Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Is Coyote Run a worthwhile place to play?

It's an OK course. I prefer Ravisloe in the area, but I have no problems with CR.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Anyone know if Gleneagles' Red and White courses used to be known by another name? I have a note that I played the 'Lakes' course. If so, any idea if 'Lakes' is the new Red or White?

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Is Coyote Run a worthwhile place to play?

It's ok. A little on the short side if you're a big hitter, but its always in good shape and the price is usually pretty cheap.

But, like Arg said, Ravisloe is a lot better.

Unfortunately Ravisloe has changed its booking policy for singles this year. Singles are no longer allowed to book online. You may be able to get a tee time by calling the Pro Shop the morning of, but they pretty much rules them out for me this year. 'No way I'm waiting until early Saturday morning to try to get a tee time. Nitwits.

Bowes Creek was in excellent shape yesterday. Still think Bowes is the best value in the Chicagoland area - layout, conditions, practice facilty and experience are hard to beat.

Have you played Highlands of Elgin? On a comparative basis, it's above BC imho.

It's a toss up. A few really weak holes at HofE. But a few spectator holes as well. Also, I'm a sucker for the member for the day experience. You can't go wrong with either course.

Intrigued...what holes are HoE are you not a fan of? Granted some are better than others but I can't think of a hole that strikes me as weak.

Again this is just my opinion, but I think #17 in particular is not a great hole relatively speaking to the otherwise great set of par 3's. I'm also not a huge fan of #18 as a finishing hole. #1 is okay as a starting hole, but the OB right and trouble on the left can make for some slow play to start off the day.

BUT now that I am thinking about it a little more, that's really it. Some amazingly strong (and fun!) holes as well. #5 is a lot of fun (how much to cut off). #16 is a lot of fun too with the speed slot down the right side.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE HofE and think it's a great value. Just the other day at BC with no one there, getting to play unlimited golf for $49....that's tough to beat.

Bowes Creek was in excellent shape yesterday. Still think Bowes is the best value in the Chicagoland area - layout, conditions, practice facilty and experience are hard to beat.

It's a toss up. A few really weak holes at HofE. But a few spectator holes as well. Also, I'm a sucker for the member for the day experience. You can't go wrong with either course.

Love BC, but you could say that the whole front nine there is underwhelming compared to the back.

Also, I think its at least $20-$30 more expensive than HOE and there's no way its $20-$30 better than HOE.

Like I said, love BC but you can't call it the best value in the Chicago area when the real best value in the Chicago area is right around the corner.

I don't disagree. It's a toss-up, as I said before.

But the other day BC was $49 for unlimited golf with no one on the course. That's hard to beat from a value perspective. Perhaps full price on the weekend vs full price on the weekend, I'd give the nod to HoE.

No point in internet debating - both amazing courses!

I imagine showing up on a weekday morning should be no problem getting paired up with a group. No singles booking online is so dumb though.

'Probably. However, I've been burned one too many times showing up and not being able to get on due to one thing or another. If one lives close by, it's probably not a showstopper, but I have to travel 30+ minutes to get to a course, and I can't risk being turned away.

Frankly, the vast majority of courses in the area allow singles to book in any open slot or with an existing twosome or threesome. Courses that refuse to allow singles to book online are really putting themselves at a disadvantage. It seems that a lot of courses are using GolfNow's booking engine, which can be configured to allow singles to book, so there's no technical reason not to allow it.

Deerpath on Saturday morning. Coyote Run at 8:48 am on Sunday. There's an opening for a single at CR if anyone would like to join me.

Intrigued...what holes are HoE are you not a fan of? Granted some are better than others but I can't think of a hole that strikes me as weak.

Again this is just my opinion, but I think #17 in particular is not a great hole relatively speaking to the otherwise great set of par 3's. I'm also not a huge fan of #18 as a finishing hole. #1 is okay as a starting hole, but the OB right and trouble on the left can make for some slow play to start off the day.

BUT now that I am thinking about it a little more, that's really it. Some amazingly strong (and fun!) holes as well. #5 is a lot of fun (how much to cut off). #16 is a lot of fun too with the speed slot down the right side.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE HofE and think it's a great value. Just the other day at BC with no one there, getting to play unlimited golf for $49....that's tough to beat.

