Fox Broadcast - US Open

TKD24

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like the tech Fox brought in, too bad the rest was a trainwreck.

• Callaway Epic Max Mitsubishi MMT 60X
  • Callaway Epic Max  3W 14.5* Mitsubishi MMT 70X
  • Ping G410 Hybrid 19* Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX
  • Mizuno HMB 4 iron, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 
  • Mizuno MMC 5-PW, KBS $-Taper 130x
  • Titleist Vokey SM7 52F, Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56, and Vokey SM8 60M
  • Odyssey White OG 7s

[quote name='topr' timestamp='1434936413' post='11804364']
[quote name='Illest' timestamp='1434936032' post='11804282']
Fox needs more SVP. Give ESPN all the majors.
[/quote]

Give ESPN nothing...all they will do is make it an all day promo for ESPN
[/quote]

Fine...just let SVP do it all.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Titleist 910D3 Tour AD-DI
Titleist 910F 19* Project X
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW KBS Tour-V
Titleist SM5 50*F/54*M/58*K KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Select Newport[/font]

[quote name='SullGolf' timestamp='1434941429' post='11805790']
Honestly, I had no problem all week with the coverage. But Buck's last question calling out the course was dumb. And then they have Shane come out and give some crappy pre-taped segment "while the ceremony is concluding" AKA while Jordan is starting to speak? Terrible.
[/quote]
Spieth didn't fall for his trap question about the course and thanked the fans. Bob Jones would have approved. Well done!

Titleist TS3 8.5 HZDRUS 60 6.5
Titleist TS3 15 HZDRUS 70 6.5
Titleist 818H2 19 Aldila Phenom HYB 85 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 UT 21 KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 4-PW KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind and 58/8 C Grind KBS $Taper 120 S
Scotty Cameron Futura X 35"
Titleist Pro V1x

This was really terrible coverage. Not just Buck. Norman added very little and was not at all interesting. Holly was just ridiculous with the post-round interviews.

Visually it was better but it was still clear that on many occasions the director had no clue what to cut to, so there were just endless ultra closeup shots of players' faces.

[quote name='Judge Smails' timestamp='1434941713' post='11805870']
How long does Fox have the US Open contract?? Counting the days. . .
[/quote]

4,015 give or take a few days.

• Odyssey White OG 7s

[quote name='golfcarte' timestamp='1434941266' post='11805728']
the music choices were so eclectic...it was like the anti-masters.

[quote name='tatertot' timestamp='1434941109' post='11805714']
He's accomplishing things in a Bob Jones manner ... Perfect wrap up to the Fox broadcast.
[/quote]

well had they said Mr. Jones, they probably would've played counting crows.

[quote name='Gamble Gamble' timestamp='1434941133' post='11805720']
[quote name='FLGOLFJUNKIE' timestamp='1434940861' post='11805662']
I hate Joe Buck.
[/quote]

He hates a few cities but none as bad as Philly.

I like to think that the reason he hates Philly is that the love of his life cheated on him with an Eagles fan while said Eagles fan was eating a cheesesteak and a Tasty Kake. #StickToRuiningBaseball
[/quote]

kinda like Bob Trumpy and Pittsburgh back in the day. I can relate.
[/quote]Patriots fans always thought Trumpy had it in for them also especially when he always bashed Steve Grogan

[quote name='cbbaron' timestamp='1434941845' post='11805908']
[quote name='golfcarte' timestamp='1434941266' post='11805728']
the music choices were so eclectic...it was like the anti-masters.

[quote name='tatertot' timestamp='1434941109' post='11805714']
He's accomplishing things in a Bob Jones manner ... Perfect wrap up to the Fox broadcast.
[/quote]

well had they said Mr. Jones, they probably would've played counting crows.

[quote name='Gamble Gamble' timestamp='1434941133' post='11805720']
[quote name='FLGOLFJUNKIE' timestamp='1434940861' post='11805662']
I hate Joe Buck.
[/quote]

He hates a few cities but none as bad as Philly.

I like to think that the reason he hates Philly is that the love of his life cheated on him with an Eagles fan while said Eagles fan was eating a cheesesteak and a Tasty Kake. #StickToRuiningBaseball
[/quote]

kinda like Bob Trumpy and Pittsburgh back in the day. I can relate.
[/quote]Patriots fans always thought Trumpy had it in for them also especially when he always bashed Steve Grogan
[/quote]

bet super bowl XX had to hurt as well.

so, did you dvr celebrity family feud tonight?

[quote name='Seamus McDuff' timestamp='1434941725' post='11805876']
C- for the week. They'll get better.
[/quote]

Some of it will improve but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Joe Back to get better.

• Odyssey White OG 7s

They can fix the audio issues and other assorted production hiccups, they can dump Holly's awkward interviews (or dump Holly completely), they can ditch the lame music going to commercials as well as the overproduced video segments -- but as long as they have Joe Buck the Open coverage will suck. His voice is so monotone and droning, and instead of saying interesting things he sticks to one-liner cliches. He's terrible in baseball and football, and now he's terrible in golf, too. Just another genetic lottery winner riding the coat tails of his much more talented father. Buck sucks.

[quote name='FargoRC' timestamp='1434942478' post='11806062']
[quote name='Seamus McDuff' timestamp='1434941725' post='11805876']
C- for the week. They'll get better.
[/quote]

Some of it will improve but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Joe Back to get better.
[/quote]

I'm hoping they'll dump him.

