Ping i-e Irons?

Nessism

The amusing thing about four and now five wedge bags is it's almost entirely a creation of average players. For most of golf history, there's been a 6° or even 8° gap between the PW and the "sand iron" at the pro level. In the 60s, it was 52/58 or even 60, around 1980 it was 50/56 or 58, and it eventually got to 48/56 in the 90s.

Ultimately, it's really "horses for courses." Whatever works for each person is what works. Golf is definitely not "one size fits all" :)

In the 60's (and even the 70's) there weren't many 58* or 60* wedges in play at any level.

Typical bag of a pro in the 60's was

Driver, 3 wood,1-PW, SW (56*) and putter. 5 wood sometimes in place of a 1 iron.

If the players of old played with today's clubs in today's courses, they'd have 4 wedges too. Players are longer, gaps are created, 4 wedges are a necessity for most.

I totally agree. It's just back then nobody had a "lob" wedge. 56* was pretty much the limit... Of Course a PW was usually 49*/50* back then too.

That's one of those urban myths, for lack of a better term, that's been created by (IMHO) the age of many folks on golf forums (or their parents), and the point of time that's fixed in their minds from their early days of golf. Plenty of early Sand Irons were 58° or 60°, something that continued even into the 60s and 70s.

A classic wedge collector acquaintance from another golf forum has spoken many times of the absurd number of 60° and 58° wedges in his collection...

That may or may not be true.... But the vast majority of SW of the 60's and 70's were 56*.

TM M2 2017 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 65 S
Ping G400 14.5 PING Tour 80g S
Ping Anser 17* 23* PING Tour  S
PING iE1 5-PW Modus3 105 S
PING Glide 2.0 50* 54* 60* Modus 115 Wedge S
BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

Well I have had my clubs since last September and I have at least 20 rounds with them now. So I figure I would give a little update since the topic seems to still have interest. These are very forgiving. Very straight, and still very workable. I have hit several shots off the toe and lost very little direction and still had pretty good distance. The only issue I have is the finish. The finish is showing a decent amount of wear. Enough to where probably this next winter I will send them back to Ping for a refinish. The soles show some decent scratching also. The backs are showing some finish wear do to bag chatter. All in all I love these clubs, the feel and forgiveness are second to none.

Ping I25 9 degree x flex
TEE 4 wood
Ping I series 4-Gap PX 6.0
Ping Glide 54 degree
Ping Glide 58 degree
Machine M1A custom

I don't understand what you guys are talking about with the finish... are you talking about something that is messed up, or are you just talking about the way the face discolors from hitting the golf ball, dirt, ect?

Mine just are "discolored" in the hitting area compared to what they did originally. But thats normal. My old ISI steels did the same thing. So i don't think there is anything "wrong" with the finish being used.

Are you guys seeing something different? I know the guy that sent his back for bead blasting, his did something goofy, so I get that.

Just wondering if I am not looking at the same thing you guys are.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

I don't understand what you guys are talking about with the finish... are you talking about something that is messed up, or are you just talking about the way the face discolors from hitting the golf ball, dirt, ect?

Mine just are "discolored" in the hitting area compared to what they did originally. But thats normal. My old ISI steels did the same thing. So i don't think there is anything "wrong" with the finish being used.

Are you guys seeing something different? I know the guy that sent his back for bead blasting, his did something goofy, so I get that.

Just wondering if I am not looking at the same thing you guys are.

I don't feel like the finish is doing anything it shouldn't. The wear I am talking about is in my opinion a little more than what I had in my AP1 irons. I understand they are the same metal. Again I don't think it is anything but normal wear. Though I am surprised on how much wear the soles show, or I am just catching a lot of small rocks.

Ping I25 9 degree x flex
TEE 4 wood
Ping I series 4-Gap PX 6.0
Ping Glide 54 degree
Ping Glide 58 degree
Machine M1A custom

Grape gravy!

I gotcha. I just remember guys saying there were finish issues with some of the other irons. I have never had any issues personally, but wasn't sure if I would even notice it if I did. I know I am a digger sometimes. So I would definitely be the one that would mess them up I would think.

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

a lot of small rocks.

LMAO!!!!!!!! This is what I was thinking. Must have a lot of witches on that course. :-)

[size=3][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4]Taylor Made M1 2016 Driver- set square 9.5 degree. Kuro Kage 60g stiff.[/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taylor Made M2 2016 3W- stock still shaft.[/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping-I irons-3-pw 1dgree flat. Nippon Pro Modus 105 stiff- hard stepped 1.[/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vokey Wedges 50,54,60.[/font][/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taylor Made OS Spider Putter[/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4]MCC +4 Grips[/color][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4]Pro V1 [/color][/font][/size]

That must be why I miss all those two footers. The bewitched the hole.

