Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

[quote name='Thunder Dan' timestamp='1430859372' post='11505083']

I normally land my Driver 280-285. The landing zone was much smaller for me at that length and it brought water long right into play. I hit 3 wood right and had a 8 iron into the green from 165.

#5 was playing 220 to the flag, downwind. Thats where I hit the 6 iron.

#4 I had no idea how far it was to the water, it would be nice if they posted a sign or something to give you some idea, though I was stuck hitting a 6 iron off the tee on a par 5. I could see if it was one par 5, but there are 2 others like this on the course.

I'm not trying to be a complainer, as I'll probably never play there again, but I'm just saying that they could do a better job with setting that course up and make it more fun to play.
[/quote]

Yes, #5 is a layup hole. It's approximately 250 yards to the first water inlet. That's why I carry a GPS device.

'Not sure you felt the other par 5's were layup holes. #7 can be reached in 2 with a good drive, but it requires playing a fade around the trees. #10 is also a driver hole, cutting over the dogleg, or fading it around the mounding, to a blind landing area. Lastly, one can hit driver on #14 over the trees. Of course, it's also a blind shot.

Let me guess, you use a laser, and not a GPS device?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Off topic here and I apologize .... Can someone recommend a shop or individual that can do a putter loft-lie check and adjustment in the Chicago area? Thanks.

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

[quote name='Scratch2Plus' timestamp='1430891685' post='11508145']
Off topic here and I apologize .... Can someone recommend a shop or individual that can do a putter loft-lie check and adjustment in the Chicago area? Thanks.
[/quote]

I believe Cool Clubs in Highland Park does putter fittings/adjustments.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

This Saturday, we have two tee times at 7:24 and 7:32 at George Dunne. We have openings for 3 players. PM me if you'd like to play. However, the forecast is not good.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

[quote name='Chicago Lefty' timestamp='1430914691' post='11508695']
I'm pretty sure the PGA Superstore has a digital loft/ lie machine for putters.
[/quote]

Maybe I'll bring a 3rd string putter for them to adjust and see how careful they are.
Hate to ding up a new putter if the PGA SS guy doesn't seem to know what he-she is doing or doesn't have much experience.

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Apparently Proline has opened a store in Glenview. I stopped by the Chicago store last week to check out a wedge, and most of the new equipment was gone. I was told that the Chicago store was going to focus primarily on instruction.

Had my after work golf league tonight at Sportsman. Its amazing how much better shape the greens are in this year compared to last year. Lsat year, #1 was a temporary green till late May just to give you an idea. Putted really well tonight, ended up with a 39. Had a birdie. I'm on a birdie streak, had at least one in my last several rounds.

So tomorrow I have a traffic court trial at 1 at the Daley Center...figure that will be over by 2:30 the latest, maybe even 2. Might be able to make it out to Glencoe or Sunset Valley for a 3:00ish tee time. That sounds a lot more fun than going to my 11:10 pm hockey game later on.

Bought a voucher for Klein Creek a few weeks back and decided to use it this morning. What a gorgeous morning to sneak out. There's something to that course for me, I seem to always play pretty well there. The greens never [i]look [/i]good, but they always run smooth and true to me, and they were great this morning. Got paired up with a nice young guy about my level and we had a good round, guy actually consistently outdrove me which is something I'm not used to. I caught a nice front nine streak with 4 birdies in 5 holes, but gave it back on the back nine for a 77. I'll take it though.

Was never a big fan of Klein Creek. Lots of OB, combined with the lateral hazards make the course overly tight. Add the lack of a range, and it quickly fell off the radar.

[quote name='B-Man' timestamp='1430924381' post='11509701']
This Saturday, we have two tee times at 7:24 and 7:32 at George Dunne. We have openings for 3 players. PM me if you'd like to play. However, the forecast is not good.
[/quote]

FYI, we still have 2 openings for anyone interested playing tomorrow. Let me know. There is an ATM at the course. :)

EDIT: Forecast doesn't looks so bad now after 7:00 am tomorrow.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1431025109' post='11517969']
Was never a big fan of Klein Creek. Lots of OB, combined with the lateral hazards make the course overly tight. Add the lack of a range, and it quickly fell off the radar.
[/quote]

I can see that; it's not for everybody. But IMO the hazards are placed well so that there are plenty of room for bailout, provided you play to the right distance. But any course with smooth rolling greens gets some extra love from me.

