Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Guess I am going to hit Ruffled Feathers on Monday morning with a couple guys I met last week at Bridges of Poplar Creek. Came to find out that they are in the same industry as me. Going to be a bit on the cool side, but hopefully it isn't too wet from all this rain the last couple days.

Anyone been yet this year? Wondering how the course is coming into shape? How the greens are?

I was out there I think two weeks ago, range and course were pretty beat up and it was soaked. Greens were fast and bumpy.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Played Calumet Country Club this past Tuesday, and the course was in amazing shape. Greens rolled true, and the fairways and rough were in great shape for this time of year. Shot a 79 which isn't bad for my first time playing CCC.

In The Bag:

Epic Sub Zero 65 Gram Fujikura Pro
Epic Sub Zero 80 Gram Aldila rogue
816 H1 21 degree Motore Speeder 8.8
716 AP 2 4-PW TT DG AMT S400
SM6 50, 54, 58 Wedges
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0

Got out to Mount Prospect, first time ever, so obviously first time since the renovation. I liked the course. Tee'd off around 345, and just got done before total darkness set it. Fairways were firm, and you got PLENTY of roll out. Greens firm, and true, slightly quick (not a bad thing, I thought they rolled great, managing several (4 or 5 at least, 10ft 1 putts)). I quite liked the green complexes, but a few pin locations might have been slightly over the top. For those familiar with the course, 17 has a little jut on the left side, over a bunker, and big area for the rest of the green. The pin was in the middle of that jut. It seemed liked a Sunday PGA pin, not where you might put a local muni pin hah.

I need to get out there in the next few weeks. It's now changing to a priority.

I like Eslers work and have been wanting to see how this turned out.

If you go on a Monday Tuesday or Wednesday, and would like company, I would definitely be up to join you. Some weekends are possible, if I go first thing in the morning (I work the grave shift, 8-p-6a).

Buddha, I work similar hours to you but I am a much warmer weather golfer. We will have to get out when the weather improves.

Anyone playing midweek (T-Th) this week?

I plan on getting out tomorrow, just no plans as of yet.

As for today, Ruffled Feathers wasn't in horrible shape, especially since some areas had standing water (not many). It was cart path only, which was to be expected. Hit some really nice shots, some not so good ones, and finally made my first birdie of the year. After having several birdie putts just miss, running an inch or two to the side of the hole, I hit a 9i to about 12ft on the par 3 11th, and had a sidebreaking putt that I was finally able to drain. I shot a 95 that seemed to be worse. 7 fairways, 5 greens, with 35 putts, I will take it.

If the wind wasn't around, it would have been a beautiful day. Sun was out shining, but the wind had a chill, along with screwing with the ball some ;)

I think Im playing tomorrow morning...or practice...just gonna wing it.

TRS 3 / Ping Max 10k Ventus Red TR 5s - Ventus + Blue 5s - TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

Got out to Ruffled Feathers at 3pm... As Buddha said, the course was not in that bad of a shape, and the greens were actually pretty fast and relatively smooth. Played so, so... 81 from blues. Highlight? Hit a driver, PW to 2 feet (and made an eagle putt) on par 5 13th. They had the tees way up, but we played the hole from the usual spot. Yes, it was playing downwind... Short game sucked big time. Almost drove 11th... Walked away with bogey. Hit driver, 7i over the green on 15th - yup, another bogey.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Practiced for about an hour and a half at Village Links tonight. Over on the big practice green, which is in pretty bad shape, two older gentlemen were having a loud, but friendly, conversation that jumped from topic to disparate topic so randomly and suddenly, it made my head spin. One moment they were talking about pitching technique, then the next about heart valve surgery, then putting stance, the Cubs, a mutual friend, and on and on it went... With never a pause in between. I suspect these gentlemen may have been the source of the hundreds of sunflower seed shells littered over the green, and I'm almost positive the left-to-burn cigarette butts was from one of them. Over on the pitching green was a very loud group of grade school boys gambling away their parents money until one of the fathers came to usher them away, and threatening to never take them golfing again when he caught wind of the action that was going down. It was great to be out practicing - especially given the crappy weather we had this past weekend. The sunset was a very welcome sight.

Now talk about a buried lead, but the point of my post was to ask other Village Linksers if they notice that the yardage keys on the range are often inaccurate. Last year, on two occasions, I asked an employee walking by if those yardages were checked. He came back with a rangefinder and sure enough, flags were off by as much as 25 yards. I don't bother bringing it up anymore, but I'm pretty sure they are still being mismarked by a considerable margin, quite often.

Practiced for about an hour and a half at Village Links tonight. Over on the big practice green, which is in pretty bad shape, two older gentlemen were having a loud, but friendly, conversation that jumped from topic to disparate topic so randomly and suddenly, it made my head spin. One moment they were talking about pitching technique, then the next about heart valve surgery, then putting stance, the Cubs, a mutual friend, and on and on it went... With never a pause in between. I suspect these gentlemen may have been the source of the hundreds of sunflower seed shells littered over the green, and I'm almost positive the left-to-burn cigarette butts was from one of them. Over on the pitching green was a very loud group of grade school boys gambling away their parents money until one of the fathers came to usher them away, and threatening to never take them golfing again when he caught wind of the action that was going down. It was great to be out practicing - especially given the crappy weather we had this past weekend. The sunset was a very welcome sight.