Thought the Fox broadcast did an excellent job at lowering the number of commercials,
especially for the last three groups over the closing holes. Fox did very well
with this great tourneyment .

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Horrible Fox broadcast, but it was their first. Menefee has to be gone. I thought Buck and Faxon were the only decent ones. I almost wanted Berman back.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Absolutely the worst in history of broadcasting. What a group of unprepared stumbling dolts. Joe Buck snore, Greg Norman what insight was offered (worse than Faldo which seemed impossible), Tom Wieskopf someone wake him up, Brad Faxon get a modern haircut and quit agreeing with Norman on everything (or loan Greg a few strands for the 7 hairs he has left up front), Sean Odona whatever where did they dig this character up, someone buy that Menafee bozo (who replaces Berman as they biggest buffoon) from Fox football a teleprompter stammer, blubber, what was the word I was looking for, Juli Inkster hardly said anything which was a blessing, Corey Pavin was good by comparison. What a collection of zeros. And the plastic surgeons favorite subject hardly deserves mention, really liked that staring at the big scorecard and asking mind numbed questions (what is happening to her face, looks like candle wax drooping). Add to that a course that might be used for that new golf channel dumb reality series altered courses. Sure doesn't belong hosting a major. Looked like a Sand, Gravel, and Rock pit, OH that is what it was...

2 decent stories...Jordan Spieth is the real deal and the guts of Jason Day playing through vertigo..

Too bad the rest of the USGA tournaments have to be spoiled by this crew. It is like they were all Fox could get. You would hate to think they were intentionally hired after interviews.

Hopefully there will be no more courses like this dirt pile (can't remember any course with different grasses and mixtures on every green)..

WAIT, Please tell me this is a One-and-Done contract for FOX to cover a US Open....OR ANY GOLF TOURNAMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I painfully watched the 60" 4K-HDTV Live coverage then tried to switch to the Live video stream on my 15" computer. I was disappointed that the "Live feed" was DEAD!

Too many issues to mention but the coverage wasn't anything near professional as NBC/Golf Channel. Spieth showed his maturity and kindness by not falling for Joe Buck's "trap question" to bash the course. Another reason why Spieth is a crowd favorite...Joe Buck and FOX, NOT so much!

I loved watching this tournament. Fox could have been better but I don't watch for the commentary as I know more about golf than Joe Buck. But no there won't be an Emmy awarded for the broadcast.

That being said TGC post game coverage is excellent. Duval and Nobilo are top shelf. I don't even mind Brandel all that much as long as those guys keep him in check. With the 3 of them Lerner doesn't get to talk that much so it works out well.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I think Joe Buck had a rather tough first day. Saying things like "Phil is really doing some good ball hitting" doesn't help his cred. Thankfully he stopped calling Greg Norman "Shark" after the first day. Seven or eight hours of "Shark" was getting old.
Holly, Holly, Holly. Everything thing about her involvement in the broadcast was awkward. WAY too much makeup, bad camera angles, and not a single decent question the whole freaking tournament. Perhaps we need to blame the producer (s), but she sucked, and she wasn't the only one.
This whole broadcast made me appreciate CBS, NBC, and others much more.

I've been holding off on adding to this thread because there have been enough negative posts; however, adding watching today's coverage, I'm truly embarrassed. This is our national open, supposedly the pinnacle of US golf, and instead we have a bunch of bozoos employing tacky, superficial ploys to drum up ratings from non-golf fans. If you want to corporatize the northern trust open or the travelers with gimmics, that's fine but don't experiment with our national open. There are a few things in sports that shouldn't be viewed from a solely monetary perspective, and the US Open is one. Instead of dumbing down the coverage and treating it like a NASCAR event, what about we aspire to be better and, taking a page out of BBC's notebook with their Open coverage, attract new viewers by showing the golf because the US Open is a wonderful event in its current form.

[quote name='elcgolf' timestamp='1434945327' post='11806712']
There are a few things in sports that shouldn't be viewed from a solely monetary perspective, and the US Open is one. Instead of dumbing down the coverage and treating it like a NASCAR event
[/quote]

well, in all fairness, they way they had the stands set up at 18, it did look like the back stretch at talladega.

[quote name='Stu Knod' timestamp='1434943516' post='11806336']WAIT, Please tell me this is a One-and-Done contract for FOX to cover a US Open....OR ANY GOLF TOURNAMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I painfully watched the 60" 4K-HDTV Live coverage then tried to switch to the Live video stream on my 15" computer. I was disappointed that the "Live feed" was DEAD!

Too many issues to mention but the coverage wasn't anything near professional as NBC/Golf Channel. Spieth showed his maturity and kindness by not falling for Joe Buck's "trap question" to bash the course. Another reason why Spieth is a crowd favorite...Joe Buck and FOX, NOT so much![/quote]
I think it's a ten year deal! Ten long years!

[quote name='Stu Knod' timestamp='1434943516' post='11806336']WAIT, Please tell me this is a One-and-Done contract for FOX to cover a US Open....OR ANY GOLF TOURNAMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I painfully watched the 60" 4K-HDTV Live coverage then tried to switch to the Live video stream on my 15" computer. I was disappointed that the "Live feed" was DEAD!

Too many issues to mention but the coverage wasn't anything near professional as NBC/Golf Channel. Spieth showed his maturity and kindness by not falling for Joe Buck's "trap question" to bash the course. Another reason why Spieth is a crowd favorite...Joe Buck and FOX, NOT so much![/quote]