Seriously considering moving to the san Antonio area

Looking for folks willing to help me pick out areas to seek out to live. Considering Boerne and new braunfels at the moment. Any other areas to look at. If wanted to stay closer to san antonio like around the outside loop,where would one want to look at?

What's the avg cost of golf courses? Property tax rates? I hear some courses don't over seed during the colder months,what's it like playing on that? Green speeds?

good websites to compare cost of living ? Would love to hear what people have to say,hate to make another move without really learning anything about area first.

Thanks

Greg

[email protected]

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have relatives who live in Boerne, San Antonio and in the New Braunfels area. Boerne is nice, but my people there complain about property taxes because they have had a serious influx of families escaping SA, so new schools, expansion of city services etc. Both Boerne and NB are considered to be in the Hill Country, so there is a premium to be paid to buy there, and NB is a big tourist draw. One of my cousins lives in SA, not too far from Fiesta Texas, and where they live is very nice and pretty upscale. A friend lives in SA Heights, one of the oldest areas of the city, very upscale and very expensive. None of them play golf, so I've never played in the area. Summers in SA tend to be very hot and very humid, but it does not have a lot of really cold weather. It happens, but not a regular thing. Just guessing, but the north side of SA may be more desirable than the south side.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BigLeftyinAZ' timestamp='1433911010' post='11723572']
Guess the population of san antonio area is pretty low.Would have thought I'd get a bunch or responses
[/quote]

You probably would get more responses if you were moving to Dallas, Austin, or Houston. SA is a large city, but fairly small metro compared with DFW and Houston. When you break down the golf population in SA, you probably won't get a huge response on places to live. Is there any particular reason why you're picking SA?

[quote name='atx11' timestamp='1435039306' post='11816638']
[quote name='BigLeftyinAZ' timestamp='1433911010' post='11723572']
Guess the population of san antonio area is pretty low.Would have thought I'd get a bunch or responses
[/quote]

You probably would get more responses if you were moving to Dallas, Austin, or Houston. SA is a large city, but fairly small metro compared with DFW and Houston. When you break down the golf population in SA, you probably won't get a huge response on places to live. Is there any particular reason why you're picking SA?
[/quote]

Because we like the Area.Lot's to do there. Sea world,Six Flags,3 water parks, the Zoo,Bat caves and lots of trails and rivers to raft in .
I'd rather move back to Los Angeles then go to Dallas. Plus I don't want to deal with Tornados.Houston is to humid

Understood. I wasn't saying you should move to those other cities, just saying you would probably get more responses. Side note, the tornado threat is way overblown, I've lived off and on in the Dallas area for 15 years and I've never seen one. Ice and snow is more of a threat than tornadoes, in my opinion, at least for Dallas proper.

To your point, that's why many Texas residents make SA a recreational destination, as there is a decent amount of stuff to do. I'm not a full time real estate agent, but I've had my license for awhile, and I've got access to a lot of data. Feel free to PM me and I can run some searches on property taxes, cost of living, etc. Happy to help!

I'm mainly in Dallas and Austin for work, but I make it down to SA every year or so to visit friends. If you get to the point of needing a realtor, I can find a local agent for you by way of some friends in the industry.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

281/1604 is nice. TPC, Canyon Springs, Northern Hills close by. Nice courses. Sonterra if you wanna join a club (and bring a buddy *wink*).

SA has a ton of great courses, and the munis are the best in the country from what I've seen and been told. Don't let the stigma of muni influence you here. Brack/Cedar/Willow/Northern Hills are excellent and are muni.

The metro is bigger than most give it credit but from what I've seen the attachment to social media or use of the Internet of things is not as strong culturally here as Austin/Houston/Dallas. It's not a population thing but a culture thing. Tons of people golf here and getting in any time before 1pm without a tee time is a struggle at its finest.

Welcome. I live by La Cantera and work at 281/1604. Let's golf.

