2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Coolest Famous Person You Have Played With

SeanPMcD

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='cardoustie' timestamp='1431447086' post='11545422']
My favorite event for meeting sports celebs was 2 rounds at the Gretzky Nationwide that was up here for 3 years

I didn't play with these guys but met about every famous hockey player afterwards in the two evening after parties: Gretzky, Clark, Coffey, Messier, Hull, etc etc,

Even Barkley and Elway were there

Practice round was with Dan Carcillo, good times
[/quote]
Carbomb? Did he hit you just because? And that's coming from a Hawks fan!

I saw Steve Harvey at a golf resort in Greensboro about 5 years ago. I was on the practice green as he pulled up in a cart to warm up. A white dude approached and tried to yuck it up with Steve in an obnoxious way and he just kind of played it cool, let the guy talk and walked over to the green. I walked by him and he gave me a "What's up man?" Guy just wanted to relax and be one of the guys. I remember he had a really nice staff bag that was pretty colorful.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

Kevin Dillon. Douchebag. Gave me his cell number to play Winged Foot any time I wanted and failed to return three calls.

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5 Fuji Ventus Black 6S
Callaway Epic SubZero 16.5 Fuji Ventus 7S
PING i500 3 iron UST Recoil 95 F4
PING i500 5 iron Steelfiber i95S
TaylorMade 790 irons 6-PW
Vokey SM8 Raw 50F 54S 59K 62M
Scotty Cameron Timeless CS

I played (2) late afternoon rounds with a guy about 4 years ago. He was a doctor who performed facial reconstruction and other cosmetic surgeries to the kids coming home from Iraq/Afghanistan. I had seen the guy hanging around the putting green, so I asked him if he was waiting on someone. He said that he was a straggler. I told him to go tell the counter person that he was in my group which was booked as a threesome. The guys that I hang with are a pretty rough & tumble, but they are good people. ( [i]retired navy, army, marines[/i]) We had no idea about him until after the round as to who he was. He wasn't very comfortable talking about himself, but he finally came out with it. When he finally coughed it all up, it was the first time in 25-30 years that I saw my buddies actually shut up for more than 2 minutes. The guy worked on a cost basis only. He had done very well for himself prior, and wanted to pay it forward. He was probably one of the most humble guys I have ever been around. After a couple beers, we all agreed to meet again the next afternoon for our usual nassau, and we invited him.

We all played again the next day and had a great time. ([i] arguing, complaining, boasting, teasing, and gamesmanship[/i]) We had our usual 19th hole beers, and each of us gave him hats from our favorite duty stations. I gave him my original ESWS pin ([i] enlisted surface warfare[/i]) that I achieved on the USS Barnstable County. The man almost busted out crying. A couple days later we all showed up at the course, and there was a dozen ProV1's waiting on each of us.

[b]Brethren![/b]

[quote name='John L.' timestamp='1434233496' post='11746068']
I played (2) late afternoon rounds with a guy about 4 years ago. He was a doctor who performed facial reconstruction and other cosmetic surgeries to the kids coming home from Iraq/Afghanistan. I had seen the guy hanging around the putting green, so I asked him if he was waiting on someone. He said that he was a straggler. I told him to go tell the counter person that he was in my group which was booked as a threesome. The guys that I hang with are a pretty rough & tumble, but they are good people. ( [i]retired navy, army, marines[/i]) We had no idea about him until after the round as to who he was. He wasn't very comfortable talking about himself, but he finally came out with it. When he finally coughed it all up, it was the first time in 25-30 years that I saw my buddies actually shut up for more than 2 minutes. The guy worked on a cost basis only. He had done very well for himself prior, and wanted to pay it forward. He was probably one of the most humble guys I have ever been around. After a couple beers, we all agreed to meet again the next afternoon for our usual nassau, and we invited him.

We all played again the next day and had a great time. ([i] arguing, complaining, boasting, teasing, and gamesmanship[/i]) We had our usual 19th hole beers, and each of us gave him hats from our favorite duty stations. I gave him my original ESWS pin ([i] enlisted surface warfare[/i]) that I achieved on the USS Barnstable County. The man almost busted out crying. A couple days later we all showed up at the course, and there was a dozen ProV1's waiting on each of us.

[b]Brethren![/b]
[/quote]

Now this has to be the best one by far!!! Heck I teared up on this one. Thank you and the guys for your service!!!!

[quote name='CommerceTiger' timestamp='1431576148' post='11556506']
[quote name='dearth12' timestamp='1431391494' post='11541486']
Got paired up in the summer of 2013 with John Smoltz at Eagle Eye in Michigan on a golf trip.
[/quote]

Im a huge Braves fan so I'm curious if Smoltz was a nice guy. I've heard he is not. Haha
[/quote]

Sorry I took so long to respond. I would not say he was the nicest guy, but I honestly believe some of his lack of conversation was due to the fact that he was so in to concentrating on his round. He can play.