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

The ie1's have that infamous Ping face coating paint stuff which wears off. They also paint the back cavity area of the head, and bag chatter can cause this paint to chip off too.

The heads are 431 stainless steel, which is medium soft and prone to scratching and marking, more so than 17-4 stainless anyway.

The clubs will still be very durable, more so than a forged iron, but they won't have that famous bulletproof eye2 level of durability. They look a darn sight nicer when new though.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I like the way mine are wearing in. About 2 rounds a week since November plus about 10 buckets of range balls.

Makes me look like I play all the time.

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

I posted in here about 30 pages back (Which is a testament to how awesome these clubs are) that literally the only thing I would complain about is that the toe area seems to scratch a little easier. I don't know if its the softer metal or the finish they put on it but they just kind of scuff up a bit.

Over time the marks kind of just went dull or I stopped noticing them. For the people on the fence, don't think this means they scratch or get dinged. The clubs are still PING quality. I just noticed it enough to comment about it.

Heck I had a forged set of Titleist blades roughly a decade ago and if I breathed on them wrong they got dinged. I got used to it but I sure took a hit trying to sell those war cannons.

No rusting or anything and the exact results I hoped for from day one. Consistent, long and forgiving while still looking good and not 'too shovely'

Definitely a winner, IMO.

So I got the new irons… WOOT!!! Here is what I ordered:

i-Iron 3-PW

Nippon Modus 105 stiff shaft, hard stepped once with cushin insert.

Stnd Length and lofts

Red dot

Aqua Grips

Quick Background, play to a 1 or scratch and hit the ball a good distance for a 50 yr old :-) I am coming from the S56 with KBS tour X-stiff(130grams). Played those for about 3 years and they were a good iron for me but I was definitely a low ball hitter with those. If I had a tucked pin and had to hit a high cut that was a tough shot for me with those KBS shafts. So wanted to go to a lighter shaft and see if I could change things up a bit.

First review of the clubs are… WOW they go high!! So went to range and had a good 1-2 club wind into me. When I say they go high it was not a balloon.. a couple were but that was just bad swings. They seem to just have a boring high flight to them. The ball just really wants to go straight. I am not completely sure of distance gained or lost more swings needed and some rounds under my belt. I did notice that with the 3-5 irons that with that lighter shaft I had to watch my tempo. I will update as I get some more time in with these, but first 30 balls I think I have made the right choice.

Biggest thing is I think the irons are spot on its just I am going to have to get use to these shafts.

My Initial pros and cons. On my setup only not just the irons.

Pros:

Solid soft feeling club head.

Great turf interaction.

Nice high ball flight.

Mis hits are not as bad as S56’s were

Cushin insert is great did not think I would notice a difference but I can!

Cons:

These clubs are going to get scratched up…. But I don’t care much as long as I am scoring with them.

Going to have to work a bit to flight these down when needed.

On the longer irons can see the bottom of the cavity sticking out at address. I will get use to this I hope :-)

Thanks

Charlie

[size=3][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4]Taylor Made M1 2016 Driver- set square 9.5 degree. Kuro Kage 60g stiff.[/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taylor Made M2 2016 3W- stock still shaft.[/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping-I irons-3-pw 1dgree flat. Nippon Pro Modus 105 stiff- hard stepped 1.[/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vokey Wedges 50,54,60.[/font][/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taylor Made OS Spider Putter[/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4]MCC +4 Grips[/color][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4]Pro V1 [/color][/font][/size]

So I got the new irons… WOOT!!! Here is what I ordered:

i-Iron 3-PW

Nippon Modus 105 stiff shaft, hard stepped once with cushin insert.

Stnd Length and lofts

Red dot

Aqua Grips

Quick Background, play to a 1 or scratch and hit the ball a good distance for a 50 yr old :-) I am coming from the S56 with KBS tour X-stiff(130grams). Played those for about 3 years and they were a good iron for me but I was definitely a low ball hitter with those. If I had a tucked pin and had to hit a high cut that was a tough shot for me with those KBS shafts. So wanted to go to a lighter shaft and see if I could change things up a bit.