Didn't see average cost question

First thing you'll do is get the Alamo Golf trial $60/yr membership. Comes with 6 free rounds anywhere except Cedar and Brack (you get a discount using a punch there)

With membership:

Cedar- $33 weekend morning
Brack- $45 weekend morning
All other trail courses- $28 morning

Non muni popular courses:

Quarry- $100 weekend morning
La Cantera- $100 weekend morning
Canyon Springs- $80 weekend morning
TPC - $280 weekend morning (lol good luck getting a tee time tho)
Republic- $80

If you play after 10, it's much cheaper but there's weekend morning rates which is most popular time to play. For instance after 12pm Quarry and Canyon are like $39

Outside SA but within an hour:

Vaaler Creek (VERY nice course): $80
Bandit-: $80

[quote name='jasonbird110' timestamp='1446824719' post='12561274']
Didn't see average cost question

First thing you'll do is get the Alamo Golf trial $60/yr membership. Comes with 6 free rounds anywhere except Cedar and Brack (you get a discount using a punch there)

With membership:

Cedar- $33 weekend morning
Brack- $45 weekend morning
All other trail courses- $28 morning

Non muni popular courses:

Quarry- $100 weekend morning
La Cantera- $100 weekend morning
Canyon Springs- $80 weekend morning
TPC - $280 weekend morning (lol good luck getting a tee time tho)
Republic- $80

If you play after 10, it's much cheaper but there's weekend morning rates which is most popular time to play. For instance after 12pm Quarry and Canyon are like $39

Outside SA but within an hour:

Vaaler Creek (VERY nice course): $80
Bandit-: $80
[/quote]

I have to second the Alamo City Golf Trail membership/courses. I have now played Cedar, Mission del Lago, Riverside, Willow, and Northern Hills and I like them all. If you're up for a little competition, there is the ACGT Tour that is flighted and handicapped as well. Welcome to SA, if you're ever up for a round on a Saturday afternoon, I'm around!

Good thing I check-in again. I haven't heard of northern hills?we just bought land up in windmill ranch up 281/46 . I usually don't like playing before 9-10 .I like the grass to dry up a touch . prevents a little of the humidity. Will anywhere let me walk on and practice at their driving range? Tpc is real close. then canyon springs is next , I think

[quote name='BigLeftyinAZ' timestamp='1447125634' post='12577212']
Good thing I check-in again. I haven't heard of northern hills?we just bought land up in windmill ranch up 281/46 . I usually don't like playing before 9-10 .I like the grass to dry up a touch . prevents a little of the humidity. Will anywhere let me walk on and practice at their driving range? Tpc is real close. then canyon springs is next , I think
[/quote]

Canyon Springs does not have much of a practicing type facility imo.

I doubt TPC allows walk ups for practice, I go to San Pedro. Can be about a 20 minute drive, but it has a full range, a par 3 course, 2 practice bunkers, 2 chipping greens, and 2 putting greens. 25% range balls there with the Alamo Golf Trail membership which, again, I highly recommend you get for $60.

You sort of moved to extreme north SA, so there aren't many wells up there, so fewer courses. TPC , Vaaler Creek, Canyon Springs, Northern Hills are your closest I think, in that order.

Northern Hills was a private course that the city just bought and handed over to the Alamo Golf Trail. It is now apart of the Alamo Golf Trail Membership, which brings the AGCT to 8 courses (Brack, Cedar Creek, Mission Del Lago, Willow Springs, Olmos Basin, Riverside, Northern Hills, San Pedro Par 3 and Practice Facility. There is also a pitch & putt course at Riverside.

[quote name='BigLeftyinAZ' timestamp='1447161624' post='12578310']
Im used to driving to play golf, coming from so. Cal , we use to drive up to an hour to play and sometimes hour and half . so, that won't be an issue . up by me ,there isn't much. River crossing and canyon golf . I need this hit the range and find a way to get the rust out
[/quote]

If driving an hour is not an issue for you then every course in the region up to Marble Falls/Austin is in your area of reachability. Lots and lots of good courses to play with that kind of radius, all the way from Mission del Lago to Falconhead in west Austin. I try to stay within 30 minutes, unless its a special outing to Bandit or something.

[quote name='BigLeftyinAZ' timestamp='1447200305' post='12581594']
Is the range at San Pedro grass or mats?
[/quote]

100% grass. Yesterday they were hitting off the downslope so that sucks, but today it should be moved back to the flat area. The green just got punched and overseeded and will take 2-3 weeks to be rolling true again they told me. Good thing the "secondary" green is in perfect shape right now!