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Taylormade SIM 5 wood w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-80X
Sub 70 699u Pro 2 iron 17* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-90X
Mizuno MMC 4-6 w/ Dynamic Gold- X100

Mizuno MP20 7-PW w/ Dynamic Gold-X100
Mizuno MP T20 50*, 54*, 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S-400 
Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

[quote name='Voltron' timestamp='1434389792' post='11755594']
I know this doesn't count... but Michael Jordan once played through my group.

he dropped his cigar in the middle of the fairway.. I picked it up and kept it, lol
[/quote]

I played behind MJ at a exclusive club where he is a member. The club is pretty strict with their rules (visitors, even playing with members, must have caddies, everyone must have a tee time, all groups must be 4 somes, etc..) . Its pretty stuffy and most of the members are s*&@ty players who can't hit out of their shadows on an incredibly tough, long golf course (has a uphill par 3 that is 240 yds from the blue tees). Makes for some long rounds but well worth it.
MJ was playing with like 7 other guys. All at the same time. They were all over the course. With caddies there were like 10 people driving around the hole, complete circus! I never got an accurate count on how may people where actually playing. He seemed to be the only one in the fairway so I think he was making some money. They were soooo slow. I actually hit into them unintentionally (the old drive back to look for the long lost ball as the ball leaves my driver). My friend, who is a member, was pretty pissed and complained that they let him do whatever he wants. ( I didn't argue, but hey its MJ, he can do whatever he wants in my book too)
They finally let us play through at the turn. Number 10 is a drivable par 4 that I have driven many times. I proceeded to hook my drive at least 50 yards back into 9 fairway.... I don't know if the greatest of all time was watching, I didn't bother to look, just jumped in the cart and took off. l did make par for the record. Career blind shot onto the green and two putted. Never saw them again.

Callaway Rogue ST 💎💎💎 LS 9* Ventus Black 6X (green dot adapter set to 7*)

Maverik Sub Zero 13.5 Ventus Blue 7X

Apex UW 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Callaway X Forged 4-PW Modus 125X

Apex MB Gap Wedge  50* Modus 125X

Vokey 56S & 60L TT Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select Newport

At my current job ( and when I worked a Guitar Center as a youngster) I have meet plenty of "famous" people. But the only one I have ever golfed with was Billy Jo Hobert. Played two different SCGA team play matches against him. Super nice guy.... Beat him both times. :)

TM M2 2017 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 65 S
Ping G400 14.5 PING Tour 80g S
Ping Anser 17* 23* PING Tour  S
PING iE1 5-PW Modus3 105 S
PING Glide 2.0 50* 54* 60* Modus 115 Wedge S
BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

[quote name='SurfDuffer' timestamp='1431260141' post='11531256']

That was an entertaining round of golf for sure. For me though the coolest round was playing another event with former NHL star Brian Propp who turned out to be a great player and a really good guy to spend the day with. Turned out we had similar interests in hunting and fishing. Fun day for sure.

[url="https://youtu.be/KVZQ_zbEzjU"]https://youtu.be/KVZQ_zbEzjU[/url]
[/quote]

So you didn't mention Chris Chelios?

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

The voice of pumba in lion king. When I saw him, it was on the tip of my tongue to ask, after he spoke I knew and his playing partner confirmed it was him. His name was Ernie Sabella and he is from Simsbury in CT next to me. He was amazed to see how far I could hit the ball. I was amazed to hear him speak, lol we played at simsbury farms in CT.

many, many years ago on spring break my friend and I got on at Doral. We were paired with the "McCarty" twosomes. when we met them on the tee- we found out it was actually Andrew McCarthy and his manager. this was 26-27 years ago and he had just finished less than zero..and was wearing the same shades. He was very nice, and we did not bother him with "shop" talk since he was on a golf vacation. At the turn he said" well, its noon somewhere, and bought us each a beer..which was pretty cool. very down to earth and regular guy.

[quote name='AC^' timestamp='1434435979' post='11760032']
Golfed with Paige MacKenzie a couple of times.
[/quote]

Elaborate on this one??

TaylorMade SLDR 460 12*+1* stock stiff
Tour Exotics XCG 15*; Mizzuno 19* MP-650
Callaway X-20 Tour 4 - PW; PX 6.0 shafts
Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Teron, 35" Super Stroke 3.0
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/KevinR22

[quote name='SeanPMcD' timestamp='1434574124' post='11771290']
[quote name='AC^' timestamp='1434435979' post='11760032']
Golfed with Paige MacKenzie a couple of times.
[/quote]

How many times did she say "when I was on the LPGA"?
[/quote]...or "I'm disgusted!"

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5 Fuji Ventus Black 6S
Callaway Epic SubZero 16.5 Fuji Ventus 7S
PING i500 3 iron UST Recoil 95 F4
PING i500 5 iron Steelfiber i95S
TaylorMade 790 irons 6-PW
Vokey SM8 Raw 50F 54S 59K 62M
Scotty Cameron Timeless CS

• 4 months later...

Played with Winky Wright at Shadow Creek in Vegas once.

As a kid got to play one hole with Peter Jacobsen. My friend and I were playing early evening at Broadmoor Country Club in Seattle. Caught up to a guy practicing on the 14th green, turned out to be him. Being very shy I challenged him to a match and he agreed to a one hole showdown. My buddy and I both made par and he missed his par putt from 5 feet. Pretty sure he missed it on purpose but none of our friends believed us anyway.

Played nine holes with OJ Mayo at Cascata few years ago as well. When our mutual friend introduced us, I was hitting balls on the range. When he said, "OJ this is...." my heart stopped, I was expecting the other OJ and was terrified.

[quote name='John L.' timestamp='1434233496' post='11746068']

[b]Brethren![/b]
[/quote]

Thanks for this post! Class acts in everyone involved from the sounds of it.

[center] Titleist 915D2 8.5* - Graphite Design Tour Ad-Di6s
Titleist 915F 15* - Graphite Design Tour Ad-Di7s[/center]
[center] Titleist 915H 21* - Aldila Rogue 85 S
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW - KBS Tour S
Titleist Vokey SM5 50*F, 56*S, 60*K - KBS Hi-Rev S
Scotty Cameron Newport 2[/center]

[center][url="http://invite.golfmat.ch/m/I6G4g3MqEn"]Find me on GolfMatch App.[/url] - TJ O[/center]