I love forecasts with 50% chance of rain. Did they flip a coin? I haven't booked anything at this point. I'll likely wait until the morning to check the radar, and head out in the direction that looks "best".

As I continue my research on the "Singles Friendly" thread, I'm pleasantly surprised that a number of courses that previously didn't allow singles to book online have changed their policies, e.g. Winnetka, Lost Marsh. I may have to visit a few of them this season.

[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1431095471' post='11522721']
[/quote]

I can see that; it's not for everybody. But IMO the hazards are placed well so that there are plenty of room for bailout, provided you play to the right distance. But any course with smooth rolling greens gets some extra love from me.
[/quote]

I'm a fan of KC. Fun course. V did they have any sand in the bunkers? Played there last summer and it was basically hitting off dirt. Of course, with 5 birdies, you probably didn't visit many bunkers!

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1431097126' post='11522955']
[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1431095471' post='11522721']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm a fan of KC. Fun course. V did they have any sand in the bunkers? Played there last summer and it was basically hitting off dirt. Of course, with 5 birdies, you probably didn't visit many bunkers!
[/quote]

The bunkers, that's how I gave it all back! I was in 4 bunkers, 3 greenside, and all had different quantities and types of sand. The fairway bunker was great, go figure. First greenside one was thick and muddy, second was very fine, perfect sand but I was expecting thick and muddy, so I went over the green into another bunker, which was again thick and muddy. Bunkers in the morning can be a crapshoot in my experience when the water collects at the bottom. I'd think if/when it dries out they'll eventually be pretty hard with little sand, just had that look, dark brown/gray dirt.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1431097690' post='11522999']
Crystal Woods tomorrow. Surprising elevation changes for being in a burb of Chicago.
[/quote]

Love that course. Haven't played it since high school regionals in the middle of a downpour, back in the day. 4 putted a hole as I literally couldn't hit the ball hard enough to get it there. Then they squeegeed the green when we walked off.

Got suckered into playing Harborside Port today. My buddies made the tee time so i was stuck paying $100 for that dog track. In retrospect, probably should've just gone somewhere else as a single. Greens were in awful shape, worst I've seen all year. No sand in any bunkers, business as usual in that department. Struggled with swinging the club after last night's 11pm hockey game. Shot a 93. Had 14 fat shots. That's when I know my back isn't doing well. Got screwed on a few holes where I had what i thought were perfect drives only to find out the fairway wasn't exactly where i thought it would be and my ball was in terrible lies in thick rough.

What's up with the rangers at Harborside? All very nice, but on a few holes one of them would drive up and stop his cart 30 feet behind us and watch us play an entire hole. I thought that was inappropriate to say the least. Never said anything to us, just did that a few times during the round. Saw him do it with the group ahead of us as well. I would think that if they want to do that, shouldn't they take a spot a lot further back and more inconspicuous? It wasn't a big deal, just a minor annoyance. But, enough that you were thinking about it while you were trying to play the hole.

[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1431098173' post='11523081']
Crystal Woods tomorrow. Surprising elevation changes for being in a burb of Chicago.
[/quote]

Love that course. Haven't played it since high school regionals in the middle of a downpour, back in the day. 4 putted a hole as I literally couldn't hit the ball hard enough to get it there. Then they squeegeed the green when we walked off.
[/quote]

Double dip and play Craig woods across the street when you are done.

Ive be never been out there. In HS I always ended up at plum tree for matches (Moment of silence.....thank you)

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

[quote name='Waterboy' timestamp='1431128048' post='11525825']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ive be never been out there. In HS I always ended up at plum tree for matches (Moment of silence.....thank you)
[/quote]

You wouldn't believe what Plum Tree looks like now. 18 months of no maintenance and as Mrs. Pelz says of my hair in the morning, "It ain't pretty."

