2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Coolest Famous Person You Have Played With

SeanPMcD

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not super famous, butI played with an ex starting QB for my college alma mater. Very nice guy and who was down to earth and blast to play with. Had a ton of great stories about the days when he played as well as great insight to the current program.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

[quote name='John L.' timestamp='1434233496' post='11746068']
I played (2) late afternoon rounds with a guy about 4 years ago. He was a doctor who performed facial reconstruction and other cosmetic surgeries to the kids coming home from Iraq/Afghanistan. I had seen the guy hanging around the putting green, so I asked him if he was waiting on someone. He said that he was a straggler. I told him to go tell the counter person that he was in my group which was booked as a threesome. The guys that I hang with are a pretty rough & tumble, but they are good people. ( [i]retired navy, army, marines[/i]) We had no idea about him until after the round as to who he was. He wasn't very comfortable talking about himself, but he finally came out with it. When he finally coughed it all up, it was the first time in 25-30 years that I saw my buddies actually shut up for more than 2 minutes. The guy worked on a cost basis only. He had done very well for himself prior, and wanted to pay it forward. He was probably one of the most humble guys I have ever been around. After a couple beers, we all agreed to meet again the next afternoon for our usual nassau, and we invited him.

We all played again the next day and had a great time. ([i] arguing, complaining, boasting, teasing, and gamesmanship[/i]) We had our usual 19th hole beers, and each of us gave him hats from our favorite duty stations. I gave him my original ESWS pin ([i] enlisted surface warfare[/i]) that I achieved on the USS Barnstable County. The man almost busted out crying. A couple days later we all showed up at the course, and there was a dozen ProV1's waiting on each of us.

[b]Brethren![/b]
[/quote]

Best one I've read thus far, real heros aren't on TV. Thank you

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

I was lucky enough to meet and become friends with Jim Everett through a mutual friend. He is one of the nicest guys you could ever want to meet with hands the size of a catchers mitt. After playing a few times with Jim one of the guys in our group decided he was gonna bring an NFL football and have him sign it. He brings the ball and then Jim proceeds to tell to start running routes. I told JIm to fire one on him, he wouldn't cause he didn't want to break his hand. He could still throw the ball pretty deep.

Same guy thinks it is funny to start calling him Chris and then ask about the whole incident. Jim had no issues discussing the Jim Rome incident where he "fell" over the table, hahahahahaha. That is the official story on it. He said fox approached him a few years ago to do a reunion or have the two of them get together, JE was all for it Mr Rome, not so much.

Others I have played with:
Fernando Valenzuela (known him for over 20 years, great golfer)
Oscar De La Hoya
Emilio Rivera (From Sons of Anarchy)
Smokey Robinson
Jerry "mouse" Bruner

Also met quite a few other actors out on the course. Most have been real nice, I guess it helps living in LA.

Corba Aerojet LS 9 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 60X 
Taylormade Stealth Plus 15 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 70X

Taylormade Stealth2  3 Rescue 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X Velocore
Titleist T200 4 DGTI X100
T100S 5-PW DGTI X100
SM9 50F DGTI, SM9 54D DGTI, SM7 60D DGTI

EVNROLL EV5.1B - Mid Slant Hosel 34 

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select GoLo 34

L.A.B. DF3 Dodger Blue 35/70 Heavy (On its way!!)

[b]Gen Lloyd W. "Fig" Newton. If you don't know who he is, [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_W._Newton"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_W._Newton[/url] [/b]

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1431221330' post='11529846']
Played with Kevin Kisner two years ago when he was still grinding for his Tour card on the Web.com. Very cool Georgia guy, real laid back and man he pounds it for being a small guy. Definitely pulling for him hard this year, his game seems to be sharp and he is making putts

Also am friends with JR Smith the nba player. Good dude and is awesome, actually a pretty solid player. We've played quite a few rounds together and he got me once with 75 at Caledonia in Myrtle beach.
[/quote]

Kis is a great guy. One of my good friends that played on the PGA Tour saw him grow up and play golf and then taught him for many years, through college and the web.com tour. Through that friend I got to meet and play golf with Kevin a couple of times. You are right he does pound it pretty good for a smallish guy. His attitude and iron play are both phenomenal.

One of my favorite rounds was playing with Kisner and Scott Brown out at Palmetto Golf Club in Aiken, SC in a four man two best ball money game. There were four groups, all were either current web.com, former web/nike or PGA, or scratch or better golfers. I am not ashamed to say that my score was not used a ton and I was a 0 handicap at the time. My score was one of the two lowest only 4 times, and a couple of others we all three with the lowest. We shot a pile under as a team, Kis and Brown obviously carried us making 14 or so birdies, I threw in 5(I think), and I think our fourth threw in 4 or 5. I still have pictures of when Kevin used one of my putters to win the Mylan Classic on the Web.com tour.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

haven't played with him..but congressman Trey Gowdy (Hilary/benghazi fame) walked into my local proshop 6 weeks or so ago while I was waiting for a loft lie check... wearing a bucket hat and a pair of hushpuppies of all things... I looked at him and thought ..." I know that guy ..but from where" then from behind the counter a voice (protecting the innocent) yells "Mr Gowdy".... he wilted.... im guessing trying to be low key...then the voice says " did you kiss Hilary before you left DC last night "..... "he said.... man...that's a low blow... " and walked on my direction behind the counter into the club repair area.... here I am with a congressman I just watched on TV blocking the door in a bucket hat , crazy old man shoes and a pullover rain poncho and shorts.... I don't idolize the guy by any stretch ...but it was just too funny to see the guy in his natural element... I knew he lived in town and had seen him out after church etc ... but not dressed as the gordons fisherman in hushpuppies... you had to be there.. but trust me if you were you would have laughed your a** off on the inside just like me..

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='SPH' timestamp='1446225091' post='12529168']
Rick Flair, former pro wrestler! Not the best golfer out their but AWESOME to play with. Anyone thats a wrestling fan knows his signature "WOOOOO" when ever hed do something crazy. He now does it every time he hits a good drive.
[/quote]

imagine the dream 4 some...the 4 horseman!!!! WHOOOO!!!! To be the man ...you got to beat the man!!!!!

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1446527173' post='12544316']
[quote name='SPH' timestamp='1446225091' post='12529168']
Rick Flair, former pro wrestler! Not the best golfer out their but AWESOME to play with. Anyone thats a wrestling fan knows his signature "WOOOOO" when ever hed do something crazy. He now does it every time he hits a good drive.
[/quote]

imagine the dream 4 some...the 4 horseman!!!! WHOOOO!!!! To be the man ...you got to beat the man!!!!!
[/quote]

I think they put that 4 some on bethpage black, play it all the way back, and put it on tv for everyones enjoyment. That would be hilarious to watch!

first guy was the onwer of a local BBQ chain that I frequent.... was kinda excited when his playing partner told me that he was the owner and how it all started. the second famous person was more legit.. and was a guitar player for a wewll known 80's/90's rock band (forgot the band). He had to stop playing in the middle to do an interview for a live radio show..

I've played with Toby Keith.

I worked at a golf course that he co-owns in Oklahoma, with Barry Switzer (whom I met often at the range).

He was super down to earth, introduced himself and didn't assume I knew who he was. The funniest thing was when he asked me what high school I attended. I went to the same HS he did (the blue collar one). Where I grew up, we had the blue collar HS, and the rich kid HS. There was a big rivalry between them. Just thought it was funny that such a big star would still care about that.

Many years ago I had a chance to play with Greg Norman. It was during the former International Tournament at Castle pines Golf Club in Castle rock, CO. I was invited to play in the afternoon on the adjacent Castle Pines Country Club course and typical for the time of year we got an afternoon thunderstorm so we pulled into the storm shelter, soon two other carts pulled in and one was Greg, his son and two other players he was playing with. He was a great guy and as soon as the storm passed he suggested we all finish out the back nine together. It was special to watch him hit a golf ball, but I was equally amazed by how well his son 12 or 13 years old at the time was hitting the ball.

Jonathan Ogden joined our threesome for nine around the year 2000 at the Legacy in Las Vegas....no back swing or follow thru but hit the ball a mile. On
number 11, pulled his drive straight into some guys potted plant on his second story deck....we could see the dirt explode roughly 200 yrds away. Home owner comes running out and demanded somebody pay him 20 bucks for the pot. We try to explain to him who Jonathon was but the guy was to pissed to listen. Of course we had to loan Mr Ogden 20 bucks to pay the guy,,,cause apparently he wasn't allowed to carry cash on the course anymore. Homeowner caught up to us three holes later on number 13 green with a six pack of beer and returned the 20,,,he must have googled number 75 for the Ravens.

[quote name='jasman29' timestamp='1446065652' post='12520038']
I was lucky enough to meet and become friends with Jim Everett through a mutual friend. He is one of the nicest guys you could ever want to meet with hands the size of a catchers mitt. After playing a few times with Jim one of the guys in our group decided he was gonna bring an NFL football and have him sign it. He brings the ball and then Jim proceeds to tell to start running routes. I told JIm to fire one on him, he wouldn't cause he didn't want to break his hand. He could still throw the ball pretty deep.

