on the front, 37. Then lost three balls on the back to shoot 46, ouch. They have to add some water coolers on the course, the water fountain at the snack shack is warm, and the water barely spits out. The rangers have coolers on their carts, but only passed me once on 3. We only saw the beverage cart once on 5. The pro claims they removed the cooler off the 10th tee because people were taking the top off to dip their towels. One, anyone that does that is a loser. Two, they can add a towel bucket on 10 like they have on 1. Three, they can prevent tampering by locking the enclosure. Almost every course, including Maple Meadows, has four strategically placed coolers. The Preserve has one on the 2nd tee and one on 15th tee. The afore-mentioned water fountain is by the 5th tee and 13th green. Thats basically 10 holes in between with no water. I tried talking to the pro about it, but he wasn't interested in hearing any feedback.

I wasn't expecting to play yesterday, but my boss decided to close the office a 1pm. I took the opportunity to head to Stonewall. I got paired with two really nice older guys who also walked. Despite being really hot, we played in just under 4hrs. Having 4 water coolers was really appreciated. We played the White/Gold combo, 6200 yds, I usually play the Golds. The shorter course was a lot of fun, especially having a PW 2nd shot on #6. It is amazing how I always find a way to butcher 18. IMO, Stonewall is one of the nicest tracks in Illinois, it's just a little far from home to be on my regular rotation.

• Like 3

> @jimwgt26 said:

> I played the Preserve at noon on the 4th. The course is in great shape. I played really well on the front, 37. Then lost three balls on the back to shoot 46, ouch. They have to add some water coolers on the course, the water fountain at the snack shack is warm, and the water barely spits out. The rangers have coolers on their carts, but only passed me once on 3. We only saw the beverage cart once on 5. The pro claims they removed the cooler off the 10th tee because people were taking the top off to dip their towels. One, anyone that does that is a loser. Two, they can add a towel bucket on 10 like they have on 1. Three, they can prevent tampering by locking the enclosure. Almost every course, including Maple Meadows, has four strategically placed coolers. The Preserve has one on the 2nd tee and one on 15th tee. The afore-mentioned water fountain is by the 5th tee and 13th green. Thats basically 10 holes in between with no water. I tried talking to the pro about it, but he wasn't interested in hearing any feedback.

>

> I wasn't expecting to play yesterday, but my boss decided to close the office a 1pm. I took the opportunity to head to Stonewall. I got paired with two really nice older guys who also walked. Despite being really hot, we played in just under 4hrs. Having 4 water coolers was really appreciated. We played the White/Gold combo, 6200 yds, I usually play the Golds. The shorter course was a lot of fun, especially having a PW 2nd shot on #6. It is amazing how I always find a way to butcher 18. IMO, Stonewall is one of the nicest tracks in Illinois, it's just a little far from home to be on my regular rotation.

Every time I think about playing the Preserve, I read something like this or it rains a ton and the course is under water. Every course should have coolers on it. That just seems like basic course management, especially with the humidity we’ve been dealing with this year. Glad the conditions have improved though.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

After walking over 36 holes at the LPGA tournament yesterday, and a round this morning, I wisely concluded that my body wasn't quite up to a round at Erin Hills. Instead I headed over to Kohler to play the Meadow Valleys course at Blackwolf Run. I've played the River course years ago, but not this one. If you like Pete Dye you'll like it, but it's certainly not worth the full price of $270. The course was in great shape, which should be expected given the coinage. The morning clouds and showers gave way to blue skies, and all was well. Lol.

A little too much course for me at this point in the trip. The driver has been solid this trip. I managed 11 fairways. However, my poor back called it quits on the back nine, and it lead to way too many chunky irons. Chipping was solid, but I couldn't make a putt. Still had a fine time, having accepted that the body wasn't up to the task. Brown Deer in the early morning.

Trees? What trees? The par 3 17th.

![](https://dl.dropbox.com/s/ggqzdoqrruxl4l1/20190706_165813.jpg "")

Really enjoyed the round at Joliet GC this afternoon. Started out with no wind, hot and humid, had some showers roll through on 2 holes which gave way to a nice breeze and a good 15 degree temp drop. Course was in solid shape, routing was super goofy (as many have said). I enjoyed all the holes out there except the two newer ones which felt extremely out of place. Loved the really small greens, managed to get myself in trouble on a couple of holes thinking 3wd would be safe off of the tee only to find my ball in trouble. Game was pretty rough at times, 4 doubles a couple birdies and a couple birdies, hard to score well with that many doubles.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

This thread is about to fall off the first page of the Midwest section due to the bug that isn't picking up the recent posts. Grrr.

We’re playing Countryside Prairie and Prairie Isle tomorrow. I’m bracing for a death march at Countryside. Hopefully we cruise through PI at twilight. And hopefully I can post a round recap before this thread falls off the first page.

Piretti Cottonwood II

What a wonderful day. Moderate temps and humidity, and light winds. I played at Brown Deer Park in Milwaukee this morning. This old school parkland course is a gem. It hosted a PGA event for years. It's heavily tree lined, so getting offline, or out of position on some holes, can be costly. There's a ridgeline that runs along the eastern boundary of the course, so the holes in that part of the course have either elevated greens, or tees. Otherwise it's fairly flat. The greens are not overly undulating, but they do have some slope. With the greens running fast and smooth, being below the hole was important. My only real nit was that the par 3's were fairly ho-hum. Conditions were excellent, as was the pace of play. The vast majority of players walked.

