2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

btw with my putting frustrations from last year starting to creep into this year I'm wondering if anybody knows of a good putting/short game instructor in the area? I've had a few lessons with some guys around the area but as good as they were with the full swing I didn't feel they really aided my short game in anyway.

Switch to a super stroke grip?

Just moved out here. Played a quick 9 at Village Links recently. Awesome layout. Greens were very slow. Spent some time on the putting green today and it wasn't even worth the time. But I'm very impressed with the facility...and the price is right.

I read that Village Links tries to keep the 9-hole greens at 9 on the stimp and 10-11 on the 18-hole course.

Played the 18 last night. It's been a while since I've played 18 at VL. I enjoyed it. The greens weren't bad, but could have been better. Keep in mind, it's still April. But c'mon people, you've got to fix your ball marks! I was fixing other people's ball marks on practically every green. And now that I'm thinking about it, the tee box on the par 3 11th was in brutal shape.

Just moved out here. Played a quick 9 at Village Links recently. Awesome layout. Greens were very slow. Spent some time on the putting green today and it wasn't even worth the time. But I'm very impressed with the facility...and the price is right.

I read that Village Links tries to keep the 9-hole greens at 9 on the stimp and 10-11 on the 18-hole course.

Played the 18 last night. It's been a while since I've played 18 at VL. I enjoyed it. The greens weren't bad, but could have been better. Keep in mind, it's still April. But c'mon people, you've got to fix your ball marks! I was fixing other people's ball marks on practically every green. And now that I'm thinking about it, the tee box on the par 3 11th was in brutal shape.

It'll be pretty much the same thing in August. They never seem to get great there, and like you said ball marks galore.

I honestly think the 9 hole greens roll nicer, maybe not as fast but usually smoother and in better shape overall.

btw with my putting frustrations from last year starting to creep into this year I'm wondering if anybody knows of a good putting/short game instructor in the area? I've had a few lessons with some guys around the area but as good as they were with the full swing I didn't feel they really aided my short game in anyway.

What's the issue? Push/pull? Speed control?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Got out to Mount Prospect, first time ever, so obviously first time since the renovation. I liked the course. Tee'd off around 345, and just got done before total darkness set it. Fairways were firm, and you got PLENTY of roll out. Greens firm, and true, slightly quick (not a bad thing, I thought they rolled great, managing several (4 or 5 at least, 10ft 1 putts)). I quite liked the green complexes, but a few pin locations might have been slightly over the top. For those familiar with the course, 17 has a little jut on the left side, over a bunker, and big area for the rest of the green. The pin was in the middle of that jut. It seemed liked a Sunday PGA pin, not where you might put a local muni pin hah.

How did the XR's work out?

Got out to Indian Lakes yesterday. Greens had been punched and sanded recently. Other than that course was in fine shape for the type of course it is. A good April course is what I would call it. I got out as a single on a course full of 4somes so I had plenty of time to sit and think about the next shot. Pace of play sucked, but that slow pace helped my game and I played really well for this time of year. Went to the range earlier in the week and figured out the Driver and was happy to see that carry over to yesterday. Only sliced one drive all day. Ended up with an 83 after faltering a bit down the back stretch, but very happy with that after last week's 92. I guess that means my next round will be a 74! :crazy2:

IMO 17 at HoE is a good hole. At the highest point on the course it will always be tough to judge the wind. Playing up hill will not help matters but they give you ample bail out room right. I've driven 5 a couple of times but it has to be playing firm and downwind. I don't think they could have done a better job designing the 4 holes around the quarry, a long and short 3 and a long and short 4. I could play that course everyday and I wouldn't complain.

Got out to HofE yesterday. Of course I hit my worst shot of the day on #17! Bad karma? I still think it's not a great hole, but the green is challenging - narrow and long. And if you're left in those bunkers, good luck. Even if you bail out right it's a tough pitch to stop since everything slopes to the front and to the bunkers.

Course was in decent shape. Greens were a little crispy and hard to get pitch and chip shots to spin a ton. Fairways were rolling out nicely, but not as firm and fast as they are in the summer #itsapril

VL is my home course and I play there a lot. The greens right now are about the same as they'll be all year, which is a shame. I don't know what it is out there, but as you said, no one fixes their ball marks. The greens are nowhere near 11 or 12, and never are. I'd say on a good day they may roll a bumpy 9. Most days I play them closer to 8. The greens are really the only weak spot of the facility, I really like everything else from staff to practice areas.