Same guy thinks it is funny to start calling him Chris and then ask about the whole incident. Jim had no issues discussing the Jim Rome incident where he "fell" over the table, hahahahahaha. That is the official story on it. He said fox approached him a few years ago to do a reunion or have the two of them get together, JE was all for it Mr Rome, not so much.

Others I have played with:
Fernando Valenzuela (known him for over 20 years, great golfer)
Oscar De La Hoya
Emilio Rivera (From Sons of Anarchy)
Smokey Robinson
Jerry "mouse" Bruner

Also met quite a few other actors out on the course. Most have been real nice, I guess it helps living in LA.
[/quote]

Jim Everett went after Jim Rome in one of the best interviews ever. Rome kept calling him Chrissy (as in Chris Everett). I've always had great respect for him since.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57W05-oopNA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57W05-oopNA[/url]

Much cooler back in the day but on a college spring break golf trip, my friend and I booked 18 at Doral. We were paired with the McCarty twosome. When we got to the tee, we found it was Andrew McCarthy and his manager(this was right after Less than zero came out). He was very cool, and we just played golf without much stargazing..which I think he appreciated. Best part, when we hit the turn at it was noon..he bought us a beer.

[quote name='agray94' timestamp='1447272948' post='12585280']
Much cooler back in the day but on a college spring break golf trip, my friend and I booked 18 at Doral. We were paired with the McCarty twosome. When we got to the tee, we found it was Andrew McCarthy and his manager(this was right after Less than zero came out). He was very cool, and we just played golf without much stargazing..which I think he appreciated. Best part, when we hit the turn at it was noon..he bought us a beer.
[/quote]

Lol.

Titleist 907 D2 w/ V2 67
TM RBZ Stage 2 5W HL 21*
Mizuno MP63 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM4 52 & 58
Odyssey Tour Fill 2 Ball
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1120495-commerce-tigers-odd-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I haven't played a round with anyone famous, but I was part of the plainclothes player security team for the Fred Meyer Challenge in the 90's so I've met and hung out with all the participating players and celebs of that era. Mr. Palmer was by far the most notable. John Daly's famous backwards drive went right over my head. I was assigned to Glenn Frey, at his request, the last 2 years I worked it.

I'm related to Lisa Rinna and Harry Hamlin. Kenny G played at their wedding and when his mic stand broke I held the mic for his sax. Sugar Ray Leonard was also there. We hung out during the reception. Cool dude.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

Somebody who is (was) only famous in my country. When I was a kid, a youth and a young man, she was a program anchor for our national TV and also a presenter of a magazine about theater and opera. When I was about ten years old I thought she was the most beautiful woman in the world, and at the same time she always was extremely sophisticated, what you would call a "Grande Dame" of television around here.
She is pretty much my mother's age and I met her on a golf course when she must have been a little older than 60 and I was about 38 or so. She said "Hello, my name is Eva." And I mumbled something like "I know, I know." She apologized before the round that she was a beginner, but she got around the golf course ok. She was still incredibly beautiful, very nice, very funny and an absolute joy to talk to, because she is educated about almost everything in the history of mankind. And when I read "coolest" in the thread title, this round with this lady came to my mind immediately.

Just so you get an idea of her through the decades:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ62qcgSwz8"]https://www.youtube....h?v=nJ62qcgSwz8[/url]

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH-kzH9yC6E"]https://www.youtube....h?v=YH-kzH9yC6E[/url]

I have also played numerous rounds with a few of our nationally famous stand-up comedians and actors and those were a lot less enjoyable.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to play at my home course with Alice Cooper. Yes, the real Alice Cooper. He was in town for a show in the summer and I guess he decided to play our club. We were already on the course, hardly anyone out there at the time of day, and up comes Alice with a HUGE guy in the cart with him that was his bodyguard. We waved him up at the 5th hole and Alice came up and asked we minded if he joined us. Good player and a great guy. Very quick wit too. Really enjoyed that day.

Depends on who you would consider most famous sports/business guys, but it would be Jim Balsillie co-founder of RIM/Blackberry. Lots of sports guys through work, but not often you get to play with a Billionaire.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

I'' throw a few more in:

36 holes in an event with Brendan Steele

Near misses:

30 minutes beside Moe Norman on the range before a big scramble (has wasn't playing but practicing) ... and then joking around with him in the restaurant before the round
3 holes at Pebble Beach .. in a golf simulator .. with Johnny Miller
Mats Sundin in the group ahead of me at Angus Glen .. when he was the Leaf's captain
Derek Jeter hard on our tail behind our 4 ball in Turks & Caicos

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9