Interesting perspective, thank you for sharing. Visually, 17 isn't much to look at, which is the same comment Chicago Lefty makes about me. But it's a b**** of a green to hit especially depending on the pin position.

5 is an interesting hole. Again, I'm nowhere near the player nor have the length as Lefty or VNutz but I'm not sure if it's possible to cut too much off that hole. The worst is you're playing from the rough going into the green but you could have a really short approach on a comparative basis.

Anyone have experience with Links at Carillon?

It used to be my home course years ago. Playable, but nothing special. There are a few goofy holes, but otherwise it's a reasonable layout. It's not overly difficult.

It used to be my home course years ago. Playable, but nothing special. There are a few goofy holes, but otherwise it's a reasonable layout. It's not overly difficult.

I might add if you are playing Links of Carillon it's not worth playing unless you can get on the Red/White course and barley worth it at that. The Blue 9 is a combination of boring and dumb holes.

Speaking of barely worth it courses my group is off to Naperbrook tomorrow morning.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I might add if you are playing Links of Carillon it's not worth playing unless you can get on the Red/White course and barley worth it at that. The Blue 9 is a combination of boring and dumb holes.

Speaking of barely worth it courses my group is off to Naperbrook tomorrow morning.

We in Naperhell appreciate you contributing to the revenues of our fine city.

IMO 17 at HoE is a good hole. At the highest point on the course it will always be tough to judge the wind. Playing up hill will not help matters but they give you ample bail out room right. I've driven 5 a couple of times but it has to be playing firm and downwind. I don't think they could have done a better job designing the 4 holes around the quarry, a long and short 3 and a long and short 4. I could play that course everyday and I wouldn't complain.

Played Prairie Landings this morning. Only the second? round since Florida trip in early March. The course is in good condition.... My game? Not so much... My driver has left me completely. The only good drive I hit actually ran through the fairway and into the water (7th hole). Other then that? Topped ball, snap hook, snap hook, snappier hook, banana.... Rinse and repeat. I did break 90, but not by much. Back to the drawing board...

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Got out to Deerpath early this morning. Cold temps with a breeze coming off the lake. Definitely not exactly as I expected, but it did seem to keep a lot of the casual players away. Pace of play was excellent for a Saturday morning. The course was in very nice shape. Fairways were green, and the greens rolled decently. Certainly not peak season form, but very playable. The par 3 15th's green had some winter damage on the back half.

My score was much better than my ball striking would suggest. I struggled with a bad hook most of the day off the tee, only hitting 5 fairways. However, other than dropping one in the pond on #2, the poor drives didn't get me into serious trouble. I did manage 9 greens, and 2 birdies. Some decent scrambling, including 2 sand saves, allowed me to walk away satisfied for an early season round. I have to slow the tempo down, though.

Got out to Deerpath early this morning. Cold temps with a breeze coming off the lake. Definitely not exactly as I expected, but it did seem to keep a lot of the casual players away. Pace of play was excellent for a Saturday morning. The course was in very nice shape. Fairways were green, and the greens rolled decently. Certainly not peak season form, but very playable. The par 3 15th's green had some winter damage on the back half.

My score was much better than my ball striking would suggest. I struggled with a bad hook most of the day off the tee, only hitting 5 fairways. However, other than dropping one in the pond on #2, the poor drives didn't get me into serious trouble. I did manage 9 greens, and 2 birdies. Some decent scrambling, including 2 sand saves, allowed me to walk away satisfied for an early season round. I have to slow the tempo down, though.

Drove past there a little bit ago. Looked lite. Weather is probably playing a role today.

I usually see a group on the green and a group on the next tee when going past but saw just a 2 some.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

We in Naperhell appreciate you contributing to the revenues of our fine city.

Haha, I grew up in Naperhell and worked at Naperbrook for about 6 years. I'm glad to be out of Naperville and try not to go back unless it's visiting the parents. With that said, got my round off this morning after an hour delay. Naperville should be embarrassed of this course, for suburb that has massive houses and money the course is just one step over dog track these days which makes me said. It was never a pristine country club when I worked there but it was always in great shape. Greens are awful, fairways are shaggy and at some points you have a hard time deciding if you're in light rough or fairway. I thought the conditions I played it in back in December were due to it being December....

The round was a tough one, pretty rough front 9, back 9 I got it back a bit and hit 8 of 9 greens but had 20 putts...ouch. My putting is on a horrible decline.

One other thing I have to throw out there - we booked the round online with a price of $49 including cart. We got to the course and they told us $62, they refused to honor the online rate and more or less told us if we don't like it go somewhere else. Just a heads up to anybody playing there, they may or may not honor the rate they're showing online.....

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

btw with my putting frustrations from last year starting to creep into this year I'm wondering if anybody knows of a good putting/short game instructor in the area? I've had a few lessons with some guys around the area but as good as they were with the full swing I didn't feel they really aided my short game in anyway.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Played Carillon with my dad and brother this afternoon, definitely not a noteworthy course but we were paired with a guy named Barry who was a blast. My ball striking has been top notch so far this season as a couple stupid three putts kept me from my first ever round in the 70's highlighted by the drive of my life truley worthy of golf WRX. The par 5 9th on the white course (our 18th) plays 510 on the scorecard and I had 102 yards in for two, not quite a 400+ yard drive because of the hole setup but I think I'll leave that part out from now on ;)

Played the 9 holes Flagg Creek this morning. Scary to say but the greens were 10 times better than Village Links last week. True and a decent pace.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Played Carillon with my dad and brother this afternoon, definitely not a noteworthy course but we were paired with a guy named Barry who was a blast. My ball striking has been top notch so far this season as a couple stupid three putts kept me from my first ever round in the 70's highlighted by the drive of my life truley worthy of golf WRX. The par 5 9th on the white course (our 18th) plays 510 on the scorecard and I had 102 yards in for two, not quite a 400+ yard drive because of the hole setup but I think I'll leave that part out from now on ;)

They measure that hole funky, I think they go out to the fairway on the right first and then up, If I remember correctly as the crow flies my gps has that hole at like 430 or 440? With 100 yards in you're still upwards of 350 from the back and the fairway narrows pretty good up around there so that's just a great drive and one you should talk about all week!

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Beautiful day for golf. I got out to Coyote Run this morning. The course is in very nice shape. Fairways are green, and the greens are rolling nice, and a little on the fast side. 'Always a plus. Pace of play could have been better. We went off 10 minutes late, and finished in 4:30. The group in front of us was brutal. They were playing the blues, and I saw maybe 2 drives in the fairway all day. They're average was ~220 at best. Army golf.

Another spotty day driving the ball (6/13), although I nailed them when I needed too, reach two downwind par 5's in 2, leading to 2 birdies. The drives never really got me into trouble though, as I managed 14 greens. The putter was steady, and helped make for a nice 1 under for the day. I played the 5 par 3's at 1 over, and I'm very pleased with that, given that 3 of them play over 185.

Played Course 1 at Cog )part of our Sunday rotation). Greens were recently aerated (very disappointing). Never saw so many downhill putts end up short of the hole. Jemsek had no problem caharging us full boat iro greens fees. After 25 years having a tee time at Cog, this might be the last year. Also, round took us a;most 4:45 hours.

15 hcp

Just moved out here. Played a quick 9 at Village Links recently. Awesome layout. Greens were very slow. Spent some time on the putting green today and it wasn't even worth the time. But I'm very impressed with the facility...and the price is right.

Also played Cantigny. Obviously a different experience than Village Links. Very good course, and the practice areas are top notch. Not sure it's worth the $100, but I thought the greens were great, especially for early in the season.

Got out to Mount Prospect, first time ever, so obviously first time since the renovation. I liked the course. Tee'd off around 345, and just got done before total darkness set it. Fairways were firm, and you got PLENTY of roll out. Greens firm, and true, slightly quick (not a bad thing, I thought they rolled great, managing several (4 or 5 at least, 10ft 1 putts)). I quite liked the green complexes, but a few pin locations might have been slightly over the top. For those familiar with the course, 17 has a little jut on the left side, over a bunker, and big area for the rest of the green. The pin was in the middle of that jut. It seemed liked a Sunday PGA pin, not where you might put a local muni pin hah.