VL is my home course and I play there a lot. The greens right now are about the same as they'll be all year, which is a shame. I don't know what it is out there, but as you said, no one fixes their ball marks. The greens are nowhere near 11 or 12, and never are. I'd say on a good day they may roll a bumpy 9. Most days I play them closer to 8. The greens are really the only weak spot of the facility, I really like everything else from staff to practice areas.

Agreed. Sometimes I think they purposely keep them slow to keep pace of play up. The course is never a quick play as it is and the greens are large with some pretty big contours at times; most greens have several quadrants. I think if they sped them up to where most of us would like it you'd see the course back up pretty quickly. I know when they've had a few qualifiers you could tell they sped them up a little bit, but it's still never fast. And even if they were fast they don't roll very smooth so it would be a mess IMO.

I don't know enough about greens to know the reason, but ball marks are hard to fix on those greens. Anywhere that had fast and smooth greens, it's very easy to repair ball marks...pretty much a sand base. Even when I fix the ball marks at VL with "proper technique" I can feel some roots pulling out. I can only image how much other people are damaging the greens when they pry their ball marks up.

I've lost faith with Village Links in the 2 rounds I've had there so far this year. If there's not a vast improvement next time I play there (if I play), I'll ask for my money back for my VIP card.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Too bad that's as good as the greens are going to get. I thought the practice greens were not in the shape they were in last year so I assumed it was an early season issue. I agree with Nutz, the 9-hole greens are in better overall shape. Maybe it's because the 9-hole course is more popular with older players who I see bump and run their shots into the green and/or they are simply more courteous about course maintenance.

Played my first round Saturday. Hit maybe 5 fairways and 8 greens. Awful day all around. Missed a GIR from 20 yards out. Can't wait to get back out there and maybe hit 9 fairways!

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

I've lost faith with Village Links in the 2 rounds I've had there so far this year. If there's not a vast improvement next time I play there (if I play), I'll ask for my money back for my VIP card.

I honestly don't see a difference with how they are now vs anytime the last couple years...

He's just mad he still doesn't know how to play the 18th...

I honestly don't see a difference with how they are now vs anytime the last couple years...

He's just mad he still doesn't know how to play the 18th...

I thought the strategy was pretty straightforward. Hit your driver into the center pond. Drop at the hazard line. Hit 7 iron to 3 feet, and one putt for an easy par.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

All of it... honestly I think most of it is in my head. Perfect example this past weekend after a so so front 9 I try to pull it together for a good back 9, hole 10 I have 10 feet for birdie, leave it half an inch short, hole 11 I'm 6 feet away and I miss it high and roll it about 6 inches by. 12th hole I'm 30-35 feet and just decide to 3 putt so by that point mentally I'm done. I realize I'm not a pro but I just left 3 strokes on the table, at the very least the 3 putt is inexcusable. The rest of the back 9 went that, I was dropping my irons insanely close and made nothing, the 3 holes I had longer birdie putts I 3 putted (the week before it was very similar with putting results). I'll try to forget but next time out when I get my first birdie putt and I miss it then that will all start creeping back in. I think a lesson or two would at least help rebuild some confidence in an odd way.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

All of it... honestly I think most of it is in my head. Perfect example this past weekend after a so so front 9 I try to pull it together for a good back 9, hole 10 I have 10 feet for birdie, leave it half an inch short, hole 11 I'm 6 feet away and I miss it high and roll it about 6 inches by. 12th hole I'm 30-35 feet and just decide to 3 putt so by that point mentally I'm done. I realize I'm not a pro but I just left 3 strokes on the table, at the very least the 3 putt is inexcusable. The rest of the back 9 went that, I was dropping my irons insanely close and made nothing, the 3 holes I had longer birdie putts I 3 putted (the week before it was very similar with putting results). I'll try to forget but next time out when I get my first birdie putt and I miss it then that will all start creeping back in. I think a lesson or two would at least help rebuild some confidence in an odd way.

I think many of us have unrealistic expectations. PGA pros make 50% of their 8 foot putts. 10 footers drop to 38%, and 15 footers are 22%. On the other end, they only make 75% of 5 footers.

My main focus is always avoiding 3 putts. We won't drop a high percentage of mid to long putts, but we can easily avoid 3 putting.

I'm generally happy if I miss on the high side, as I gave the putt a chance. If I hit my line, but it was the wrong line, I'm happy. Leaving a putt short is obviously aggravating, as 99% of putts left short don't go in. However, if I had the right line, I take something positive away from it.

Yes, it can get get frustrating to hit solid approaches all day and not convert. However, if one is putting a good stroke on the ball, hitting their line, dying the ball at the hole, and avoiding testy 2nd putts, then things aren't that bad.

I switched to a heavier, counter-weighted Odyssey Tank putter this season. I tried one off season, and it seemed to smooth out my stroke, and help keep the face square. So far, so good.

Got out to Mount Prospect, first time ever, so obviously first time since the renovation. I liked the course. Tee'd off around 345, and just got done before total darkness set it. Fairways were firm, and you got PLENTY of roll out. Greens firm, and true, slightly quick (not a bad thing, I thought they rolled great, managing several (4 or 5 at least, 10ft 1 putts)). I quite liked the green complexes, but a few pin locations might have been slightly over the top. For those familiar with the course, 17 has a little jut on the left side, over a bunker, and big area for the rest of the green. The pin was in the middle of that jut. It seemed liked a Sunday PGA pin, not where you might put a local muni pin hah.

Through two rounds, good so far. I will have some time to adjust to the distances (as I don't really practice, nor have a launch monitor to get carry averages/expectations). I am loving the ease of contact, and how effortlessly the ball tends to jump off the club. They are giving a bit of a confidence boost while playing, so that will help, and just hopefully not wear off too quickly :)

I decided last minute, around 9am, that I was going to go golfing today. Was looking at hot deals early, couldn't find anything I cared for (extremely budget minded today), was just about done, refreshed golfnow hot deals one more time, and the 951 at Bridges of Poplar Creek had dropped from $30 to $10. Found a 10% off code, payed 12.49 with fee, less than 75 cents a hole. Shot an 89, with some promising shots. When I played last night, I was paired with an Asian gentleman who just was swinging so easily and effortlessly, I tried it on the back 9. Seemed to do well, and worked good enough today. In the past, I wouldn't swing out of my shoes, but I would try to swing as hard as I could. I feel like with the easy swing, easy tempo, I am hitting nearly as far, with lots less wasted energy. Can't say all the shots are straighter, but as a whole I feel they are.

I think many of us have unrealistic expectations. PGA pros make 50% of their 8 foot putts. 10 footers drop to 38%, and 15 footers are 22%. On the other end, they only make 75% of 5 footers.

My main focus is always avoiding 3 putts. We won't drop a high percentage of mid to long putts, but we can easily avoid 3 putting.

I'm generally happy if I miss on the high side, as I gave the putt a chance. If I hit my line, but it was the wrong line, I'm happy. Leaving a putt short is obviously aggravating, as 99% of putts left short don't go in. However, if I had the right line, I take something positive away from it.

Yes, it can get get frustrating to hit solid approaches all day and not convert. However, if one is putting a good stroke on the ball, hitting their line, dying the ball at the hole, and avoiding testy 2nd putts, then things aren't that bad.

I switched to a heavier, counter-weighted Odyssey Tank putter this season. I tried one off season, and it seemed to smooth out my stroke, and help keep the face square. So far, so good.

I do try to keep my expectations in check, for me it's having 3 - 3 putts over 9 holes totaling to 5 times over 18 just turns frustrating. In this particular round if I eliminate those I shoot a 75 but instead card an 80. Hell two of them were from about 2 feet away so even making those puts me at a 78. It'd also be nice to get a birdie putt to drop at least once, in 36 holes now I've made nothing under 10 feet. I went to a counter weighted putter as well and I do feel better standing over the ball with it, just need some more time on the practice green I guess.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Through two rounds, good so far. I will have some time to adjust to the distances (as I don't really practice, nor have a launch monitor to get carry averages/expectations). I am loving the ease of contact, and how effortlessly the ball tends to jump off the club. They are giving a bit of a confidence boost while playing, so that will help, and just hopefully not wear off too quickly :)