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1431128174' post='11525839']
[quote name='Waterboy' timestamp='1431128048' post='11525825']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You wouldn't believe what Plum Tree looks like now. 18 months of no maintenance and as Mrs. Pelz says of my hair in the morning, "It ain't pretty."
[/quote]

I saw it last year. I was out that way for some reason. It's pretty sad. I always liked that course.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1431126112' post='11525717']
Got suckered into playing Harborside Port today. My buddies made the tee time so i was stuck paying $100 for that dog track. In retrospect, probably should've just gone somewhere else as a single. Greens were in awful shape, worst I've seen all year. No sand in any bunkers, business as usual in that department. Struggled with swinging the club after last night's 11pm hockey game. Shot a 93. Had 14 fat shots. That's when I know my back isn't doing well. Got screwed on a few holes where I had what i thought were perfect drives only to find out the fairway wasn't exactly where i thought it would be and my ball was in terrible lies in thick rough.

What's up with the rangers at Harborside? All very nice, but on a few holes one of them would drive up and stop his cart 30 feet behind us and watch us play an entire hole. I thought that was inappropriate to say the least. Never said anything to us, just did that a few times during the round. Saw him do it with the group ahead of us as well. I would think that if they want to do that, shouldn't they take a spot a lot further back and more inconspicuous? It wasn't a big deal, just a minor annoyance. But, enough that you were thinking about it while you were trying to play the hole.
[/quote]

I prefer the Starboard course for exactly the reason you mention. The Port course has a few funky holes that seem to punish "good" drives. I know the rangers, and while they're basically nice guys, they don't do a heck of a lot to keep the play moving, and as you mention, they do seem to park in odd spots.

As we've noted before, Harborside may look like a links course, but it's anything but. There's no firm and fast, just wet due to the fact that there's no natural drainage being an ex-garbage dump with a clay cap. As you discovered, you cannot hit a fat shot there or it's one big "Splat".

I thought they were extending the Spring rates through Sunday. You paid $100+? Sheesh.

Here's my Harborside Ranger story:
A few years ago, some friends and I played Port the first Friday in June. We all coach spring high school sports, so this was our first free afternoon in a while. We had plans to play and go out all night. We had a great time on a perfect day. On the 18th green it was close to sunset. A ranger came on the green and started shooting the breeze with us. It caused us to be on the green for an extra 10 minutes. When we finally got back to putting, all the sprinklers around the green came on. We got drenched. The ranger who was now on the cart path above the green said, "They come on every night at 8:00, nothing we can do about it." Nothing you can do about it? What about, "Hey guys hurry up, the sprinklers come on automatically at 8:00." We asked him why he didn't warn us? I swear his reply was, "It's not my responsibility." The four of us went into the clubhouse to complain. The guy at the register said, "The facility is closed, your trespassing." Until then, I played Harborside 20-25 rounds a season. I sent an email to the manager, and didn't even get an apology. I didn't play there for over a year.

Last year, I joined their Anchor Club. I didn't feel it was worth it. Since Kemper took over, the conditions have gotten worse. I know I'll play there a few times this year when friends invite me, but it's never going to be my first choice.

Played Wilmette GC again today. With the spotty weather, didn't want to risk a long drive for a possible rain check. Challenging conditions today. Wet, cold, and windy. The driver was on the fritz today, but thankfully my scrambling was spot on. The new Ping G30 5 wood and 4 hybrid continue to impress. I may have to consider trying a Ping Rapture 3 wood.

Played Straits and Irish on Friday...
We got really lucky with the weather in Sheboygan! Not a drop of rain until we started our trek home.
Straits was in really good shape. The greens were punched with the usual sand dressing and were on the slower side but it really wasn't an issue. They were punched but good enough to make putts.
The caddies were great, very knowledgable and plenty of bev cart / halfway house eye candy. :)
Started on the Straits at 9:30, sunny w-light winds. Played pretty well (lack of alcohol). +1 standing on the 14th tee...
Then I crapped the bed and ended up with a 79.
The Irish is another great course but I would have rather walked than take carts. It's cart path only on the Irish.
So a lot of walking was required.
I almost forgot to add...There were tornado like swarms of gnats everywhere! Nowhere to hide.

Ice Cube "I gotta say, it Was a Good Day"

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT