Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

After yesterday's outer body experience at HoE I was itching to get back on the course. Decided to play my first ever round at Hilldale GC which is a Robert Trent Jones, Sr. design that's about 20 min from my house (Palatine) and known to have the "best greens in the burbs." After playing, I don't think I'd ever say that about this place, in fact that's a flat out lie.
Course was short, tight, and overall a very fun design. The par 71 layout played about 6500 yards. Got paired up with two local college kids for the front nine and then two older ladies for the back nine. Pace of play for a Tuesday @ 11 was every bit of 4.5 hours, maybe 4.75 hours.
I hit my driver a whopping 4 times today. I can't remember the last time I hit so many irons and hybrids due to snap dog legs and not knowing where to go.
Bookend birdies today for a crowd pleasing 68. Felt good after yesterday's abomination. Only hit 5/14 fairways but still managed 14/18 greens with 28 putts, 5 birdies, and 2 bogeys. Had four lip outs, so it could have been a really nice bounce back.
The two older ladies I played with said they got it for $21 or $25 a piece? Totally worth it at that price. Wouldn't pay over $45 to play here.

Great round Apprenti...I also completely agree about the "best greens in the burbs" NOT even close, just a big fat lie IMO.
It's a decent course, but like you said, it's nothing special.

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

Played my first round at Tam O'Shanter. Its a few minutes from my house, and I've been to the bar a few times, but always assumed the course was a dump. It's actually not too bad. I know it used to be an 18 hole course where Hogan won an event, I also think the first televised golf broadcast was there. The starter said a couple of holes are from the original design. I wouldn't make a special trip to play there, but if you live on the Northwest Side it's not a bad option. Today's conditions were better than Billy Caldwell, and it's cheaper.

[quote name='Scratch2Plus' timestamp='1439944250' post='12165696']
Great round Apprenti...I also completely agree about the "best greens in the burbs" NOT even close, just a big fat lie IMO.
[/quote]
Thanks! I was actually disapponted because that's a pretty big claim, ya know?

Bittersweet tomorrow at 11:45- another course I've never played.

Anyone for night golf tonight? Natural lightning will show us the way. I meant lighting.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

[quote name='Chicago Lefty' timestamp='1439949575' post='12166474']
Late notice but anyone want to play Harborside tomorrow around 10am for cheap cheap? Probably like $14. I've got teeoff.com credit to burn... PM me.
[/quote]
Bummer - would've jumped on this but already playing bittersweet. Enjoy the day! Love the side

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1439946516' post='12166018']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I can walk to Bittersweet in about 5 minutes so I have played it a couple of times. The front nine isn't as good as the back nine, in my opinion. The front nine winds through a subdivision. Nothing too spectacular but I do like #8, a dogleg right. I really prefer the back nine which has mature trees. The par 3 (16th?) is a fun hole with water to the left and behind the green. Enjoy!

[quote name='preiter20' timestamp='1439958200' post='12167242']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I can walk to Bittersweet in about 5 minutes so I have played it a couple of times. The front nine isn't as good as the back nine, in my opinion. The front nine winds through a subdivision. Nothing too spectacular but I do like #8, a dogleg right. I really prefer the back nine which has mature trees. The par 3 (16th?) is a fun hole with water to the left and behind the green. Enjoy!
[/quote]

Bittersweet is one of the handful of Chicago public courses that doesn't allow singles to book. I've wanted to play the course for some time, but they basically don't want my business.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1439985575' post='12168010']
[quote name='preiter20' timestamp='1439958200' post='12167242']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Bittersweet is one of the handful of Chicago public courses that doesn't allow singles to book. I've wanted to play the course for some time, but they basically don't want my business.
[/quote]

This kind of surprises me. I haven't been out there in a few years but from what I remember the Village bought it when it was in really bad shape. You would think that any play is good play.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1439937870' post='12164974']
Decided to play my first ever round at Hilldale GC which is a Robert Trent Jones, Sr. design that's about 20 min from my house (Palatine) and known to have the "best greens in the burbs." After playing, I don't think I'd ever say that about this place, in fact that's a flat out lie.

[/quote]

Interesting, every time I've been there they've been fantastic. I wouldn't say best in the burbs, but far better than what I'd expect for a public course, and much better than some higher end courses around. I'm not sure they were good enough to go out of their way for, but definitely a pleasant surprise.