I decided last minute, around 9am, that I was going to go golfing today. Was looking at hot deals early, couldn't find anything I cared for (extremely budget minded today), was just about done, refreshed golfnow hot deals one more time, and the 951 at Bridges of Poplar Creek had dropped from $30 to $10. Found a 10% off code, payed 12.49 with fee, less than 75 cents a hole. Shot an 89, with some promising shots. When I played last night, I was paired with an Asian gentleman who just was swinging so easily and effortlessly, I tried it on the back 9. Seemed to do well, and worked good enough today. In the past, I wouldn't swing out of my shoes, but I would try to swing as hard as I could. I feel like with the easy swing, easy tempo, I am hitting nearly as far, with lots less wasted energy. Can't say all the shots are straighter, but as a whole I feel they are.

Watch Lydia Ko, Inbee Park, In Gee Chun, or Na Yeon Choi. All have fantastic tempo, and make solid contact.

I do try to keep my expectations in check, for me it's having 3 - 3 putts over 9 holes totaling to 5 times over 18 just turns frustrating. In this particular round if I eliminate those I shoot a 75 but instead card an 80. Hell two of them were from about 2 feet away so even making those puts me at a 78. It'd also be nice to get a birdie putt to drop at least once, in 36 holes now I've made nothing under 10 feet. I went to a counter weighted putter as well and I do feel better standing over the ball with it, just need some more time on the practice green I guess.

Ignoring the 3 putt from two feet, what's the average starting distance? Are you seriously trying to make a 30 footer, or are you primarily focused on lagging it close? It's nice to drop a bomb now and again, but my primary focus on long putts is to get it within tap in range.

Are you blowing the first putt 8 feet past, or coming up 8 feet short? Do you try to dial in the speed on the practice green? I always hit way more lag putts on the practice green than short putts, especially if time is tight.

I need to get out there in the next few weeks. It's now changing to a priority.

I like Eslers work and have been wanting to see how this turned out.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

If you go on a Monday Tuesday or Wednesday, and would like company, I would definitely be up to join you. Some weekends are possible, if I go first thing in the morning (I work the grave shift, 8-p-6a).

If you go on a Monday Tuesday or Wednesday, and would like company, I would definitely be up to join you. Some weekends are possible, if I go first thing in the morning (I work the grave shift, 8-p-6a).

Cool. I'll let you know. Those days are usually packed with meetings so it might end up being an afternooner.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Cool. I'll let you know. Those days are usually packed with meetings so it might end up being an afternooner.

No problem. Working in the casino, I don't get weekends off, when most people seem to golf hah. FWIW, I was able to just finish starting at 345ish, but that is with a group holding us up basically every shot on the back. A twosome that joined us on 17 said they started at 430. With the days getting longer, and assuming not overly busy midweek afternoons, it shouldn't be too hard to get a round in.

And I should note, that any Chicagoland WRX'er that would like to golf on Mondays, Tuesdays, or Wednesdays, I would love to meet more of you. I have had the pleasure to meet 7 so far, I believe. Golfed with Lefty, Scratch, DP4, VNutz, and Jim, as well as a couple quick meets for BST transactions as they were on to work, JazzMasta and og512. I don't think I missed any, but who knows. I am getting to be very forgetful with things.

They're much slower this year. That's my beef. Slow is cruel. Fast is cool.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Ignoring the 3 putt from two feet, what's the average starting distance? Are you seriously trying to make a 30 footer, or are you primarily focused on lagging it close? It's nice to drop a bomb now and again, but my primary focus on long putts is to get it within tap in range.

Are you blowing the first putt 8 feet past, or coming up 8 feet short? Do you try to dial in the speed on the practice green? I always hit way more lag putts on the practice green than short putts, especially if time is tight.

Depends on the day - this past two rounds I've been dropping some amazing iron shots and in 36 holes I count 15 where I was 10 feet or in for birdie and made zero. My bigger issue is when I'm in that 30 foot range I'm just having difficulty 2 putting and I need to fix that. When I practice I focus on the 30-40 footers more than the short guys, I tend to figure since I can't practice daily if I can work hard at getting those long putts close and removing the 3 putt that'll help me more than anything since I'm not always dropping irons like I have been the last two weeks. I dunno, like I said before I think a lot of it is in my head at this point and I just need a round where I can sink a couple of putts and get my confidence up.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy