Adams Super 9031 Hybrids

I realize these are a few years old, but picked up a new one from a member on here for cheap, liked it a lot and with the prices I found, went ahead and grabbed the set of 4 (16-18-20-23) to have options.

Anyone still play these, or dump them for any particular reason?

I am very happy so far with the 16 and 20, the 23 showed up yestrday, and the 18 will be here on Tuesday. I mainly grabbed the 18, as I was not sure about a 16* hybrid, but have hit it fine so far. I love the shaft, nice ball flight, solid distance, and very straight. With the smaller profile, would have thought these would be popular. Are the looks an issue (white and "proto")?

...or is 2 years old, just too old these days?

GBB Ventus Black 6
F9 Tour 3w-Ventus black 7
F9 Tour 5w-Smoke 70
F9 21* hybrid - ATMOS black 

F9 24* hybrid Hzrdus smoke 
JPX921F 6-P
T7 48*
MD5 53/58
Toulon Portland Garage 
TM TP5X 
  • 3 months later...

I played one for a full season 20* with Oban Kiyoshi Purple 100 04.

The only issue is that the loft wasn't adjustable (especially for hybrids), I find it nice to be able to tweak to fit your gaps.

I have also noticed what fantastic $'s are out there for these right now... So much so that I ordered a 23*, and will shaft it up with Nunchuk to see if it's a better fit than my 24* UT. My guess is they'll be too big of gap between this and my 5 iron, but we'll see. Would love to find a 24*.

I'm also planning on trying to repaint it with a matte black. At these prices, why not?

PXG Gen2 0811X PX HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60X
'16 TM M2 16.5* HL Veylix Rome 888 
Callaway Mavrick #3H KBS Proto 85
PXG 0311X Black #4 KBS Proto 95
PXG 0311 Black 5/6/7 0311T Black 8/9/W Aerotech SteelFiber 95 S
SM8 Jet Black 50* ; SM7 Jet Black 54* & 58* TT DG Onyx S400
PXG Operator Gen2 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

[quote name='ladahl' timestamp='1440501730' post='12204126']
I played one for a full season 20* with Oban Kiyoshi Purple 100 04.

The only issue is that the loft wasn't adjustable (especially for hybrids), I find it nice to be able to tweak to fit your gaps.

I have also noticed what fantastic $'s are out there for these right now... So much so that I ordered a 23*, and will shaft it up with Nunchuk to see if it's a better fit than my 24* UT. My guess is they'll be too big of gap between this and my 5 iron, but we'll see. Would love to find a 24*.

I'm also planning on trying to repaint it with a matte black. At these prices, why not?
[/quote]

Suprised at a reply on this...lol.

I have the 815 hybrids in the bag now, but still have the 20* and 23* 9031's. I will not sell, as they are not worth much, but great sticks for the price. They could easily go back in the bag if needed, or will work great in the backup bag.

GBB Ventus Black 6
F9 Tour 5w-Smoke 70

JPX921F 6-P
T7 48*
MD5 53/58
Toulon Portland Garage 
TM TP5X 

They are dirt cheap now. I almost pulled the trigger earlier this month on a 23 degree.

I had full intention of getting at least one of these when they came out. Really like the look from address. They didn't work out in testing though - I was hitting them about 15' off the ground. Just low missiles with a lot of run out, not what I look for in a hybrid. Would have been a good driving option with the way it was launching.

Could have been the launch monitor or just my swing that day though. I was surprised, since I typically have super high ball flight with every club in the bag.

Callaway BB Fusion – 10°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Taylormade Juno Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H 

These are definitely low spin. I have one in 20*, but barely use it anymore because I wanted something more forgiving (in an X2 Hot) or a straight driving iron (UDI). This is sort of in between those. They feel nice and solid though, very muted when flushed, and are as long as anything out there. Great value for the price.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/291876-puppetmaster-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Cobra King Ltd 8.5*, Speeder TS 6.2
Callaway Steelhead 4+, Diamana Kai'li
Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump
Cobra Fly Z+, KBS Tour 
Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M

I just switched from a set of Super Idea LS to a single 9031. Honestly I never really used the 23 degree LS at all and rarely used the 19 so a single 20 sets up better for me.

The 9031 is definitely more of a penetrating, low ball flight for me. And for my setup, that's what I needed out of it. The 20 degree will replace my 4 iron (21 degree) for shots where I need to keep it low with more roll out.

They're cannons. I prefer the more wood looking LS to the iron-like 9031. I've got a 9031 on my workshop with a weight port that's broken. So basically I've got one that's busted and is a paperweight. Really the only issue I've seen/heard with them. I sent mine (5 wood and LSP hybrid) to Continental to get the Matte Black work done. Love them.