First review of the clubs are… WOW they go high!! So went to range and had a good 1-2 club wind into me. When I say they go high it was not a balloon.. a couple were but that was just bad swings. They seem to just have a boring high flight to them. The ball just really wants to go straight. I am not completely sure of distance gained or lost more swings needed and some rounds under my belt. I did notice that with the 3-5 irons that with that lighter shaft I had to watch my tempo. I will update as I get some more time in with these, but first 30 balls I think I have made the right choice.

Biggest thing is I think the irons are spot on its just I am going to have to get use to these shafts.

My Initial pros and cons. On my setup only not just the irons.

Pros:

Solid soft feeling club head.

Great turf interaction.

Nice high ball flight.

Mis hits are not as bad as S56’s were

Cushin insert is great did not think I would notice a difference but I can!

Cons:

These clubs are going to get scratched up…. But I don’t care much as long as I am scoring with them.

Going to have to work a bit to flight these down when needed.

On the longer irons can see the bottom of the cavity sticking out at address. I will get use to this I hope :-)

Thanks

Charlie

I have the same Basic set up as you. I too love how they hit the ball high without ballooning.

TM M2 2017 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 65 S
Ping G400 14.5 PING Tour 80g S
Ping Anser 17* 23* PING Tour  S
PING iE1 5-PW Modus3 105 S
PING Glide 2.0 50* 54* 60* Modus 115 Wedge S
BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

• 1 month later...

These irons seem to have surface finish issue, which is a bit disappointing (for Ping irons).

For those who have gone from Ping i20 to I-e, was it worth it?

Ping G425 10.5 / Ping G410
Callaway UW 17*
Ping G410 4H
Cobra F7 EL 4i
Ping i200 6-UW / i500 5-PW Power Spec / i210 5-PW
Ping Glide 4.0 54/58
SC Phantom x 9.5 

Anyone playing the CFS X-stiff in these? How does that shaft compare to better known shafts?

Cally Epic Speed w/ Accra
Titleist TSR3 16.5 w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5
Ping G425 3 Hybrid w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Ping iCrossover 4 Iron w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Srixon ZX7 5-PW w/ PXLZ 6.0
Cally Jaws Raw w/ TIS400
Ping Fetch/Ping Lil'B

Is the Project X 5.5 a standard option? Ping's site only lists the 5.0 and 6.0, but I was fitted for 5.5s in the I E1s.

The 5.5 is listed under their custom shafts.

Am I safe to assume there is no upcharge? Any recommendations for an online retailer or they all about the same with Ping's pricing policy?

I know a few guys in the beginning had to argue for the 5.5 but it's was no up-charge.

Worst case you can soft step the 6.0s if they are being d*cks. Play the military card as well and don't forget if you do buy them, you get money back.

I know a rep I can inquire with if you want.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Is the Project X 5.5 a standard option? Ping's site only lists the 5.0 and 6.0, but I was fitted for 5.5s in the I E1s.

Am I safe to assume there is no upcharge? Any recommendations for an online retailer or they all about the same with Ping's pricing policy?

I know a few guys in the beginning had to argue for the 5.5 but it's was no up-charge.

Worst case you can soft step the 6.0s if they are being d*cks. Play the military card as well and don't forget if you do buy them, you get money back.

Tex - thanks for the help again! If you know a local rep and it's not a problem, please ask them about 5.5s as a standard shaft. I can't find an online retailer that lets you select them as an option. Thanks!

Tex - thanks for the help again! If you know a local rep and it's not a problem, please ask them about 5.5s as a standard shaft. I can't find an online retailer that lets you select them as an option. Thanks!

I'll hit him up tomorrow and let you know.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I went to a demo today and tried out the Ping I E 1 for the first time. All I can say is WOW!

I am blown away. They are just fun to hit. They were a perfect profile and looked great. He gave me the standard stock shift shaft and I felt it was too light so I went to my normal s300 shaft and it felt like straight money. I cannot get over how great these felt.

I read the thread and saw some issues with wear but anything else I should be weary of?

Thanks all!

I still have a new set of these for sell in the BST forum for anyone interested. I thought I wanted them, but decided I still wanted some irons with more of a blade look. They are incredibly forgiving though!

Titleist TSi2 10° w/Ventus Blue 6x w/VeloCore

Titleist TSi2 15° w/Ventus Blue 7x w/VeloCore
Titleist TSi2 21° w/Ventus Blue 8x w/VeloCore
Titleist T100S (2021) 4-PW w/PX LZ 6.0
Vokey SM8 Raw 52.12F, 56.10S, and 60.08M
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5 34"
Pro V1