Now talk about a buried lead, but the point of my post was to ask other Village Linksers if they notice that the yardage keys on the range are often inaccurate. Last year, on two occasions, I asked an employee walking by if those yardages were checked. He came back with a rangefinder and sure enough, flags were off by as much as 25 yards. I don't bother bringing it up anymore, but I'm pretty sure they are still being mismarked by a considerable margin, quite often.

I don't think they're accurate. I can't imagine they're adjusting the numbers every time they move the range tees.

I don't think they're accurate. I can't imagine they're adjusting the numbers every time they move the range tees.

As long as any course/practice facility established where the measurements are from, be it the front of the range, back middle, whatever, and made it common knowledge among employees (and guests), everyone could benefit.

As long as any course/practice facility established where the measurements are from, be it the front of the range, back middle, whatever, and made it common knowledge among employees (and guests), everyone could benefit.

Better courses display the yardages to each colored target on the range for the day's "tee" position.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Dooooooods....the practice green at Schaumburg is immaculate. I hope they continue to maintain it the way it USE to be.

I couldnt get out to play because they had an outing.

Its perfect for a quick 9 or 18 before work.

TRS 3 / Ping Max 10k Ventus Red TR 5s - Ventus + Blue 5s - TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

Played Hilldale for the first time yesterday. I can't believe all the golf I play that I've never played there before. I'll definitely go back.

It's a nice course and even better if you get their coupon deals. A friend of mine bought a bunch for $29.

Dooooooods....the practice green at Schaumburg is immaculate. I hope they continue to maintain it the way it USE to be.

I couldnt get out to play because they had an outing.

Its perfect for a quick 9 or 18 before work.

Schaumburg is a solid track. It can play long (for me) depending where the tees are. It's a good course too if the wife wants to play since the red tees are about 150-200yd forward so our 2nd shots are about even.

Anybody ever play Longwood Country Club in Crete or Nettle Creek in Morris?

Played Longwood for conference my senior year, but that was 15+ years ago so I don't remember a ton of details. It was a decent course but nothing special. A couple cool holes but nothing great or high end from what I remember. Kind of fitting for the area it's in, if that makes any sense, in other words similar to other NW IN area courses I've played.

Played Longwood for conference my senior year, but that was 15+ years ago so I don't remember a ton of details. It was a decent course but nothing special. A couple cool holes but nothing great or high end from what I remember. Kind of fitting for the area it's in, if that makes any sense, in other words similar to other NW IN area courses I've played.

I had a hunch. Ive got a voucher from the golf expo I need to use this month. Those are the two closest courses to me. Otherwise its a "sick day" and a mid week trip to Whittaker Woods.

I haven't played Longwood in a very long long time but as mentioned already, nothing special. It was pretty wide open, some long holes, some lay up holes. Greens were in alright condition.

If it's on your voucher list, I would rather play Glenwoodie. Then again, I haven't played that course in a very long long time also so not sure what type of condition it is these days.

I haven't played Longwood in a very long long time but as mentioned already, nothing special. It was pretty wide open, some long holes, some lay up holes. Greens were in alright condition.

If it's on your voucher list, I would rather play Glenwoodie. Then again, I haven't played that course in a very long long time also so not sure what type of condition it is these days.

I played Glenwoodie in July '14. Nothing really changes there. It's never bad, but it's also never great. Wet conditions are always going to be an issue with the creek unless they dump a lot of money into it, which is likely to never happen. Like a lot of courses in the area they seemed to have cleared quite a number of trees, especially on the right side of the par 5 4th (I believe).

'Still think #16, The Devil Hole, is one of the tougher par 4's in the area.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

i played springbrook today because of a sweet deal on golfnow. kinda wish i stayed home. driving range was beat up like usual and the course was in the worst shape i have seen it. on half the holes where you land your drives was course under repair, greens were aerated and slow. hole locations were some of the hardest you can put on the course. just not a fun day golfing

I played Glenwoodie in July '14. Nothing really changes there. It's never bad, but it's also never great. Wet conditions are always going to be an issue with the creek unless they dump a lot of money into it, which is likely to never happen. Like a lot of courses in the area they seemed to have cleared quite a number of trees, especially on the right side of the par 5 4th (I believe).

'Still think #16, The Devil Hole, is one of the tougher par 4's in the area.

Sadly Glenwoodie is not on the voucher list. Just courses managed by Golf Visions.

Funny about 16. the first and last time I played it, I carried that creek and then some. Left me with something like an 80 yard shot up to the green. I was driving badly all day and by the time I got to that infamous hole I just gave up. An angry frustrated swing will go far apparently.