Adams 9064LS 8.5*/ Aldila CINNAMON 65-X
Adams Super LS Matte Black 18*/ Redboard 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7
Cleveland RTX4 50,56,60/ Tour Raw S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
Tour Issue Drizzle Stick (In case it rains).
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+
WITB Link

The old Pro Black 9031's are still relevant to me. Mine still see course action once in a while , still prefer it over anything Adams did after that.

Cobra F9 9* w/Fuji Atmos
Cobra King LTD 12* w/Fuji Pro
Cobra King LTD 17* w/Diamana S+
Callaway Apex Hybrid w/KK Black 20*
Bstone J15DF 4-PW w/KBS TourV 110
Wilson Tour Model 50 bent to 52*  Scratch EBN 58*
Cushman Big Cat 
Eliott Alistair bag

I may send mine in over the long boring winter to Continental to get them done in SLDR gray like the BC+ head I had done. I have a whole $70 invested in the 2 I have.

GBB Ventus Black 6
F9 Tour 5w-Smoke 70

JPX921F 6-P
T7 48*
MD5 53/58
Toulon Portland Garage 
TM TP5X 

i still use mine when i put a hybrid into the bag... only hybrid i have ever liked... i have the tour deep face one....

2 iron wins 90% for me though...

• Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
  • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
  • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
  • Artisan 46*, 50* C taper X
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

I grabbed a 20 degree head and a Kuro Kage hybrid shaft off the BST a month or so ago. Put it together myself and have been pretty pleased with its performance. Mine launches low, straight bullets that have plenty of roll out. For less than $50 it was totally worth it.

Ping G25 AD DI 7s
TaylorMade Burner 07 FW
Adams Super 9031 3H Proto
TaylorMade Burner 4H
Ping I20 5-U
Ping Glide 54 WS and 58 ES
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I picked up a 20* and 23* super 9031's. In mint shape, $90 for both, taxes in. I Hit them outside instead of into a screen. They are one of the most iron like hybrids. Nice mid penetrating flight, no ballooning at all. I wouldn't put them into a handicap category. I think anyone can hit these, the face is big enough, But I will say, if you have a slice, these probably aren't for you. Having a 100+ driver swing speed would help to take advantage of these hybrids too. I use the 23* as my 3 iron replacement and the 20* as a 2 iron replacement.

• 3 years later...

Hate having a 5 wood and hate a hybrid if the tee on par 3s. So looking to dump my srixon zu65 3 iron 20 to get a 2 hy 18 degree and a dhy 21 driving iron. So I can stiff have something off the tee. And the 2 hy would be out of rough and 215 plus.

Love the srixon but tough to find a stiff enough shaft and lofts dont match up with my set

Jpx 900 forged 5 gw 56

Callaway flash sz driver

Flash 3 wood 15

• 5 months later...

So I hate to revive an old old thread here, but I just came across one of these in a lefty 18* for next to nothing so I thought why not do a little experimenting? That being said, does anyone still game one of these? Do you think the performance and technology is still relevant? I am still waiting for mine to arrive but am looking forward to trying it out. Over the past few years I have been between a Srixon zu65 3 iron and an  Adams Pro Mini hybrid for this slot in the bag. 

4 hours ago, mattTHEkatt said:

So I hate to revive an old old thread here, but I just came across one of these in a lefty 18* for next to nothing so I thought why not do a little experimenting? That being said, does anyone still game one of these? Do you think the performance and technology is still relevant? I am still waiting for mine to arrive but am looking forward to trying it out. Over the past few years I have been between a Srixon zu65 3 iron and an  Adams Pro Mini hybrid for this slot in the bag. 

Absolutely still relevant. ironically, I've gone with a U-65, but the 9031 could easily still be in the bag. It's really just a matter of preference. Some like the look and set-up of a mini-hybird, some prefer the ironwood look. Performance wise, the 9031 is fantastic. Can't even find a spot for it in my back up bag, as I have an Mp-h5 3 iron there, so the 9031 simply sits in the corner wondering why it's not in the game. 

I picked one up recently and love it. I had put a stock Kuro Kage in it that I took out of my (2016) Apex hybrid, but felt like I needed something more iron like, so a Modus 105 was swapped in it. Most iron like hybrid I’ve ever played. It’s not crazy long, but fills the gap nicely. It knocked my 716 T-MB 2 and 3 iron out of my bag, being that it was right in the middle of the both for distance. Sometimes my 2 iron will find its way back in, but I drop another club to keep the Super 9031 proto in play. How are you liking the 16*? 

I’m looking to drop my (2016) Apex 2 hybrid due to its flight being too high, and have considered trying to find a 16* because if it’s penetrating flight. 

if you don’t like the white, you could  take it to a local auto body shop and have it painted if you talk to the right guy. 

18 hours ago, mattTHEkatt said:

Adams hybrids are still awesome... I'm still gaming mine. In another thread a guy is looking for an LS hybrid because nothing currently really competes with it.

The new callaway hybrids look interesting and have been advertised as "wood replacements".

Anything that achieves max COR is going to be relevant... 

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7