[quote name='B-Man' timestamp='1439948483' post='12166340']
Anyone for night golf tonight? Natural lightning will show us the way. I meant lighting.
[/quote]

Got caught in the middle of that driving some cars. Got pummeled with wind and rain, then my phone lit up with tornado warnings, in Downers Grove, right where I was. Go from driving through it to being in a building full of glass windows with tornado sirens blaring. Brilliant.

[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1439944611' post='12165764']
Played my first round at Tam O'Shanter. Its a few minutes from my house, and I've been to the bar a few times, but always assumed the course was a dump. It's actually not too bad. I know it used to be an 18 hole course where Hogan won an event, I also think the first televised golf broadcast was there. The starter said a couple of holes are from the original design. I wouldn't make a special trip to play there, but if you live on the Northwest Side it's not a bad option. Today's conditions were better than Billy Caldwell, and it's cheaper.
[/quote]

If I'm around there I'd rather go to Edgebrook than either. 18 holes for the same price as 9 at BC. Granted its a par 66, but you get to hit every club in your bag if you want (unless you drive it 280+). Sometimes tough to find a place to tee your ball up and the greens are slow as it gets, but where else can you play 18 holes for $20 and finish in 2:15?

[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1439997895' post='12169350'][quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1439944611' post='12165764']
[/quote]

If I'm around there I'd rather go to Edgebrook than either. 18 holes for the same price as 9 at BC. Granted its a par 66, but you get to hit every club in your bag if you want (unless you drive it 280+). Sometimes tough to find a place to tee your ball up and the greens are slow as it gets, but where else can you play 18 holes for $20 and finish in 2:15?[/quote]

I'll pass on Edgebrook. For a close 18, I'll play Wilmette or Glencoe.

[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1440002701' post='12169860']
[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1439997895' post='12169350'][quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1439944611' post='12165764']
[/quote]

If I'm around there I'd rather go to Edgebrook than either. 18 holes for the same price as 9 at BC. Granted its a par 66, but you get to hit every club in your bag if you want (unless you drive it 280+). Sometimes tough to find a place to tee your ball up and the greens are slow as it gets, but where else can you play 18 holes for $20 and finish in 2:15?[/quote]

[/quote]

yea I would too, but I put those courses in a different bracket. I only go with Edgebrook if I don't have time for a normal 18 hole round, want to stay close to home and would rather play 18 crappy holes vs 9 better but still mediocre holes.

[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1440005594' post='12170208'][quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1440002701' post='12169860']
[/quote]

[/quote]

yea I would too, but I put those courses in a different bracket. I only go with Edgebrook if I don't have time for a normal 18 hole round, want to stay close to home and would rather play 18 crappy holes vs 9 better but still mediocre holes.[/quote]

Respectfully, the only thing I agree with is the use of the word "crappy:)"

Speaking of Glencoe, when are they going to replace their god awful online reservation system with something that was written in the 21st century? If I'm not mistaken, they are the [b]only [/b]public course in the area that requires a login to simply view the tee sheet.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Ha, I've played Edgebrook once, and I'll never forget it. One guy in our group lost grip of his club and it flew 50 yards ahead of him, never seen that before. Walking, we got to a par 3 on the back side, way on the far corner of the course from the clubhouse when a massive storm rolled through. We tried to wait it out for about an hour but the storm wasn't breaking. Eventually one of our guys ran in, got his truck and meandered the side streets to find where we were hiding out, we hopped the fence and never came back. Whatever highway we took back, Edens or Kennedy I can't recall, was flooded out and we barely snuck through. Crazy day. I'll never forget the mats for tee boxes, and the par 4 where you get a penalty for cutting the corner.

[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1440009914' post='12170696']
[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1440005594' post='12170208'][quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1440002701' post='12169860']
[/quote]

[/quote]

yea I would too, but I put those courses in a different bracket. I only go with Edgebrook if I don't have time for a normal 18 hole round, want to stay close to home and would rather play 18 crappy holes vs 9 better but still mediocre holes.[/quote]

Respectfully, the only thing I agree with is the use of the word "crappy:)"
[/quote]

yea there's no doubt Edgebrook is just about the worst 18 hole track in the Chicago area. But, if I'm stuck looking for a place to play within a few miles of my condo my choices are Edgebrook, Billy Caldwell, Robert Black and Tam O'Shanter. Given those choices I prefer the 18 hole dogtrack just cause it costs the same and you get to hit more shots.

Scramble tomorrow at Ravisloe. We shot 54.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]