'Definitely ran out of steam today. I drove the ball well, but iron play was spotty. Only managed 9 greens. A couple of birdies and a few scrambles kept it from getting completely away from me.

Honestly, it would be tough to choose between Brown Deer and Washington County. They're completely different layouts, wide open prairie style vs. old school parkland. I'd say most days I'd pick Brown Deer. It requires more precision off the tee, and the greens are much more challenging.

![](https://dl.dropbox.com/s/8d2afsgcpw56ryb/20190707_072913.jpg "")

Had an outstanding morning at French lick. The dye course is worth every penny at $350. With the all day rate, free engraved bag tag, bottle of bourbon, cigar, shot glass etc I wouldn't hesitate to go back. We were 1 of 2 groups on the course on a holiday weekend, unreal. Course is in perfect shape. I was 6 over thru 4 and par'd out to shoot a 78. Played the blues at around 6800. Could have been a great day if I didn't start the way I did, I hard lipped 3 birdie putts as well. Either way it was a great day, I can make an argument that it is one of if not the best public experience in the country.

Sweet photos. It was overcast when I played it, so the pics didn't do it justice.

Had a fantastic round at Pine Meadow this afternoon

Course was in very nice shape. Greens rolled well.

Got a good twilight rate starting just after 3 pm, and it’s always a pleasure to walk the course

My friend and I were paired up with a real nice guy for the round and we picked up a friend of his from the 17th green as we were teeing off 11

Another very nice guy

What a fantastic break in the weather!

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Excellent playing conditions today at Countryside Prairie and Prairie Isle. I needed a couple of rounds of low humidity after losing about 10 pounds in sweat on Tuesday and Wednesday. Countryside was the death march I expected at 4:45. We played with a guy who was throwing darts on the first couple of holes. A bunch of Bloody Mary's later and he was all over the place. It was terrifying to see him drive out of the parking lot. The course was in very good shape since we really haven't had all that much rain in the last week. My irons were pretty sharp but I couldn't stay consistent off the tee today and made bad bogies on a couple of holes that are generally pretty easy. 78.

Prairie Isle was great, and their weekend twilight of $23 is crazy cheap. After waiting on every shot at Countryside, we didn't wait at all until we caught a group on 8 at Isle. From there it was a slower crawl and a single in a cart just showed up out of nowhere on the back to slow things down considerably. No ranger is the tradeoff for paying that little on a well conditioned course. We still played the round in 3:45. I parred every hole on the front but wore down a bit and scrambled for a 39 on the back. 75.

Piretti Cottonwood II

> @chisag said:

> ... Question for you guys that have played Northern Michigan Resorts. I am hoping to do a vacation with the Mrs and my 28 yr old in August. Both shoot in the mid 90's so I am looking for scenic, yet fun and playable resort courses. Bonus to have several courses to play. There are just so many to chose from it would be nice to hear from those of you that have actually played them and have recommendations. Thanks in advance!

I've done several Northern Michigan trips, generally with college buddies that like to play on the cheaper end of things and don't want to spend their money on the nicer joints, so take my words with that in mind. I've done Crystal Mountain, A Ga Ming, Boyne and Treetops. We enjoyed them all, but Crystal and A Ga Mind were the two that we kept going back to. Boyne is pretty cool but the accommodations we had weren't the greatest, and the courses are not all on the same property so we had 20-30 minutes drives at times. Treetops was beautiful, rooms weren't amazing, but there isn't much in Gaylord for the food offerings you mentioned, or at least there wasn't when I was there; I don't know if we simply didn't go there or not but I cannot remember a restaurant on site, just a little bar with popcorn. Crystal Mountain has two beautiful courses that play cut out of the trees, not the most difficult or challenging layouts but still really fun plays, and if you stay there I believe you have access to Champion Hill, a very fun course nearby that's a totally different style. Crystal has a very nice restaurant on site, again not sure it suits the food you're looking for, but Traverse City is about 45 minutes away and should have that for you. A Ga Ming has one really nice newer course and one older course that overlooks the tip of Torch Lake, which is pretty nice. Food isn't the greatest there but you're closer to Traverse City with lots of options there.

Best of luck and have fun!

• Like 1

I concur that the rooms at Boyne aren't all up to snuff. I believe there's the main (new) lodge, and then the old ski lodge. I was put in the old lodge. The rooms were pretty bad. 'Hadn't been updated in decades.

> @VNutz said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > v8zpalgawdt7.jpg

> >

>

> Great course photos, but that bourbon might have intrigued me the most!

I haven't tried it yet, I rarely drink hard alcohol. So, unfortunately, my opinion on if it is good or not will not be one of much merit. But will update when I do! I thought it was a really nice touch though. My fiance and I were comparing it to past trips. Pebble came up a lot. It is just the complete opposite. Everything at Pebble cost something. There are no nice touches, not even free tees that say pebble beach on them..Those are $10 in the pro shop. Pebble is a money trap, they don't have to do anything extra for their customers because we are still going to come, unfortunately.

> @Argonne69 said:

> I concur that the rooms at Boyne aren't all up to snuff. I believe there's the main (new) lodge, and then the old ski lodge. I was put in the old lodge. The rooms were pretty bad. 'Hadn't been updated in decades.

Agreed. That's how we felt at Boyne and Treetops. Not a deal breaker per say but definitely something we considered in future planning, which might explain why we didn't return to either.